Nissan Almera

Got my new Almera this week. Up where I am we need to order the cars since the flood. Toyota said I would need to wait a month or more bwfore I could get a Vios,Honda said 4 months wait for a Honda. I ordered from Nissan got it in 9 days.

I think it was great deal too. Automatic transmission,3 years roadside assistance,lots of leg room,big trunk,better interior than other brands in my opinion.The engine even stops when I am idling at a stop with the brake on,this is supposed to be a gas saver.

I am now promoting this car all around town, I got all this for 505,000 baht including insurance. Honda City starts at 559,000,if you want automatic you are looking at 599,000 to start. Vios is 514,000 to start and is no way near the same caliber of car.

This car has sold me on Nissan. I will take the steep depreciation to ride in a better car. These are the Buicks of Thailand.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nissan depreciates the most,more than others such as Toyota and Honda.First year for a Nissan depreciation is the highest. Just like a Buick was.great car,great,ride,lots of extras, but depreciated the fastest. Used ones were hard to find but cheap.

Edited by lovelomsak

Not sure where you're getting your info from smile.png

At two years old, the Nissan March has depreciated by only 12-17% - which makes it a little better than the Jazz, better than the Yaris, and about the same as the Vios and City.

There's no data on the Almera yet, but no reason to suspect it won't perform at least as good than the Vios/City (likely better as lower value new cars depreciate less)

Times have changed wink.png

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

So hows the performance of the Almera?

The engine 1.2 cc was my concern if going on a long trip

I don't think you can "cruise comfortable at 160 km/hr " KBB's style,but 120 should be no problem...making the steep hills fully loaded can be a concern thou...

So hows the performance of the Almera?

The engine 1.2 cc was my concern if going on a long trip

Have only put 200 kilo on so far but has more and smoother exceleration than my pickup did.I had a small engine car for 8 years back in Canada a 3 cylinder , ran great but the transmission started to go so sold it.Not worried about the hills. The way they drive where I am performance means nothing. The cars never get a chance to perform. Most of the time it is slow going because of double parking and cars parked in the street making it impossible to do anything other than crawl along at a snails pace. I took it on the highway for a drive and it performed well at 110 to 120 kph. That is good enough for me.

I am also considering Almera as my first car here in Bangkok. Which model did you get for 505,000 baht? Is the price for 1.2 CVT E model plus the one year insurance or were you offered a free insurance and a discount on 1.2 CVT ES model? Did you get any freebies like door visors, car covers, etc?

I have no previous experience in buying a car in Thailand and would appreciate some advice.

What I have gathered around from my Thai colleagues is that dealers do not normally offer any discount on the manufacturer's price but rather compete on the freebies throw in. If that's the case, I am wondering what's considered "standard" freebies that I should expect when purchasing Almera.

Are there any other costs that I should be aware of apart from the cost of the vehicle itself and the first year insurance when getting the car ready for the road?

Is it worthwhile to wait for the Motor show in the hope of a better deal in terms of freebies or discounts? I am not actually in any hurry to get the car but some of my Thai colleagues warned me that I might be on a long waiting queue if I purchased the car at the Motor show due to the large sales volume expected during the motor show.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

I am also considering Almera as my first car here in Bangkok. Which model did you get for 505,000 baht? Is the price for 1.2 CVT E model plus the one year insurance or were you offered a free insurance and a discount on 1.2 CVT ES model? Did you get any freebies like door visors, car covers, etc?

I have no previous experience in buying a car in Thailand and would appreciate some advice.

What I have gathered around from my Thai colleagues is that dealers do not normally offer any discount on the manufacturer's price but rather compete on the freebies throw in. If that's the case, I am wondering what's considered "standard" freebies that I should expect when purchasing Almera.

Are there any other costs that I should be aware of apart from the cost of the vehicle itself and the first year insurance when getting the car ready for the road?

Is it worthwhile to wait for the Motor show in the hope of a better deal in terms of freebies or discounts? I am not actually in any hurry to get the car but some of my Thai colleagues warned me that I might be on a long waiting queue if I purchased the car at the Motor show due to the large sales volume expected during the motor show.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Yes it was the 1.2 cvt E model. The acutal price was under 489,000 The rest was licensing and insurance.

The freebies are limited because it is a low cost car. But 4 freebies Tinted windows,floor mats, 500 baht of gas and I forgot the other sorry.

I feel it is a very good car for the money.I also feel it maybe difficult to find one on the used market,for I believe most people will see good value in them after they own one and will drive it a long time.

I see it like a boat. In a boat every foot makes a big difference in comfort on the long term owmership. I see the extra room( every inch or centimeter for the metric people) inside an Almera as a big plus over competitors for comfort inside the car for the long term. Any one who has spent a long time sitting in a car,plane or bus know the value of leg room. Almera has the competitors beat hands down in this area. It is the only car low priced car in Thailand that can actually sit 5 people comfortably for a long time.

It is also the best priced car out there for what you receive.

Edited by lovelomsak

Thank you, lovelomask, for sharing your experience. I am also sold on the space offered by Almera and its value for money. I will start visiting a few dealers soon. I just hope the waiting queue is not too long though.

I got mine in 9 days. Pay cash get fast service.

Percentage on deappreciation is lower when the cost of the car is lower. Hatchback type maintains value better than sedan. If you think u need a car and worry about value at end of a few years...get low end cheap hatchback. March or even new Suzuki Eco car.

I have an Almera.

lovelomsak is right about it being a good buy. It is.

It is however what i would call a budget car. Clearly doesn't have the same quality of finish or refinement as a City or Vios.

Engine is fine. Only criticism i would have with it is that when the air con clicks on via the thermostat, quite an audible click - that would be another criticism - you feel a slight and momentary dip in power. Only really noticeable by the driver though. I've tested other Almeras and they seem to be the same. Nissan mechanic says it is because the air con system comes from the Tiida which has a bigger engine.

Seats are too small for an average farang. Better suited to petite females. That said, they seem to provide sufficient support and have had no aches or back pains.

Interior space is excellent thanks to those small seats. Personally i would have sacrificed some interior space for better seats, but you can't have it all.

lovlomsak will i think be proven totally wrong about its depreciation. Should be at least as good, if not better, than the March, and the March is pretty much equal to Honda and Toyota.

I was going to buy a top of the range City for 700,000. The floods prevented me. Although i would have enjoyed driving it more than the Almera, my wallet has enjoyed a massive saving - made all the more massive by the fact i didn't see a great deal of point in going for the top of the range model. I got the manual at 455,000. For that money, i don't think anything else comes anywhere close in terms of value for money. Buy it.

I have an Almera.

lovelomsak is right about it being a good buy. It is.

It is however what i would call a budget car. Clearly doesn't have the same quality of finish or refinement as a City or Vios.

Engine is fine. Only criticism i would have with it is that when the air con clicks on via the thermostat, quite an audible click - that would be another criticism - you feel a slight and momentary dip in power. Only really noticeable by the driver though. I've tested other Almeras and they seem to be the same. Nissan mechanic says it is because the air con system comes from the Tiida which has a bigger engine.

Seats are too small for an average farang. Better suited to petite females. That said, they seem to provide sufficient support and have had no aches or back pains.

Interior space is excellent thanks to those small seats. Personally i would have sacrificed some interior space for better seats, but you can't have it all.

lovlomsak will i think be proven totally wrong about its depreciation. Should be at least as good, if not better, than the March, and the March is pretty much equal to Honda and Toyota.

I was going to buy a top of the range City for 700,000. The floods prevented me. Although i would have enjoyed driving it more than the Almera, my wallet has enjoyed a massive saving - made all the more massive by the fact i didn't see a great deal of point in going for the top of the range model. I got the manual at 455,000. For that money, i don't think anything else comes anywhere close in terms of value for money. Buy it.

Thanks for your input. I hope you are right about depreciation. I got my info through gossip and salesmen so could be totally wrong.

I find the seats fine for me but I am average size and not over weight. So cannot speak for bigger guys, To be honest I never even thought about bigger guys,so i apologize for that.

But we both agree that it is a good buy and good value and I am happy for that.

I hope you enjoy your car and get use from it.You sure saved a lot 245,000 isnot small change.Thanks for posting.

Edited by lovelomsak

Thanks for your input. I hope you are right about depreciation. I got my info through gossip and salesmen so could be totally wrong.

I find the seats fine for me but I am average size and not over weight. So cannot speak for bigger guys, To be honest I never even thought about bigger guys,so i apologize for that.

I hope you enjoy your car and get use from it.You sure saved a lot 245,000 isnot small change.Thanks for posting.

Welcome for the input.

Just for the record, i don't really think i'm that big - 180cm/ 75kg. Pretty average farang wise.

I think if you sit in a City or a Vios you would notice quite a difference with the seats. Another thing re comfort is that I also like a centre arm rest in the front - particularly when driving auto - and the Almera doesn't have one. Pity.

Just out of interest, have you picked up on the air con issue i mentioned?

Hope you enjoy your car too. What colour did you go for?

I am torn between Nissan Almera 1.2 CVT V model (484,000 after tax rebate of 79,000) and Honda City V model (546,000 after tax rebate of 100,000). The standard equipment on them seem to be similar. The difference in the cost between them after the tax rebate is 62,000 baht and I am having hard time deciding which offers better value for money over long term.

I am hoping to get a car that I can drive comfortably around Bangkok daily and visit nearby provinces like HuaHin, RaYong, etc once in a while for next 5 to 7 years without much trouble. I am not an expert driver therefore I don't drive fast so I think the difference in the engine sizes are not much concern on my driving situations.

Yearly insurance, maintenance and fuel costs on Almera should be cheaper but I wonder if going for Honda City V model for extra 62,000 baht will get me a better car for what I am going to use it for. I understand that it's a subjective matter but I just like to hear opinions of others who might have driven Almera and/or City.

I know that I have to rely on a Thai to get the tax rebate and I think I have someone I can trust. I am willing to take the risk and ready for the worst case if it happens. I have made up my mind between these two models after considering what I would like to have as standard equipment so please try not to suggest alternative models.

I would very much appreciate any input on my dilemma. Thanks!

Welcome for the input.

Just for the record, i don't really think i'm that big - 180cm/ 75kg. Pretty average farang wise.

I think if you sit in a City or a Vios you would notice quite a difference with the seats. Another thing re comfort is that I also like a centre arm rest in the front - particularly when driving auto - and the Almera doesn't have one. Pity.

Just out of interest, have you picked up on the air con issue i mentioned?

Hope you enjoy your car too. What colour did you go for?

I have to say I havenot noticed the air con issue. Maybe in time I will.

I went for the black I chose it because the interior material seemed to suit black best.

I thought about the center arm rest also I am different than you I find them an obstacle to deal with and am happy the Almera doesnot have one.

Edited by lovelomsak

Another thing re comfort is that I also like a centre arm rest in the front - particularly when driving auto - and the Almera doesn't have one. Pity.

Neither does the VIOS or City though - if you've driven one of those with an armrest it's been an aftermarket accessory, or you've got yourself into a JDM version... The aftermarket fo the Almera is only just starting to warm up - give it another few months and I'm sure you'll be able to buy yourself an armrest for it though ;)

Thanks for the review of the Almera, 'lovelomsak'. I drive a City so I'm intrigued by the Almera's astonishing 20km/litre efficiency. If you have time, when you next fill up could you report on the economy you're getting? I read the Bangkok Post's review and they got 12.8km/l which made sense as I've parked my City next to an Almera and they are the same size. I'd appreciate your experience.

Thanks.

Another thing re comfort is that I also like a centre arm rest in the front - particularly when driving auto - and the Almera doesn't have one. Pity.

Neither does the VIOS or City though - if you've driven one of those with an armrest it's been an aftermarket accessory, or you've got yourself into a JDM version... The aftermarket fo the Almera is only just starting to warm up - give it another few months and I'm sure you'll be able to buy yourself an armrest for it though wink.png

I hesitate to question a man as well informed as you are MRO, but the top of the range City that i had on order certainly had a centre armrest on the several that i test drove, and it shows as having one in the brochure too. Was pretty sure that the Vios was the same, although my interest in it was only passing so i may be wrong.

You are right about aftermarket stuff though for sure. The City and Vios have so many extra bits and bobs out there that are easily available. As you say, in time the Almera will be similar.

Thanks for the review of the Almera, 'lovelomsak'. I drive a City so I'm intrigued by the Almera's astonishing 20km/litre efficiency. If you have time, when you next fill up could you report on the economy you're getting? I read the Bangkok Post's review and they got 12.8km/l which made sense as I've parked my City next to an Almera and they are the same size. I'd appreciate your experience.

Thanks.

I've driven mine over 4,000 kms and the average on all those miles - about 60% city / 40% country - is 17km/l. I recently switched from E20 to Gasahol 91 and think the economy (and smoothness) has improved. Shan't bother with E20 anymore.

• 2 months later...

I am torn between Nissan Almera 1.2 CVT V model (484,000 after tax rebate of 79,000) and Honda City V model (546,000 after tax rebate of 100,000). The standard equipment on them seem to be similar. The difference in the cost between them after the tax rebate is 62,000 baht.

Hey

this the second time I hear about a tax rebate on cars

it seems to confirm what I ws told regardin 1200CC cars

Would you care to elaborate as sales persons do not seem to know about it

Thanks

Thanks.

Sorry I took so long to get back to you. I wanted to see if 20 kilo to the litre was possible also. I tried benzine 91 at first and got 17 1/2 kilo to the litre. Changed to gasahol still 17 1/2. So I changed my driving habits. Now I get the 20 kilo per litre. I used to drive 120 to 140 kph on the highway. I slowed down to 100kph. I also used to like to accelerate quickly, now I just keepup with the traffic. I only use gasahol now also. So 20 kilo per litre is quite possible with proper driving habits.

Thanks.

Sorry I took so long to get back to you. I wanted to see if 20 kilo to the litre was possible also. I tried benzine 91 at first and got 17 1/2 kilo to the litre. Changed to gasahol still 17 1/2. So I changed my driving habits. Now I get the 20 kilo per litre. I used to drive 120 to 140 kph on the highway. I slowed down to 100kph. I also used to like to accelerate quickly, now I just keepup with the traffic. I only use gasahol now also. So 20 kilo per litre is quite possible with proper driving habits.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm really impressed by the efficiency. I actually took an Almera for a test drive and really liked it, it's a great car for driving around Bangkok with nice features so looks great value for money. Cheers.

Thanks.

...gasohol 95 it is...??

Thanks.

...gasohol 95 it is...??

I'm guessing its 91. But yes, these types of cars are very sensitive to driving habits. When out friend got her march, she was a new driver, and pottered around at 80 km/l to the annoyance of others on the highway. She could easily get 20km/l up to 30 km/l sometimes. I think 20 would be difficult on average, especially if you live anywhere in a builtup area, with 'normal' driving habits.

Thanks.

...gasohol 95 it is...??

I'm guessing its 91. But yes, these types of cars are very sensitive to driving habits. When out friend got her march, she was a new driver, and pottered around at 80 km/l to the annoyance of others on the highway. She could easily get 20km/l up to 30 km/l sometimes. I think 20 would be difficult on average, especially if you live anywhere in a builtup area, with 'normal' driving habits.

...well,the gasohol 91 is pretty bad mix,I wouldn't use it in a small and sophisticated engine like the Almera has...but of course it can be done...

Use whatever the recommended fuel is for the car. I'd image there is practically no noticeable difference between gas91 and gas95 in performance or fuel economy for this car and other ecocars, apart from the cost. Some could run worse on one than the other, so the type of fuel to be used should be checked with the dealer, but I bet 95 will be a waste of money.

Use whatever the recommended fuel is for the car. I'd image there is practically no noticeable difference between gas91 and gas95 in performance or fuel economy for this car and other ecocars, apart from the cost. Some could run worse on one than the other, so the type of fuel to be used should be checked with the dealer, but I bet 95 will be a waste of money.

There is a difference....otherwise that would be a waste of money....