Uk Citizenship

Hi there want to apply for citzenship for my thai wife could some tell me what is needed, i have read on one site the following

You may have been in Britain for five or more years. If this is the case you must Have held (ILR) and be married to a UK citizen

• Have had ILR in the UK for at least 12 months
  • Have held a UK Marriage Visa or Unmarried Partner Visa (De Facto) for at least two years (WHAT IS THIS)?? WE WERE MARRIED IN THAILAND .
  • Have not spent more than 450 days outside the UK in the last five years and no more than 90 days in the last 12 months
  • The applicant must be able to speak English

Many thanks pete

"Have held a UK Marriage Visa or Unmarried Partner Visa (De Facto) for at least two years (WHAT IS THIS)?? WE WERE MARRIED IN THAILAND ."

Where you were married doesn't matter. But to apply for UK citizenship, she needs (in your case) to have been living in the UK on a marriage visa and be in the UK at the time of application.

hi paully we were married in thailand and the visa stamp in her old passport is spouse of me

what is a marriage visa then??

thats what i thought we got?

It's that website's colloquial term for a settlement visa based on marriage to a UK citizen. It sounds like she has this and she also has ILR as you stated.

She should be fine with the application, just a bit of a bore to fill the form in. The huge fee to pay is a bit of a bore too!

...also, I think Thailand should "reciprocate" with the same rules for tourist visas as the US and UK has for Thai citizens. Interviews, fingerprints, full disclosure of assets, huge fees...and huge refusal rates (with no fee refund, thanks very much cha-ching cha-ching).

In my humble opinion, the UK and US should stop allowing Thai citizens from applying for citizenship until such time as the Thai government reciprocates.

It does already. I've been a Thai citizen for over a year now, originally American.

How many years did that take? How old are you? Are you part Thai?

I'm thinking that the bar is set way higher here in Thailand then the US or UK. I don't think the average 60 year old pasty-white farang like myself who has been married to a Thai for over 4 year, and speaks Thai but not fluently is going to be allowed to immigrate as much as I'd like to considering that this is where I live and I have no plans on returning to my home country.

But I'll concede that maybe that's my biased opinion. Set me straight if I'm way off base and there is no truth to what I just said You can PM me if you want...it doesn't have to be in this thread. Thanks.

Edited by connda

It is hard to beleive all the problems I read to get UK citizenship for our Thai wives.

I got married to my Thai wife on a Saturday, went to the UK Embassy on the following Monday and got her UK citizenship at the Embassy where she swore allegiance to the Queen. A week later I got her a UK passport. It was 35 years ago but why have things changed so much?

It is hard to beleive all the problems I read to get UK citizenship for our Thai wives.

I got married to my Thai wife on a Saturday, went to the UK Embassy on the following Monday and got her UK citizenship at the Embassy where she swore allegiance to the Queen. A week later I got her a UK passport. It was 35 years ago but why have things changed so much?

Because of the EU and the Movement of Labour policy (open borders migration) - right now the UK is swamped with economic migrants from Eastern Europe and each county (on average) has over 18,000 British nationals or family units registered as homeless (source = Channel 4 documentary about vacant properties, forgot the name but it's on 4oD via internet).

In addition to the recession, and house prices for first time buyers being 12 times salary across the country, the unemployment numbers have been massaged so many different ways and times by successive governments, it's now estimated that as much as 40% of all working age adults are unemployed. Meanwhile, most NHS trusts and hospitals (for example) are staffed by as much as 50% of immigrants from Europe and Africa.

In some boroughs, unemployment amongst youths (under 25s) is as high as 80%.

According to the UK 2011 census and supporting reports, between 2005 and 2010, the UK created a total of 2 million new jobs net of other factors. However, in the same period, 2.2 million mainland EU citizens entered the UK and took up full time permanent employment - this left a net loss of 200,000 jobs for Britons in their own country.

Under the Blair/Brown Labour governments non-EU immigration rose from a quota of 10,000 per annum to an estimated 100,000 per annum.

These are all reasons why Cameron and the LibCon alliance are trying to make immigration as difficult as possible, But, they're hampered by EU law about discrimination and thus cannot make one set of rules for spouses of Brits, and another for everyone else ... at least that's their excuse. Loss of sovereignty is what many people call it here, which is why there's such a big movement to get a referendum on whether or not to stay in the EU.