Corruption In Thailand

wildorchid

Some of you say we as foreigners cannot do anything about it. What if there was a website for people (Thai and foreigners alike) to report corruption? To post videos, recordings, and stories about instances of corruption (spy cams may become useful)? It could be a great start.

a great way to get thrown out of the country or killed too for operating such a site ........

...which is why I haven't set it up by myself. What if the site is operated anonymously on a foreign server?

They did start a website like this in India and it's been effective.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you say we as foreigners cannot do anything about it. What if there was a website for people (Thai and foreigners alike) to report corruption? To post videos, recordings, and stories about instances of corruption (spy cams may become useful)? It could be a great start.

a great way to get thrown out of the country or killed too for operating such a site ........

...which is why I haven't set it up by myself. What if the site is operated anonymously on a foreign server?

They did start a website like this in India and it's been effective.

Good idea. It takes some balls though. Must not be in Thailand

in thailand big brother would ban a site like that as soon as theyre aware of its existence

there is only a handful of isps so it would be simple to add it to the list of sites that cant be viewed from a thai ip address

also ,i would not upload a video of myself being harrassed by corrupt police if i was still in thailand or ever intended to come back

or even had family here or anything else i cared about

just too dangerous ........

on a sidenote... most participants in this thread have no idea what corruption is. reason: the ridiculous 100 or 200 Baht a traffic cop might ask are chewed ad nauseam over and over again. i wish the anti corruption warriors have the opportunity to spend a few years in "black" Africa as a CEO or project manager and learn first hand what real corruption looks and feels like.

on a sidenote... most participants in this thread have no idea what corruption is. reason: the ridiculous 100 or 200 Baht a traffic cop might ask are chewed ad nauseam over and over again. i wish the anti corruption warriors have the opportunity to spend a few years in "black" Africa as a CEO or project manager and learn first hand what real corruption looks and feels like.

That's a really rather silly post merely reiterating my point that most of the posters on this thread and on this forum in particular, only experience of corruption in Thailand, not black Africa (ye gods), are petty motoring offences.

Let's here from some of the buggers who've bribed police/prosecutors/land/immigration officials to let them, in some cases, literally get away with grand larceny (very prevalent on Phuket for instance), drug dealing/smuggling or being allowed to throw up architectural aberrations such as the Godawful 'Conrad' on Samui.

No? Thought not. And I know some of you read this forum ...

That's a really rather silly post merely reiterating my point that most of the posters on this thread and on this forum in particular, only experience of corruption in Thailand, not black Africa (ye gods), are petty motoring offences.

Let's here from some of the buggers who've bribed police/prosecutors/land/immigration officials to let them, in some cases, literally get away with grand larceny (very prevalent on Phuket for instance), drug dealing/smuggling or being allowed to throw up architectural aberrations such as the Godawful 'Conrad' on Samui.

No? Thought not. And I know some of you read this forum ...

If I threw up an architectural aberation I would be tempted to seriously consider changing my diet or my drinking

SC

corruption is fine by almost everyone it seems as long as THEY benefit from it. BUT when THEY are the victims and the perpetrator (depending on whose got the most money to pay off the cops) gets off scott free, they squeal like stuffed pigs and cry foul boo hoo poor victims. It's called hypocrisy.

corruption is fine by almost everyone it seems as long as THEY benefit from it. BUT when THEY are the victims and the perpetrator (depending on whose got the most money to pay off the cops) gets off scott free, they squeal like stuffed pigs and cry foul boo hoo poor victims. It's called hypocrisy.

You make a mistake by comparing yourself with the rest of the world. There is just a few that don't care about justice end they usually end up behind bars or get filthy rich.

You make a mistake by comparing yourself with the rest of the world. There is just a few that don't care about justice end they usually end up behind bars or get filthy rich.

Quite right . . . our business could be substantially better, in terms of income and projects, but we don't bribe or pay 'facilitation fees' as a rule.

Never have, never will. There is enough business out there to keep us busy without having to resort to this kind of crap . . . and we don't owe anyone anything - which is what will coma back and bite you in the arse one day.

If you want to mess with corrupt cops, military and pollies - go for it, but you'd be a really stupid person to do it

Lie with dogs, wake with fleas

Good try pal, but I'm probably the least corrupt person I know. Clearly you were not astute enough to see through my sarcasm. To spell it out...corruption would not exist if most people were against it, or had the guts to stamp it out. Got it now? Just pointing out what I see as human nature in general...especially in this part of the world. The evidence IS overwhelming!

Edited by barky

Good try pal, but I'm probably the least corrupt person I know. Clearly you were not astute enough to see through my sarcasm. To spell it out...corruption would not exist if most people were against it, or had the guts to stamp it out. Got it now?

Pal? You call yourself one of the least corrupt people you know? cheesy.gifclap2.gif Excellent . . .

I think you will find that most people ARE against it, yet don't have the wherewithal to do anything

Got it now? giggle.gif

Good try pal, but I'm probably the least corrupt person I know. Clearly you were not astute enough to see through my sarcasm. To spell it out...corruption would not exist if most people were against it, or had the guts to stamp it out. Got it now? Just pointing out what I see as human nature in general...especially in this part of the world. The evidence IS overwhelming!

You said in previous post that "corruption is fine by almost everyone". I took for granted you include yourself to this group.

Your totally wrong about the evidence. Just the fact that corruption exist is not an evidence that most people are doing it or thinks is OK.

Car theft is very common, there is evidence for this fact. However I am convinced that it is not OK with most people. Same with corruption.

Good try pal, but I'm probably the least corrupt person I know. Clearly you were not astute enough to see through my sarcasm. To spell it out...corruption would not exist if most people were against it, or had the guts to stamp it out. Got it now?

Pal? You call yourself one of the least corrupt people you know? cheesy.gifclap2.gif Excellent . . .

I think you will find that most people ARE against it, yet don't have the wherewithal to do anything

Got it now? giggle.gif

Oh holier than thou, and under certain circumstances, you can't be bought ? LOL and no childish smiley icons needed by me.

Well, Thais can do corruption free work, but usually it isn't in Thailand. Some of the Thai embassies and consulates abroad are very strict about what their employees can do (and they stick by it). It seems to be the ones that are farther away from Thailand that have these strict rules in place.

In fact, when we have questions about papers, we sometimes call the embassy in the country where we were living before. Yes, they are removed, but they usually know the proper fees for things. Of course, on the ground in Thailand, they will not say this, but the knowledge can save you money and possibly help you walk away having paid the proper fee.

Well, Thais can do corruption free work, but usually it isn't in Thailand. Some of the Thai embassies and consulates abroad are very strict about what their employees can do (and they stick by it). It seems to be the ones that are farther away from Thailand that have these strict rules in place.

In fact, when we have questions about papers, we sometimes call the embassy in the country where we were living before. Yes, they are removed, but they usually know the proper fees for things. Of course, on the ground in Thailand, they will not say this, but the knowledge can save you money and possibly help you walk away having paid the proper fee.

ive never seen any corruption in the thai embassy in Singapore

all documents are stamped without bribes even been suggested

my friend had to get a document done in a certain thai immigration recently

and it cost 1000 or he was going to have to come back on a differnt day

and pick it up :D (he lives a few hours drive from this place so coming back on another day was impossible )

a 1000 admin fee

I don´t think it´s strange to see some people here support the corruption in Thailand. Probably have sth to gain on it themselves, like people from the only country that has a free trade agreement with Thailand.

The problem with Thailand isn´t just the politicians and the dirty cops, it´s guys with guns that are the biggest problem but that won´t change until Thais themselves do a soul search and start thinking about their kids and their grandkids and not just themselves. U need to change the whole educational system and that won´t be easy because Uncle Poo Yai is watching but if more and more dare to do that then there could be a change. Unfortunately most Thais don´t care about these sort of things because in their mind it will always fire back on them like it have done in the past so it´s better to leave it be. It´s this kind of attitude that needs to be changed.

Try to ask a Thai about how some western countries managed to get up from the slums and most answers you will hear are "easy for you to say", "you never experienced such poverty or hard time as Thais do" or the most common remark "You can never understand Thais". All of these are of course excuses for not wanting to change or that a foreigner makes a Thai lose face over something that he or she should have figured out by himself/herself.

It´s the common attitude that needs to be change and understand what it means to fight for your own country, a concept that has been twisted to the point that blame is the solution. Blame everybody, blame foreigners because its them not us that made Thailand to what it is.

• Like 2

Public executions. I think you will see results.

Oh brilliant idea.

There are only two countries in the world that still have public executions - Iran and North Korea. Both are shining examples for Thailand to copy.

Honestly, do people on here ever think things through before they post?

I don´t think it´s strange to see some people here support the corruption in Thailand. Probably have sth to gain on it themselves, like people from the only country that has a free trade agreement with Thailand.

The problem with Thailand isn´t just the politicians and the dirty cops, it´s guys with guns that are the biggest problem but that won´t change until Thais themselves do a soul search and start thinking about their kids and their grandkids and not just themselves. U need to change the whole educational system and that won´t be easy because Uncle Poo Yai is watching but if more and more dare to do that then there could be a change. Unfortunately most Thais don´t care about these sort of things because in their mind it will always fire back on them like it have done in the past so it´s better to leave it be. It´s this kind of attitude that needs to be changed.

Try to ask a Thai about how some western countries managed to get up from the slums and most answers you will hear are "easy for you to say", "you never experienced such poverty or hard time as Thais do" or the most common remark "You can never understand Thais". All of these are of course excuses for not wanting to change or that a foreigner makes a Thai lose face over something that he or she should have figured out by himself/herself.

It´s the common attitude that needs to be change and understand what it means to fight for your own country, a concept that has been twisted to the point that blame is the solution. Blame everybody, blame foreigners because its them not us that made Thailand to what it is.

From my observations,this is the case. MOST Thais loathe the corruption in their country. Yes, some of you will 'state' corruption is endemic/in the blood'. Not true. And the 'Fear Factor' very prevalent, in concert with the massive feudal system here. But make no mistake, the Thais ARE, despite the delusional Pu Yai, have had enough. Times are changing. And I wish them well.

You will never stop corruption in Thailand. If you did, the wages would go up to that of western countries, for all employees of all companies and government people. eg The Police would have to be paid about Bt 100,000 a month instead of Bt 9000 a month. Book everyone legally, then there would be no need to take tea money. Put traffic infringement cameras in all traffic lights and on the side of the highways etc.

This would then effect all the industries that deal in Thailand that have their products made here with cheap labour. They would leave for Vietnam or other cheap manufacturing labour countries. So by doing this you would increase the prices of all demestic products, food and the like. I could guarantee, there would be no Falungs living here as they would be in the same boat as they were in their country.

Bottom line, NOT GONNA HAPPEN.welcomeani.gif to Thailand.

Bullshit. As stated before, corruption within the police force, and every other 'government department' is so not going to stop with a wage hike. They will merely see it as a bonus. Secondly, for the many many ingenue's here. Do try to stop and think (I know, new concept) that do you seriously not have thought the 'govt', have thought of this already? And why it has not happened?

THE FISH STINKS FROM THE HEAD DOWN. Geddit?

Edited by silsburyhill

That (connected) girl that crashed the car into the mini-van that killed the uni students, what ever happened to her. A Thai friend was telling me that it is common knowledge that she is now living it large in the US.
Well if that is true, hope the gal practices safer driving there. Her @ss will be a sling big time pulling that crap there...

I had a cop on a motorcycle chase me through a tollway gate today and pull me over down the road. I hadn't seen a red light as I turned into the expressway entrance -- I was wrong 100%.

Much to my surprise, he let me off with a warning, because I was "khon tangchart". This is one time when I chose not to show off my Thai nationality. Ha!

From my observations,this is the case. MOST Thais loathe the corruption in their country. Yes, some of you will 'state' corruption is endemic/in the blood'. Not true. And the 'Fear Factor' very prevalent, in concert with the massive feudal system here. But make no mistake, the Thais ARE, despite the delusional Pu Yai, have had enough. Times are changing. And I wish them well.

Read that line again. I didn´t say the Thais welcomed corruption though some do but when it comes to doing sth about it they are suddenly stroke by a case of apathy.

The young politicians who either got their education in the west or associate with westerners have a more solid thinking in how they can change Thailand into sth better (Having western thinking about democracy ain´t the same thing as incorporating western democracy)

Unfortunately these people will be bombarded by the poo yai press that they want farangs to take over or sth similar.

Just ask a local, may that be its middle class woman and what she thinks about how foreigners are treated even here in Thailand and you will hear that she said she cant feel too much for them since for example they own 70-90% of Phuket, which is pretty laughable.

The media (controlled by the military in some aspects) and the elite have done their job in invocing xenophobia to prolong their rule because how can the common Thai see anything good with having a bunch of foreigners around when some dont even have for food.

Can anyone tell me how we can stop corruption in thailand?

some people call it corruption, others (like me) call it convenience. why should one stop something that is convenient? huh.png

and others call it 'commission'.

Funny. I heard that word used (with a knowing smile) at the local Governor's Office just yesterday. However you want to snow white dress it up, it's corruption.
  • Like 1

The overriding reason why corruption is so prevalent 'in this part of the world' is because there are no reprecussions.
  • Like 1