Thai Passport

Lakdee

Hello ,

I would like to ask for advice , maybe you guys have more experience.

I just called Thai Embassy in Bern (Swiss). The officer told me that I could only asked for Thai nationality for my kid (5 months old). Thai passport can't be made till she becomes 8 yrs???.. is that true in Thailand also?? She said rule just changed recently. She said when she leave or enter thailand , baby use Swiss passport and show Thai nationality paper only so no need to pay for visa if stay long....

I used to call embassy before my wife gave birth (about 6 months ago). She said I could make passport for my kid whenever I wanted. But NOW I must wait she becomes 8 yrs old..oohhhh burrrr!!

I will go Thailand early next year. If it is possible to make passport in BKK stead?? I prefer she has her Thai passport anyway..

Any guys make Thai passport recently ??? please advise

Thanks in advance...

Hello,

Thanks for all replies

Yes, it sounds strange for me too.. I would prefer she gets her Thai passsport. Perhaps, I must take her to make Thai passport in BKK instead of asking from here.???

My baby was born in Swiss, I have been legally married to Thai woman in Swiss. However, we don't register our marriage under Thai law still.

regards

Your Swiss marriage certificate, plus the child's birth certificate should be sufficient for you to register the child at the Thai Embassy and get a passport.

If necessary take it in stages.

Get the Thai nationality sorted first.

Then the passport. I am pretty sure any Thai national, whatever age, is entitled to

a Thai passport.

Edited by astral

My son have his first passport when he was 2 months old. He remade his passport when he was 5 years old just this year a few months back (The pasport is valide for 5 years).

But that was done in Thailand so I wouldn't know about the embassy rules.

Anyway, all I know is that you need to have the Thai Citizenship first before you can have the passport and marriage alone to a Thai woman, whether in Thailand or in any other country, does not immediately gets Thai Citizenship (unless born in Thailand), very different from marrying a Thai guy whereby Citizenship, if he wants, will be automatic.

I think its the same for most countries. (It is, in Singapore).

Lakdee

According to the Bern website you shouldn't have a problem. The first thing you will need is a Thai birth certificate.

Birth Certificate

A child born to a Thai parent outside Thailand is entitled to acquire Thai nationality, the parents can apply for a birth certificate for their child at the Royal Thai Embassy in the country of birth. For the child who was born either in Switzerland or Liechtenstein, the parents can apply for a birth certificate at the Royal Thai Embassy in Bern.

The following documents are required in order to obtain a Thai birth certificate :

- 2 copies of the Swiss/Liechtenstein birth certificate and its translation into Thai; both documents must be legalized.        

- 2 copies of the marriage certificate of the parents and its translation into Thai; both documents must   be legalized.        

- 2 copies of the passport of the father and the passport of the mother (either two Thai passports or one Swiss/Liechtenstein and one Thai passport)

- 2 copies of the identity cards of the father and of the mother

Birth Certificate is issued free of charge.

Document Legalization

DOCUMENT QUALIFIED FOR LEGALIZATION :- 

According to the regulation issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand, the Royal Thai Embassy is authorized to legalize documents bearing the seal of Swiss Federal Chancellery only.

DOCUMENTS AND ITEMS TO BE SUBMITTED :-

1. Application form 

2. Original documents to be legalized

3. A copy of each page of the original documents to be legalized.

4. Fee 22 CHF

DISCLAIMER :-

The Royal Thai Embassy assumes no responsibility for the contents of the documents submitted for legalization.

Once you obtain the Birth certificate then you can apply for a Passport

New Passport for Thai Children born in Switzerland and Liechtenstein

Children who may apply for a Thai passport must be those whose either one of  their parents has Thai nationality

REQUIREMENTS:

1. Thai Birth Certificate

2. Parent’s valid passports together with two copies of pages, which show endorsement

3. Two Passport Application forms (please fill out both front and back of the form) Signatures of both father and mother are required in the back of the form

4. Two Legalization forms and Investigation forms filled out by father or mother who is a Thai national. (If both parents are Thai, the forms are required to be completed by the father.)

5. Two copy of marriage certificate of their parents

6. Three recent passport-sized photographs (2"x2"). (Photographs must have a light-plain background with a full-face view of the child without wearing a hat or dark glasses. Proper attire is required. Tank top is not acceptable.)

7. Fee 105 CHF.  (for the processing fee of 100 CHF  and the picture zooming fee of 5 CHF)

All of this was obtained from:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/1409.php?id=1510

I am not 100% sure, but suspect that it may be dificult to get the Thai birth certificate outside of Switzerland, as that is where the child was born. Once you have a Thai Birth certificate then I can't think of any reason why you should not be able to obtain a passport for your child either in Switzerland or in Thailand.

Like other posters, both my daughters obtained Thai passports when they were less than 6 months old with no problems

Hope everything goes well for you

Hello again,

Thanks for all advices , especially information from Slimdog. I was really appreciated ...

Regards,

Lakdee

According to the Bern website you shouldn't have a problem. The first thing you will need is a Thai birth certificate.

Birth Certificate

A child born to a Thai parent outside Thailand is entitled to acquire Thai nationality, the parents can apply for a birth certificate for their child at the Royal Thai Embassy in the country of birth. For the child who was born either in Switzerland or Liechtenstein, the parents can apply for a birth certificate at the Royal Thai Embassy in Bern.

The following documents are required in order to obtain a Thai birth certificate :

- 2 copies of the Swiss/Liechtenstein birth certificate and its translation into Thai; both documents must be legalized.        

- 2 copies of the marriage certificate of the parents and its translation into Thai; both documents must   be legalized.        

- 2 copies of the passport of the father and the passport of the mother (either two Thai passports or one Swiss/Liechtenstein and one Thai passport)

- 2 copies of the identity cards of the father and of the mother

Birth Certificate is issued free of charge.

Document Legalization

DOCUMENT QUALIFIED FOR LEGALIZATION :- 

According to the regulation issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand, the Royal Thai Embassy is authorized to legalize documents bearing the seal of Swiss Federal Chancellery only.

DOCUMENTS AND ITEMS TO BE SUBMITTED :-

1. Application form 

2. Original documents to be legalized

3. A copy of each page of the original documents to be legalized.

4. Fee 22 CHF

DISCLAIMER :-

The Royal Thai Embassy assumes no responsibility for the contents of the documents submitted for legalization.

Once you obtain the Birth certificate then you can apply for a Passport

New Passport for Thai Children born in Switzerland and Liechtenstein

Children who may apply for a Thai passport must be those whose either one of  their parents has Thai nationality

REQUIREMENTS:

1. Thai Birth Certificate

2. Parent’s valid passports together with two copies of pages, which show endorsement

3. Two Passport Application forms (please fill out both front and back of the form) Signatures of both father and mother are required in the back of the form

4. Two Legalization forms and Investigation forms filled out by father or mother who is a Thai national. (If both parents are Thai, the forms are required to be completed by the father.)

5. Two copy of marriage certificate of their parents

6. Three recent passport-sized photographs (2"x2"). (Photographs must have a light-plain background with a full-face view of the child without wearing a hat or dark glasses. Proper attire is required. Tank top is not acceptable.)

7. Fee 105 CHF.  (for the processing fee of 100 CHF  and the picture zooming fee of 5 CHF)

All of this was obtained from:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/1409.php?id=1510

I am not 100% sure, but suspect that it may be dificult to get the Thai birth certificate outside of Switzerland, as that is where the child was born. Once you have a Thai Birth certificate then I can't think of any reason why you should not be able to obtain a passport for your child either in Switzerland or in Thailand.

Like other posters, both my daughters obtained Thai passports when they were less than 6 months old with no problems

Hope everything goes well for you

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All Again,

I did call agian to Bern Embassy. Information that I have got was almost the same like I started the topic.

However, I wanted to add what documents they required to get Thai Nationality Certificate. They still confirmed that kid can make passport only when he/she becomes 8 yrs, still confirmed!

-Birth Certificate from HOSPITAL.

-Birth Certificate from CITY.

and

-Mariage Certificate.

Those 3 documents must be translated in THAI. So I will make my baby THAI Nationality certificate first then..

so I will do my baby Thai passport when I go to THAILAND, cause I can't do here.. hurrr!!

regards,