Chalerm Wants Drug Runners Executed Faster

Lite Beer

Within 30 days after the final verdict.

Not sure what is the final verdict.

The way I understand it you can still appeal to the crown for clemency after the final verdict which can take a lot of time (years).

The article is not clear on what consttutes the final verdict and if appeal to the crown is part of it.

Populist sound bites are almost never clear and mostly lack any logic.

Edited by Morakot

I guess this same rule should not apply to cop killers. It is funny that mister tough on crime has a son who is a cop killer. How is that punishment working out for him? Ohh that is right Daddy plays by the double standard rule. There are rules for the non "elites" and "elites".

Nothing better than a hanging to shoot the political star higher.

This is politics and the case for being seen as doing something. Drugs have infected many families around the world.

I wouldn't like to be in the shoes of the ones detained. They probably needed this sale to cover costs if and when busted. This may never happen now.

Same rule applies all around the world: enough money treatment not as harsh.

Well who can argue with that?????

Argue with what? It's meaningless drivel. coffee1.gif

Sorry my sarcasm was lost on you

Not entirely. wink.png

Would have been a shame if the tremendous effort would have been lost!

About all I can add is that I DO SUPPORT the death penalty no mater what

country has it as long as due process is completely carried out till the end

where the accused is definiely found guilty.

Really nice quote by one of those persons whose whole outlook on life is based on theory and not reality.

All life is theory, reality is what happens to other people isn't it.

For your sake, I hope you never have to face some one else's theory of your reality.

If you had been stitched up, framed so to speak, of committing a murder, and all the evidence presented pointed the finger at you, but it wasn't you, would you still be in favour of the death penalty?

If you say yes, you are a liar, if you say no, it's probably best you don't say anything else on this subject.

Well it looks like you're making the decisions for me, the people who get framed for murder are a very small minority and as such are a special case. If you say you wouldn't be happy to pull the switch on people like the Norway gunman or this new movie theatre shooter who showed no sympathy or humanity for their victims then you are a liar too. For all those who support rehabilitation and life sentences, wait till the money runs out, I bet the ones who are opposed to the death penalty are also the whingers who moan when their taxes go up - a bunch of NIMBYs the lot of you.

Just for the people who wear blinkers and don't really see 'the big picture', are we not applying the death sentence anyway when people are denied life saving treatment and operations because vast amounts of money are being diverted to the war on drugs and rehab/life imprisonment for murderers. I bet it's real fun for people dying of a treatable condition because some scum bucket is wasting millions in jail time/appeals/rehab etc.

When caught bang to rights, why not life imprisonment and confiscation of all associated associated criminal gains no chance of parol for 15-20 years.Then only granted if able to advocate the non use of drugs and severe penalties associated with importing/manufacturing it.

Generally either desperate or greedy people run drugs, death penalty carries no weight with the truly desperate the greedy normally use the desperate to run the deed..

At least with a life sentence they can become a living detterent to those that are considering, surly this is more effective in the long run.

Would you recommend that also for Thailand's most harmful drug? Be interesting to see top execs from Seagrams, J.Walker and Absolut and Chang and Singha being hauled off to court for dealing drugs. If you take off your establishmentarianism glasses, you'll see alcoholic drinks are no less debilitating than other recreational drugs.

I have seen and experienced first hand how debilitating Alcohol can be. Having been to far to many a funeral caused by alcohol. Whether it be due to alcoholism itself or the fallout caused by idiots drink driving or suicides caused by drunks abusing there loved ones.

However as the post is about Illegal drugs as seen by the average person (rightly or wrongly) and the speedy use of the death penalty.I have given an opinion.

Maybe you should take off your angry glasses that make you cast ascertions on a person that you have no idea of.

Do I think Alcohol can be as harmful as drugs, read above of course I do.

Do I think your post comes across as arrogant and assumptive Yes again.

Edited by stiggy

About all I can add is that I DO SUPPORT the death penalty no mater what

country has it as long as due process is completely carried out till the end

where the accused is definiely found guilty. As for Chalerm....well....poo...it's

all hypocritical isn't it? As long as his son is a free man that is.

"Definite guilt" - In a perfect world, but aren't there many examples of people that have been found "definitely guilty" , appeals denied and then 20+ years later thanks to new technology been proven innocent. Surely we have not reached the pinnacle of scientific analysis - someone found "definitely guilty" this year could be proven innocent in 20 years. There's always some doubt in every criminal case.

I have seen and experienced first hand how debilitating Alcohol can be. Having been to far to many a funeral caused by alcohol. Whether it be due to alcoholism itself or the fallout caused by idiots drink driving or suicides caused by drunks abusing there loved ones.

However as the post is about Illegal drugs as seen by the average person (rightly or wrongly) and the speedy use of the death penalty.I have given an opinion.

Maybe you should take off your angry glasses that make you cast ascertions on a person that you have no idea of.

Do I think Alcohol can be as harmful as drugs, read above of course I do.

Do I think your post comes across as arrogant and assumptive Yes again.

From what you wrote, it sounds like we agree. Yet, you seem fixated upon wanting to disagree. Roll with it.

Though we both agree alcohol is a drug, and a very harmful one - perhaps what we disagree upon is the glaring hypocracy of a dedicated whiskey drinker declaring war (and advocating swift deaths) on users of all other recreational drugs.

Edited by maidu

Yo everybody,

This is not about Charelm.

This is about drugs and Thailand.

These people are scum and prey off the poor.

We are better off without them !

The people you are talking about are the poor who are employed as mules. Notice how the big fish never get caught.

Can you imagine the embarrassment when that well known face flanked by policemen is paraded on national TV.

We do agree on the alcohol and drugs being harmful, and the hypocrosy of whats happening.

Interesting though is those that advocate drugs usually refer to them as recreational. I understand that term for natural plant based drugs, been around for ever when compared to chemicly produced drugs.

Personally I feel that people should be able to do as they wish with there lives and bodies let Darwins theory take hold, provided it has no effect on the rest of the populace.A guy off his nut on a mattress poses little threat compared to a raving drunk behind a wheel or armed with a glass.

In much the same way a dad having a few beers at a BBQ poses little threat.When compared to a yabaa head breaking in at night armed when your sleeping to get cash to score.(Something else I have first hand experience of only last month)

So my question is if Alcohol is so bad, how can drugs be recreational?

people who support the war on drugs are a huge part of the drug problem.

Logically, they would be, wouldn't they? People wholly disinterested or ignorant of the drug problem are also a huge part of the drug problem. ermm.gif

ok you explain to me how people wholly disinterested or ignorant of the drug problem are also a huge part of the drug problem?

and i'll explain what i mean,

that people who support the war on drugs are actively a huge part of the drug problem.

because the war on drugs itself is a huge part of the drug problem.

and it's people who support the war on drugs, that keep it existing.

so let's see out of the groups we mentioned, which are a bigger part of the problem.

Edited by nurofiend

Thanks for the clarification. Nothing new there.

I don't see how you would quantify which are the greater part of the problem, unless you agree on what the problem is.

The old "drugs aren't a problem", "drugs are good" argument is self-serving BS, imho.

Anyway, this issue has done the rounds of TV several times already, and I will not debate it again with you in this thread.mfr_closed1.gif

The OP focuses on fast-track executions for "drug runners". Running illegal drugs is currently an illegal activity. Whether that ever changes is problematic. I oppose capital punishment as a matter of principle.

'Recreational drugs' means drugs done for fun or spiritual/psyche heightening - as opposed to drugs taken for medicine. Alcoholic drugs drinks fit with both definitions. Some ganja smokers would say their drug of choice is medicinal, in the sense it heightens their mental well-being. Plus, there are actual physical ailments that certain drugs help with. Heroin is illegal, though drugs nearly identical to heroin are available via prescription for various ailments.

I've said this before, but it's imperative that law makers find out what they're dealing with. Chalerm and his ilk need to get beyond the knee jerk reactions to drugs that were instigated by people like Anslinger (J.Edgar Hoover's lover who was a morphine junkie, and was key in criminalized ganga and hemp). Thai drug laws are note-for-note like U.S. drug laws. In other words, Thais zombie-like embrace the laws of a country half a world away.

All drugs should be legal. It's one of the few things that arch-conservatives and bleeding heart liberals agree upon. There are always going to be screwballs and addictive-types among us. They can get counseling instead of being thrown in jail. If they beat people up (as alcoholics sometimes do), or otherwise break the law, then convict them and throw them in jail. Otherwise, let's deal with problem behavior (fueled by legal or illegal drugs) as we would deal with people who have dire problems. As opposed to locking people up who might have a fleeting or v. small involvement with some non-mainstream drug. Example: locking up dozens of thai women for long jail terms, because they brought some drugs in to HK for some African hustler. Those chicks shouldn't be locked up. They should be reprimanded and sent home. The current drug laws are criminalizing vast segments of society unnecessarily. It's cruel.