Where To Bay A Norton Cafe Racer Tank In Thailand?

dagling

Have been thinking of building me a Cafe racer out of a Yamaha SR400 or SR500. Have been looking around on the net here in Thailand looking for the right tank, my personal favorite tank for a Cafe Racer is a Norton tank (see picture).

Is there anyone who sells such a tank here in Thailand, or shops that specialize in the construction of the Cafe Racers?

If it exists, any idea what it costs?

post-84957-0-53508300-1331725226_thumb.j

I had this tank built for a cafe style bike based on a Honda GB400, cost was about THB 4000-5000.

Most bike shops that do major rebuilds will be able to organise one for you.

post-70604-0-56641700-1331729453_thumb.j

post-70604-0-12624400-1331729431_thumb.j

Really nice tank. Can you give me a link or a phone number? Where did you have it built?

I had this tank built for a cafe style bike based on a Honda GB400, cost was about THB 4000-5000.

Most bike shops that do major rebuilds will be able to organise one for you.

post-70604-0-56641700-1331729453_thumb.j

post-70604-0-12624400-1331729431_thumb.j

Really nice tank. Can you give me a link or a phone number? Where did you have it built?

The mechanic i use is in Pattaya (behind Naklua). He does good panel work himself, but gave this to someone else to do and it took about 6 months! I had to send it back twice as wasn't happy with the shape, as i wanted it more round rather than the usual flat style tank. I'll PM you his phone number but not sure if he'd want to do it and they really need the bike to make sure the tank fits properly.

It took about 1 1/2 years to get the bike modded and rebuilt; way too long. Over the last couple of years there have been some cafe racer style bikes come up for sale, so maybe best to wait and pick one up for cheaper than you can do!

post-70604-0-70438500-1331736207_thumb.j

post-70604-0-52288300-1331736229_thumb.j

Edited by taichiplanet

6 months to make a tank???

Ok, I will ask again then: Is there anyone who sells such a tank here in Thailand, or shops that specialize in the construction of the Cafe Racers?

Apparently the guy was really really busy!! But it shouldn't take that long. As i said, just look around around for bike workshops that do rebuilds and they should be able to organise a tank for you if you give a couple of photos showing what you want. There was a guy in Pattaya that used to run ads on Thaivisa that did alloy panels, don't know if he is still around; name given was Aurelio taliento 0813403184

Or better yet, wait for a bike that has already been done and also has a green book; ocassionally you will see a cafe racer style SR400 come up for sale.

Edited by taichiplanet

New Norton tanks for the Yamaha SR go for around 16.000Baht. If you go to http://www.srthailand.com/forums/index.php?board=7.0 , you'll find plenty of shops and private sellers offering them. Here you'll also find any immaginable custom part for your project.

This is my favourite shop: http://www.srthailand.com/forums/index.php?topic=8834.0 I regularly buy stuff there. If you need help, let me know. I probably can get it at a discount.

A cheaper alternative would be a fiberglass shell that goes over the original tank...should be around 5-6.000, but I'm not sure.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi folks, I need, not a tank, but a heat shield for the aftermarket muffler I had fitted to the bike. All I want is for a machine shop to mill VTX logo into the surface, have the steel rolled to the right diameter, half a dozen wire tabs braized to the muffler side and have it chromed.

It's not a hard job, but the machinest, in Pattaya, I asked to do it said no!

Any tips?