Cricket

Pink Mist

apparently it was closing time in the hotel and they were a bit tardy in leaving. This slime bag boucer apparently got a bit mouthy with one of the wives and used some "f" words to her and Hooksie told the guy it wasnt on. They left this slime bag apparently followed him outside and king hit him, he was knocked out and not breathing and when ambulance arrived had to revive him so probably dead too long they are gonna announce from hospital soon will let you know. :o

Guest IT Manager

From the Sydney Morning Herald, 19 January, 2004

The whole item

Former Test cricketer David Hookes died tonight, his brother Terry Cranagh told journalists this evening.

Hookes' brother Cranagh told journalists the 48-year-old died in the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne from injuries sustained after being bashed outside a Melbourne hotel last night.

Hookes and his Victorian teammates had been having celebratory drinks at the Beaconsfield Hotel in inner-suburban St Kilda after winning an ING Cup game against South Australia.

A hotel bouncer was charged with assault over the attack, and has been released on bail after appearing in the Melbourne Magistrates Court today.

Mr Cranagh told journalists he and his family wanted to thank paramedics, bystanders and Alfred hospital staff who attempted to help his brother.

"We'd also like to thank community members who expressed their support at this difficult time," he said.

Mr Cranagh said the Hookes family was grateful to Cricket Australia and Cricket Victoria for their support.

He said the family's thoughts were with Hookes' past and present team-mates.

"We trust the police will conduct a full investigation into the cause of the incident and that the justice process will provide us with some insight into what occurred," he said.

Prime Minister John Howard tonight mourned the death of David Hookes, saying he was an accomplished cricketer and immensely likeable person.

Mr Howard said in a statement: "The tragic death of David Hookes, in such violent circumstances, will sadden not only cricket fans but all Australians.

"He was an exciting and accomplished test cricketer, a talented broadcaster and an immensely likeable person.

"His ability and enthusiasm gave inspiration and encouragement to many young cricketers. To his wife and family I extend my deepest sympathy. There are many of their fellow Australians who will be thinking of them tonight."

Tributes and expressions of sympathy flowed for Hookes and his family as a man arrested over the incident faced Melbourne Magistrates Court.

Witnesses' accounts of the incident vary somewhat, but about 11.45pm (AEDT) as his group was leaving, Hookes was punched and he fell heavily.

Paramedics worked hard to revive Hookes while police took Zdravco Micevic in for questioning.

Early today, pub bouncer Micevic, 21, of Ruth Street, St Albans, Melbourne was charged with one count of common law assault and he appeared before Melbourne Magistrates Court.

Magistrate Peter Couzens remanded the case until April 13.

It looks likely that further charges will be laid, police doing mirror job. This is the second incident the bouncer has been involved in, the last was only 2 months ago according to 9 news report.

Still taking most of the time in news coverage here and tributes flowing in from all over the world, naturally little jonny put in his worthless 2 cent comment.

What a waste of a life.

No Boycott, thank god, he scored a bit quicker than that, first class century off 34 balls.

The "Pura Cup" scheduled for this week between SA and vic has been postponed for the players to come to terms with his loss.

I cant help feeling that "Hooksie" would be saying "come on guys get on with it"

:o

I cant beleive that some pommie **** mentioned a name like that in relation to the death of a player like David Hookes - sacriligious ! The pommie player mentioned was the most boring cricketer to walk the face of the planet. No wonder pommie cricket is so ******!

Indecorous items edited.

Edited by IT Manager

There is no news of Mr Zdravco Micevic in any Search Engine.It must be a false passport or they have the WRONG name !!!!

Man charged in cricket star death

MELBOURNE, Australia -- A 21-year-old crowd-controller has been charged with assault and released on bail following the death of former Australian cricketer David Hookes.

Hookes died Monday after being was allegedly punched by Zdravco Micevic during a brawl late Sunday night outside a hotel in the southern Australian city of Melbourne.

The 48-year-old Hookes was the coach of the Victorian state cricket side and a well-known television and radio sporting commentator.

Media reports Tuesday say the assault followed a verbal confrontation between Hookes and crowd control staff at hotel where he and members of the Victorian cricket side were celebrating a recent interstate victory.

Hookes, known for his straight-shooting style, overheard a remark made towards the girlfriend of one of his players by a hotel crowd controller.

Hookes is believed to have shared a few sharp words with a man before departing at closing with a group of about 10 friends, The Australian Associated Press reports.

The dispute spilled out on to the street, with three bouncers allegedly following Hookes and the group.

Neighbors say they were woken by shouting and screaming and reported seeing the two groups pushing and shoving on the road.

One resident said he heard someone say, "You want to play smart mouth, now face the music", before a punch sent Hookes to the ground.

Hookes lay unconscious and motionless on the street as friends tried to wake him.

Hookes was revived by ambulance paramedics at the scene after his heart stopped beating but he never regained consciousness.

The likeable Hookes had been a celebrity in cricket-mad Australia since he made his international debut in the Centenary Test against England in 1977.

He played 23 Tests and 39 one-day internationals.

Australian cricket star Steve Waugh, a former national captain, said he was "physically sickened" by news of the attack. Current captain Ricky Ponting added: "Everybody's in a state of shock and no-one can believe what's really happened."

I cant beleive that some pommie **** mentioned a name like that in relation to the death of a player like David Hookes - sacriligious ! The pommie player mentioned was the most boring cricketer to walk the face of the planet. No wonder pommie cricket is so ******!

Indecorous items edited.

Im with you ned and bronco on geoffrey boycott - if you were going to pick a great player from England, it defiantely wouldnt the first name I would choose!

I dont know how you guys are feeling but I feel really pissed off, this guy should be jailed for murder as I am sure it will come out that Hooksey, a 48 year old bloke definately didnt throw the first punch.

I remember my old man saying once (a few months ago) that he was walking down the street in Adelaide and a few teenagers pushed him out the way - Younger blokes have no respect for older generations - fancy a 21 year old guy beating up a 48 year old man - I cannot fathom this.

What a sad state of affairs - hang the prick!

The latest news is that the Family have donated his organs and up to 12 people may benefit from his death, I reckon Hooksie would've been happy to see this happen. :D

They took the sleazbags passport away so I am wondering if he is on some sort of visa and foreign passport. So give the bastard 30 years then send him back to whatever rat hole he climbed out of. :o

I remember David Hookes debut series in the UK in 1977. Very dashing and positive middle-order batsman - and with the Chappell brothers that was a hard slot to fulfil.

In the third test at Trent Bridge, Geoffrey Boycott, returning to the England ranks, batted on all five days, and scored a first innings ton - 106.

In the fourth test at Headingly, Geoffrey scored 191, that being his hundredth first class century. This paved the way for a historic Ashes triumph!

So sad what has happened to David, (I got his autograph when I was a little boy). All cricket fans will mourn him.

Hookes hotel vandalised

January 21, 2004

A BRICK has been thrown through the window of the hotel where Australian cricket legend David Hookes was bashed to death.

A hand-written note was attached to the brick, which read: "Payment is due".

Police today confirmed they were investigating an act of criminal damage at the Beaconsfield Hotel in St Kilda overnight.

A spokeswoman said they were still establishing what time the incident took place.

Hookes, the Victorian cricket coach, had been at the hotel on Sunday night celebrating the team's one-day win over South Australia just before he was assaulted.

Witness accounts of the incident vary, but agree that at about 11.45pm as his group was leaving the pub, Hookes was punched once, fell heavily and hit his head.

Paramedics revived him after about 30 minutes and the 48-year-old was taken to The Alfred hospital.

Hookes' family members decided to turn off the life-support system about 7pm on Monday.

A 21-year-old bouncer from the hotel, Zdravco Micevi, has been charged with assault over the incident.

....and a lot more like veiled racism against strangely-named immigrants.

You mean against "other" strangely named immigrants! :o

While David [RIP] is playing his greatest innings in the big blue, its about time some admins stepped in and closed this thread.

I knew David and he wasn't a fight starting type. I also knew the previous Victorian coach John Scholes who died lasst year after a heart attack, aged 53.

RIP to both.

Bronco, I know it's off the subject but you are listening to talkback radio (Melbourne ? 3AW ?) Can you tell me how to do this here...what would I need ?

More to the point, this thread is interesting as it raises the question of violence in society ! I have noticed some people here saying that they cant go into a pub in the UK without fear of being bashed. What has the world come too ? This sort of thing is crap and needs to be stopped. Imagine if everyone in the UK could carry a gun like in many places inthe US........it would be mayhem.....bodies piling up on the steps of every pub !!

Violence may be funny and an adventure for some, but for the victim it is no joke. Some people live in fear their whole life and dont know what it is like to feel free from fear.

Maybe David Hookes was a little drunk and made a samrt comment or whatever to the bouncer......but why did the bouncer king hit him.......dont they rtrain these idiots that people who are drunk may say things that are nasty.......shock horror ....so what let them say whatever but be smart and allow them to vent and walk away.

You are a bouncer, you are not pissed to the eyeballs, you have your faculties and are probably big and strong, but just because you have a small penis and dress in womens clothes behind cloesd doors, does not mean you can go around killing others because you are angry at your mum !! So all you thug headed idiots out there beware, what goes around comes around !! One day you will hit someone will shakle his head and turn around and give you a hiding.......maybe you wont wake up !!

I knew David and he wasn't a fight starting type. I also knew the previous Victorian coach John Scholes who died lasst year after a heart attack, aged 53.

RIP to both.

Bronco, I know it's off the subject but you are listening to talkback radio (Melbourne ? 3AW ?) Can you tell me how to do this here...what would I need ?

No Bob listening to 5AA in Adelaide (in Adelaide) will have a look at internet radio for you if you want.

2 things I want to add here, in Victoria the bouncers do not do any formal training and they do not have stringent controls. Aparently the Australian Security Institute was working with the Victorian Police for 6 years in the early 90's to establish a code of conduct and a form of training. None of those reccomendations have been put in place by the government. Victoria is the least licensed/controled state in the Country as far as the Security/Crowd control industry goes.

The other thing sadly is that this morning on TV the bouncers are claiming that Hooksy threw a punch at one of the bouncers before the event in another area, I somehow doubt that but I was not there. One thing for sure the bouncer in question should be charged with manslaughter not the current assault charge. There is absoloutly no justification at all for anyone to king hit someone after the event when the guy was down the road getting into his car. Oh I just read the above post, it's about time it was changed to manslaughter.