Nissan Almera

It's the biggest car in the ECO segment...and nothing wrong with the looks...with some added plastic... wink.png

Nothing wrong with the looks of this car

If it had a little more power I would buy it. I Have a stick shift pick-up truck, and the wife hates driving it, I am looking for a car that my wife would drive, so it has to be Automatic transmission, and big enough for the family to pile in for the occasional outing.

In my Opinion you might have a hard time making it up the hill, with an auto, a car full of people , 79 hp.and 106 torque, stick-shift might be ok.

For 100,000 bht more The Honda City S, gives you auto, 120 hp, and 146 torque.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the biggest car in the ECO segment...and nothing wrong with the looks...with some added plastic... wink.png

Those humongous twin exhaust outlets the motoring equivalent of a heavily padded push up bra.

It's just for looks,my friend,just for looks....

If it had a little more power I would buy it. I Have a stick shift pick-up truck, and the wife hates driving it, I am looking for a car that my wife would drive, so it has to be Automatic transmission, and big enough for the family to pile in for the occasional outing.

In my Opinion you might have a hard time making it up the hill, with an auto, a car full of people , 79 hp.and 106 torque, stick-shift might be ok.

Hey,here you go...just 100 000 Baht more....?!wink.png

Sorry, I did not mean to be cavalier about it,

But the AT city is only about 20% more expensive than the AT Almera and IMO you get a lot more than 20% more value in the City.

If you are financing it your monthly payments will only be 20% more or about 1600 bht per month more.

and when you sell the car you will get a lot more than 20% back on a higher resale price.

I realize that not all of as are in a position to pay 20% more , but for those who can, I think The Honda City is a better investment.

Sorry, I did not mean to be cavalier about it,

But the AT city is only about 20% more expensive than the AT Almera and IMO you get a lot more than 20% more value in the City.

If you are financing it your monthly payments will only be 20% more or about 1600 bht per month more.

and when you sell the car you will get a lot more than 20% back on a higher resale price.

I realize that not all of as are in a position to pay 20% more , but for those who can, I think The Honda City is a better investment.

No argument here...City is 20% better car,at least...smile.png

Bit unfair to compare the City, why not compare the Nissan with same priced Honda,or other ECO offers on the market...coffee1.gif

I am not making a comparison between Nissan and Honda, IMO they are both fine companies,

producing fine automobiles,

I am comparing options in the price range,

I looked at the Almera and I like it, if it had just 10 more ponies under the hood I would buy it no problem and even pay a little more. 79 hp makes me a little nervous for the weight of the vehicle with an AT.

I looked at all the options available to me at that price range, and IMO for the reasons I stated I think the city is the best option, I also looked at the Vios,, same price as City but only 109 hp

140 torque,

Toyota Yaris is nice IMO also , but at 86 hp and 108 torque I think it is a little under powered.

but is I went for the money savings, I would consider the Yaris J Eco at 469,000 bht

I am still looking, If anyone has a better option I am certainly willing to consider it.

Bit unfair to compare the City, why not compare the Nissan with same priced Honda,or other ECO offers on the market...coffee1.gif

I am not making a comparison between Nissan and Honda, IMO they are both fine companies,

producing fine automobiles,

I am comparing options in the price range,

I looked at the Almera and I like it, if it had just 10 more ponies under the hood I would buy it no problem and even pay a little more. 79 hp makes me a little nervous for the weight of the vehicle with an AT.

I looked at all the options available to me at that price range, and IMO for the reasons I stated I think the city is the best option, I also looked at the Vios,, same price as City but only 109 hp

140 torque,

Toyota Yaris is nice IMO also , but at 86 hp and 108 torque I think it is a little under powered.

but is I went for the money savings, I would consider the Yaris J Eco at 469,000 bht

I am still looking, If anyone has a better option I am certainly willing to consider it.

New Yaris is probably the best ECO car out here.....take a drive and see yourself.

Almera?

Up to you, did you do a test drive? I drive at least 100Km per day doing the school run and other general taxi work, and am happy with the Almera. It generally has three adults and a chit of a child in it. A combination of country roads, highways and town traffic. I have been to Bangkok from Buriram twice, We also went to Vientiane going through Pitsanaluk and that stuff. I never noticed a problem due lack of umph, the acceleration although not fantastic, is sufficient. I get about 18 Km per litre, which is not to be scoffed at. Three years insurance included in the price and three years roadside assistance.

The automatic transmission is a dream for me after years of driving all sorts of trucks so maybe I am a bit overwhelmed by this car. It would be nice to know how you decide and what your experiences are.

Almera?

Up to you, did you do a test drive? I drive at least 100Km per day doing the school run and other general taxi work, and am happy with the Almera. It generally has three adults and a chit of a child in it. A combination of country roads, highways and town traffic. I have been to Bangkok from Buriram twice, We also went to Vientiane going through Pitsanaluk and that stuff. I never noticed a problem due lack of umph, the acceleration although not fantastic, is sufficient. I get about 18 Km per litre, which is not to be scoffed at. Three years insurance included in the price and three years roadside assistance.

The automatic transmission is a dream for me after years of driving all sorts of trucks so maybe I am a bit overwhelmed by this car. It would be nice to know how you decide and what your experiences are.

Cooked, I am a bit confused, is your Almera automatic or is it stick?

I normally like a stick shift, and if I had my way would never buy an automatic, But I also like sextongue.png so I need to keep the wife Happy.with an AT

I think a stick shift Almera would be fine, it is the Automatic that I have concerns with.

Almera?

Cooked, I am a bit confused, is your Almera automatic or is it stick?

I normally like a stick shift, and if I had my way would never buy an automatic, But I also like sextongue.png so I need to keep the wife Happy.with an AT

I think a stick shift Almera would be fine, it is the Automatic that I have concerns with.

mmmm.... as I state in my last line, automatic. I know, I know, many people think that they prefer stick. Don't forget my 40 years truck driving, including a couple that I had to double declutch. If you really want to go for boy racing in bangkok traffic or on the highways, I'm afraid that my interest in that kind of thing left me many years ago. Thai driving is about smoothly fitting into to the flow, anticipation staying cool and not dying. The new automatics (CVT) are a revelation, I love it. I hated the earlier automatics also,

We have had our Almera for a year now and like it. It runs fine and while one should not expect massive acceleration it serves our purposes.

My only irritant is the engine shutting off at each stop sign/stop light. I automatically hit the disengage button as soon as I start the car. I don't like the delay and think that it puts undo wear and tear on the starter. Plus, with such a small engine I figure that I am contributing enough towards fuel savings.

Would I buy another one? Probably, although I would have the mechanic hard wire the system to permanently override that pesky engine shutoff system before the car left the dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We have had our Almera for a year now and like it. It runs fine and while one should not expect massive acceleration it serves our purposes.

My only irritant is the engine shutting off at each stop sign/stop light. I automatically hit the disengage button as soon as I start the car. I don't like the delay and think that it puts undo wear and tear on the starter. Plus, with such a small engine I figure that I am contributing enough towards fuel savings.

Would I buy another one? Probably, although I would have the mechanic hard wire the system to permanently override that pesky engine shutoff system before the car left the dealer.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I agree up to a point. Question: what is happening when you are stationary and you have your foot on the brake pedal? Nothing being slowly wasted away?

Secondly, in Bangkok traffic for instance you can find yourself waiting for 5 or 10 minutes in front of a red light, but I don't know why people can't be trusted to turn off the motor themselves if they want to. I tend to turn of the idle stop also.

Wong 120..Seen the Price of a Focus. Jeez , 1 Mill, I said it looked like a Budget Eco Almira ,bit of a putdown when folks mix em up like many do. Yank Barges.?. <deleted> you smoking.

You had better tell Ford to update their website as they are still advertising them from 759,000B.

And just because your brain is fuddled doesn't mean others mix them up - even my wife can tell the difference. I guess she's a bit wiser than some when it comes to cars. She also says "Red ones are nice".

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Good evening. Please help me to avail of the English Version - User's Manual of Almera E CVT.

If there's none, please advice other ways. Thanks very much

Kai

I emailed Nissan and asked for an English version. They sent it out to me within a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• 11 months later...

As the topic has some history, now I am going to complain about Almera as I owned it for 2 years so far. Not even 40K but I had problems with the fan, that it was fixed at Nissan show room in no time. Then shortly my aircon went dead! Not even 40K and the aircon went dead? That's no good. I've driven Vios and Altis before and have never had problems about aircon at 40k range. The problem has been fixed in a day at Nissan showroom, which is not bad.

Personally I am getting disappointed with Almera that the car is falling apart not even reaching 40K. Luckily Nissan offers 3 year or 100k warranty and the problems are fixed without extra pay. I can't imagine the state of my car when it reaches 100k as it seems it falling apart at 40k.

I'll post again if have any problems with the car.

Good for you, but it is butt ugly

I bought an Almera a couple of years ago and it is still going strong. It's small size and frugal gasoline habits impressed me, although I do disengage the stoplight/stop sign shut off each time I start it up.

And yes, I do like it, but must agree - the Almera is butt ugly.

• 2 years later...
On 3/24/2014 at 2:27 PM, Aldebaran1981 said:

is the 1.2L enough for the almera? even going longer distances, say, from bangkok to hua hin or isaan?

I've done it with Almera from Bangkok to Nong Kai, and from Bangkok to Songkhla. I had no problems whatsoever! The only problem if you want extra power. The car feels comfortable at the speed of up to 120 km/h, but beyond that it feels shaky especially with the original wheels when purchased from Nissan. I noticed that with better wheels the car won't feel that shaky, but that requires extra investment.

On 5/16/2015 at 11:35 PM, Thunder26 said:

As the topic has some history, now I am going to complain about Almera as I owned it for 2 years so far. Not even 40K but I had problems with the fan, that it was fixed at Nissan show room in no time. Then shortly my aircon went dead! Not even 40K and the aircon went dead? That's no good. I've driven Vios and Altis before and have never had problems about aircon at 40k range. The problem has been fixed in a day at Nissan showroom, which is not bad.

Personally I am getting disappointed with Almera that the car is falling apart not even reaching 40K. Luckily Nissan offers 3 year or 100k warranty and the problems are fixed without extra pay. I can't imagine the state of my car when it reaches 100k as it seems it falling apart at 40k.

I'll post again if have any problems with the car.

Update to the post I made in the past. After they fixed the air I had no problems with it. They fixed it in a day as I said. Now my car reached 90 K of driving and it is still going with no problems.

Archived