British Man, Wife Murdered In Thai Resort

webfact

In 1993 we stayed on Koh Samui Chaweng Beach. One night we went out and came back my suitcase was stolen from my room. We suspected the owner, who gavce us back the rent for the room so easily. But we couldn't proof anything. But being at the Tourist Police that day I found out that it happened a lot. At the same time there were 3 other tourists to bring in a "criminal act". So was everything back then so much better as it is now? I don't think so, only now the word gets spread out quickly on the internet.

• Like 2

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it increased media coverage or a real increase, not just in Thailand but globally? Everyday the BBC reports crimes of violence in England, is it due to drugs, poverty, or simply mixing too many different cultures together? In the third world tourists, even back packers, are automatically seen as rich and good targets.

You make some valid points......bit of a catch22, don't you think? wink.png

I doubt the crime rate has increased or that it is focused at foreigners. If you have lived here long enough, you know this happens often and is a very common occurance to Thai's and non-Thai's. With the Internet it is now much harder to sweep things under the carpet and we now here about it more often.

The police are only required to notify the embassy in the event of a death, not the newspaper and that has been the proceedure.

Almost every school, city and village has multiple gangs and turf wars and parental guidance is almost non-existant in the rural society. Many newcomers do not understand that almost any criticism, even if it is constructive criticism, may be taken as an offense. Beatings, stabbings, shooting and robbery are common and the police are reluctant to get involved, unless someone with power or money puts pressure on them.

Once the youth leave the village and move into a community where they are not known, be careful.

• Like 1

I stayed in a beach resort in Bang Saphan for a few weeks during the past flood and drove to the beaches in Thap Sakae which were real nice,white, and clean.

There are many resorts facing the beaches and the ones I checked on were well kept and the restaurants along the beach had great food.

I didn't see much security as I was scouting for future resort references.

The place I was staying at in Bang Saphan was more like a Russian Gulag and had seen better days. If anything were going to happen bad you would have thought it would be there.

Hard to believe these things can happen. It's even more hard to believe how quickly the criminals are caught, confess and reenact the crime scene. How can you protect/defend yourself from these senseless crimes.

Peace to the victims and family.

If the police had a eye witness that saw what happened, they were told to confess and the length of their sentance will be cut in half.

If they are good boys and work in the prison, they will most likely get one day cut off from their sentance for each day they work.

There is also a chance they will get put on the prisoner early release program.

If there is any justice in this world, they will rot in jail ..

My deepest sympathy for them and their family and friends.

If the police had a eye witness that saw what happened, they were told to confess and the length of their sentance will be cut in half.

Alternatively a celephane wrap works wonders in obtaining confessions and saves an awful lot of donkey work

Alternatively a celephane wrap works wonders in obtaining confessions and saves an awful lot of donkey work

You're right about that,they practice water boarding at the local police station as well.

Got to say I am thinking about having a hand gun in the house, only I don't like to as I have two small kids who might get hold of it. And before you say lock it away, how long do you think it would take to find the keys.

Can anyone give out the name of this resort ?

I will warn anyone I know about this place.

It is not about the place, it is about the ones who committed a crime, which could have happened anywhere.

As for me, that place will be one of the safest for the time coming till everybody starts forgetting.

'"At first two suspects -- a chef and a security guard -- admitted they had robbed the couple of 2,000 baht ($67), a mobile phone and a Bangkok Bank ATM card," Winai said.'

Sorry to hear of this horrible crime.

Unsurprisingly the police have failed to come up with a convincing motive. Either the killers thought there was a lot more cash in the room or there is another motive that has not come out. Seems the killers left a trail pointing to themselves that was too obvious even for the BiB to miss and they obviously have no money or connections.

I wonder if the admission of taking 2,000 Baht falls short of reality. Was there no jewelery, camera, watches, laptop, car ?

Scotland Yard must get great entertainment from the Thai press & forums....

What a truly horrific and terrifying way to die. My thoughts are with the family.

I'm not sure however, where people who say crimes like this are on the rise get their figures from. The only official figures relating to crime are held by governments and no government anywhere in the world would ever admit to crime levels going up while they were in charge. In the UK for example, when the crime rates rise, they simply change the way the statistics are collected to make it appear that crime levels have actually gone down. I'm sure all governments use similar tactics, which makes it impossible to tell whether crime rates have actually risen or gone down.

What with the internet, crimes like this are reported a lot more than they ever used to be, and from what people say, Thai press are now more inclined to report these stories than they were before, so it's understandable for people to assume that crime is on the rise, but is it really?

I'm not saying whether it is or it isn't. I'm just saying nobody really knows.

Got to say I am thinking about having a hand gun in the house, only I don't like to as I have two small kids who might get hold of it. And before you say lock it away, how long do you think it would take to find the keys.

Two words - Gun Safe...

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

^ I don't see it reported on the Bangkok Post's site.

I find that a bit strange.

on Channel 3 news this morning - the reenactment

THis is terribly sad.

but it isn't helped by those who start crying and moaning about "crime on the increase" "it's getting worse" - these are ridiculous conclusions to draw from this incident.

I don't think it's crying and moaning it's stating the facts,perhaps if you reside in Thailand full time you are more akin to seeing this type of headline on a daily basis and are hardened to it,some like myself who split my time between here and the UK don't always follow the day to day news items when back working in the UK,all I can say from my recent personal experience of the last 3 months being present in Thailand is that I am now more aware of the daily Farang deaths,accidents,stabbings muggings,child abuse and general crime.

So you do not see these things happening when you are at work in the UK? No murders or robberies there in the news daily? Wow, Maybe since it is so much safer there you should just stay there then. I myself see things getting bad worldwide not just in Thailand. This stuff happens all over the world. Rest in Peace to the victims here. Pay attention where ever you may be in all your travels people. Bad people are out there and they do bad things. Peace.

You have misread my post,I was referring to following Thai news reports whilst back in the UK due to the 7 hour time difference and work commitment,obviously I read the same things happening here,the big difference here being that one usually gets to read about the outcome of such incidents also.

Koreans always look to blame foreigners for everything that happens in Korea...Koreans cannot stand to see the truth of the matter and will always, always try to save-face in every matter.

Indeed. Just like the Thais.

I wonder if the admission of taking 2,000 Baht falls short of reality. Was there no jewelery, camera, watches, laptop, car ?

Scotland Yard must get great entertainment from the Thai press & forums....

The couple was living in the small uptown country of Chum Phae (Khon Kaen province) and was on a short beach holiday.

So this might explain that they did not carry such valueables with them.

Today I will probably learn about/meet people who live in Chum Phae and knew the victims.

Very sad, how somebody can come to do that to the elderly is beyond me.RIP.

Hmm, so if the victims were younger it would somehow be less atrocious?

I don't think that's what he meant, and neither do you. This would be an atrocious murder no matter who it happened to, but the thought of it happening to a defenceless elderly couple is particularly nasty.

Don't know why there are so many posts claiming violence going up in Thailand. I assume because there

are more and more foreigners here that can't read the thai papers or understand what they are saying on the news.

I haven't seen anything to prove that violence is increasing in Thailand, it might be increasing with victoms being

foreign tourists, but that is not to say the percentage per capita is increasing.

Of course the more foreign tourists you have, the more crimes on a per head basis will occur with them being

victoms of a crime. But again that is not an actual increase in crime.

I think a lot of foreigners are clueless when it comes to crime in Thailand, the Bangkok Post is not an english

translation of Thai rath or the Daily. They are completely different, and there are probably more violent crimes

reported in a day in Thai rath, then there are reported in the Bangkok post all year.

• Like 1

Very sad, how somebody can come to do that to the elderly is beyond me.RIP.

Hmm, so if the victims were younger it would somehow be less atrocious?

I don't think that's what he meant, and neither do you. This would be an atrocious murder no matter who it happened to, but the thought of it happening to a defenceless elderly couple is particularly nasty.

Agreed

Can anyone give out the name of this resort ?

I will warn anyone I know about this place.

What page did you start reading from? You could even go to post 129? lol

It is also on MSN UK

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

Two words - Gun Safe...

Two words - Gun Safe...

or combination lock, as long as your memory is ok that is?

jb1

How often do you see a article about a Thai killing another Thai. No often yet Thailand rates high up on the list of countries for murder. It just isn't that big a thing for a Thai to kill a Thai here. Where as for a Thai to kill a farong it is a big thing.

Every single day................................just not in English speaking newspaper.

It is not a "big thing" for a Thai to kill a foreigner, it is a "big thing" on Thai visa though.