Anyone Had A Britsh Guy Ring Them Saying He Will Make You 30% Returns In 6 Months?

WebBangkok

Anyone here get a strange phone call from a British guy offering HUGE returns? My mate was called and so was I. So just warning of a potential scam going on.

Last week he called me saying write "gold something" down on a peice of paper.

I wasnt really listening to him, but he goes on about how he can make me a lot of money, blah blah blah.

He GUARANTEES 30% to 50% return in 6 months if I give him 1,000,000 baht

I told him its too good to be true and not interested. he was stunned how I am refusing his amazing offer, he kept trying to get me involved, but after I just got sick of him and hung up on him.

Anyone else receive this call? I know one other person who has, its so obvious that it's a scam. How can he have the balls and ring people with such silly offers?

Carpet baggers - As HD suggests ask where they got your number, the never ever have an answer for that question.

Oh, they do sometimes have an answer,when I asked how you got my Ex Directory number? he replied "Its a random,computer generated number" So I asked: what's the name of the program you are using? it was at that point he hung up.

Warn the guy that the call is being recorded, and ask for a meet. Surprising how many good deals I lose by doing that.

Ask him to send through a copy of his business registration and work permit.

biggrin.png

Most probably someone you know gave him your number, that is one of the ways they operate.

When I lived in BKK in the 90's I was forever being contacted by "independent financial advisors " used to take delight in setting up a meeting on a friday afternoon somewhere in the middle of nowhere, make it a beleivable address, but wrong house number, when they phone and can't find, tell them you are delayed at work and reschedule for Sunday morning at 7 AM, when they phone again tell them you are just finishing golf practice and will be there shortly, please wait, they will phone again to check where you are. See how long you can get them to wait, BUT they will get the message eventually

• Like 1

Can you remember the name of the company? Also did you have someone call you a few weeks ago from the same company just to "check they've got your correct contact details"?

And did you also receive a glossy brochure from this company?

These are the signs of a boiler room scam.

Seriously though, how do these freaks get your number? i.e. if you use a pay as you go sim like a lot of expats do here you don't register so that means someone has given them your number. It can't be random number punching in Thailand and be lucky enough to get an expat.

Seriously though, how do these freaks get your number? i.e. if you use a pay as you go sim like a lot of expats do here you don't register so that means someone has given them your number. It can't be random number punching in Thailand and be lucky enough to get an expat.

Is your mobile phone number on your business card? On your website? Two things often overlooked!

What these scammers often do is to do a web search for companies in their area (or the area that they are targetting; nothing to say that this call had to come from Thailand). It is surprising the information given on websites. A good hint for business related sites is to only give one contact email address, and not all individual's information.

Edit: If the OP received the phonecall on his mobile, what was the number? If it was No Number, it is another good indication of a scam. Be aware that VOIP and Skype-like services will often give the No Number as well

Warn the guy that the call is being recorded, and ask for a meet. Surprising how many good deals I lose by doing that.

Ask him to send through a copy of his business registration and work permit.

Site of & copy of passport & a (covert?) mugshot would be a must, too. Not that i'd fall for anything as obvious as the scenario outlined here.

Edited by evadgib

He GUARANTEES 30% to 50% return in 6 months if I give him 1,000,000 baht

a fair deal. he takes a million and returns 50%. why scam? huh.png

Where is the laughter button? Good call, Naam. Isn't that how MOST businesses work in Thailand?

OP...I'm not British, I'm Scottish.

Oh and another thing....I warned you not to tell anyone didn't I?

We know where you live....

tongue.png etc..etc...

Sorry mate, You are British

No he's not, l am English and he is Scottish. The foreigners are called British eh. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

What scam? Don't all of the professional Forex/currency trader dudes living in Thailand make at least 50% returns? They are also the guys in the boiler rooms in Bangkok after they get tired or booted from "teaching" English. It can't be a scam .... they're not Nigerian or Romanian. A fellow Brit wouldn't cheat another Brit ... would he?

Should point out that there's a difference between what the OP seems to be describing, a guy phoning you out of the blue with a too good to be true stocks & shares deal, and cold calls from financial advisers. The latter, while they can be annoying, are at least from "proper" companies who are merely trying to sell you financial products. If you went ahead and bought something that these guys are selling, you would usually end up with a legitimate, legal finance product, albeit one that you may not really need. The boiler room scams, on the other hand, are a complete scam and nothing more.

Yeah I wonder how he got my number, I think he got my office and mobile number as he tried to get me a few times but got my mobile.

I think he might of just been to networking events and getting people's business cards.

Not sure really, but it was funny how he was amazed I didnt want to make so much money with him. lol I am sure its probably not the last call I will get from him, next time it will be for something else I bet.

I was nearly scammed in Britain by a boiler room scam. I was offered shares in a developing company. I checked the company out and thought it would be worth a £1500 chance, the share certificate came through I got in touch with the company and everyone was happy.

Around a week after I received the certificate this "investment company" got in touch again, however this time asking me to invest £40,000. Alarm bells rang and after wasting their time for an hour an apparent American professor came on the phone claiming this new company had found a cure for AIDS.

After laughing at him I told him to f off, very believable company though as their website was very professional and their brochure was well made.

One month after, the website was gone and contact phone numbers dead. I just wonder how many do fall for it, 1 sucker every week wouldn't be a bad earner.

Anyway I still have my shares and they are doing well. P.S. I have lived in Scotland before for a long time. As an English man I am now officially British.

OP...I'm not British, I'm Scottish.

Oh and another thing....I warned you not to tell anyone didn't I?

We know where you live....

tongue.png etc..etc...

Sorry mate, You are British

Resist.......resist.........

theblether must resist.........grrrrrrr grrrrrr

resist........ReSiST!!!!!

grrrrrr.............how to upset theblether in 5 little words angry.png

I was nearly scammed in Britain by a boiler room scam. I was offered shares in a developing company. I checked the company out and thought it would be worth a £1500 chance, the share certificate came through I got in touch with the company and everyone was happy.

Around a week after I received the certificate this "investment company" got in touch again, however this time asking me to invest £40,000. Alarm bells rang and after wasting their time for an hour an apparent American professor came on the phone claiming this new company had found a cure for AIDS.

After laughing at him I told him to f off, very believable company though as their website was very professional and their brochure was well made.

One month after, the website was gone and contact phone numbers dead. I just wonder how many do fall for it, 1 sucker every week wouldn't be a bad earner.

Anyway I still have my shares and they are doing well. P.S. I have lived in Scotland before for a long time. As an English man I am now officially British.

angry.png