All Those Noodle-style Types

asanee

Now when you look around in a well-assorted foodcourt, there are scores of noodle=kwaytiaw stands. They seem to have some type of ''nominator=style'', like Ayuttaya, (chiangmai) Boat, phitsanuloke, etc.

I dont even east noodles that often, but does anyone know what the differecne is between those? It does not seem to apply to the noodles itself (all have sen yai/lek/mie etc.), but to the way they prepare it. Or is''boat'' only related to the smallboat that usualy appears there?

Now when you look around in a well-assorted foodcourt, there are scores of noodle=kwaytiaw stands. They seem to have some type of ''nominator=style'', like Ayuttaya, (chiangmai) Boat, phitsanuloke, etc.

I dont even east noodles that often, but does anyone know what the differecne is between those? It does not seem to apply to the noodles itself (all have sen yai/lek/mie etc.), but to the way they prepare it. Or is''boat'' only related to the smallboat that usualy appears there?

Boat noodles refers to a noodle dish that originated amongst the floating markets of Thailand. It was traditionally sold by women who would paddle around the floating markets servicing the local traders & shoppers alike. It is usually served in the morning or at lunch but rarely eaten at dinner.

Boat noodles are usually rice noodles served in a dark beef broth served with tender stewed beef & any seasonal green leafed vegetable. It is not a spicy dish so all can try it but as always, there are regional variations to this theme.

does anyone know what the differecne is between those? It does not seem to apply to the noodles itself (all have sen yai/lek/mie etc.), but to the way they prepare it.

they are different from the process that it 's made

maybe this link can give some idea Asian Noodles

Wow, what a fantastic link. I never knew there were so many different types of noodle and I eat noodles a lot. I must get around to trying more..

Wow, what a fantastic link.  I never knew there were so many different types of noodle and I eat noodles a lot.  I must get around to trying more..

have you ever try mama(instant noodle) that's cooked in diff. way (yah i know, sound silly with pot noody)

but

- fried mama (with egg +veggies +meat)

- mama topping with curry

- mama (use+cook it instead spaghetti)

its jummyyyy... :o

noodle dish (northern style)

noodles-khao-soi-1-sml.jpg

Khao Soi

Khao Soi is directly a result of the Muslim Chin Haw influence in the Golden Triangle (See previous article) and is a perfect reflection of the complex cultural diversity of the region – in it you can taste the Mideast, the Spice Islands, China and Thailand. Normally it is made with chicken or beef but today many non-Muslims use pork. Below are a recipe and several suggested restaurants in Chiang Mai noted for exceptional Khao Soi. When you visit Northern Thailand, don't leave without trying it!

Khao Soi With Chicken (can use other meat instead)

Ingredients:

3-4 pounds chicken, cut into large pieces

(or you could use 2 legs, 2 thighs and 2 breast pieces, about 3 pounds altogether)

2 ½ tbsp. Red Curry Paste

2 tbsp. Oil

3 cups Coconut Milk

1 tbsp. Curry Powder

½ tbsp. Turmeric Powder

1 piece star anise

1 cinnamon stick

4 cloves

2 cardamom seeds

Water or chicken stock 1-1 ½ cup(s)

½ tsp. Sugar

Fish Sauce to taste

The rest of the ingredients:

About 6-7 (loosely packed) cups of boiled flat Chinese Bah-mi egg noodle. Or fettucine noodles

Some shallots, thinly sliced

1 can or a cup of pickled Chinese cabbage or mustard green, rinse and slice

3-4 cups oil for frying

3 limes, cut into slivers

6 dried chilies

Preparation:

• Into a hot heavy bottom pot, add 2 tbsp oil and the red curry paste, curry powder, turmeric and cook, stirring vigorously, for a few minutes until the curry paste is fragrant. Be careful not to burn the paste.

• Add 1 cup of coconut milk and let the pan come back to a boil. Let it bubble for a few minutes over med-high heat, stirring well, until you begin to see the red oil separating from the coconut milk mixture. Add second cup of coconut milk, again wait until the oil separates.

• Add the chicken pieces, anise, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom to the pot, with 1-cup water and the rest of the coconut milk. Let it come back to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer.

• Add the fish sauce, starting with 2 tbsp. Close the lid and let simmer until the chicken is done. Check the seasonings; you might need to add more fish sauce. The flavor of the curry should be a bit salty and spicy with a sweet aftertaste. When you taste the curry at this stage, it should be a bit saltier than what you would like the final dish to taste.

• Take 1 cup of cooked noodles, fluff up until the strands are separated. Fry a little bit at a time in a pan with very hot oil until golden; you will need to flip the noodles once in the pan to get the same color on both sides. Set aside.

• Use the oil to fry up the dried chilies very quickly being careful not to let them burn. Set aside.

• Slice the shallots, rinse and slice the Chinese cabbage or mustard greens, cut up limes, chop cilantro and set aside.

To Serve:

1. After the chicken curry is done, heat up a large pot of water to a full boil. Rinse the rest of the fresh noodles first in cold water to wash out the excess starch, and then cook in very hot boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Stir the noodles well to prevent sticking.

2. Put some cooked noodles into a bowl, top with the curry and put fried noodles on top.

3. Garnish to taste with shallots, pickle, chili and limejuice.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Ingredients

4 ounces rice noodles

1 tbs chopped garlic

1 tbs red curry paste

1/2 cup coconut milk

4 ounces ground pork

one cup chicken stock

1 tbs curry powder - pong gari

a pinch of turmeric powder

2 tbs fish sauce - nam pla

a pinch of palm sugar

a tsp lime juice

You will also need - for the Garnish

spring onions, sliced shallots and lime wedges

Method - noodles

1. Soak noodles in cool water for 15-30 minutes then drain for use.

2. Bring a pan of water to the boil, then place the noodles in a wire basket or strainer and dip the noodles in the water for a few seconds (no more)

3. drain them and transfer to the serving plate.

Method - Sauce

1. In a wok, heat the coconut milk

2. stir in the curry paste until the aroma is brought out and a thin film of oil separates out

3. add the garlic and stir fry for about 30 seconds

4. Add the remaining ingredients except the pork, and stir until the sauce thickens slightly.

5. Add the pork

6. continue to stir until the meat is cooked through.

7. Pour the sauce over the noodles.

PS ...but khao soi i used to eat, it look like egg noodle , not rice noodle :o

Edited by BambinA

doh ..my Khao soi 's foto lose

image.jpg

That does sound well nice, Bambina,,,, can we all come to your place for food.....?

sure..seriously..i cook pretty well ..especially after i work as a surgeon ..i hve some special ingradients for you guys :o

sure..seriously..i cook pretty well ..especially after i work as a surgeon ..i hve some special ingradients for you guys :o

Er...., 10bt noodles from round the corner it is then..... :D

redrus

:D:D @ redrus

The above photo does not look like lunch , it looks like someone lost their lunch .

noodle dish (northern style)

noodles-khao-soi-1-sml.jpg

Khao Soi 

PS ...but khao soi i used to eat, it look like  egg noodle , not rice noodle :o

Nice recipe dude!

Will try it this week & let you iknow how it turned out.

I love the combination of soft rice noodles, crispy fried noodles & the spicy coconut broth.

The best khao soi I ever tasted was at Anusarn food market in chiang mai. It cost 30b and came garnished with chopped shallots, lime, coriander & pickled cabbage. The pickled cabbage was a superb accompaniment but I have not seen it served at other places - is it a regional variation only served in chiang mai?

I have not seen it served at other places - is it a regional variation only served in chiang mai?

i reckon u can find "khao soi" many places /provinces in TH, maybe just ask local people about " Arharn Neur" (north food)

Jeff1

The above photo does not look like lunch , it looks like someone lost their lunch .

kick !! :o:D:D

I have not seen it served at other places - is it a regional variation only served in chiang mai?

i reckon u can find "khao soi" many places /provinces in TH, maybe just ask local people about " Arharn Neur" (north food)

Sorry B, you misunderstand.

I know khao soy is a northern speciality, I was asking about the pickled cabbage being a regional thing or is it always served with khao soy?

Just a further note about khao soi, the original Jeen Haw (Yunnanese) recipe does not contain coconut milk, and was made with chicken or beef, never pork. If you visit Yunnanese villages outside Chiang Mai - such as in northern Chiang Mai province around Doi Ang Khang or Doi Mae Salong - today you can eat the original style, with a rich broth made from chicken stock and various khreuang thet (spices) but no coconut milk.

Pai in Mae Hong Son province also has a few jeen haw foodstalls serving traditional khao soi. Occasionally places in the north where Bangkok Thai live will have khao soi with coconut milk.

Bangkok Thai-Chinese introduced coconut milk to khao soi in Chiang Mai city relatively recently (last half century perhaps), and also begin offering pork as an option. The Jeen Haw, being Muslim, never use pork in the recipe of course.

In Yunnan one never sees the coconut milk version, likewise in the eastern Shan State (eg Kengtung/Chiang Tung) of Myanmar, where khao soi is also popular. No pork there either.

Even here in Chiang Mai, only a few restaurants offer khao soi with pork. Most places offer chicken only; just a few places have beef and pork is relatively rare outside of the tourist khao soi 'ghetto' along Charoen Rat (though one place there, Khao Soi Samoe Jai, is quite good).

I like eating both versions, with and without coconut milk, but since it's only when I travel outside Chiang Mai that I get a chance to savour the old recipe, I must admit I tend to prefer the latter.

Another variation in khao soi around the north is the shape of the egg noodle, typically square in Chiang Mai but round elsewhere. Not sure how that variation came about.