Is Beach Front Living Too Dangerous?

JMG

As an expat working and living in South East Asia for many years and generally being stuck in congested cities most of the time, I take every opportunity to escape regularly to Phuket and Koh Samui where I always stay in secure villas. Lately I was thinking about spending some time in beach front bungalow style accommodation offered by smaller resort operators but with low season close and traffic reducing is it the view of long time foreigners living in Thailand that perhaps it’s best not to take the risk due to the increasing level of violent robbery taking place against foreigners by local Thai islanders. All I read about lately is how Police capture locals who committed break-in, stabbing and theft and the reason for the crime is due to a need to get money for drug habits. Punishment of the offenders is never publicised which suggests there is no real deterrent. Anyone got a view about beach front accommodation and risk?

It is a problem, no question, livning in Phuket for four years we were burgled three times, all opportunistic break ins at 4/5 am by very skillful climbers but amateur thieves, just about all of our eighteen niegbours were also burgled at least once in that time. One of the problems seems to be living in farang enclaves which are seen as rich pickings by the locals, even if the farangs who live there are not that wealthy. Another problem is the number of construction camps around the island that contain a lot of transient and often opportunistic Burmese laborers. There's no good answer I'm afraid other than to turn your home into a fortress and that's not exactly desirable since it detracts from the whole idea of living on a tropical island and all that entails.

It is a problem, no question, livning in Phuket for four years we were burgled three times, all opportunistic break ins at 4/5 am by very skillful climbers but amateur thieves, just about all of our eighteen niegbours were also burgled at least once in that time. One of the problems seems to be living in farang enclaves which are seen as rich pickings by the locals, even if the farangs who live there are not that wealthy. Another problem is the number of construction camps around the island that contain a lot of transient and often opportunistic Burmese laborers. There's no good answer I'm afraid other than to turn your home into a fortress and that's not exactly desirable since it detracts from the whole idea of living on a tropical island and all that entails.

Thanks for sharing your experience and unfortunately it confirms what I was thinking which is to stay within the boundaries of expensive compounds. It’s a real disappointment not being able to stay safely in bungalows in stunning locations and essentially it's a shame having to abandon the idea of retiring in Thailand.

I guess it depends on where you live. Unlike poster chiang mai, we've never been burgled nor have any of our neighbours here in Phuket. I guess the burglers think there's probably easier places to break into. Of course it helps that most in the neighbourhood have security type barks coming from their homes when an unrecognizable sound/smell enters the area. BTW, we live in the area that the OP was asking about, not mid island or inland.

Seems to me the touristy areas have the highest crime rate. If you are heading for beach bungalow resort type places off the beaten track then I think you would be safer. We do this often; get the gps out and take off on in the pickup. We never have anything expensive with us (apart from the pickup/cameras/smartphones/etc). As for buying expensive/exclusive property in Thailand: I think that instantly sets you as a target for crime. I would always maintain a low profile. As for retiring in Thailand: I will stick with the UK and travel instead. Been in Thailand too long to ever want to settle here permanently. Kids keep drawing me back, but the more you see 'under the hood' I think the more you don't want to settle here. Anyway there is too many other interesting places in the world to go?

The beach area in any part of the world--not just Thailand--kind of brings out more weirdos and can be annoying. Like back in the day when I was still in school, me and my best friend got a place in Santa Monica (Los Angeles) right by the beach. What we learned is that the homeless who live near the beach just started wandering our neighborhood constantly, digging through trash. There was constantly no place to park because everyone going to the beach was looking for a spot. That people hung out at the beach late at all times of night and liked to make noise.

I would add that I never want to live by the beach because everything gets so corroded quickly, I don't like sticky, salty air and would not want to put up with bad weather coming off the sea (it does happen; high winds, etc). This is the reality of living by the sea. Thus I wouldn't want to live so close to the coast. Ideal would 3/4 km inland. You can always jump on your bike and go to the beach.

Seems to me the touristy areas have the highest crime rate. If you are heading for beach bungalow resort type places off the beaten track then I think you would be safer. We do this often; get the gps out and take off on in the pickup. We never have anything expensive with us (apart from the pickup/cameras/smartphones/etc). As for buying expensive/exclusive property in Thailand: I think that instantly sets you as a target for crime. I would always maintain a low profile. As for retiring in Thailand: I will stick with the UK and travel instead. Been in Thailand too long to ever want to settle here permanently. Kids keep drawing me back, but the more you see 'under the hood' I think the more you don't want to settle here. Anyway there is too many other interesting places in the world to go?

After 15 years of visiting Thailand I tend to agree with you and I've never changed my opinion after staying for the best 5 months of the year.

There is no question that thieves are lazy and tend to target areas with easiest access close to populated areas. Or, they travel around looking for un occupied homes. A yappy little dog is probably your best protection if it is kept inside at night. The ones left outside tend to yap at everything and after a while you ingnore their barking.

The idea of staying leisurely in beach bungalows across Thailand for a few months is fading as a good idea. Having over the years always stayed in resorts and villas within gated secure communities, it was the aim to spend time in more traditional bungalows like at Ao Sene Beach (about 1Km to the back of Royal Phuket Yacht Club Resort), and those on Kata Hill about 100m to the back of the Aspasia and also the bungalows opposite Laem Nan headland at the northern end of Lamai Beach Samui. Unfortunately robbery has become too common place and now seems synonymous with violence and fatality’s.