Red Shirt Leader Arisman, Charged With Terrorism, Reports To Court On Return From India

webfact

Red-shirt Leader Reports to Court

BANGKOK: -- A key red-shirt figure wanted for terrorism charges has returned to Thailand after spending 10 days meditating in India. He's reported himself to the Ratchadapisek Criminal Court under his bail condition.

Suchaiwut Chawsuankluay, lawyer of core member of the red-shirt movement, Arisman Pongruangrong, revealed his client is back in Thailand.

Suchaiwut disclosed that Arisman has traveled back to Thailand after spending 10 days meditating at Bodh Gaya in India.

Under his bail condition, Arisman reported himself to the Ratchadapisek Criminal Court at 11 AM this morning. Arisman was permitted to leave Thailand on the pilgrimage on the condition that he report himself back to the court upon his return.

He will also receive the 600,000 baht deposit that was put up as a guarantee.

Suchaiwut further said that Arisman is permitted to speak to the media after the court session. However, he had advised Arisman not to give any interview to the media.

Arisman is on trial for terrorism related charges for his involvement in the nationwide red-shirt protests in 2010. He has only recently returned to Thailand after spending months at an unknown location to avoid prosecution.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-03-13

footer_n.gif

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite astounded that India will take a man who is accused of terrorism.....

Possibly because if and until he is found guilty (outside of the court of TV) he is regarded as innocent of those charges in most parts of the world

• Like 1

Possibly because if and until he is found guilty (outside of the court of TV) he is regarded as innocent of those charges in most parts of the world

Well of course, the terrorism charge specifically is probably over the top. Doesn't mean that most countries will issue a visa when you are out on bail for this specific charge though.

I wonder if they let him play with matches while he was away......

Well of course, the terrorism charge specifically is probably over the top. Doesn't mean that most countries will issue a visa when you are out on bail for this specific charge though.

"Well of course, the terrorism charge specifically is probably over the top."

I applaud your acceptance of the above. As far as Indian Visa requirements in recent times I'm not so sure - on the occasions that I visited I gathered that the major requirement was being able to queue for long periods at a time at the Embassy in London.

I applaud your acceptance of the above. As far as Indian Visa requirements in recent times I'm not so sure - on the occasions that I visited I gathered that the major requirement was being able to queue for long periods at a time at the Embassy in London.

Well, they all got very excited there for a while, so yes terrorism isn't the right charge, but anyway, one would think having an open charge of terrorism wouldn't grant you bail either, but then again, murderers get bail here too.

Well, they all got very excited there for a while, so yes terrorism isn't the right charge, but anyway, one would think having an open charge of terrorism wouldn't grant you bail either, but then again, murderers get bail here too.

And alleged murderers can go and sit on the opposition bench as well and nobody bats an eyelid.

The Democrat MP has been charged with premeditated murder and is now on bail after surrendering to police before the current New Year holiday break.

Khanchit has not yet handed in the firearm for inspection, as ordered by police after the deadline ended yesterday.

http://www.nationmul...e-30173083.html

Aha! The answer. He was at the Embassy in London for six months, or was that the Indian Embassy in Dubai? ;)

-mel.

His attorney at least is smart enough to warn against press conferences. I have come to a conclusion about any case that blends politics and law here. I will simply never get to the truth of it, and I do not think anyone else will either. Sure, we can all line up on one side or the other, but information is harder to find than a virgin in Patpong at 3 AM. Obfuscation is a fine art here. Makes me feel like I am reading the American news, in a distinctly unique frame. The same can be said for any of the countries that are the five permanent members of the UN Security Council, of course.

Gentleman, they had a few unique tricks of their own to begin with and we have taught them a few of ours as well. I chat about it, laugh, cry and rail about it, but none of that matters.

The crazy, lopsided, funky machine is howling its heinous sirens as it clunks along...and the marvelous Thainese Maenids in its train are shredding bystanders, reporters and tourists as it grinds and chunks and clunks along ahead.

I'm just staying off the street.

His attorney at least is smart enough to warn against press conferences. I have come to a conclusion about any case that blends politics and law here. I will simply never get to the truth of it, and I do not think anyone else will either. Sure, we can all line up on one side or the other, but information is harder to find than a virgin in Patpong at 3 AM. Obfuscation is a fine art here. Makes me feel like I am reading the American news, in a distinctly unique frame. The same can be said for any of the countries that are the five permanent members of the UN Security Council, of course.

Gentleman, they had a few unique tricks of their own to begin with and we have taught them a few of ours as well. I chat about it, laugh, cry and rail about it, but none of that matters.

The crazy, lopsided, funky machine is howling its heinous sirens as it clunks along...and the marvelous Thainese Maenids in its train are shredding bystanders, reporters and tourists as it grinds and chunks and clunks along ahead.

I'm just staying off the street.

It may well grind to a hault, as quickly as the momentum is carrying it now.

They don't have the intelligence to maintain 'closed shop' mentality, as the backstabbing and cat-clawing to maintain position duly means I will crap on your back to save mine. They are all so deeply in the quagmire, and with dirty shadows afollowing, the ghost will crumble and come out eventually.

It may even be a case of one of the big players jumping ship, and a caused move to re-enable the olde historical adage, as calgaryII's favourite word, 'coup'? :D History repeats and repeats here, and my apologies for using the word again, but a 'coup' is generally the way, even within a self-party here in Th, to regroup, oust the PM and re-set the non-operative formula. I can see Chalerm offering his services for a coup - as there is no way he believes he is second in the pack or hounds! ;)

-mel.

That is only in a set of laws.Not in any intelligent person's head.

That is only in a set of laws.Not in any intelligent person's head.

It will be interesting to see which of our forum Thaksin apologists openly come out of the woodwork to provide any shred of cover for Arisman. Now we have at least one. One would think that shredding any claim to credibility would be a deterrent, but maybe only tatters left anyway.

• Like 1

And alleged murderers can go and sit on the opposition bench as well and nobody bats an eyelid.

I guess you refer to k. Abhisit 'kill me some red-shirts'?

BTW with my limited understanding of this strange language called 'english', having been charged and being alleged is not really the same. I mean I may allege our dear member PPD is a bit of a fool, but that's not the same as there being a court case where that 'accusation' is discussed.

PS I had to remove some of the quote with the forum front-end complaining. I saw some text which seemed to move when replying. New front-end, BIG improvement.

ADD: being out on bail is not the same as being able to travel abroad, even if the alleged perpetrator wants to go on pilgrimage.

Edited by rubl

Please review the video of Arisman exhorting the crowd to commit arson as a political tool, and then explain to me why you consider this not to be terrorism.

More to the point, why does a person on bail for terrorism, and with a past history of fleeing to avoid charges, have a passport and why was he allowed to leave the country for ANY reason?

Please review the video of Arisman exhorting the crowd to commit arson as a political tool, and then explain to me why you consider this not to be terrorism.

More to the point, why does a person on bail for terrorism, and with a past history of fleeing to avoid charges, have a passport and why was he allowed to leave the country for ANY reason?

At least he did come back which I'm sure surprised many here.

and for a relatively paltry 600,000 baht. :ermm:

Anyway, I would think threatening to burn to the ground thousands of mosques, dozens of airports, a hospital, et al would qualify for a charge of terrorism.

According to Arisaman in the video, his list of targets for burning are:

Siriraj Hospital,

All Muslim Mosques,

Government House,

Important Ministries,

Airports,

Rajavithi Road,

Bridges,

Bank of Thailand,

Commercial Banks,

Military Barracks,

Court of Justice,

and NGO's

will all be destroyed.

His retort is:

"Not one of these will remain standing."

btw, there are 3,494 mosques and 56 airports in Thailand. blink.gif

No info on the number of other targets like bridges and banks, etc.

I think it is most telling that the #1 target on his list was Siriraj Hospital

I would have thought that any "sane" man would have said " Under no circumstances touch Siriraj".!

But then again...............

Edited by ratcatcher

Call it what you like," incitement to arson", :"civil disobedience" but "terrorism" was always going to be a very difficult accusation to make it stick. The whole process was heavily politically charged and someone get a bit excited and called it terrorism. The authorities at the time were trying hard to get the terrorism charge to stick so that they could gain politically and also maybe get funding from outside cut off.

As for "why" they give him bail, the whole system stinks to high heaven, they allow coppers accused of shooting people in the head bail, they allow people who drive their merc's over bystanders bail, as someone pointed out, they allow MP's who are accused of shooting people in the head bail, they inexplicably allowed Thaksin bail, so I don't take it to mean that they are giving Arisman any special treament by allowing him bail.

The eventual reality of this is that they will never be able to make terrorism stick as a charge, so he will get off scot free. Would have been far smarter to get him on something else.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Call it what you like," incitement to arson", :"civil disobedience" but "terrorism" was always going to be a very difficult accusation to make it stick.

Ok then, let's call it uncivil disobedience.

The eventual reality of this is that they will never be able to make terrorism stick as a charge, so he will get off scot free. Would have been far smarter to get him on something else.

Lese Majeste?

Whatever they get him for, I really don't mind, but as I said, chasing him on terrorism charges was always going to be a difficult one.

We'll see if he gets off the terrorism charge. The prosecution could easily have evidence much more damning than a YouTube video that's not been made public yet.

Incidentally, Arisaman faces a myriad of charges, not only terrorism, going back to Black Songkran 2009, as well as storming Parliament and leading a raid on the Thaicom satellite station in 2010.

Now then, if he gets off on ALL of the lengthy roster of charges he faces, that would be really something.

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

We'll see if he gets off the terrorism charge. The prosecution could easily have evidence that's not been made public yet.

Incidentally, Arisaman faces a myriad of charges, not only terrorism, going back to Black Songkran 2009, as well as storming Parliament and leading a raid on the Thaicom satellite station in 2010.

Now then, if he gets off on ALL of the lengthy roster of charges he faces, that would be really something.

Hopefully, they will get him for something, eventually, in my lifetime, but I won't hold my breath waiting......

This is the system here, it moves at a snails pace or as quick as a whip depending on who is in power, we all know it, TIT.

I imagine that when it does go to court, there will be quite a few protesters outside holding posters

"WE DUN NUFFINK RONG"

absolutely... as we've seen before...

Red shirts to demand Arisman's release

The Nation

December 21, 2011 10:28 am

30172348-01_big.jpg

Red shirts in the North and Northeast will on Wednesday evening travel from their red villages to visit leader Arisman Pongruangrong in jail and demand his release from Bangkok Remand Prison tomorrow.

"Some 5,000 reds in the North and other 5,000 in the Northeast are planning to rally for Arisman," organiser Anont Saennan said.