Thai Military Draft And Exemptions

connda

I don't want to increase your stress level, but to make you aware, a lot of the guys inducted by draft into the army are getting sent to the meatgrinder in the South now. Someone I know was just mildly injured (ear damage) in the recent bombing of Narathiwat (4 guys died and others were more seriously injured). So it's not a good time to be an army cadet in Thailand, especially a draftee.

If it was me, and I was that worried -- Thai Navy or Thai Air Force. Less likely to be put into harms way in those two services.

Looking at the state of their equipment, it could be equally dangerous there as well. rolleyes.gif

Indeed, spending two years at Puckapunyal shaving 20% off my IQ and subjecting myself to regular military hazing something I sure could have done with. I mean, who needs university?...

Yeah, bullying is quite common in the army too. Was a story recently in the Thai press where one of the recruits was 'bullied' to death by superior officers. Happens in armies outside Thailand too.

Interesting video about the Thai Army/Navy lottery process as it happens in Muslim South Thailand which was posted up here before.

Thanks for sharing that, interesting to watch.

I'd read about the conscription draw process before, but interesting to see film of what actually goes on.

Never mind. Just answered my own question. University students are exempted from the draft, or more correctly, deferred. After graduation, they can volunteer for a six month program that looks something like a reserve program. It's the Hi-So option.

It makes sense now. The security of this country rests on the backs of the sons of the poor. Hi-Sos buy there way out, or send their kids to University.

Yeah, I think I'd be wearing a red shirt too if I was a poor Thai.

But with that said, I'm also ex-military too. I personally think every kid between 18 to 25 should be required to put two year into the military of the country that they are a citizen of. It builds character. Every country has the right to a strong defensive military.

OK, now flame away. I sure I'm going to hear from every liberal, anti-gun, anti-military, tree-hugging liberal on the forum. Fine! Enjoy.

As an ex soldier I agree with you, military service never harms anyone and an ex service person has no problems finding employment outside. If Australia had compulsory military service it would get a lot of these lazy dole budging, tree hugging baffoons out of bed every morning. Instead of whinning about thier government handouts they may just contribute to the community that is supporting them.

Indeed, spending two years at Puckapunyal shaving 20% off my IQ and subjecting myself to regular military hazing something I sure could have done with. I mean, who needs university?

And as we know, Dept of Defence are the last to the table when needing government hand outs. Not a closed shop at all. No sir-ee

Oh, the hypocrisy! Or is it superior military logic we have here?

Well I was buming around fron one dead end job to another having left school at 16. Woke up one morning aged 19 and thought I was wasting my life and went to the local recruitment office. Did my basics at Kapooka, joined my unit in Townsville and completed an education course, within 2 yrs I was asked if I wanted to attend OCS (Officer Cadet School) which I did and commenced a degree in civil engerneering in the end I walked away after 10 yrs at the Rank of Major and 3 degrees under my belt for which I paid nothing for. They actually paid me not bad for a kid who was destined to be a bum at 16. So if that is being a hypocrite then I accept your judgement.

• Like 1

Dunno though where your get the idea that "hi-so's" want to get out of the service. Do you even know what a hi-so is? Plenty of well off families see the military as an important thing and many kids from that service do go into it being commissioned officers etc.

He is right, nobody with money (hi so) goes to the army in this country.

My wife's cousin was conscripted into the navy. He must have been exceptional. They begged him to stay on. He died of cancer last year. He was a ship's captain, and he was given a full navy funeral. The provincial governor and the bases top brass all spoke at the funeral. Another case, a friend's son got conscripted into the army and when home on leave, told us he loved it. He wants to stay on and make a career of it. He was a little shit before he joined up, but it seems to be doing him some good.

I don't want to increase your stress level, but to make you aware, a lot of the guys inducted by draft into the army are getting sent to the meatgrinder in the South now. Someone I know was just mildly injured (ear damage) in the recent bombing of Narathiwat (4 guys died and others were more seriously injured). So it's not a good time to be an army cadet in Thailand, especially a draftee.

If it was me, and I was that worried -- Thai Navy or Thai Air Force. Less likely to be put into harms way in those two services.

Looking at the state of their equipment, it could be equally dangerous there as well. rolleyes.gif

But look on the bright side ... if he got into the Navy ... at least he can't be a submariner now ... unless the boat sinks!

Note:- Reported in today’s paper was the fact that the Thai Navy is no longer interested in the used German subs that were for sale.

Never mind. Just answered my own question. University students are exempted from the draft, or more correctly, deferred. After graduation, they can volunteer for a six month program that looks something like a reserve program. It's the Hi-So option.

It makes sense now. The security of this country rests on the backs of the sons of the poor. Hi-Sos buy there way out, or send their kids to University.

But with that said, I'm also ex-military too. I personally think every kid between 18 to 25 should be required to put two year into the military of the country that they are a citizen of. It builds character. Every country has the right to a strong defensive military.

OK, now flame away. I sure I'm going to hear from every liberal, anti-gun, anti-military, tree-hugging liberal on the forum. Fine! Enjoy.

As an ex soldier I agree with you, military service never harms anyone and an ex service person has no problems finding employment outside. If Australia had compulsory military service it would get a lot of these lazy dole budging, tree hugging baffoons out of bed every morning. Instead of whinning about thier government handouts they may just contribute to the community that is supporting them.

Indeed, spending two years at Puckapunyal shaving 20% off my IQ and subjecting myself to regular military hazing something I sure could have done with. I mean, who needs university?

And as we know, Dept of Defence are the last to the table when needing government hand outs. Not a closed shop at all. No sir-ee

@samran

You quite obviously avoided military service. Seems you have some pretty strong feeling about something you know *zero* about. Let's talk about shaving 20% off my IQ -- I had an average grade point average coming out of high school. Spent 8 years in the military. Went to University after leaving the service. Grade point average of 4.0 and graduated at the top of my class: number 1 out of over 4000 students. Yeah, shaved 20% off my IQ, Sweetpea? Try again.

You do realize that spouting off like you have in your last couple of posts makes you sound totally ignorant. And considering the fact that you refused to support the defenses of your own country tells me volumes about your character. I'll leave it at that. You don't need my help to dig a deeper hole (which I'm sure you will).

And as far as my stepson -- he needs to man up too. With him though, I can cut off financial support if he choose to be a spineless coward.

Edited by connda

Well I was buming around fron one dead end job to another having left school at 16. Woke up one morning aged 19 and thought I was wasting my life and went to the local recruitment office. Did my basics at Kapooka, joined my unit in Townsville and completed an education course, within 2 yrs I was asked if I wanted to attend OCS (Officer Cadet School) which I did and commenced a degree in civil engerneering in the end I walked away after 10 yrs at the Rank of Major and 3 degrees under my belt for which I paid nothing for. They actually paid me not bad for a kid who was destined to be a bum at 16. So if that is being a hypocrite then I accept your judgement.

+1 Roger that SoftGeorge.

@samran

You quite obviously avoided military service. Seems you have some pretty strong feeling about something you know *zero* about. Let's talk about shaving 20% off my IQ -- I had an average grade point average coming out of high school. Spent 8 years in the military. Went to University after leaving the service. Grade point average of 4.0 and graduated at the top of my class: number 1 out of over 4000 students. Yeah, shaved 20% off my IQ, Sweetpea? Try again.

You do realize that spouting off like you have in your last couple of posts makes you sound totally ignorant. And considering the fact that you refused to support the defenses of your own country tells me volumes about your character. I'll leave it at that. You don't need my help to dig a deeper hole (which I'm sure you will).

And as far as my stepson -- he needs to man up too. With him though, I can cut off financial support if he choose to be a spineless coward.

I don't know how you equate missing out on military service as some sort of character flaw. I didn't realise having an opinion contrary to yours was somehow a weakness. But you obviously do. Nor did I realise that people making responsible choices in life that didn't involve 2 years in the armed services was somehow open to criticism. But again, clearly you do too.

You bet I missed out on military service and I make no apologies for that. I did so legally without ever once paying a bribe nor invoking influential channel which is the route of many many people who faced the same issue as me who give 20,000 baht for their number not to be picked. I simply followed the rules at my disposal and spent my 20's being educated and doing other things. I sure as heck plan ahead, and make sure I know what the rules and laws - and my rights - are. And I don 't let myself get caught out on them like others do.

I actually write about this on Thai Visa as a I know about it, otherwise I'd be saying like most other morons to pay off the sasadee, which I personally don't agree with.

As for the debate, you and softGeorge have actually missed my main point while at the same time proving it.

The topic was conscription. You and softgeorgre went off and made a life and career for yourself in the army. I've never criticised that and you are rightly proud by it, which shows through your defensiveness when you hear an alternative position. But you did so making an individual choice and commitment, which is the only way success comes about.

My point is that many people drift early in life, but most land on their feet without the need to be ramroded into military service by nanny staters who think that it is a once size fits all solution "will do them good ".

Military is one of the myriad of ways to pull yourself up in life, but it isn't the only way. Sure it gave you something, just as easily as an apprenticeship in civilian life can be beneficial to someone else. For others, it could easily be a backward step.

If you do that force people into conscription, you end up with what is basically the situation of the Thai military and government able to go off on little adventures around the place as they know they have an inexhaustible supply of cheap fodder to go and prosecute failed policy. It becomes lazy in trying to attract the best and brightest - and most importantly - the motivated , as it doesn't have to. The Thai defence forces could be so much more if they were a 100% professional outfit.

Now I do happen to work with members of the Thai military from time to time. They are good people but they chose to be there as a professional choice. If you follow the policy debate in Thailand you might have seen that the topic of ending conscription has been raised by former heads of the armed forces, citing the reasons I have cited.

Inevitably, they quickly slapped down by the scoundrels who wrap themselves in the nationalist rhetoric, and the die hards in military procurement who are used to easy hand outs from the government. And by the sounds of it, people like you.

So, no, from my perspective, conscription isn't a great idea. But at you've shown, you hold another view, sweetpea.

Edited by samran

But look on the bright side ... if he got into the Navy ... at least he can't be a submariner now ... unless the boat sinks!

Note:- Reported in today’s paper was the fact that the Thai Navy is no longer interested in the used German subs that were for sale.

And dont forget all the fun he can partake at the annual Rohingaya hunting season. rolleyes.gif

Samran, thanks for pointing out the importance of knowing one's rights and too the arguments against concription. Important points not to be missed.

But conscription does exist, somebody will get drafted.

Let us then measure knowing one's rights against knowing one's responsibility.

We non of us have to agree with conscription to see that the young man who takes his place in the draft lottery comes out of it, regardless of whether he is selected or not, knowing nobody wears a uniform in his stead and that by stepping up to his responsibilities he has earned his rights.

My advice to the OP, step out of this and let the lad 'man-up'.

Can taking refuge in a wat i.e. become a monk for a few years disqualify for military service? If I shell out a few shekels can that buy my stepson a sergeants stripes? (NOT that I am going to or even contemplating it).

I volunteered to join the RN as a Boy Seaman at the age of 15 years to get away from home and to see a bit of the World. Before I was 19 years old I was educationally qualified for commissioned rank and was promoted to Leading Seaman just before my 20th birthday. The only station that I did not serve on was the South Atlantic based on Simonstown, just outside Cape Town. It was the making of me and I'd love to do it all again. However I'd pay big bucks to not enlist in the present Toytown force.

I believe that serving in the Armed Forces is assists in character building, in making one a team player, inducing self discipline, getting on with people from a variety of backgrounds and a spirit of self confidence. My wife and I both pray that her 20 year old son will be inducted. I hope he makes a career out of it because he is unequipped to make a success of his lfe elsewhere.

• Like 1

On positive note there are some businesses that actively seek to employ young men returning from their draft stint.

My nephew was one of these. He went from school to the army and had a job waiting for him on his return. Prior to their discharge his employer identified and offered jobs to a few of the local lads who performed well during their time in the army.

He now has a good job with company car and doing a lot better than expected if he’d not had that job offer.

having served in the military is a requirement to get many jobs in thailand

particularly in the security industry but i think it would look better on a cv than

lay around playing playstation until age 20 :)

Just as a side issue...does anyone know what conscription requirements are for a child who has spent years as a monk?

My wife is the defacto mother of her siblngs (as well as having her own children) and as each one turned 14 the following April they were straight from the mountains into Chedi Luang in CM. Wife has the view that this keeps them away from peers that will be a bad influence as there is a big drug culture still in her old (and surrounding villages).

Now has 4 children in robes (longest being four years) and two more joining in April...she is looking at the here and now, makes them a better stable person, better spouse material, better education (and longer) than they would have got (or could afford) in the mountains...and so far so good.

But how does one be a monk for x amount of years and then immediatley do national service? or is this a Thai norm. Does monkhood get you any exemption.

Also another one of her freinds only did one years service apparently because father was in the military? And another in his second year seems to have some deal where he is fifteen days on and fifteen days off...he works in his off time and crashes at ourplace...really nice guy, good work ethic, and excellent example to kids.

...me ...loved Kapooka and all of my truest friends are from my time there .......

Edited by mamborobert

On positive note there are some businesses that actively seek to employ young men returning from their draft stint.

My nephew was one of these. He went from school to the army and had a job waiting for him on his return. Prior to their discharge his employer identified and offered jobs to a few of the local lads who performed well during their time in the army.

He now has a good job with company car and doing a lot better than expected if he’d not had that job offer.

Farma, was this experience in Thailand or another country?

Sounds like you may have come across my advice on this forum on the ins and out of military service in Thailand.

Dunno though where your get the idea that "hi-so's" want to get out of the service. Do you even know what a hi-so is? Plenty of well off families see the military as an important thing and many kids from that service do go into it being commissioned officers etc.

To be honest, sounds like you have issues with your step son and wife more than anything else?

I also don't understand your hypocrisy. Presumably as an 'anti-liberal' you are all for individual choice, yet you go all socialistic by supporting compulsory military service. Bit of a contradiction there, no?

not too many comissioned officers end up dead though do they ?

the sacrifces these people make .............

coffee1.gif Well, then I'm going to surprise you.

I'm probably more the anti-gun, liberal, pinko, tree-hugging...etc. (add yourown terms here) than you'd even imagine.

But I spent 6 years in the U.S. army and nearly 5 years in Vietnam during that time.

That experience taught me a lot..not all good...but i definately learned a lot from it.

Believe me, as an 18 year old I had a LOT to learn...even though I already THOUGHT I knew it all.

But anyhow, back to your question...yes there are deferments available even in Thailand from militay service.

However, from my personal experience, I wonder if it is REALLY the best thing for your son.

When I was 18 my father wanted me to go into the army....I thought he was an idiot for even sugesting that.

By the time I was, oh say 25 years old, my father seemed to have become much more intelligent.

Amazing how that worked out.

Between 18 and 25 there's a lot of "real world" growing up to do.

Been there, done that, took home the T-shirt.

licklips.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

@samran

@ Connda

Personally I think you are way out of line making comments like this, and this is from someone who did military service, fought in a war and had friends killed.

Do I regret to this day doing military service at that time...No......If I had to do it all again, would I do it....No way, and if i had a son, I would be telling him to avoid conscipted military service like the plague, If he chose to join the military as a career, that would be up to him, not for me to comment

I do consider myself an liberal, I am anti-gun to a degree (this is coming from someone who carried a concealed firearm for many years), and am most defintely anti-military when it comes to conscripting people.

There is nothing noble or heroic about being killed in Military....you are dead thats it, Nobody actually gives a sh*t including the goverments who send conscripts into a war.

If you choose to join the military as a "career" thats up to the person, but just because they choose not to join, does not make them, spineless cowards, or have flawed characters by any stretch of the imagination.

Sounds like you may have come across my advice on this forum on the ins and out of military service in Thailand.

To be honest, sounds like you have issues with your step son and wife more than anything else?

I also don't understand your hypocrisy. Presumably as an 'anti-liberal' you are all for individual choice, yet you go all socialistic by supporting compulsory military service. Bit of a contradiction there, no?

If it is a voluntary choice, why should anyone have any problem with that?

If you choose to join the military as a "career" thats up to the person, but just because they choose not to join, does not make them, spineless cowards, or have flawed characters by any stretch of the imagination.

Don't forget he called me "sweatpea" as well. So I guess he was implying I was spineless batter-for-the-other-sider. Not that there is anything wrong with that*

*Copyright: Seinfeld.

even teenagers who voluntarily choose to join the army dont deserve to be killed at work,people seem to think they are expendable just because they volunteered

theres a lot of people killed on construction sites too ,nobody ever says they voluntered for it so everythings ok .....

even teenagers who voluntarily choose to join the army dont deserve to be killed at work,people seem to think they are expendable just because they volunteered

theres a lot of people killed on construction sites too ,nobody ever says they voluntered for it so everythings ok .....

My view is that nations need army's, and unfortunately, at some point, some members might be asked to put themselves in a position where their lives might be in danger.

But you do so voluntary, and know the risks, and with luck, you have been trained to minimise harm to yourself. My gripe was with conscription, being forced into that position by others. Those others, who take you for granted and are more likely to put you in harms way.

comissioned officer = cushy number

so called hi-so people getting the cushy number of being a comissioned officer and not winding up dead like your average GI Joe. I can see many people having a problem with that. Most of the people " North " of BKK for starters , which is where most of the rank and file come from.

Reading through the replies there seem to be a few options so as to avoid.

1) pay off

2) universty ( defer then reduced 6 months )

3) leave country return after age of 30

what about relocating within Thailand to a district that usualy meets the quotas so no draft needed, are there any such places?

what about flat feet, dodgy tickers?

so called hi-so people getting the cushy number of being a comissioned officer and not winding up dead like your average GI Joe. I can see many people having a problem with that. Most of the people " North " of BKK for starters , which is where most of the rank and file come from.

Which is the same in a few other armies in the world as well...the British Military is a good example, not so long ago..the upper classes in the UK were the CO's and pleb's were getting shot up...no different from Thailand in that respect.

US military targets poor black area's in the US for its recruitment drives and these are the ones that get shot up....not the West Point boys !!