Night Spots To Close Nationwide For Thai Princess' Funeral April 8-10

webfact

I would never claim to be an expert on royal protocol, so perhaps someone could help me out here. Are there fixed rules about which members of the Royal Family deserve such commemoration? I understand the late Princess was the daughter of a monarch; but did this enforced no-booze spell come into force every time one of King Chulalongkorn's 77 offspring died? Or does this also apply to the deaths of other relatives (siblings, grandchildren, etc) of a monarch? (I don't remember it happening when His Majesty's grandson died in the tsunami, for example.)

I have asked Thai friends what the rules are, but they seem a bit nonplussed as well, and also seem to have only the vaguest knowledge of HRH Princess Benjaratna's life and works - beyond, oddly, the fact that if you gave her any historical date, she could tell you the day of the week on which it occurred, which is pretty cool.

"Princess Benjaratna" my Thai partner had never heard of her, when I gave her more details she said well King Chulalongkorn had loads of children.

Mind you I'm pretty vague about my own Royal Family (British), particularly Andrew's lotbiggrin.png

Mine was a bit vague as well until she worked out the strange translation from Thai script to Roman alphabet. As far as I can tell "bpetcharat" or "petcharat" is closer. There seems to be a tendency to add a syllable to the end of words as in "Shinawatra".

I'm sure this is some plan to make westerners look stupid. As if.

That would make sense, Thais seem to use "na" as a polite terminator to sentences.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Na is silent according to the Thai alphabet. Likewise, Shinawatra is pronounced Shinawat.

I would never claim to be an expert on royal protocol, so perhaps someone could help me out here. Are there fixed rules about which members of the Royal Family deserve such commemoration? I understand the late Princess was the daughter of a monarch; but did this enforced no-booze spell come into force every time one of King Chulalongkorn's 77 offspring died? Or does this also apply to the deaths of other relatives (siblings, grandchildren, etc) of a monarch? (I don't remember it happening when His Majesty's grandson died in the tsunami, for example.)

I have asked Thai friends what the rules are, but they seem a bit nonplussed as well, and also seem to have only the vaguest knowledge of HRH Princess Benjaratna's life and works - beyond, oddly, the fact that if you gave her any historical date, she could tell you the day of the week on which it occurred, which is pretty cool.

"Princess Benjaratna" my Thai partner had never heard of her, when I gave her more details she said well King Chulalongkorn had loads of children.

Mind you I'm pretty vague about my own Royal Family (British), particularly Andrew's lotbiggrin.png

Mine was a bit vague as well until she worked out the strange translation from Thai script to Roman alphabet. As far as I can tell "bpetcharat" or "petcharat" is closer. There seems to be a tendency to add a syllable to the end of words as in "Shinawatra".

I'm sure this is some plan to make westerners look stupid. As if.

That would make sense, Thais seem to use "na" as a polite terminator to sentences.

Edited by Reasonableman

Na is silent according to the Thai alphabet. Likewise, Shinawatra is pronounced Shinawat.

To be extra formal Thais say "Ka pun na krap", the "na" is definitely voiced.

I hope some of you people never have surgery. I had an accident last year and then surgery and developed a post operative infection. Being on medication means no alcohol (if you want to recover quickly). I was out and about a few weeks after the surgery but count not drink booze until the infection was completely gone. 10 weeks. Infections in the tropics can get serious if not properly cared for.

Once again, alcohol will be available for those wanting and/or needing it. Don't panic!!

Nowhere in the article is there any indication that there will be a ban on the sale of alcohol during this period. Why have so many assumed that there will be?

Agreed, quite right, but that's a different context from royal-style names and a different "na" ;-)

Ka pun?? ;-)

Edited by Reasonableman

Good point. If your favorite night club is closed, go somewhere else...

I hope some of you people never have surgery. I had an accident last year and then surgery and developed a post operative infection. Being on medication means no alcohol (if you want to recover quickly). I was out and about a few weeks after the surgery but count not drink booze until the infection was completely gone. 10 weeks. Infections in the tropics can get serious if not properly cared for.

Once again, alcohol will be available for those wanting and/or needing it. Don't panic!!

Nowhere in the article is there any indication that there will be a ban on the sale of alcohol during this period. Why have so many assumed that there will be?

.... and there lies another problem - it is usually left to the interpretation/application by the local constabulary

it is usual that a funeral is 1 year after the death of a person?

is this really an actual funeral? or is it some sort of a ceremony or stone-setting?

It's only been 8 months.

Google "royal thai funerals" and educate yourself a little bit.

LMFAO at all the pious people on this forum who are good ex-pats, 'real tourists' etc and not one of those bad SEX TOURISTS!!!! (dam_n them to HELL!)

I suggest that all of the righteous persons who posted their angst again this evil vice prior to this (and who have NEVER visited a go-go bar etc) to throw some more stones... :D

• Like 2

is this really an actual funeral? or is it some sort of a ceremony or stone-setting?

It's only been 8 months.

yellow_warning.gif No results found for "royal thai funerals". :D

It's only been 8 months.

yellow_warning.gif No results found for "royal thai funerals". biggrin.png

http://thainews.prd....id=255407270020 Did you get educated yet??? (News Date : 27 July 2011) 555555 Edited by csolgosz

LMFAO at all the pious people on this forum who are good ex-pats, 'real tourists' etc and not one of those bad SEX TOURISTS!!!! (dam_n them to HELL!)

I suggest that all of the righteous persons who posted their angst again this evil vice prior to this (and who have NEVER visited a go-go bar etc) to throw some more stones... biggrin.png

My condolences to you.

You seem ill prepared to handle three days of Thai culture. Time to make a visa run to Cambodia where you will not have to suffer withdrawal.

• Like 1

I suggest that all of the righteous persons who posted their angst again this evil vice prior to this (and who have NEVER visited a go-go bar etc) to throw some more stones... biggrin.png

My condolences to you.

You seem ill prepared to handle three days of Thai culture. Time to make a visa run to Cambodia where you will not have to suffer withdrawal.

Bar closures are Thai culture ? :)

I think you fit comfortably into csolgosz's self-righteous group.

• Like 1

It's only been 8 months.

yellow_warning.gif No results found for "royal thai funerals". biggrin.png

Try it without the quotes, Sherlock. It'll return 621,000+ results. wink.png

• Like 1

My condolences to you.

Sorry, I don't need to do that with a work permit. Thai culture??? <deleted> is that? The certificate I have that I have done a Thai Cultural Course? Oh, making som tum, doing a pathetic litle finger-bending dance, singing Loy Kratong and believing that most Thai girls are conservative little innocents, and don't sell their bodies for sex? Whatever!
  • Like 2

My condolences to you.

Bar closures are Thai culture ? smile.png

I think you fit comfortably into csolgosz's self-righteous group.

Haha - the bars that don't close because they have paid heavy bribes to the cops OR are owned by Thai cops understand Thai culture

Sorry, I don't need to do that with a work permit. Thai culture??? <deleted> is that? The certificate I have that I have done a Thai Cultural Course? Oh, making som tum, doing a pathetic litle finger-bending dance, singing Loy Kratong and believing that most Thai girls are conservative little innocents, and don't sell their bodies for sex? Whatever!

Well said thingumybob,

Most of these bleating on about respecting "Thai Culture" don't seem to realise that most Thai men (and some women) will probably spend the 3 days of the funeral getting drunk and enjoying the break.

• Like 1

Agreed, quite right, but that's a different context from royal-style names and a different "na" ;-)

Ka pun?? ;-)

This page is good: http://www.thai-blog...nciation-guide/

Generally the problem is that Thais thought the best way to transliterate was letter by letter, rather than phonetically.

Edited by csolgosz

Well said thingumybob,

Most of these bleating on about respecting "Thai Culture" don't seem to realise that most Thai men (and some women) will probably spend the 3 days of the funeral getting drunk and enjoying the break.

yep, and British culture is about binge drinking and hooliganism and French culture is about being a snail and cheese eating surrender monkey and German culture is about beer drinking and invading France every few decades

• Like 1

In reply to Hellodolly's post: (can't work the quote marks correctly)

So now you want the Thais to have the same values as the Brits. You are forgetting that Thailand was not one of the countries raped by Brittan. So it is not likely to happen.

I personally don't care what country I am in if I don't want to conform to their culture and traditions I will leave not find some faceless board to call them down on.

It is nothing to do with conforming but simply that the whole thing has the threat of LM in the background. Of course you are welcome to your views and to do as you wish whatever that might be! I personally don't want Thais to do anything just pointing out they don't have freedom of choice in this matter, unless of course there is no LM and this is just a request as opposed to an oxymoron for an order.

Ka pun?? ;-)

This page is good: http://www.thai-blog...nciation-guide/

Generally the problem is that Thais thought the best way to transliterate was letter by letter, rather than phonetically.

Thai has many pitfalls, my stop on the 516 bus route is called Bang Kruey, But when I say this I get strange looks. Eventually a Thai explained that Kruey with a "K" sound mean banana or in slang a penis. I have to say the K as a G, "Gluey" then there are no problems.

On a similar not an Israeli friend visiting my daughter raised our eyebrows by announcing after a shopping trip that she was naked, we eventually worked out she meant knackered.

I asked my Tilac, who is a cashier/bartender at a local pub, whether they would be closed. She asked me why and I explained that it was due to the funeral of HRH Princess Bejaratana. Her response was "who?" This is not that big of a deal for most Thais!

• Like 1

That is three excellent days of violence-free and sensible days to sit down and do something productive. Like spend time with family, do some gardening, wash your car, read a novel, etc. Basically things that party goers don't do on a regular basis, this is the chance.

This is an interesting thread due to the points of view that are brought out....

1. The hard drinking sexpat ===== " This is outrageous, how dare they close the bars for three days. What will I do ??"

2. The rose colored glasses upcountry guys===== " This is Thai culture !!!! So to continue down the path of Thai-ness, you must follow along with whatever custom they choose to do. If you do not like it, get on a jet and go back to your home country"

3. The bitter long term expat====" Another holiday ?? In a country that already has the most holidays in the world ?? What about all the business owners that will be losing money? These Thais need to get with the program, or Cambodia, Burma, and Vietnam will leave them in the dust. "

4. The Thai people I spoke to==== " Which Princess? "

5. Me===== I will just roll this three day holiday into my Songkran one week avoidance, and spend 10 days at home watching movies and posting on TV.... :-)

• Like 2