Late-Year Teenagers & Those In Their 20'S : What Are They Doing?

seaeagle

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think any 50/50 kids are normally taken back to the country of origin of the father due to the fact he cant afford to raise kids here as well as susidise an Issan family at 10-20K a month

If anyone is supporting an Isaan family at the expense of the needs of their own family then they need their head tested. And I very much doubt it's as prevalent as you believe.

70,000 baht per month is good money for a Thai. What would they be paid, doing the same job, in the west???? Oh, that's right, they can't do the same job in the west because they have a Thai education and a degree from a Thai uni that isn't recognised in the west.

Please specify 'west' and where a Thai uni degree is not recognised? And also a source please for that 'not recognised in the west'.

A few far more plausible reasons for them not working in the west are that they don't want to work there, and that the labour markets in 'the west' are very, very restricted. Nearly impossible for a Thai to get into any of the countries in 'the west', let alone work there with the exception of the jobs the 'western' labour force does not want to do anymore. And even those jobs are very difficult to come by (legally) for anybody not 'western'.

A quick google search revealed these links, both on the first page. Scroll down to "Thailand" and scroll down to "Economic."

http://85.92.87.111/...parability.html

http://en.wikipedia....i/Western_world

Thanks, so recognised.

BIS is over 300k per year. Well over 300k, as they nickel and dime you to death.

I would take Head start over BIS myself. Find BIS way to pretentious. PIA stands head and shoulders above the rest in my opinion.

How much is PIA a year?

Has your Google button broken? tongue.png

http://www.thanyapur...Fee_2011_12.pdf

If you hadn't seen BIS before I can only assume you haven't seen the PIA. Check it out and then tell me how you think it compares to the average school in the UK!!

Edited by HongKongPhooey

To take Bangkok as an example. I know of a 100% farang who went to a very well respected international school from the age of 8, went to university in UK, came back to Thailand and now teaches English at primary school level. I know of other farangs who were involved in exchange program and have returned to their home countries or take teaching jobs here.

After education to enter the job market in Thailand one has to be fluent in Thai language and be aware of the Thai social structure. OR they have to have the right family and the right family naame. The problem with international schools is that they coach kids towards international jobs and unless they have the right name and the right family students will find it very difficult to succeed in Thailand. Kids that have farang or lower caste Thai parents will struggle to find opportunites here.

My kids are half-Thai, go to a small private primary Thai school in Bangkok. Then we hope they continue to get the grades they are getting to enter the top classes of a respected government school, or a Singaporean school. Hopefully they can make the right friendships with the right kids along the way.

This is pretty much as I suspected.

As for teaching english, it's sad that a well educated, degree qualified, young adult, is doing the work that any backpacker could do with a 1 month TESOL or TEFL Course. Pay is anywhere from 30,000 to 40,000 baht per month. Ok money here, but nothing by western standards. I would say, that as an adult, it's their decision as to where and what they do, so, now out of the control of the parents.

On Phuket, the high paying jobs go to the members of the 10 families who control Phuket. There is really no getting around that. As you have stated, the rest of Thailand is the same.

GeekFreakLover, can I ask, where do you see your kids in 10 or 15 years time? The questions are pretty much the same I put to HKP in the other thread.

1) will they be born, raised, educated, live, work and die in Thailand?

2) will they be born, raised, educated in Thailand until 18 then go to a uni in the west and then live and work in your home country?

3) will they be born, raised, educated in Thailand until 18 then go to a uni in the west and then come back to Thailand to live and work?

4) will they be born, raised, educated in Thailand until 18 and then you will set them up in a business?

5) Will you move back to your home country if/when they go to uni there?

6) after they finish uni, if they decide to live and work in your home country, will you stay there or come back to Phuket/Thailand.

Hi,

Number 3) seems best at the moment, but once they complete their education they have their own free will. I think that Japan and china will continue using Thailand has a cheap place to manufacture. I'm not overlooking the importance of them learning Japanese and mandarin. The Singapore international school in Bangkok looks like it has a good language department.

Some Bangkok govenrment schools, Bodin, Chula, Samsen, are fine if the students are put in the high classes.

University in England would be nice as there grandparents are there and higher education is solid in the UK. If they want to remain in the UK and try to find work (good luck with that!), return to Bangkok or look else where, will be a bridge to cross at the time.

There seems to be more opportunities in the east with a western higher education, and, as I mention with the Thai social and language skills that can be deveopled at a non-international school.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

Obviously, a degree from a university like this one in Thailand http://www.au.edu/ is internationally recognised. However, you will find many public Thai Universities are not internationally accredited, therefore, a degree from those universities is not worth much, outside of Thailand.

Similarly, an education at a school such as this one http://www.shrewsbur.../home/home.html is also recognised in order to gain admission to a university abroad. However, you will find an education from a public Thai school will not be recognised for overseas university admission. Of course, as mentioned previously, you can "pay up front" to get your child into university in certain countries.

I would hate to think of the cost of sending a child to either one of the above, but there are many wealthy people on Phuket, so, good luck to them.

I guess it would be up to the parents to make a judgement call on whether to send their kid/s to either a fully accredited, or a non-accredited school here. I do not have young children here, so, I do not know if the various International Schools on Phuket are actually internationally accredited and administering an accredited foreign cirriculum, or not.

Yes the British International School does offer the IB diploma which is recognized by universities around the world. (I just copied and pasted the info from there website)

At BIS in 2010

• 38 students undertook the IB Diploma, 35 passed the Diploma successfully.
  • Average points obtained was 32 out of a total of 45
  • Average grade obtained was 5 out of 7
  • Highest Diploma points was 43

Didn't even know there was a British International School on Phuket. Just googled it and was impressed with what's on their website. If I had young kids on Phuket, I would have no problem sending them there, based on the information on their website.

http://www.bisphuket.ac.th/

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much a year it is to send a child there?

A particular part of their website to take note of is the "Tertiary Desinations" section. It states which countries the graduates of Class 2011 are going to for university.

20k~ usd per year for a 3year old

dont wanna know how much for a 16

also 38 went for the international competency test out of how many hundred? the school is massive.

BIS is over 300k per year. Well over 300k, as they nickel and dime you to death.

I would take Head start over BIS myself. Find BIS way to pretentious. PIA stands head and shoulders above the rest in my opinion.

How much is PIA a year?

If you hadn't seen BIS before I can only assume you haven't seen the PIA. Check it out and then tell me how you think it compares to the average school in the UK!!

I don't have young kids on Phuket, so, have never needed to do any research on this topic. I'm not from the UK. I'm sure the UK have some "rough" schools, and some very prestigious schools, and a lot of schools in between. The same as my home country. As I said in another post, your financial position and your geographical location in the UK would govern which school parents would send their kids to.

I had a look at both websites. Facilities look good. Staff appear well qualified. Do you have any idea on class sizes?

How much is PIA a year?

I don't have young kids on Phuket, so, have never needed to do any research on this topic. I'm not from the UK. I'm sure the UK have some "rough" schools, and some very prestigious schools, and a lot of schools in between. The same as my home country. As I said in another post, your financial position and your geographical location in the UK would govern which school parents would send their kids to.

I had a look at both websites. Facilities look good. Staff appear well qualified. Do you have any idea on class sizes?

Edit, too many quotes to include above as quotes.

Google is your friend. Look it up and you'll find your answers which work out to be on par with most int'l schools around the world. Believe it or not, there's a decent choice of international schools here with credentials that are recognized worldwide and will get a child into any country or uni provided they tested well and the parents can pay the fees.

Edited by steelepulse

Ok, so, most on TV agree that one of the decent International Schools on Phuket is where their 50/50 kids should go, if parents can afford to send their kids there. I totally agree, and for the reasons I have set out previously, mainly, the schools accreditation would allow them enterance into either an International University in Thailand, or a university anywhere in the west.

For me, a problem still exists when they finish school and/or univerisity or a trade in the west. Their job prospects here are minimal and their earning capacity diminished.

HKP has stated he would support his kids in anything they chose, as any parent would do, however, to pay big money for an

International School education and then a university here, or in the west, or sending your kid home, fully funded, to be trained in a trade, just to see them come back to Phuket as an English teacher or dive instructor, for me, would not be a desirable outcome and the best use of their education. Sure, a great lifestyle, but is it a serious long term career?

So, the question still exists, and we haven't heard from any parents, or 50/50 adults, about what they are doing, what REAL career opportunities, or decent long term employment opportunities, exist here for a 50/50 uni graduate or a kid who is western trade qualified, and what sort of salary would they be earning?

NOTE: I have not speculated on what industries may be expanding, or shrinking here, in 10 to 15 years time, or any discrimination that may occur in the workplace against someone who is 50/50.

Edited by NamKangMan

It would also be worth adding that the International Baccalaureate that your children could achieve is valued in universities worldwide unlike A levels from the UK education system which are very limited in where they can be used. Also BIS is now the only school on the island that is now giving international GCSE's so I am told.

Maybe it would be better to have teenagers achieve an IB here than the qualification they would achieve in the UK?

Edited by Peterocket

Ok, so, most on TV agree that one of the decent International Schools on Phuket is where their 50/50 kids should go, if parents can afford to send their kids there. I totally agree, and for the reasons I have set out previously, mainly, the schools accreditation would allow them enterance into either an International University in Thailand, or a university anywhere in the west.

Clarify please. Do you mean "Ok, so, most on TV agree that British International School on Phuket is where their 50/50 kids should go, if parents can afford to send their kids there. I totally agree, and for the reasons I have set out previously, mainly, the school's accreditation would allow them enterance into either an International University in Thailand, or a university anywhere in the west."; or:

"Ok, so, most on TV agree that one of the decent international schools on Phuket is where their 50/50 kids should go, if parents can afford to send their kids there. I totally agree, and for the reasons I have set out previously, mainly, the schools' accreditations would allow them enterance into either an International University in Thailand, or a university anywhere in the west."

Edited by stevenl

70,000 baht per month is good money for a Thai. What would they be paid, doing the same job, in the west???? Oh, that's right, they can't do the same job in the west because they have a Thai education and a degree from a Thai uni that isn't recognised in the west.

Please specify 'west' and where a Thai uni degree is not recognised? And also a source please for that 'not recognised in the west'.

A few far more plausible reasons for them not working in the west are that they don't want to work there, and that the labour markets in 'the west' are very, very restricted. Nearly impossible for a Thai to get into any of the countries in 'the west', let alone work there with the exception of the jobs the 'western' labour force does not want to do anymore. And even those jobs are very difficult to come by (legally) for anybody not 'western'.

clap2.gif

I thought we were discussing expat children ?? Or at least 50/50 ??

So they would have citizenship and legal right to work... No restrictions.

Any mixed parentage kid with Thai nationality who is fully fluent in Thai plus one other language, should be able to find an at least 15.000 Baht a month (for starters) job at a tour agency, hotel, lawyers office or whatever other business which involves foreigners. They might have better prospects here than say in the European Union with its declining economy.

500 USD.. 300 GBP..

Thats a per day salary requirement not per month !!

Just because you may have done well for yourself, it's a bit pointless putting your personal aspirations in to a thread like this! How many people let alone young adults earn £300 per day?

For your input to be of any benefit it needs to be realistic. Are you telling people they shouldn't raise kids in Phuket, because if they raise them in the UK they will be earning over 60K per year at a young age?

Really .. You think 300 per day is an impossible dream income ??

Sure its decent, but not overly so.. Try living in London on less.. Your suggesting it should be a monthly salary to be happy with !!

Now if I had said 3k a day then sure, it would be only a very VERY small per cent.. But still not impossible.

Edited by LivinLOS

For me, a problem still exists when they finish school and/or univerisity or a trade in the west. Their job prospects here are minimal and their earning capacity diminished.

HKP has stated he would support his kids in anything they chose, as any parent would do, however, to pay big money for an

International School education and then a university here, or in the west, or sending your kid home, fully funded, to be trained in a trade, just to see them come back to Phuket as an English teacher or dive instructor, for me, would not be a desirable outcome and the best use of their education. Sure, a great lifestyle, but is it a serious long term career?

So, the question still exists, and we haven't heard from any parents, or 50/50 adults, about what they are doing, what REAL career opportunities, or decent long term employment opportunities, exist here for a 50/50 uni graduate or a kid who is western trade qualified, and what sort of salary would they be earning?

NOTE: I have not speculated on what industries may be expanding, or shrinking here, in 10 to 15 years time, or any discrimination that may occur in the workplace against someone who is 50/50.

This is my point (perhaps made in the other thread) there IS schooling here, sure it costs some money but not a great deal in the scheme of things..

However the issue of the kind of 'elite' social strata they may run with hasnt been touched. The spoiled rich Thais (the kind who run BMW's into bus stops of people, or illegally drive new Hondas into a mini bus on an overpass.. You I am sure know the kind I mean) have a seriously high ego content and a lack of consequence to their lives. We can all hope to raise kids to be better than that, but it has to be said that growing up in that social set will have a formative aspect on them.

But my main point was, outside of education.. What does a young expat kid, or a Luk Krung, do aside from try to make TV commercials ?? I have met a few, decent enough young kids, but I dont see the prospects for them. Theres little entrepreneurship possible, little in the way of 'learning to earn' as all lower end jobs are taken for the kind of salaries that wouldnt make any point doing. They will always be trapped to a low rung on the local ladder.

I thought the other thread was about children's schooling and growing up in Phuket.

I presumed this one was about young adults and what they are doing now, work and socially?

EDIT: Livinlos posted essentially the same thing at the same time.

Edited by Old Croc

I thought we were discussing expat children ?? Or at least 50/50 ??

So they would have citizenship and legal right to work... No restrictions.

Read the original post, the reference here was to Thai workers.

This is my point (perhaps made in the other thread) there IS schooling here, sure it costs some money but not a great deal in the scheme of things..

However the issue of the kind of 'elite' social strata they may run with hasnt been touched. The spoiled rich Thais (the kind who run BMW's into bus stops of people, or illegally drive new Hondas into a mini bus on an overpass.. You I am sure know the kind I mean) have a seriously high ego content and a lack of consequence to their lives. We can all hope to raise kids to be better than that, but it has to be said that growing up in that social set will have a formative aspect on them.

But my main point was, outside of education.. What does a young expat kid, or a Luk Krung, do aside from try to make TV commercials ?? I have met a few, decent enough young kids, but I dont see the prospects for them. Theres little entrepreneurship possible, little in the way of 'learning to earn' as all lower end jobs are taken for the kind of salaries that wouldnt make any point doing. They will always be trapped to a low rung on the local ladder.

And that is the same back home.

For schooling/work kids will go elsewhere, and every society, whether it be a small rural town or a big city, has it's social problems for a kid, just as Phuket has, as Bangkok will have, etc. So the situation for kids will be the same: good parents will prepare them and can only hope things work out ok, both socially and educationally. And whereever they go they will experience problems, their own unique sets of problems.

Edited by stevenl

lol

seriously?

Every society has social problems? maybe. But not many society have a problem where students from different school try to KILL each other on a daily basis.

Don't partially quote, against forum etiquette to leave out an important part of a sentence.

lol

seriously?

Every society has social problems? maybe. But not many society have a problem where students from different school try to KILL each other on a daily basis.

Can you quote any news source to corroborate that claim. Sure there a youth gang killings, but inter school violence/killings - I've never read that... ??

>>However the issue of the kind of 'elite' social strata they may run with hasnt been touched. The spoiled rich Thais

I've met quite a few of these that went overseas to University and have come back with a new view of the world and they have not shown any of the rich elite status characteristic traits of those that don't go overseas or as mentioned above by Livininlos. Sending the kids abroad is a good real life experience. The same can be said for rich spoiled kids from other countries I've met.

And that is the same back home.

Well here we agree to disagree..

In the west theres scores of ways a kid can be encouraged to earn to their hobbys and interests, from the classic paper round, to yard work, to odd jobs, to cleaning peoples cars, etc etc etc Just 10's of things a young teen can do.. Late teens have also a wide wide range of part time, low paying but formative jobs available to them, thats outside of a the barter, buy and sell, economy I mentioned before. These kind of things teach a young person valuable skills, ones that are not classroom taught. The kind of firm handshake always look em in the eye type of skills that make a man.

It also gives a young adult confidence, gets them standing up on their own, stops them thinking money is something that comes from daddy, That first tenner you make as a kid is the sweetest 10'er you ever held.. Getting out, hitch hiking to a car auction, hustling with the pro car dealers, and driving home with a banger to sell were some of my great life lessons. Can you imagine an expat kid hitch hiking anywhere ?? Its just a different social bubble, fine fo those of us who have already had a bit of struggle and made a nest egg, but depriving them of that is IMO selling them short.

These are just opinions.. Mines no more right or wrong than anyone elses... But if I had kids, that desire for them to grow up in a society which will treat them as equals, not have them as outsiders, would be my primary thought. I dont mind being an outsider as an adult, but would have been a very different person having been one as a youth.

lol

seriously?

Can you quote any news source to corroborate that claim. Sure there a youth gang killings, but inter school violence/killings - I've never read that... ??

Havent you ?? Inter school (college) violence is not an uncommon theme in Thailand.

Just did the news sources. That kid shot on the bus, gang fights, very much a theme but no worse than a day at the football.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/491629-thai-schools-will-face-shutdown-over-student-brawls/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/394997-boy-aged-9-killed-in-bangkok-school-gang-shooting/page__st__75

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/468674-3-thai-students-hurt-in-bomb-attack-by-rival-school/

Edited by LivinLOS

lol

seriously?

Havent you ?? Inter school (college) violence is not an uncommon theme in Thailand.

Just did the news sources. That kid shot on the bus, gang fights, very much a theme but no worse than a day at the football.

We were talking Phuket here. Or do you want to talk about the campus shootings, youth gang killings in the US as well? And what is the connection between gang fights and students from different schools trying to kill eachother? Judging from the news it is all turf related, not school related (they seem to be hanging around in stead of going to school).

Edited by stevenl

lol

seriously?

We were talking Phuket here. Or do you want to talk about the campus shootings, youth gang killings in the US as well? And what is the connection between gang fights and students from different schools trying to kill eachother? Judging from the news it is all turf related, not school related (they seem to be hanging around in stead of going to school).

Agreed on all points.. tho lobbing bombs onto a bus load of kids might actually be worse than a day at the football, well as long as its not a man city game..

But this inter school violence is hardly unheard of, hence surprised that LivinginKata hadnt heard of it before.

Agreed on all points.. tho lobbing bombs onto a bus load of kids might actually be worse than a day at the football, well as long as its not a man city game..

But this inter school violence is hardly unheard of, hence surprised that LivinginKata hadnt heard of it before.

Yes, I thought as this thread is in the Phuket forum then we were talking about Phuket school killings. Please show me a source for Phuket related school killings.

No Phuket doesnt seem to have enough different schools to provide an 'enemy'.. Tho didnt some school gang fight have one guy chop anothers hand off with a sword in Phuket town ??

But the quote everyone responded to was discussing 'a society' that has inter school bombings, and Thai society does, Yet everyone seemed to claim its a total shock.

Ever been to a morlam concert up north ?? Its like a running battle, bottles flying, guys staggering about bloody, maybe just the kind of rural entertainment options. Tho have to say kept me tense enough and didnt make me feel like going again.

Edited by LivinLOS

No mention on if it was bike gangs or college gangs or what.. Boys will be boys..

Gangs war with ‘swords’ at Saphan Hin

Phuket Gazette – Thursday, December 6, 2007 5:51:00 PM

SAPHAN HIN: Two gangs each of about 40 teenagers battled with long-bladed weapons, reported as swords, at Saphan Hin about 1 am on Sunday.

In the melee, a 16-year-old died after being struck down while riding his motorbike and a member of the same gang fled his attackers by jumping into Klong Bangyai, but with his right hand severed and his right ear nearly completely cut off.

Phuket City Police Investigator Lt Somchai Nuboon identified the dead youngster as Witthawat Pongsakote, 16. He was on a motorcycle trying to escape a rival gang when he was attacked and fell off his motorbike near Pramahachanok Bridge, across the road from Phuket Vocational College.

Critically wounded to the head, back and arms, he was rushed to Vachira Phuket Hospital, where he died of blood loss.

A member of the same gang, Somboon Namkaew, 28, was also set upon. He managed to escape his attackers by jumping into Klong Bangyai, from which he was later lifted with great difficulty by Kusoldham Foundation rescue workers.

Somboon’s right hand was severed and his right ear was almost completely cut off. He is now being treated at Vachira Phuket Hospital, where he has been listed as “out of danger” by staff, Lt Somchai said.

“We already questioned Somboon’s fellow gang members and we know the identity of his attackers, who are members of an enemy gang,” he added.