Internet Banking

I registered for internet banking and all is well, I can check balance etc. but the original reason I got it was to transfer money to my girlfriends bank account, thus saving the £15 bank charge in England.

When I opt for transfer money to another account, I get the message 'You are not authorised'.

Can anyone help. I went into the bank to ask but their English was not good enough to understand my problem.

I guess you are talking about a UK bank account that you have internet banking with? No way you can transfer funds to an overseas account that I know of. Best thing to do is to open another account and mail the atm card to your lady. Then you can transfer money into that account and she can withdraw from an atm machine in Thailand.

Syd,

I got a Nationwide "Cash Card Only" account no switch , etc.

Just set up the account in your name and then give the card to your gf

and transfer your life savings !

No costs for withdrawals overseas so you can be satisfied that all your

hard earned dosh is going to a worthy cause / thai bf (only joking!) and

not some city slciker bank institution or worse still raising funds to

pay the goernments tax bills !

Just make sure on the account that you opt for Cash Card only, I'm

sure your gf will be extremely pleased to receive your cashcard !

best of luck ! :o

....  No way you can transfer funds to an overseas account that I know of.  Best thing to do is to open another account and mail the atm card to your .....

4 questions:

Q1 - do any Thai Bank issued ATMs work in Singapore? meaning money goes into a thai bank account and comes out of an ATM in S'pore?

Q2 - I've got a Bank of Asia internet account and I can check its status all day long but ... if I want to transfer a few thousand baht (in the confort of my own home without a trip to a bank) to another baht account say Kassikorn or any other local thai account NO CAN DO ...

Q3 Any other, to the contrary - internet easy - suggestions?

Q4 does Paypal work in Thailand?

thanx

Zed

q1 Don't believe the lowest fee atm cards work outside Thailand but believe they all offer debit or more expensive cards that do.

q2 Internet banking is a misnomer here and in most cases you must first set up accounts for transfer. In many cases you can do more on phone or at an atm machine than via internet.

q3 As said, phone banking if outside Thailand and atm transfers if inside. Keep lookout for improvements in internet banking.

q4 Paypal will not allow accounts in Thailand from frequent reports but if you have card some have said it can be used to withdraw baht.

q1  Don't believe the lowest fee atm cards work outside Thailand but believe they all offer debit or more expensive cards that do.

q2  Internet banking is a misnomer here and in most cases you must first set up accounts for transfer.  In many cases you can do more on phone or at an atm machine than via internet.

q3  As said, phone banking if outside Thailand and atm transfers if inside.  Keep lookout for improvements in internet banking.

q4  Paypal will not allow accounts in Thailand from frequent reports but if you have card some have said it can be used to withdraw baht.

lopburi3

thank you for clear answers.

RE.: Q2 - I've got a Bank of Asia internet account and I can check its status all day long but ... if I want to transfer a few thousand baht (in the confort of my own home without a trip to a bank) to another baht account say Kassikorn or any other local thai account NO CAN DO ...

Just heard that regarding:

with CityBank internet account transfers to other local thai bank accounts can be done - the only draw back with CityBank is it requires 100,000 minimun deposit when first opening an account with them ...

Can anybody confirm CityBank's internet account transfer of money to other local thai bank accounts ... thanx in advance Zed

with CityBank internet account transfers to other local thai bank accounts can be done - the only draw back with CityBank is it requires 100,000 minimun deposit when first opening an account with them ...

Can anybody confirm CityBank's internet account transfer of money to other local thai bank accounts ... thanx in advance Zed

It's "citibank".

Just have a look to their website. All is explained regarding transfers !

http://www.citi.com/thailand/ctbonline/trans.htm

Nevertheless, can someone confirm that their service is reliable and good ?

Christophe

I guess you are talking about a UK bank account that you have internet banking with? No way you can transfer funds to an overseas account that I know of. Best thing to do is to open another account and mail the atm card to your lady. Then you can transfer money into that account and she can withdraw from an atm machine in Thailand.

I can transfer money into BKK bank account from Westpac bank in Oz via internet, same as telegraphic transfer but cheaper AUD$ 20.

The best way to do it as Lop says mail the card to GF, wife or family and withdraw money, that only costs AUD$5 per transaction. We pay our bills, house expenses that way and is good. :o

[Q1 - do any Thai Bank issued ATMs work in Singapore? meaning money goes into a thai bank account and comes out of an ATM in S'pore?

UOB Radanasin Bank issue Visa Electron Cards that

I have used in ATMs in India.

UOB is a Singapore Bank so I would presume that their Cards will work there.

Roger

I guess you are talking about a UK bank account that you have internet banking with?  No way you can transfer funds to an overseas account that I know of.  Best thing to do is to open another account and mail the atm card to your lady.  Then you can transfer money into that account and she can withdraw from an atm machine in Thailand.

I can transfer money into BKK bank account from Westpac bank in Oz via internet, same as telegraphic transfer but cheaper AUD$ 20.

The best way to do it as Lop says mail the card to GF, wife or family and withdraw money, that only costs AUD$5 per transaction. We pay our bills, house expenses that way and is good. ;)

From my danish bank, Danske Bank, I do transfers via the Internet to Bangkok Bank on a regular basis. The Internet banking is free of charge for most services, but transfers to banks abroad cost DKK 20 (less than 3 EURO).

I transfer money each month from the UK on a standing order with HSBC, and from reading this forum I might be able to do that on the internet banking site (which I'm registered with already) and save at least some of the fee.

I wanted to set up internet banking in Thailand with the Bangkok Bank, but it seems to must have a residence or work permit. Don't know what that has to do with conducting internet banking - just red tape I suppose. Rules for the sake of rules with no real purpose. Same when I applied for a Visa card with Citibank. They needed a work permit, even though I don't work in Thailand. Surely the amount of money in your account has more relevance. Even though I have Amex cards in Thailand and UK (platinum in UK) and Visa cards in the UK, it cuts no ice in Thailand. No matter. If they don't want my business, so be it.

BoA internet banking: "For your own safety" (quoting the BoA helpdesk) you can trnsfer via internet at BoA only to your OWN Bank accounts - provided you have at least two of them at BoA. Bill payments are limited to Bangkok. If you live in the province, it may be not possible. The blame goes not to BoA but to the upcountry operations of water, electricity etc. supliers who are not yet in the system.

I switched to SCB now...from what they say their internet banking must be more advanced....yet to give it a try."Funny" story on the side: Tried SCB's hotline...only by giving my name and a/c number they told me how much money is ion my account without further ID check....made it clear that if this happens again, account will be closed instantly.

I registered for internet banking and all is well, I can check balance etc. but the original reason I got it was to transfer money to my girlfriends bank account, thus saving the £15 bank charge in England.

When I opt for transfer money to another account, I get the message 'You are not authorised'.

Can anyone help. I went into the bank to ask but their English was not good enough to understand my problem.

I have read your message that you have an internet enabled account in Thailand and wish to transfer money to your GF account in Thailand. I have the same with Bangkok Bank BUT you can only transfer money to another person (as opposed to paying a bill or suchlike to one of their registered companies such as AIS, UBC etc) by going into your branch and filling out a form requesting to set up a 3rd party transfer facility. Pain in the arse but this is Thailand.

Also you cannot transfer outside that bank (i.e your GF has to be with the same bank) nor can you tranfer money overseas.

Hope this helps

It's "citibank".

Just have a look to their website. All is explained regarding transfers !

http://www.citi.com/thailand/ctbonline/trans.htm

Christophe

Christophe

Thanx Christophe, for correction from City to Citi, I'm sleeping much better now :o

so... can anybody oot'thare confirm or not ?