My Work Permit Expires This Month And I'Ve Lost My Passport, What Will Happen?

As the title says my work permit expires at the end of this month and I wont have a replacement in time, unlikely anyhow. What will happen as i'll have no passport and an expired work permit with my new passport on the way...

Tricky one!

You will not be able to extend it. Ask your embassy if they issue an emergency passport. otherwise you will have to apply for a whole new work permit, not the end of the world.

If your permission to stay is based on your work, you will lose it the moment you don't have a work permit. As you are not allowed to work without one.

Renewing it or applying for a new wp costs the same, it is a little bit more paperwork but not much more.

Talk first with the labour office, they can be very helpful. But suspect you will have to wait til you get your new passport for a new one or extension can be issued. With an emergncy passport you should be able to renew.

Thankyou very much for your help on this, really is apreciated as this is super stressful! My boss just keeps telling me I might have to spend some time in jail! So I'll call immigration shortly and hopefully they will extend my visa till it arrives.

oh and final question. I know i can get credit after owning one for a year, if I get a new one instead of renewing does it stop this?

Edited by pritch84

Only if you work without a work permit can you be arrested and send to jail.

If you don't have a passport and are in need of a new extension, you will be on overstay at 500 baht a day once your permission to stay ends. When you have the enw passpor you go to immirgation (and labour) and have to pay the 500 baht a day at immigration and that is the end.

If your permission to stay also ends, an emergecy passport might be advisable to avoid complications and might turn out cheaper and safer than waiting for the new passport.

I would also reccomend that you take the scanned copy of your passport and visa page that we all keep for these type of emergencies into your embassy when applying for an emergency passport as these are not real passports and cannot have WP's etc. stamped into them.

Even presenting Immigration with your temporary passport AND a copy of your old visa page and passport you might still need to leave the country to obtain a new tourist or non-b visa. Bring them as much as you have.

If you did not scan and save the pages of your lost passport then you will have problems and a lesson learned when you get your new one.

Immigration is well aware of many people trying to scam them using the "I lost my passport" deal and do not like it.

One more thing is before you even go to your embassy you will need to go to the police station and file a report regarding your "lost passport" and they will issue you a paper to take to your embassy. No police report = No visa for sure.

There is no scamming Thai immigration by losing your passport. They have your file and will look you up in their system, including when you entered and if you are on overstay or not.

There used to be Mario hence the reason you must file a lost passport with the Thai police first. They need to know in the case that anyone else tries to use your passport if they have found it and also people can sell their passports on Khao Sarn Rd for 50,000 baht. Fact.

There was a scam many years ago and people would sell their passport on Khao sarn when they were broke then report that they had lost it.

Edited by Gone

Don't call immigration, go see somebody and explain the situation. Dress as if you are applying for an executive job with a major corporation. All the advice you are receiving here is from Farang, BUT you will be dealing with a Thai official and sometimes the decisions made will vary from official to official. (Higher the rank the better.) When you talk to the immigration official, be sure you take notes, especially his/her name. Repeat back what you think you have been advised by that individual. Do something to make the IO remember you and if you call or appear again, make an appointment if possible to meet or talk with that same IO. Make him/her your personal IO. Be certain to address the IO with his/her name. The more personal the relationship, the better. This worked for me. Saved me 20,000 baht in fines as well as an overstay report. I have never had a bad moment when dealing with immigration, but I never tried to lie or scam them, and I had two academic employers pulling crap on me in the hopes of getting me expelled from the country. Good luck.

Hi, last year I had to send my passport for renewal, Hong Kong, when I sent it it was a little late getting it back. My Non-B was due to run out the following week so I went to speak to the immigration office, having been dealing with them for over 12 months, they called their superior and because of where I was working, one of the largest schools in the area, I was told to report back the moment my new passport arrived or next open day. I got my passport the following Saturday and reported on the Monday and the transferred my visa across to the new passport and charged me 200 Baht. As for the lose of your passport I would have also gone and spoken to the officers at immigration and explained all the details and shown that you have sent for a replacement passport.

Hope that helps a little more.