Chalerm: Push To Bring Thaksin Back Is My Idea

webfact

Push to bring Thaksin back is my idea, Chalerm says

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The prime minister and foreign minister appeared to distance themselves yesterday from Deputy Premier Chalerm Yoobamrung's declared attempt to bring fugitive ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra back to Thailand as a free man.

Chalerm also stressed yesterday that his push for a reconciliation law, which would result in amnesty for people linked to political conflict in recent years, did not involve the ruling Pheu Thai Party, the government, or Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

Asked about the likelihood of Thaksin coming back to the country this year, as Chalerm had said, Yingluck just said yesterday: "He cannot return."

The prime minister said it was Chalerm's personal view, adding that the matter would depend on Parliament, and not any one person. "We believe that everyone will act with the public interest and national benefit in mind," she said.

She also denied the government's support for constitutional changes was aimed at ensuring any one person's return to Thailand.

In 2008, Thaksin was sentenced to two years in jail for abuse of power, in a case based on an inquiry by the post-coup Assets Examination Committee. He left Thailand shortly before the court read its verdict and has been living in self-exile, mostly in Dubai.

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul said yesterday he was unaware of Chalerm's plan to bring Thaksin back this year. "I don't know about that. I didn't follow it."

He said that as a Thai citizen, Thaksin could return to Thailand under the current legal process, adding that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had not provided any support in regard to the matter.

The foreign minister accused the opposition of trying to politicise the issue, and asked yellow-shirt protesters to "help build up the country and restore happiness for Thais".

Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said yesterday that as head of the government, Yingluck could not deny being an interested party. "She has a conflict of interest, so she has to insist she is going to protect the national interest," he said, referring to the fact that Yingluck is Thaksin's younger sister.

Abhisit, also the Democrat Party leader, said the conflict was now between the country's legal system and Thaksin, who was trying to avoid judicial power over him.

"Prime Minister Yingluck must represent the state in maintaining the rule of law and the legal principle so that the country can go forward," he said, in an interview to the pro-Democrat, satellite-based Blue Sky Channel.

Chalerm, meanwhile, said he never consulted with the prime minister about any plan to secure Thaksin's return. He said because Thaksin and Yingluck were siblings, the prime minister should have nothing to do with the matter.

"If Abhisit wants to know about this in detail, he should ask me," Chalerm said.

The veteran politician said he had campaigned for Thaksin's return since 2009. He would propose the reconciliation law by relying on at least 20 Pheu Thai MPs to sponsor the bill, adding that "every affected element would benefit". He cited Article 142 of the Constitution, which states that a bill may be introduced by at least 20 members of the House of Representatives.

Chalerm said he had no need to whitewash Thaksin's wrongdoing "because he never committed any. There is no need for him to get an amnesty or pardon."

He declined to comment when asked about the court verdict against Thaksin in the Ratchadaphisek land scandal, in which the ex-premier was sentenced to two years in jail for abuse of power.

Yingluck had no involvement in his push for the reconciliation law and he had never talked with Thaksin about it, he said.

Chalerm declined to be specify whether Thaksin would return to Thailand this year. "I insist I will do it [push for the law]. If the reconciliation act succeeds, all sides will have no problems. I'm confident I will be able to do it," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-13

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Asked about the likelihood of Thaksin coming back to the country this year, as Chalerm had said, Yingluck just said yesterday: "He cannot return."

She didn't say that.

She said "not soon/not yet".

Besides, the only statement that really matters with this "Thaksin Thinks, Pheu Thai Acts" government is what Thaksin thinks and what Thaksin thinks is that he will return this year.

Yingluck rules out Thaksin returning to Thailand soon

"soon" is all relative....

Thaksin Believes He’ll Return From Exile This Year

Link to Video News from Bloomberg:

http://www.businessw...exile-this-year

Edited by Buchholz

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul said yesterday he was unaware of Chalerm's plan to bring Thaksin back this year. "I don't know about that. I didn't follow it."

Yes, the Foreign Minister doesn't follow Chalerm.

He follows his cousin Thaksin's directions... such as when Thaksin told him to use his Foreign Minister position to obtain a Japanese visa for him, which he did so even to the point of providing door-to-door service, like he was a visa runner company.

It is obviously an strongly embedded belief of Chalerm that laws can be violated, but the violator has done nothing wrong. Of course this only applies to himself, his family, and his cronies (that it includes anybody even vaguely related/connected to the Shinawatras goes without saying).

Others convicted by a court of law should have their death penalty expedited. Hypocrite.

• Like 2

Push to bring Thaksin back is my idea, Chalerm says", #1^

"She also denied the government's support for constitutional changes was aimed at ensuring any one person's return to Thailand"

But it can certainly appear to be so.

When one considers that it was anti-Thaksin motives for coupists when they tampered with the constitution.

Because their revisions were done with him in mind, to have legitimate electoral based corrections made now, can seem to be pro-Thaksin, when all they are doing, is undoing coup sourced damage.

"In 2008, Thaksin was sentenced to two years in jail for abuse of power, in a case based on an inquiry by the post-coup Assets Examination Committee. He left Thailand shortly before the court read its verdict and has been living in self-exile, mostly in Dubai"

An unqualified statement such as this can be very misleading without contextualizing it.

The context being that this was part of the self-serving crminalization campaign of their electoral nemesis by coupists, to justify their power-grab.

It is what the UDD/Red Shirts characterized as the 'judicial coup" which followed the original one.

Unless one contextualizes it, can seem to be different than it is.

"Abhisit, also the Democrat Party leader, said the conflict was now between the country's legal system and Thaksin, who was trying to avoid judicial power over him."

The conflict is not that.

It is a conflict between coupist remnants and those who subsequently voted this Government into power, with fully declared Thaksin association.

To equate the country's legal system to coup machinations does not fly, and is denigrating to the legal system. It only resonates with the various elements and motives of the Opposition.

Chalerm said he had no need to whitewash Thaksin's wrongdoing "because he never committed any. There is no need for him to get an amnesty or pardon."

This statement by Chalerm reflects above perspective, and is shared by the electoral majority.

As much as the Opposition would love the country to get behind their anti-Thaksin campaign, and to share their spin that constitution reforms are singularly motivated, it doesn't resonate beyond their own circles.

This statement by Chalerm reflects above perspective, and is shared by the electoral majority.

No it isn't. The election wasn't a vote on whether Thaksin was guilty or not. Besides the fact that the majority didn't vote for PTP.

• Like 1

Suddenly Chalerm has become the judge and the jury all by himself huh?! well, I'll drink to that! Cheers!

In regard to post 5. Here come the drum and bugle corp again. The man is in the predictment he finds himself, due to his own actions. He is not in Thailand so the thai way of pointing at others as the cause of the problem, which is self inflicted, won't make it.

Another example of 60+ years of life and the individual still has not reached a maturity level with the rest of the class.

Good to know what the Vice Prime Minister thinks of the Rule of Law.

Legally binding Court sentences have obviously no value for Chalrem.

Despicable bah.gif

• Like 1

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Chalerm's main job function is to redirect criticism that might been aimed at Yingluck towards himself.

Good cop, bad cop!

Politically very astute.

And something you argue against when different "Opposition" groups do it.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Chalerm's main job function is to redirect criticism that might been aimed at Yingluck towards himself.

PT spindoctors are very well aware that a "headhunter" in the frontline will keep the PM out of the limelights........

And that is supplemented by the PM's avoidance of speaking... as exemplified, once again, yesterday

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung vowed to resolve all legal issues in order to bring Thaksin back as a free man. But Yingluck evaded all questions on the matter.

Edited by Buchholz

In the parlance of film noire:

We don't do nuthin' unless the boss says so

Gotta hand it to Saddam Hussein. During the trial the Yanks gave him before they hung him, they were asking one of his flunkies "Did you order the killing of xxx, the killing of yyy, the killing of ..." when Saddam stood up and said "he did only what I told him to!" We can use some of that gallows candor around here.

What baffles me about the culture here is that with all this pridefulness about saving face etc they can be absolutely shameless in making up ridiculous, and obvious, tall-tales because they're too cowardly to stand up for their own actions. As long as no one speaks it they think no can see through them. This runs from the highest office to the bar girl with the sick buffalo.

I would have more respect for the fugitive ex-PM if he would say "I want to come back to Thailand, collect my money, and run the country."

"Chalerm declined to be specify whether Thaksin would return to Thailand this year. "I insist I will do it [push for the law]. If the reconciliation act succeeds, all sides will have no problems. I'm confident I will be able to do it," he said."

This kinds of begs the question what will happen if reconciliation act fails!!! Sinister undertones.

This whole article shows this government is functioning as a many headed hydra with the left arm not knowing what the right is doing. Chalerm doing his own thing, not talking to the PM or FM about "his' plans. He needs to remember that Yingluck is his boss and his actions might make her look bad or put her in a bad position.

If he wants to be independent and do his own thing then he should set up his own party and get the hell out of PTP and stop riding on the coat tails of the shinawatra name. Then he'll see how popular and in tune with voters he really is!!

"Chalerm declined to be specify whether Thaksin would return to Thailand this year. "I insist I will do it [push for the law]. If the reconciliation act succeeds, all sides will have no problems. I'm confident I will be able to do it," he said."

This kinds of begs the question what will happen if reconciliation act fails!!! Sinister undertones.

This whole article shows this government is functioning as a many headed hydra with the left arm not knowing what the right is doing. Chalerm doing his own thing, not talking to the PM or FM about "his' plans. He needs to remember that Yingluck is his boss and his actions might make her look bad or put her in a bad position.

If he wants to be independent and do his own thing then he should set up his own party and get the hell out of PTP and stop riding on the coat tails of the shinawatra name. Then he'll see how popular and in tune with voters he really is!!

Does Yingluck know she is his boss?

Word came down that he'd stepped to far

and stepped on her toes publicly.

So voila,

mea culpa I am not speaking officially.

Just as an private idiot spouting off,

because I am DPM and have the press listening

Edited by animatic

Does Yingluck know she is his boss?

She's waiting for the notification to come through her Facebook account.