Changing Handle Bar Position Er-6F Ninja 650?

TylerBKK

I was wondering if I bought an ER-6F Ninja 650 how difficult it would be to change the handle bar position the be like a ZX6R? I like the ER-6F, but I am so used to a sport/race bike handle bar position and when I test drove my friends ER-6N I found the handle bar position felt quite awkward.

Is changing the handle bar position a big challenge, cost, and would it have any downsides in terms of how the bike would ride in any way?

Also, would it be easy to get real Kawasaki parts in Thailand to make the change or would only low quality after market parts be available for a mod like this?

Cheers...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i understand zx6r parts are expensive to acquire in thai but i dont know the specifics

i would like to try lower bars too for high speeds but maybe a windscreen would fix that also

because after 160+ its a fairly signifigant blast of wind on my chest ,shoulders ,next and head

lower bars and a wind breaker to hide behind would be a great help im sure

You can change to clip on bars quite easily. Suzuki SV650 clip on's seem to fit the best. Most other clip-ons have clearance issues with stock bodywork and windscreen. Another option are Sport Bars:

Ninja650V2SportBars3Sm.jpg

Installed:

Ninja650V2SportBars4.jpg

Clip ons or sport bars are a great improvement over the very tall stock bars IMO :)

Ride On!

Tony

i understand zx6r parts are expensive to acquire in thai but i dont know the specifics

ZX6R clip ons will not fit on the EX650 smile.png

i didnt say they would fit :) that was the op

i just heard they were expensive

ZX6R clip ons will not fit on the EX650 smile.png

i didnt say they would fit smile.png that was the op

i just heard they were expensive

Actually you can find them really cheap, but still won't fit :)

http://compare.ebay.com/like/330653832673?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

Thanks Everyone.

So Tony, those sports bars you posted would fit onto a 2012 ER-6F?

If so, what are the cost? And what about the quality?

And that sample picture you posted with them added on looks like an ER-6, am I correct?

If this would work then my only question is would your stomach be pressed up too close to the gas tank on a ER-6F with the handle bar grips positioned lower?

The gas tank on the ZX6R looks like a lower profile tank. So I'm just thinking if the tank is higher up on a ER-6F that it could be uncomfortable when you ride with lower bars.

But maybe I am wrong and perhaps the tanks on both bikes arent any different. It's just in photos they appear as if they have different heights to me.

post-147689-133171737692_thumb.jpg

post-147689-133171739047_thumb.jpg

Seems the sports bars work well.

But seems there isn't a model yet available for 2011-2012 bikes as far as I can see. And they are also put of stock. This is what I gather from the manufactures' web site:

http://www.motospecialties.com/store.asp?store=ninja650shop&level=category&type=09-11%20ER-6n&type1=Handlebars&type2=Handlebars&category=Sport%20Bars

Thanks Everyone.

So Tony, those sports bars you posted would fit onto a 2012 ER-6F?

If so, what are the cost? And what about the quality?

And that sample picture you posted with them added on looks like an ER-6, am I correct?

If this would work then my only question is would your stomach be pressed up too close to the gas tank on a ER-6F with the handle bar grips positioned lower?

The gas tank on the ZX6R looks like a lower profile tank. So I'm just thinking if the tank is higher up on a ER-6F that it could be uncomfortable when you ride with lower bars.

But maybe I am wrong and perhaps the tanks on both bikes arent any different. It's just in photos they appear as if they have different heights to me.

Sorry, no idea if they've made sport bars for the new 2012 Ninja 650 yet...

Tony, you are also saying these would fit the Ninja 650?

http://www.bonanza.c...-41mm-/60711731

Sorry, I'm not going to guess about aftermarket fitment of the Vortex clip-ons on a Ninja 650. They'll fit the forks no problem, but I have no idea if they'll clear stock bodywork and screen. You might want to ask this question on one of the Kawasaki forums. My personal favorite is Kawiforums. Sorry, not allowed to post a link on ThaiVisa. Rules, ya know ;)

I think I answered my question about the stomach and the tank issue if you change the handle bars. This snap shows the Sports Bars installed on a ER-6F Ninja 650. Plenty of stomach clearance on the tank still.

That's a 2nd gen 09-11 model. I think you're asking about sport bars or clip ons for the new 2012 model, yes? Ducati Omaha (who own and run Ninja650shop.com) haven't made sport bars for the 2012 yet...

Thanks Tony. The Sport Bars they are offering on their site say they are the 3.0 version now. Anyway, I have written an email to them about the 2012 model compatability. Waiting to see what they say.

What`s the difference between the 2012 and the 2010/11 ?

I ask because i have two of these handlebar bosses in my house somewhere (v2 for the 2010/11) from ducatiomaha (ninja650shop.com ) not the tubes tho, but these are easy got at your local metal store, then just mark and drill the switch locating holes the same as the standard bar (this is actually a plus as you can use thicker walled tubes which cut down the vibes), it`s the center part where the money is...

The difference between the v2 and v3 is that the v3 is one machined part, on the v2 the pipe clamps can be taken off, no real difference, just an update.

If the key fob on the 2012 is in the same position (offset to the right) and the hole spacings are the same on the top triple bracket as the 2010/11 and providing the fairings and tank havn`t changed the the v2 should fit no worries..

These bars make a (better) riding position on the ninja 650..

Edited by rizla

Thanks Tony. The Sport Bars they are offering on their site say they are the 3.0 version now. Anyway, I have written an email to them about the 2012 model compatability. Waiting to see what they say.

I ask because i have two of these handlebar bosses in my house somewhere (v2 for the 2010/11) from ducatiomaha (ninja650shop.com ) not the tubes tho, but these are easy got at your local metal store, then just mark and drill the switch locating holes the same as the standard bar, it`s the center part where the money is...

Looking at the pics it would appear that the handlebar bolts might be the same pattern on the 2nd and 3rd generation bikes-

2012Ninja650IntrmtViewSSR.jpg

There's still the question of whether the sport bars will clear the 2012 bodywork, screen and instruments. On the 2nd gen model the clearances were very tight- you only had a couple mm between bars and tank at full lock and for most the clutch and brake levers just touches the screen at full lock.

Hope someone can test out the sport bars on 2012 model so we can see if they fit!

Ride On!

Tony

I ask because i have two of these handlebar bosses in my house somewhere (v2 for the 2010/11) from ducatiomaha (ninja650shop.com ) not the tubes tho, but these are easy got at your local metal store, then just mark and drill the switch locating holes the same as the standard bar, it`s the center part where the money is...

Looking at the pics it would appear that the handlebar bolts might be the same pattern on the 2nd and 3rd generation bikes-

2012Ninja650IntrmtViewSSR.jpg

There's still the question of whether the sport bars will clear the 2012 bodywork, screen and instruments. On the 2nd gen model the clearances were very tight- you only had a couple mm between bars and tank at full lock and for most the clutch and brake levers just touches the screen at full lock.

Hope someone can test out the sport bars on 2012 model so we can see if they fit!

Ride On!

Tony

Never seen the 2012 in the flesh, looks like they moved the fob onto the tank, so no worry in that dept, yes the spacings for the bolts look the same (a little wider on the top two) as for the tank and fairing clearances thats another story, But if you cut your own tubes then that might be overcome for the v2/v3..

Thanks for all the good thoughts. It seems to me the easiest thing would be to wait a bit and see if Sport Bars puts out a new 4.0 model for 2012 bikes. I haven't actually bought the bike yet and was thinking I'll wait until at least the Bangkok Motor Show at the end of the month to see if maybe Honda still has a CBR600 hidden up their sleeve somewhere. If they do then that might get the nod instead. So no mad rush to get the bars just yet unless I get a one.

What kind of surprised me is that I read top speed on the bike is only 200kmh. Not that I need anything faster, but I've even had my CBR250R up to 163kmh. So I was thinking a bike with more than double the cc, two cylinders, and triple the horse power would have a top end of more than just 25% more than my CBR.

I was also

Thanks for all the good thoughts. It seems to me the easiest thing would be to wait a bit and see if Sport Bars puts out a new 4.0 model for 2012 bikes. I haven't actually bought the bike yet and was thinking I'll wait until at least the Bangkok Motor Show at the end of the month to see if maybe Honda still has a CBR600 hidden up their sleeve somewhere. If they do then that might get the nod instead. So no mad rush to get the bars just yet unless I get a one.

What kind of surprised me is that I read top speed on the bike is only 200kmh. Not that I need anything faster, but I've even had my CBR250R up to 163kmh. So I was thinking a bike with more than double the cc, two cylinders, and triple the horse power would have a top end of more than just 25% more than my CBR.

I was also

The EX650 isn't really built for speed. It's got more torque than most 600cc supersports though, which in real world riding is often more useful than top end horsepower.

I've had my ER6n's and Ninja 650R up to ~220 indicated with only minor mods. If someone wanted more top end it would simply be a matter of dropping one or two teeth off the rear sprocket to gain a higher top speed. Of course, not many places in Thailand where you can safely go that fast...

Edited by BigBikeBKK

I was also

The EX650 isn't really built for speed. It's got more torque than most 600cc supersports though, which in real world riding is often more useful than top end horsepower.

I've had my ER6n's and Ninja 650R up to ~220 indicated with only minor mods. If someone wanted more top end it would simply be a matter of dropping one or two teeth off the rear sprocket to gain a higher top speed. Of course, not many places in Thailand where you can safely go that fast...

i can get similar speeds ,an er6n will more or less fill the clock if you push it but the wind is the only problem

i get pretty blasted at that end of the spectrum ,thats how i was wondering how people comfortably do 250-270+ on their z1000s

i think at some speed ,you need fairings and a windscreen

If I buy one I will definitely get the ER-6F with the fairings and wind screen and probably change the exhaust. But that's about it I think. The main reason for even wanting a bigger bike though if not for the top end, but the greater torque and acceleration you mentioned. The CBR250 has plenty of power for the city, but sometimes I feel a bit under powered on the highways. When an wheeler on Red Bull starts coming at you sideways it would be nice to have a bit more power to get out of the way. It's really having a bit of power left to move quickly without dropping gears when you are already crushing up around 120kmh. I think a bigger bike would give me that. As well as more power and acceleration off the line. Otherwise the CBR250 is a great bike for the price and for what it is.

If I buy one I will definitely get the ER-6F with the fairings and wind screen and probably change the exhaust. But that's about it I think. The main reason for even wanting a bigger bike though if not for the top end, but the greater torque and acceleration you mentioned. The CBR250 has plenty of power for the city, but sometimes I feel a bit under powered on the highways. When an wheeler on Red Bull starts coming at you sideways it would be nice to have a bit more power to get out of the way. It's really having a bit of power left to move quickly without dropping gears when you are already crushing up around 120kmh. I think a bigger bike would give me that. As well as more power and acceleration off the line. Otherwise the CBR250 is a great bike for the price and for what it is.

An ER-6F will give you that. They have considerably more get up and go at highway speeds than a CBR250.

An ER-6F will give you that. They have considerably more get up and go at highway speeds than a CBR250.

easily ,you can overtake a car doing 140-160kmph without much bother ,and the torque is impressive for a bike

that weighs over 200+ kg

its the kind of bike that feels like it could pull a trailer with ease (not tested that :) )

the suzuki gladius is supposed to be very good in this class of bikes also but an imported one could cost a bomb in thai

so the er6n is a safe bet and the engine feels tight after 30,000 (use good quality oil folks ) and it will treat you welll

Agreed Wana. That's what keeps me back from buying any import. A CBR600RR would actually be my first choice rather than any Kawa if it weren't for the import duties. Also bikes made in Thailand will be easier to get parts for if needed.

post-147689-133179425675_thumb.jpg

Got this reply from the regarding Sports Bars for the 2012 ER6:

We are currently in the process of designing some!

Thanks!

Jennifer Lacy

Online Sales/ Parts Manager

DUCATI Omaha

So possibly they are around 6 month away if you factor in manufacturing time and logistics as well.

I had a sat on a 2012 Ninja today with the fairings. I had a look at the layout of the tank, the steering column and the dashboard fairing assembly. I have my doubts that they are going to be able to design a handle bar mod to get the handle bars down into a sport position. The gap seems quite narrow between the tank and the dashboard assembly. Quite disappointing actually.

Agreed Wana. That's what keeps me back from buying any import. A CBR600RR would actually be my first choice rather than any Kawa if it weren't for the import duties. Also bikes made in Thailand will be easier to get parts for if needed.

I wouldn't hold out too long waiting for something like a CBR600RR without import duty, with parts readily available at the Thai main dealer. Not gonna happen in the next 5 years IMO. You've just got to suck it up and take the choice.

1.Spend more money than you'd like to on an import from someone like RedBaron (second hand ones are getting more reasonable now).

2.Spend a lot more money on an official import from a main dealer (around 800k for an R1, CBR1000RR etc) but still parts aren't held locally.

3.Get something like a er6n, it's cheap and convenient but the sacrifice is that the bike's not as good.

I wouldn't hold out too long waiting for something like a CBR600RR without import duty, with parts readily available at the Thai main dealer. Not gonna happen in the next 5 years IMO. You've just got to suck it up and take the choice.

1.Spend more money than you'd like to on an import from someone like RedBaron (second hand ones are getting more reasonable now).

2.Spend a lot more money on an official import from a main dealer (around 800k for an R1, CBR1000RR etc) but still parts aren't held locally.

3.Get something like a er6n, it's cheap and convenient but the sacrifice is that the bike's not as good.

if you could live with a z1000 for 590k its a big saving over an r1 etc for 800k

sometimes i wonder how much bike is actually required for thai roads ,the chance to light up an r1 doesnt present itself very often

im probably better off staying around 650cc or maybe a 600 ss because i couldnt utilise much more performance anyway 95% of the time i use it

the 2011/12 hayabusa is here at suzuki showrom for 799k or there abouts and the new gsxr is coming or maybe here already but can you ride bikes like that safely

anywhere near their full potential besides a race track ......i couldnt anyway