Strange Thing Happened At Swampy

scorpio

We, me and a friend recently landed at bkk, we exited immagration and to avoid paying 1,500 to the taxi operators downstairs we walked up to departure hall then walked out onto road and hailed a taxi, we were putting our bags into boot of taxi when suddenly three guys wearing neck ID cards stopped us, took out a video camera, videod our faces, our passports the car number plate, the drivers licence etc, freaked my mate out a bit as it was his first time, i asked them who they wrre and to stop videoing us, they told us they were security. Maybe this is to stop taxi,s picking up passengers seeking the cheaper 1,000 baht fares upstairs ?

Has anyone else expirienced this ? must admit it freaked me out too, i was expecting them to pull drugs or something out and say we were being arrested.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Instead of playing the cheap charlie by looking for a probably outdated taximeter on the departurer levels for 1000 Baht,you could have booked a limousine from Mr T in Pattaya to pick you up for the same price.

Edited by pipo1000

What happened after that? Were you able to just take the taxi and go or was the driver fined and you had to find alternative transport? I have never heard of that happening and I always grab a taxi from departures when going to Bangkok as the drivers seem grateful they don't have to line up and wait for a customer.

The outcome was we eventually were allowed to go in the said taxi, taxi driver mumbled something about thai mafia, think he was saying that the booths downstairs were maybe controlled by the taxi mafia.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Makes sense. Prob just the taxi mafia trying to scare you guys off by taking your pictures and such. If you were really breaking rules and they could enforce them then you'd think they wouldn't have even let you get in the taxi.

Glad it worked out. I'm sure it gave your first time visiting friends a good scare. Welcome to Thailand.. LOS

• Like 1

I just hope these guys who videod us were genuine and we were not being set up for something in years or months to come, not that i would be as stupid to ever break laws in thailand, i think on hindsight it was taxi mafia trying to scare us and the driver not to poach taxis from upstairs and to use the downstairs booths, though i like to get a cheaper taxi who doesnt im not exactly minted. The taxi driver who was originally going to take us was taken out of the taxi and swapped with a different driver, for what i dont know, next time i,ll get bell bus to pattaya from swampy, i hear its only 250 baht, suits me fine :-)

I just hope these guys who videod us were genuine and we were not being set up for something in years or months to come, not that i would be as stupid to ever break laws in thailand, i think on hindsight it was taxi mafia trying to scare us and the driver not to poach taxis from upstairs and to use the downstairs booths, though i like to get a cheaper taxi who doesnt im not exactly minted. The taxi driver who was originally going to take us was taken out of the taxi and swapped with a different driver, for what i dont know, next time i,ll get bell bus to pattaya from swampy, i hear its only 250 baht, suits me fine :-)

Actually after looking at the website it's only 200thb per trip from airport/pattaya

Never had anything like that happen, and I take taxis from the arrivals area at least a couple of times each month. Sometimes there are traffic cops standing right there, and they apparently don't care. I sort of feel good about using those taxis in terms of carbon footprint, as well as supporting independent taxis, since otherwise they would be dead-heading back out of the airport without a fare. Never had one refuse to use the meter, either.

Never had anything like that happen, and I take taxis from the arrivals area at least a couple of times each month. Sometimes there are traffic cops standing right there, and they apparently don't care. I sort of feel good about using those taxis in terms of carbon footprint, as well as supporting independent taxis, since otherwise they would be dead-heading back out of the airport without a fare. Never had one refuse to use the meter, either.

Sorry, I meant the DEPARTURES area.

Of course it wasn't the freakin mafia - the mafia don't wear ID cards.

Look, it's very very simple. The Airport Authority gains revenue (50baht) from the taxi drivers who go through the proper channels and use the booths. That is why you are very clearly told down at the booths that it's 50baht extra, plus any tolls. This is pretty consistent everywhere around the world. Airports charge a levy to taxi drivers on the basis that they provide a regular and easy stream of customers. Taxis then oncharge this to the passenger. All very kosher.

By going upstairs and circumventing the system you are depriving the Airport of revenue. Nothing wrong with that - well done. Ýou're doing nothing illegal.

However, these guys will be monitoring the situation and taking evidence of people who are bending the rules - that is why they took the Taxi licence number and, presumably, why they video-taped it. It's evidence. I would imagine the Airport is trying to deter the practice, and maybe trying to toughen up their processes with a view to banning the taxi drivers who pick up passengers on the third floor.

That is also why there are security up there who try to shoo the taxis away, after dropping off passengers at departures.

Honestly, some people will see conspiracy in the most innocent and normal of circumstances.
  • Like 1

Upon arrival at Swampy I always go to where people are getting out of the taxis to go to Departures, no way am I paying extra for a taxi downstairs.

It is 50 baht. Say that again to yourself. Then think how ridiculous it sounds to say no way will you pay that in the official taxi queue (which I have used countless times and never had a problem with).

It is 50 baht. One English pound.

Unbelievable.

+1

Upon arrival at Swampy I always go to where people are getting out of the taxis to go to Departures, no way am I paying extra for a taxi downstairs.

It is 50 baht. Say that again to yourself. Then think how ridiculous it sounds to say no way will you pay that in the official taxi queue (which I have used countless times and never had a problem with).

Unbelievable.

The 50thb extra charge is just what the airport gets out of it. The taxis that have to spend time in a que downstairs will charge you more for the fare than the taxi that is just pulling up to drop off a customer upstairs. He hasn't just wasted a bunch of his time in a que to pick up 1 magical customer.

But if saving money is not so important to you, you can pay for a nice ride from the folks inside the airport without even queing up and they will take your bags to the car for you.

To each his own.

Unbelievable.

The 50thb extra charge is just what the airport gets out of it. The taxis that have to spend time in a que downstairs will charge you more for the fare than the taxi that is just pulling up to drop off a customer upstairs. He hasn't just wasted a bunch of his time in a que to pick up 1 magical customer.

But if saving money is not so important to you, you can pay for a nice ride from the folks inside the airport without even queing up and they will take your bags to the car for you.

To each his own.

Not in my experience. Apart from the 50 baht airport fee, it's the normal meter price, plus tolls.

Unbelievable.

To each his own.

Not in my experience. Apart from the 50 baht airport fee, it's the normal meter price, plus tolls.

Maybe for some locations.. but for those going to say Pattaya, I have never once had them use the meter.

I did this one time and also had security stop the cab. I'm guessing he paid some money and then we could leave. I've only done taxi meters from the airport. If going to Pattaya, I arrange something in advance. Great price and they are standing there waiting for you.

....since otherwise they would be dead-heading back out of the airport without a fare. ...

They don't. They loop around and get in the queue downstairs. Taxi drivers are generally lazy sods and the airport run gives them a decent 2-way fare and time for a nap. If it wasn't a money maker for them, taxi's would be unwilling to take fares to the airport.

• Like 1

I don't get all the paranoia about the taxi booths and their taxis- i come in and out of Swampy 2-3 times per month and always use the taxi booth system, never had any problems at all.

I used to think the same, but the last 2 times I took a taxi from Swampy to the Asoke area, the meters were definitely rigged. It's a 220-250 baht ride, but these meters came in at 400 and 450 baht- and traffic wasn't anywhere near bad enough to explain the discrepancy.

Do you mean there is no way you will pay the extra 50 baht?

Edited by MeMock

Maybe for some locations.. but for those going to say Pattaya, I have never once had them use the meter.

Ah, OK. I was thinking about trips into the city.

Trips to the city are the same price down stairs or upstairs apart from the official 50 baht fee. They both use the metre so no problems.

Everyone seems to assume the taxis are on a Bangkok-airport-Bangkok run. In my case I live near Bang Bua Thong, taxis refuse to take me, either they don't know the way or feel they will not get a return fare. Some offer to take me for the cost of a return journey. So do I take a taxi from the airport to Bangkok and then Bangkok to Bang Bua Thong, nearly three times the distance? I know the system so phone for a Bang Bua Thong taxi, how do others manage?

....since otherwise they would be dead-heading back out of the airport without a fare. ...

They don't. They loop around and get in the queue downstairs. Taxi drivers are generally lazy sods and the airport run gives them a decent 2-way fare and time for a nap. If it wasn't a money maker for them, taxi's would be unwilling to take fares to the airport.

how can you say that taxis are lazy sods? its incredible to read such nonsense ... my wife's uncle is a cabbie and works everyday ( thats right 7 days a week, starting at 7 am till 7 PM ).... he's the bread winner for his familly and borders on nervous breakdown when his cab get immobilized for repairs ... and 90% of cabbies in bangkok fit this description.