Broadband In Bkk

daniel2183

I'm using True cable (Docsis), the 10Mbit plan for 699 baht per month. I have used ADSL before in BKK, but I think Cable is better and more stable.

This plan can be upgraded to 100Mbit, but the price is currently way too expensive. That will change in time though.

But currently True cable is not everywhere available, so it depends where you are going to live.

You usually get what you pay for. It is difficult to say which one is the best, as it largely depends on the area you live in. It's impossible to recommend any of them knowing all of them experience similar problems.

You probably won't have a lot of ISP choices for an ADSL/Cable internet connection as location, location, location will determine what ISP(s) service your area/house/condo/building. Some condo buildings already have agreements with one ISP and that will be your only choice...good or bad. And in some areas the phone lines are owned by one company, say TOT, and only TOT (or one of their limited number of concessionaires) can provide ADSL service over their lines. Thailand does have some cable internet providers but cable is not widespread. Yeap, as mentioned by BB1950, location, location, location......and even through an ISP might be providing excellent service/speed in one location, in another location the same ISP sucks.

With above being said I've had a TOT 2Mb ADSL plan (it sucked), a TOT 4Mb ADSL plan (worked fine), a JINET 4MB plan (a TOT concessionaire on TOT lines...worked fine), a TOT 6Mb ADSL plan (worked fine)....then True installed cable TV & internet in my area (7Mb to 100Mb speeds available) and I switched to a True 20Mb cable plan (works fine). Now where I say certain TOT/JINET plans worked fine I mean for day-to-day browsing, emailing, reliability, etc., they worked fine except they couldn't do streaming video worth a durn. With my True cable 20Mb plan streaming video is no problem and it has been super reliable.

Additionally, all Thai ISP have weakness in their "international bandwidth/download speeds." For international speed expect to get 10 to 25% real world download speed of your plan's advertised Thailand speed. Ex: a 10Mb plan giving you about 2Mb international speed for single-threaded use like in browsing, emailing, video streaming....but if using a download manager/torrent program a person can many times get 10Mb international speed on their 10Mb plan, 20Mb on their 20Mb plan, etc.

Good luck in the move...and remember...location, location, location. TIT