Israel and Palestine agree to cease fire after rocket attacks, airstrikes

News_Editor

Big Col

Islam is a religion, Zionism is a political movement.

Oh, please. You don't think the Iranian Islamic revolution was a political movement?!?

Actually, if you take the Quran and Hadiths and other Islamic texts ensemble they devote an enormous percentage of their content to how to conduct affairs with non-Muslims, this is the very epitome of a political movement, whereas Zionism is about the Jews and does not concern itself with affairs outside of Israel.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The people firing the rockets into Israel, it's academic what you call them. If they get hit back, they asked for it.

But they don't get hit back, women and children do.

When you fire a rocket at a residential area, and the eye in the sky tracks you home, do you have the right to complain when your family becomes collateral damage? It's a bit hard to claim the moral high ground when you're starting from an abyss.

• Like 1

The people firing the rockets into Israel, it's academic what you call them. If they get hit back, they asked for it.

When you fire a rocket at a residential area, and the eye in the sky tracks you home, do you have the right to complain when your family becomes collateral damage? It's a bit hard to claim the moral high ground when you're starting from an abyss.

Hey Mick,Hamas as been using women and kids has "human shields" for years ,as one of the Hamas leaders Fathi Hamad said quite plainly "they desire death as the Zionists desires life" . Edited by Colin Yai

Do you believe that true terrorist would be that pathetic? Strictly an academic point. Do you think the Iranians would send millions dollars and weapons to support a proxy terror effort that actually produced virtually nothing in real terms?

There was an end product; dead Palestinians. Iran has little regard for it's own citizens so it will have zero regard for the well being of Palestinians. They do have a propaganda value if killed by the Israelis though, and arming them with hi-tech weaponry would only result in sympathy for the Israelis if they caused significant casualties, not to mention the inevitable reprisals.

A valid point IMO.

I simply expect an average mortar man to be able to hit a football field with any kind of mortar made in the last 70 years and I expect a rocket launcher home made or otherwise, to out perform a 1000 year old catapult.

• Like 1

My only point that I keep repeating is that a 21st century rocket or mortar is expected to perform infinitely better than is has over the last decade.

It is entirely possible that other factors are at play. Seriously, these are the world's premier terrorists, they are in the news daily. They are stupid and crude by comparison but there is no explanation for their dismal performance that would otherwise make sense to me.

Terrorists who use their kids as human shields would certainly have no problem decapitating an Israeli first grader and sending the family the head in a bag. There are plenty of Palestinian sources on the Israeli side of the fence and to arrange such as that would not be a major undertaking. That is terror, firing a rocket into the desert is hardly terrorism on a grand scale. My question which I keep repeating is: Why are the Palestinians so gentle in their terrorist effort?

I would gladly consider other opinions and try and offer my opinion without sarcasm.

Edited by Pakboong
  • Like 1

My only point that I keep repeating is that a 21st century rocket or mortar is expected to perform infinitely better than is has over the last decade.

It is entirely possible that other factors are at play. Seriously, these are the world's premier terrorists, they are in the news daily. They are stupid and crude by comparison but there is no explanation for their dismal performance that would otherwise make sense to me.

Terrorists who use their kids as human shields would certainly have no problem decapitating an Israeli first grader and sending the family the head in a bag. There are plenty of Palestinian sources on the Israeli side of the fence and to arrange such as that would not be a major undertaking. That is terror, firing a rocket into the desert is hardly terrorism on a grand scale. My question which I keep repeating is: Why are the Palestinians so gentle in their terrorist effort?

I would gladly consider other opinions and try and offer my opinion without sarcasm.

You're whining about Israeli successes! Hint: The west bank wall(s) virtually ending suicide bombers. Iron dome defense. Swift responses.
  • Like 2

(Funny the founder wanted to establish a home in Palestine, I thought that place never existed according to some of you.)

Palestine was a desert region - not a state - with few inhabitants that was part of the Ottoman Empire. Jerusalem was a fairly vibrant city, but it was mostly dominated by Jews - not Arabs.

"..... A desolate country whose soil is rich enough, but is given over wholly to weeds... a silent mournful expanse.... a desolation.... we never saw a human being on the whole route.... hardly a tree or shrub anywhere. Even the olive tree and the cactus, those fast friends of a worthless soil, had almost deserted the country." (Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad, p. 361-362)

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

The point I am working up to is that Hamas conducts themselves more like an Israeli proxy than an Iranian proxy. What I have been writing about in other posts on this thread are the lead up to that conclusion.

To me, the important information is how Hamas would conduct intelligence operations within the Arab population on the Israeli side of the fence. These people are Arabs and have an ideological connection to Palestine, not Israel. Not that long ago they were strapping on vests with explosives and killing as many Israelis as they could, now they are cautious and don't want to start a real war?? But more importantly is that there is essentially no evidence that Israel is conducting counter intelligence among the people on the Israeli side of the fence. That is the Israeli forte but there is nothing coming out from any source about the Israelis having caught a spy on the Israeli side of the fence. Leads me to believe that the Israelis have reasons not to bother.

The Israelis conduct operations in this particular effort much as they would run an investment bank. Completely leveraged. Every war they have gotten themselves involved in was set up and leveraged to the hilt to minimize their risk. In this Hamas struggle, they have reduced their risk to .002. Can't get much more leveraged that that.

The irony of this point is, there will be pro-Israeli posters who can't help but holler "Nonsense" even though this is a very pro-Israeli view.

For one thing the border with Israel is practically sealed for them now, not the good old days. Much more surveillance focused on Gaza, as well. Pretty much the same reason they find it hard to execute that many ground operations (last one was via Sinai Peninsula and the Egyptian border).

Although they do get some collaboration - it is not that much of an issue and really never was. There are few reasons for that: (1) Israel maintains a very tight internal security apparatus (some say to the point of being almost a police state), most of it directed at the Israeli Arab population. (2) While Ideology is all very nice, getting caught is a distinct possibility that comes with a real long jail term (in addition, those do not get released when Israel trades terrorists for kidnapped soldiers, and promised funds are cut off). (3) Generally speaking, Israeli Arabs are better off than their brethren in Gaza and the West Bank, so the support they offer is usually more political in nature. Also, while most support the Palestinian cause, they have little wish to live under same restrictions posed by Palestinian leaderships (once again, more to lose etc.).

But again, it is mostly down to the issues of access and improved surveillance (It should be noted that the opposite does not apply - Israeli controls and regulates access, so theoretically could insert agents pretty easily). In connection with the first reason cited, both Palestinians and Israeli Arabs tend to be somewhat weary of political talk with unknown persons, mistrust runs high and informants are said to be common (does not have to be but people do believe this, or anyway would rather be careful).

As for evidence - not sure exactly what do you expect? A monthly newsletter detailing counter-intelligence actions of the Israeli secret service? They were never very forthcoming with information and got quite a leeway not sharing it.

Regarding wars Israel was involved in - you definitely got this one wrong: 1948 was not a set up and the risks did run high, same goes for 1973. 1982 saw Israel setting itself up in the Lebanese mess, not very bright, and risk management still in progress even after all those years. One may add that having a great plan how to win the 1967 war was not accompanied by a great plan on what to do afterwards, which is one of the main reasons for the current sad state of affairs. If this was meant in reference to any recent fighting vs. the Palestinians - this is not much of a challenge from a military point of view.

Repeating the claim that the rocket fire carries no effect does not make it so. Calculating statistical chances of getting hit and finding them low is not all that soothing as it sounds. Those things are pretty scary stuff. Somewhat like mortar fire, for example, not very accurate, but scares the living hell out of the opposition. Plus, it does hit every now and then, which is plain nasty.

The fear and stress by themselvs are damaging, nevermind the hits that do come in, damage to property and to the economy (recent round so most schools in southern Isral closed, quite a lot of businesses as well).

"even the hawks are sensitive to international pressure and know that an extended operation in Gaza would make a raid against Iran more difficult."

You can see how the pieces can fit together, not that there is any guarantee that this is what is infact happening.

I read this article earlier and can't help but wonder why a terrorist group would repeatedly break a cease fire knowing they are on the wrong end of a 100-1 kill ratio. This article even mentions the low Israeli end of the kill ratio. I have even thought back on other historical terrorists and for the most part, they get a lot of bang for their buck largely because of the surprise element of their effort. Hamas is an exception to pretty much all of terror history as far as I am aware. The American Indians were way better terrorists and they didn't have rockets.

I realize indigenous Arabs are not that bright as a group and give up roughly 22 points on average IQ to Ashkenazi Jews, survival also involves instinct and even the dumbest person has innate survival hardwired somehow into his being.

It is not necessarily the same group breaking the ceasefire. There are more than one terrorist organization around, not all are well coordinated inwards and outwards. Discipline is not always adhered to by everyone.

This time it might very well have been PRC (Popular Resistance Committees) people, who took a while to mobilize after their leader was assassinated by Israel in the recent attack which sparked this round of hostilities.

Perhaps not so much a question of violation from the Palestinian side, but another example of their inability or lack of will to control evens such as this.

I like Westerns too. Some things I keep noticing are how the settlers back then did not have constant aerial and communication surveillance, how those wagons were not really that hard to pass through, and how ringing a big bell or banging a pot fails to act as proper alarm (plus the actor making the racket gets himself killed). Nice try.

Interestingly and the basis for my posts is that is exactly what has happened. They fall harmlessly into the Israeli desert. More recently however, the Israelis claim that many are shot down by Iron Dome capabilities. Before Iron Dome, the casualty rate was also very low. 22 dead since the year 2000.

Could I sell you the simple idea that riding a motorbike in Thailand is significantly more dangerous than living within rocket range of Gaza. Apples and Oranges I know, but a true statement none the less. Many of us Farangs, despite the serious danger, continue on with our motorbikes.

Define "harmlessly"? One might almost imagine kids going out to watch the pretty fireworks. Not.

During Israel's 2006 conflict with Hezbollah, about 4000 rockets were fired (about a 100 per day). Israeli civilian casualties attributed to rocket attacks amounted to 43 (18 of them Israeli Arabs, btw).

Hezbollah is much more experienced, and much better trained than the Palestinians, theater or operations was signigicantly larger, Israeli military was not entirely focused on putting a stop to rocket fire, surveilance and defense systems available today (such as "Iron Dome") were not in service back then.

Not very impressive when you look at the figures. Then again, they did manage to drive a few hundred thousand people out of their homes, and instill some major fear in many more. Rockets are good as terror inducing, not necessarily the most effective for killing people.

The Palestinians operate under much harder conditions, give them a break, will ya? :-).

It is an academic point, not an emotional one. 22 dead in over 11 years is a significant piece of information. Last year's body count actually showed up as an OP topic in this forum That was 1 dead Israeli in 627 rockets and mortar attacks. If I add the 200 fired this last weekend that is astronomical failure.

Do you believe that true terrorist would be that pathetic? Strictly an academic point. Do you think the Iranians would send millions dollars and weapons to support a proxy terror effort that actually produced virtually nothing in real terms? Then compare that data with the dead Palestinians. The Terrorists kill no one and the victims kill 25 just last weekend. I started this point well before last weekend. Last weekend was simply consistent with my point. Very consistent.

The Palestinian terrorists do not act within a vacuum, but face a rather formidable opponent.

Take the Thai national football team. pit it against one of Europe's top sides in a game that matters - how do you think it will end up?

About a third of the Israeli population is Arab. Nobody is trying to belittle Jewish capability nor to doubt the huge average IQ advantage they have over the Arabs. In fact, the point I continually make is, what an accomplishment it is to leverage your own terrorist arrangement so that on your end it is pretty much all upside.The downside is fear and a few dead. What world leader would not enter an agreement which gave him a 100-1 kill ratio over his enemy? Regardless of the body count ration, you have the complete sympathy of the rest of the world. Of course they would never admit that they were willing to sacrifice an Israeli for the common good of the country. This sort of thing has happened routinely throughout history.

Abraham Lincoln as outlined in US Grant's memoirs sacrificed northern POWs at Andersonville for strategic reasons.

More like 20% (East Jerusalem included), about 15% of those will be Christian, Druze and other minorities. Just to get things straight instead of throwing numbers around.

Not even getting into this IQ crap, sorry.

Complete sympathy of the world? When did that happen? Israel gets mostly bad press when fighting with the Palestinians (sometimes rightfully so), certainly gets more than its fair share of UN (and affiliated organizations) condemnations.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4196331,00.html

This sort of thing has happened routinely throughout history.

Really? Democratic governments in modern times sacrifice their citizens routinely for the greater good? And the best you can come up with is a a reference to something not very similar (for one thing, POWs are not civilians), that took place about 150 years ago?

• Like 1

That is patently not true, unless you want to claim all (or most) of those killed by IDF attacks on Gaza are women and children. Even the Palestinians do not make this claim.

http://www.womanhonorthyself.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/muz-toon0_2.gif

(Funny the founder wanted to establish a home in Palestine, I thought that place never existed according to some of you.)

Palestine was a desert region - not a state - with few inhabitants that was part of the Ottoman Empire. Jerusalem was a fairly vibrant city, but it was mostly dominated by Jews - not Arabs.

"..... A desolate country whose soil is rich enough, but is given over wholly to weeds... a silent mournful expanse.... a desolation.... we never saw a human being on the whole route.... hardly a tree or shrub anywhere. Even the olive tree and the cactus, those fast friends of a worthless soil, had almost deserted the country." (Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad, p. 361-362)

Hrrmf, it makes good reading, and sort of funny how he lashes out at everyone.

As an accurate account, I wouldn't place much faith in it. Treat it more like an idiosyncratic blogger view.

Most academic research cites population in Ottoman Palestine at 300,000-400,000 around this time.

The point I am working up to is that Hamas conducts themselves more like an Israeli proxy than an Iranian proxy. What I have been writing about in other posts on this thread are the lead up to that conclusion.

To me, the important information is how Hamas would conduct intelligence operations within the Arab population on the Israeli side of the fence. These people are Arabs and have an ideological connection to Palestine, not Israel. Not that long ago they were strapping on vests with explosives and killing as many Israelis as they could, now they are cautious and don't want to start a real war?? But more importantly is that there is essentially no evidence that Israel is conducting counter intelligence among the people on the Israeli side of the fence. That is the Israeli forte but there is nothing coming out from any source about the Israelis having caught a spy on the Israeli side of the fence. Leads me to believe that the Israelis have reasons not to bother.

The Israelis conduct operations in this particular effort much as they would run an investment bank. Completely leveraged. Every war they have gotten themselves involved in was set up and leveraged to the hilt to minimize their risk. In this Hamas struggle, they have reduced their risk to .002. Can't get much more leveraged that that.

The irony of this point is, there will be pro-Israeli posters who can't help but holler "Nonsense" even though this is a very pro-Israeli view.

For one thing the border with Israel is practically sealed for them now, not the good old days. Much more surveillance focused on Gaza, as well. Pretty much the same reason they find it hard to execute that many ground operations (last one was via Sinai Peninsula and the Egyptian border).

Although they do get some collaboration - it is not that much of an issue and really never was. There are few reasons for that: (1) Israel maintains a very tight internal security apparatus (some say to the point of being almost a police state), most of it directed at the Israeli Arab population. (2) While Ideology is all very nice, getting caught is a distinct possibility that comes with a real long jail term (in addition, those do not get released when Israel trades terrorists for kidnapped soldiers, and promised funds are cut off). (3) Generally speaking, Israeli Arabs are better off than their brethren in Gaza and the West Bank, so the support they offer is usually more political in nature. Also, while most support the Palestinian cause, they have little wish to live under same restrictions posed by Palestinian leaderships (once again, more to lose etc.).

But again, it is mostly down to the issues of access and improved surveillance (It should be noted that the opposite does not apply - Israeli controls and regulates access, so theoretically could insert agents pretty easily). In connection with the first reason cited, both Palestinians and Israeli Arabs tend to be somewhat weary of political talk with unknown persons, mistrust runs high and informants are said to be common (does not have to be but people do believe this, or anyway would rather be careful).

As for evidence - not sure exactly what do you expect? A monthly newsletter detailing counter-intelligence actions of the Israeli secret service? They were never very forthcoming with information and got quite a leeway not sharing it.

Regarding wars Israel was involved in - you definitely got this one wrong: 1948 was not a set up and the risks did run high, same goes for 1973. 1982 saw Israel setting itself up in the Lebanese mess, not very bright, and risk management still in progress even after all those years. One may add that having a great plan how to win the 1967 war was not accompanied by a great plan on what to do afterwards, which is one of the main reasons for the current sad state of affairs. If this was meant in reference to any recent fighting vs. the Palestinians - this is not much of a challenge from a military point of view.

Repeating the claim that the rocket fire carries no effect does not make it so. Calculating statistical chances of getting hit and finding them low is not all that soothing as it sounds. Those things are pretty scary stuff. Somewhat like mortar fire, for example, not very accurate, but scares the living hell out of the opposition. Plus, it does hit every now and then, which is plain nasty.

The fear and stress by themselvs are damaging, nevermind the hits that do come in, damage to property and to the economy (recent round so most schools in southern Isral closed, quite a lot of businesses as well).

Thanks for the civil response Morch, I do appreciate the time you have taken to explain your position and why you disagree with mine. These threads should be about academic discourse IMO.

Seriously, I expect virtually no agreement on my points. They seem so foreign to anybody pro-Israel or otherwise. The point is, right or wrong, these points will never be popular. regardless of any statistic. The question is why.

All my analysis is simplistic because that is pretty much all it takes to make the points.

Not much damage.

Damage has not increased with Hamas.

Iran sends in money and weapons.

Hamas are gentle in their terrorism, despite sacrificing their own children as human shields, they don't want to cause a major war where lots of people could be killed. They are content to risk their own lives to send hundreds of rockets and mortar shells into the desert.

If you do not think that one death in last 827 rocket mortar attacks is not statistically significant then you cannot possibly see my point much less agree with it. These are the attackers. By any standard, the attackers/terrorist will have a statistical advantage but these guys are not even close. In fact, their record stacks up as what would possible the worst record in terrorist history. To me, that is significant to a point of conclusion. It stands alone regardless of how much fear the threat of being hit by a rocket causes. Am I expected to believe that a terrorist cannot hit a grid square with a rocket is really the world's worst bad guy? What are Hamas hoping to accomplish other than getting themselves killed in a retaliation strike?

Really I am only asking one sensible question. At what point does the statistical record become significant? Perhaps 2000-1.

There simply has to be an academic point where things come into question and are simply not accepted because the Mainstream Media says so. I am merely searching for that particular point and the other side of the argument resists the notion that such a point can actually exist.

Edited by Pakboong
  • Like 1

Interestingly and the basis for my posts is that is exactly what has happened. They fall harmlessly into the Israeli desert. More recently however, the Israelis claim that many are shot down by Iron Dome capabilities. Before Iron Dome, the casualty rate was also very low. 22 dead since the year 2000.

Could I sell you the simple idea that riding a motorbike in Thailand is significantly more dangerous than living within rocket range of Gaza. Apples and Oranges I know, but a true statement none the less. Many of us Farangs, despite the serious danger, continue on with our motorbikes.

Define "harmlessly"? One might almost imagine kids going out to watch the pretty fireworks. Not.

During Israel's 2006 conflict with Hezbollah, about 4000 rockets were fired (about a 100 per day). Israeli civilian casualties attributed to rocket attacks amounted to 43 (18 of them Israeli Arabs, btw).

Hezbollah is much more experienced, and much better trained than the Palestinians, theater or operations was signigicantly larger, Israeli military was not entirely focused on putting a stop to rocket fire, surveilance and defense systems available today (such as "Iron Dome") were not in service back then.

Not very impressive when you look at the figures. Then again, they did manage to drive a few hundred thousand people out of their homes, and instill some major fear in many more. Rockets are good as terror inducing, not necessarily the most effective for killing people.

The Palestinians operate under much harder conditions, give them a break, will ya? :-).

Hezbollah fire the Kutuschka (sp) which is of a better quality than the Qassam. Why does Hamas not have Kutushkas? When anybody on this forum refers to the bad guys of Gaza, Hamas is used. Not my view, it is the mainstream view.

Hezbollah fire the Kutuschka (sp) which is of a better quality than the Qassam. Why does Hamas not have Kutushkas? When anybody on this forum refers to the bad guys of Gaza, Hamas is used. Not my view, it is the mainstream view.

Harmlessly is a relative term and applies IMO as to the anticipated amount of damage versus the amount actually done. I fully understand your point. Fear is damage!! I would also make the point that fear can be used by the alleged victims to maintain control of the governed. Underwear bomber is a great example. We now have our underwear checked for bombs out of a really silly fear scenario.

Hezbollah fire the Kutuschka (sp) which is of a better quality than the Qassam. Why does Hamas not have Kutushkas?

Iran does not really like the Palestinians - Iran's population is overwhelmingly Shia, whereas Gaza is Sunni - and Tehran has withdrawn its patronage of Hamas over the Palestinian group's refusal to support the Syrian regime's crackdown against the uprising. On top of that, Hezbollah have much better supply lines and they are the direct puppets of Iran where Hamas have been grudging allies.

In short, why waste Katyushas on people that you despise when Qassams work just fine politically from Iran's perspective?

Edited by Ulysses G.

Thanks for the civil response Morch, I do appreciate the time you have taken to explain your position and why you disagree with mine. These threads should be about academic discourse IMO.

Seriously, I expect virtually no agreement on my points. They seem so foreign to anybody pro-Israel or otherwise. The point is, right or wrong, these points will never be popular. regardless of any statistic. The question is why.

All my analysis is simplistic because that is pretty much all it takes to make the points.

Not much damage.

Hamas are gentle in their terrorism, despite sacrificing their own children as human shields, they don't want to cause a major war where lots of people could be killed. They are content to risk their own lives to send hundreds of rockets and mortar shells into the desert.

If you do not think that one death in last 827 rocket mortar attacks is not statistically significant then you cannot possibly see my point much less agree with it. These are the attackers. By any standard, the attackers/terrorist will have a statistical advantage but these guys are not even close. In fact, their record stacks up as what would possible the worst record in terrorist history. To me, that is significant to a point of conclusion. It stands alone regardless of how much fear the threat of being hit by a rocket causes. Am I expected to believe that a terrorist cannot hit a grid square with a rocket is really the world's worst bad guy? What are Hamas hoping to accomplish other than getting themselves killed in a retaliation strike?

Really I am only asking one sensible question. At what point does the statistical record become significant? Perhaps 2000-1.

There simply has to be an academic point where things come into question and are simply not accepted because the Mainstream Media says so. I am merely searching for that particular point and the other side of the argument resists the notion that such a point can actually exist.

We get it dude. You are accusing Israel of attacking Israel for years now from Gaza, yet you dance around that without ever expressing it as clearly; rather gingerly resorting to snarky insinuations and whines about mainstream media. It is a ridiculous and offensive suggestion, yet you persist, again and again, with absolutely NO evidence. You suggest your "theory" will be "disproved" if more Israelis get hit by the rockets. Again, this is NAUSEATING. Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Not much damage.

"Not much damage" - again, this is a relative statement which considers casualties as the only criteria. Both sides repeatably point to other aspects of damage done.

"Damage has not increased with Hamas" - Not so, Hamas rules in Gaza since 2006, the number of rocket attacs rose significantly - http://en.wikipedia....rael#Casualties, so did damage done (even in refferance to casualties alone). Operation "Cast Lead" was carried out 12/08-1/09.

"Iran sends in money and weapons" - Money mostly, as weapon transfers are much harder. The Palestinians aren't as well armed and financed as, say, Hezbollah. Israeli media tends to hype the direct military aid from Iran, but it seems most of what they throw at Israel doesn't bear the Made in Iran trademark, At least for now.

"Hamas are gentle in their terrorism" - For one thing, there are quite a few armed groups in Gaza, not just Hamas. All of them are not gentle, it is more that their previous MO of suicide bombs was cut off when Israel pulled out of the Gaza strip and sealed the border. Here are some figures - http://en.wikipedia....suicide_attacks. Other avenues of violence (such as placing bombs, shooting incedents) similarily decreased. I would say they are currently more "frustrated in their terrorism".

"they don't want to cause a major war where lots of people could be killed" - Seeing as under the current conditions, most of the casualties will be on their side, it is probably not in their best interest.

"They are content to risk their own lives to send hundreds of rockets and mortar shells into the desert" - I doubt that they are "content", but what else could they go for? With their capability to execute attack on the ground curtailed. they have to make do with rockets. Then again, they can not afford to give up, as fighting Israel is the basis for their existence.

I think the statistical significane of the rocket attacks-casualty ratio is that it shows rockets to be an uneffective means of causing casualties, especially when operated under heavy limitations. Wishing them to be something they are not wouldn't change that. They are still very effective as tools of terror, but that if body count is your only measuring stick it does seem bogus.Continually ignoring certain factors would indeed make the numbers seem improbable.

"These are the attackers. By any standard, the attackers/terrorist will have a statistical advantage" - The element of surprise is still there, but quality intelligence and surveilance go a long way cutting down its significance. Technology and training allows for faster reaction time, both on for counter-offense and defense. The recent addition of interception system makes things even worse, from the terrorist point of view.

"their record stacks up as what would possible the worst record in terrorist history" - Once again, if you consider only casualties, than sure that their capabilities are much lower than before. Otherwise, the rockets are pretty successful means as far as other aspects of terrorism go. Considering Hezbollah, a superior force fighting under more favorable odds, didn't do spectacularly better (inflicting casualties, that is) - this is a somewhat uncalled for unappreciative view of the Palestinian effort. One does what one can, i guess.

"Am I expected to believe that a terrorist cannot hit a grid square with a rocket is really the world's worst bad guy?" - Those rockets aren't precision weapons, and you keep neglecting the fact that this isn't a shooting range, the targets actually fire back at you. I think it is difficult for people who haven't been under in any sort of fighting situation (other than computer games) to appreciate the levels of stress combatants operate under.

I'm not sure what is they are currently doing on Terrorist Idol, guess losing the suicide bomb angle cost them some points. Serisouly, dubbing them "worst" or whatever is meaningless - they are still not nice people, and they ARE terrorists. Not very deadly lately, but still going strong.

"What are Hamas hoping to accomplish other than getting themselves killed in a retaliation strike?" - What would you have them do? Drop the fight? Can't do that. Mount an all out attack? No capability. Get better weapons? They keep trying. it ain't that easy.

Other than that, it is not always the Hamas firing, but other outfits - sometimes this works to Hamas's benefit, sometimes not. The amount of control Hamas is able to excercise over them is in question, the will to do so almost never manifests itself.

"At what point does the statistical record become significant? Perhaps 2000-1" - Under current conditions, it could come to that, perhaps. If the Palestinians were to introduce better grade weapon systems (multiple launchers, improved accuracy/range/payload of rockets, unconventional warheads) or somehow renew ground attacks - your peace of mind might be restored. Of course, the Israeli military is pretty quick in adjusting to new threats, so suppose some solutions will be found for most things. That is without considering yet another massive ground operation.The point is that the significance you attach to the ratio ignores pretty straightforward facts which explain it.

Edited by Morch
  • Like 1

Straightforward facts aren't very sexy to those who bend over backwards to demonize Israel. The really bizarre thing is that there are plenty of very LEGITIMATE criticisms that could be made against Israeli government policies, in Gaza, in the West Bank, in the response to the Iranian threat. There is no need for incendiary fantasies.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Hamas and other Palestinian terrorist organizations in Gaza use few models of rockets. Most locally made ones carry different names according to the producing organization (for example, Qassam for Hamas, Al-Quds for Islamic Jihad), but specifications are pretty similar. As Israel withdrew from the Gaza strip and range became an issue the Palestinians first purchased, then copied, longer range rockets (mostly variants of BM-21, aka Grad). Those longer range rockets got the same designation as before (such as Qassam 3 etc), so media reports can be quite confusing as to what exactly was fired.

Katyusha is nowadays used as a generic term, usually reffering to short/medium range rockets based on Soviet design. Over 90% of of the rocketss fired by Hezbollah during the 2006 conflict were variants of BM-21, which the Hamas and Islamic Jihad use as well. Some variants are said to be better than others (notably those of Chinese manufacture), but not in ant way that makes them far more superior. Hezbollah, Hamas and Islamic Jihad all use a mix of bought/self made rockets,

Harmlessly is a relative term and applies IMO as to the anticipated amount of damage versus the amount actually done. I fully understand your point. Fear is damage!! I would also make the point that fear can be used by the alleged victims to maintain control of the governed. Underwear bomber is a great example. We now have our underwear checked for bombs out of a really silly fear scenario.

Well, considering no one sees casualties alone as the criteria of anticipated damage I fail to see your point.

Fear can be used to control the population, sure. That does not mean that every threat is originating from the powers that be, most are rather real. Not exactly sure what sort of control you think might be achived by something of this sort, in this case. General public opinion among Isralis isn't pro-Palestinian as it is, and been that way long before the rockets showed up. The main public reaction on the political front costs the govrenmrnt dearly, whatever they do or don't do. The actual probabilty of something like that to be managable and kept secret is lower than the chance of getting killed by a Palestinian rocket.

Hamas and other Palestinian terrorist organizations in Gaza use few models of rockets. Most locally made ones carry different names according to the producing organization (for example, Qassam for Hamas, Al-Quds for Islamic Jihad), but specifications are pretty similar. As Israel withdrew from the Gaza strip and range became an issue the Palestinians first purchased, then copied, longer range rockets (mostly variants of BM-21, aka Grad). Those longer range rockets got the same designation as before (such as Qassam 3 etc), so media reports can be quite confusing as to what exactly was fired.

Katyusha is nowadays used as a generic term, usually reffering to short/medium range rockets based on Soviet design. Over 90% of of the rocketss fired by Hezbollah during the 2006 conflict were variants of BM-21, which the Hamas and Islamic Jihad use as well. Some variants are said to be better than others (notably those of Chinese manufacture), but not in ant way that makes them far more superior. Hezbollah, Hamas and Islamic Jihad all use a mix of bought/self made rockets,

I do appreciate your attempt at explaining the situation from your point of view.

It is my opinion that the actual answer to the question "at what point can Israel be called into question regarding any statistical analysis"? is "never". It is not possible to call Israel into question. That is the answer I was fishing for. A rhetorical question and I seriously appreciate your honest attempt at answering my silly questions.

Everyone else answered the question exactly as I expected and you kept up an effort to take the question seriously and I do appreciate your patience. The answer is in fact "Never". It doesn't matter if the statistical analysis produces millions to one probability, the answer will always be "Never".

So any of us who actually question anything that the Israelis do are up against this impossible situation.

Edited by Pakboong

We get it dude. You are accusing Israel of attacking Israel for years now from Gaza, yet you dance around that without ever expressing it as clearly; rather gingerly resorting to snarky insinuations and whines about mainstream media. It is a ridiculous and offensive suggestion, yet you persist, again and again, with absolutely NO evidence. You suggest your "theory" will be "disproved" if more Israelis get hit by the rockets. Again, this is NAUSEATING.

Plenty of Israelis have been killed by rockets and murdered by suicide bombers. Repeating this loathsome "theory" over and over again does not make it any less foolish.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Well it's nice they have developed an industry, just a shame that it couldn't advance the Palestinian's lot a little better.