Speak English, For Goodnes Sake!

StreetCowboy

quote ''So why do you need to understand? SC''

wouldn't want to miss a first

It would be a first if a Scotsman was to ask you what you wanted. You'll drink what's put in front of you, and be grateful for it.

SC

it would need to be a stiff one to get drunk.gif over the shock

SSSShhhhhhh................You shouldn't mention stiff one to SC.........he's at a bad age,.........and he's a bit touchy about it

...wouldn't want to miss a first

SSSShhhhhhh................You shouldn't mention stiff one to SC.........he's at a bad age,.........and he's a bit touchy about it

I'll have you know I am a fine upstanding member of the community, and can hold my own in any company

SC

I've always reckoned I'm as well to miss the first, as I never remember missing the last; unless we're talking buses.

That reminds me of a joke - I'll not bore you with the whole story, but the second horse turns to the first and says "Would you credit it? A talking dog!"

I'll have you know I am a fine upstanding member of the community, and can hold my own in any company

SC

I've always reckoned I'm as well to miss the first, as I never remember missing the last; unless we're talking buses.

That reminds me of a joke - I'll not bore you with the whole story, but the second horse turns to the first and says "Would you credit it? A talking dog!"

Dammit, you caught me out.......I was under the impression your eyesight was failing too.

Obviously not rolleyes.gif

SC

Dammit, you caught me out.......I was under the impression your eyesight was failing too.

I don;'t hold my own that much

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Naw, I just find another guy from Scotland and ask him what he is on about.

Asking what he is on about is absolutely correct when talking to an Englishman.

But with guys from Scotland the correct terminology is "What is he blethering on about"

Have you learnt nothing from the multiple posts on blethering in the last week?

• Like 1

SC

I only hold my own in private

quote ''So why do you need to understand? SC''

wouldn't want to miss a first

It would be a first if a Scotsman was to ask you what you wanted. You'll drink what's put in front of you, and be grateful for it.

SC

You can away home to think again if you think I'm going to give you a stiff one

home and stiff ones have not been happening of late

SC

I don;'t hold my own that much

SC

dont need to ....thats why its so great here

Some things are better not shared on a public forum...

SC

Some things are better not shared on a public forum...

SC

never share my stiff ones in public....hygene issue

The most important rule with foreign languages is, Never learn the swearwords. Then anyone can swear at you as much as they like, but it doesn't matter because you don't understand. I used this strategy in Hong Kong (Cantonese is immensely rich in swearwords), and it worked a treat.

but those are the first worlds i always learn ....... :)

Asking what he is on about is absolutely correct when talking to an Englishman.

But with guys from Scotland the correct terminology is "What is he blethering on about"

Have you learnt nothing from the multiple posts on blethering in the last week?

Understanding, sorry, unnerstonin, is the key.

First one to clearly define the meaning please

On the bus you hear-- Cumoan, Git Aff.

PS Copper wire was invented in Scotland by two men fighting over a pennybiggrin.png

• Like 1

But how are you supposed to understand a Scott, a Welshman, or some Cockney from London?

Indeed Ian, and why would you want to?

Kinda the same as trying to understand women...WHY?

• Like 1

But how are you supposed to understand a Scott, a Welshman, or some Cockney from London?

A Babelfish comes in handy.

No need to bother trying to understand. They hardly ever say anything worthwhile.

Why English native speakers always go out from the presumption, others speak English ?Even in films, where (English speaking) humans meet aliens, automatically they should speak and understand English.

Why not simply learn the languiage of the country your income comes from / future lies ?

As a London food trader me once told:

when you know two languages, you are bi-lingual

when you know three languages, you are triple lingual

when you know four languages, you are a genius

when you know one language, ... you are British

Why English native speakers always go out from the presumption, others speak English ?Even in films, where (English speaking) humans meet aliens, automatically they should speak and understand English.

Why not simply learn the languiage of the country your income comes from / future lies ?

As a London food trader me once told:

when you know two languages, you are bi-lingual

when you know three languages, you are triple lingual

when you know four languages, you are a genius

when you know one language, ... you are British

Exactly; learn the lingua franca. I can undestand that the crumblies here might be resigned to never moving on till its time to cross the river to greener pastures, but for many of us, learning Thai would be tempting fate... or whould have been...

SC

• Like 1

I did ask an newly acquired friend of mine from Belfast if he could repeat that again in English but I don´t think there is any problem as long as it´s the international language. It´s worse when people approaches and think you speak German for example.

imo,

immigration regs ,

that a farang , who chooses to live in thailand,

should be required to speak at least basic thai .

mie couwjie angry.png

After many years l can speak ''Chek Bin'', been told it is no.1 for Thai Degree diploma. cowboy.gif

I did ask an newly acquired friend of mine from Belfast if he could repeat that again in English but I don´t think there is any problem as long as it´s the international language. It´s worse when people approaches and think you speak German for example.

ten minutes into the conversation...

• Like 1

There are various European speakers (mostly French) in my workplace and they can't help themselves at times. Very rude and arrogant, especially when they try it on with native English speakers. Just the other day, as I was tucking into my pate sandwich and cafe latte some cheeky foriegn type blurted out 'bon apetite' as he passed me by. Damned cheek!!

• Like 2

There are various European speakers (mostly French) in my workplace and they can't help themselves at times. Very rude and arrogant, especially when they try it on with native English speakers. Just the other day, as I was tucking into my pate sandwich and cafe latte some cheeky foriegn type blurted out 'bon apetite' as he passed me by. Damned cheek!!

Ah well, c'est la vie, as you English say...