Thai Navy Torpedoes Bt7.6-Billion Submarine Project

webfact

SUBMARINES

Navy torpedoes Bt7.6-billion submarine project

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Navy chief Admiral Surasak Runroengrom conceded yesterday the Navy would no longer push for the purchase of four used submarines with a Bt7.6 billion price tag from Germany.

"The deadline for purchase passed on February 29, and the Navy will not seek to keep the buying option," he said.

Surasak said the Navy had done its best but failed to push through plans for the deployment of the submarines.

Following a series of reviews, Defence Minister Sukampol Suwannathat reportedly finalised his decision to scuttle the project. He has yet to instruct the Navy on whether to come up with a spending plan for new submarines.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-14

As I understand it, those subs were particularly designed for shallow waters - like the Gulf of Thailand- though I don't know what the German Navy used them for originally.

Most of the sub designs out there are orientated at deeper water situations. So it may take a long time before they reconcile their needs with their budget.

Cheers

The thought of Thai sailors running around under water in deep sea Submarines doesn't bear thinking about. Wouldn't be long before there was a catastrophic accident or a major diplomatic incident. Best for them to order a few more rowing boats for the next floods.

• Like 2

The 206 class was designed to operate in the Baltic, and to be able to avoid detection by magnetic mines. The design is a 70's vintage dated but with modernization and a climate control upgrade could be used well in the Gulf. Still I agree that Thailand has much better things to spend their money on. They won't, the politicians will simply find something else to spend the peoples money on and put a kick back in their own pockets.

• Like 1

The thought of Thai sailors running around under water in deep sea Submarines doesn't bear thinking about. Wouldn't be long before there was a catastrophic accident or a major diplomatic incident. Best for them to order a few more rowing boats for the next floods.

"a few more rowing boats for the next floods" .. yes, and not far off my own thoughts, seriously, of a fleet of army ducks, equipped to ferry shipping containers across flooded sections of highways to the industry parks, to keep the factories in operation. This was one of the biggest problems. Yes, there were many flooded factories, but there were several which were simply isolated and closed because the supply chain was broken, with containers stacking up on the wharves costing millions in storage, on top of the massively expensive down-time.

it's the yellow submarine stationed in Pattaya out of service already? why do they want more? they could go to play with the balloons the army purchased not so long ago..

A bad decision, but there was so much herpderping about submarines I expected it. The submarines were very cheap and they could have spent the next 10-15 years building up experience operating these cheap German ones before investing in a modern one. The fact is this is a dangerous part of the world of the world and it's best to be prepared. They still have to get a submarine eventually only now they'll be spending a lot more and having to put a green crew in a billion dollar machine instead of a cheap training sub.

"...the military's most ambitious procurement programme – a requirement for submarines – was returned to the Navy unapproved by new defence minister General Yutthasak Sasiprapa in September. The Navy had requested the acquisition of two ex-German Navy Type 206A diesel-electric submarines, at a reported cost of US$220mn, but the Ministry of Defence ruled that the proposal required more work, suggesting that alternatives should also be considered. Nonetheless, with most of Thailand's regional neighbours in the process of acquiring submarines of their own, Thailand can be expected to place an order for submarines in the near future."

Thailand Defence and Security Report Q1 2012

Copyright © 2012 Business Monitor International

When I was a child, you could buy plastic model submarines that were propelled by baking soda or some such goop, when immersed in water. Endless fun in the kiddy bathtub... about Matchbox Toy size. Cheaper and just as useful, maybe more so. A suggested alternative.

When I was a child, you could buy plastic model submarines that were propelled by baking soda or some such goop, when immersed in water. Endless fun in the kiddy bathtub... about Matchbox Toy size. Cheaper and just as useful, maybe more so. A suggested alternative.

With Armed Forces using flying drones, floating ones will come soon I guess, but submerged may require a bit more 'remote control' or 'on-board intelligence'. I doubt the RTN will lead in this type of development.

I feel now sorry the aircraft carrier has to stand obsolete alone, and no submarine captain now can flee the scene if in an underwater accident.

The navy chief must have read our posts from last year, and decided to cancel due to it being ridiculous. WELL DONE POSTERS Ha Ha.

He has yet to instruct the Navy on whether to come up with a spending plan for new submarines.

If all the top brass melt down all those medals hanging on their coats, they've got enough material to build their own submarines. rolleyes.gif

I remember those toy ones. We didn't buy them, they came free with packets of cereals, as did Kitmaster Kits later from Nabisco. Reckon this sort of stuff would keep the Thai Navy busy with something they couldn't do any damage with and would provide hours of harmless fun.

• Like 2

So it's no the Navy, it's the defense minister that stalled the project. He must have read TV for sure.

Jokes about Laos are funny, but Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore are all getting submarines. Thailand is dragging its feet already, while people here ridicule the defense budget. Life goes on.

Edited by volk666

Good to have strong neighbors and strong allies, and save all that money. What is the current or likely future threat this sub would counteract or discourage? If it were China or India, would it be credible or efective? And we are in debt up to the earholes already...

So it's no the Navy, it's the defense minister that stalled the project. He must have read TV for sure.

Jokes about Laos are funny, but Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore are all getting submarines. Thailand is dragging its feet already, while people here ridicule the defense budget. Life goes on.

Many might be surprised by the fact that Thailand operated about 6 submarines in the 1930's. I expect the Japanese scrapped the lot but don't have the interest to find out. I can't imagine what the Thais used them for. For sure it wasn't to repulse the invading Japanese or indeed anyone.

Before commenting I suggest readers get hold of a copy of 'Submarine' by the well informed Tom Clancey - only $10.82 from Amazon. Read it and you will then realise what a nonsense it is for any SE Asian country to purchase big boy's toys. The Russians gave up contesting the deep knowing that they couldn't compete with the USN and the RN. I suggest the best policy for Thailand is to hide under the skirts of Uncle Sam.

N.B. I am not suggesting that Uncle Samis a transvestite. jap.gif

Tha Royal Thai Navy is still suffering from institutionalized second class status since they were involved in that failed coup some 70 years ago. Not to mention the embarassment of the true chang puak in Thailand, the HMS Chakri Naruebet.