Work Permit...

Background Info. Englishman (not me) 58 yo. here on a non-imm o extension. Married to Thai National. Wife owns and runs a furniture shop in Isaan. He is a qualified carpenter/cabinet maker/french polisher (in English traditional furniture). The shop is five levels and has accomadation on the top 3 floors. There are 9 Thai employees, of which 2 are furniture assemblers cum maintenance men cum jack of all trades. Although he is very busy with day to day activities (bike riding/touring/ swimming/looking after the kids) He is getting a bit bored mentally.

What he wants to do is pass on his aquired traditional woodworking skills onto the two Thai guys mentioned before. However, he is concerned that this tutelage could be seen as a violation of his non-o extension. He obviously would not be getting any payment for this activity.

Questions Could he apply for a work permit using his current non-o extension? If so, under what category? Would "teaching traditional woodwork" even be considered? What documentation would be required? What is the procedure and where?

Many thanks for any help info. forthcomming :o

Well, assuming his non-o isn't of the retirement kind - that part wouldn't be a problem. However, he'll need som proper company or Thai limited Patnership to sponsor the WP. The work-description as such sounds promising, when and if he finds a proper WP-sponsor.

Hes on the top levels of a furniture shop in Issan, Dont think he will get much grief from the local plod.

He can just 'practice' his woodworking skills, whilst unknowingly being spied upon by the Thai workers.

Really if hes helping them better themselves, and as long as hes not churning pieces out himself, I cant see a problem.

Hes on the top levels of a furniture shop in Issan, Dont think he will get much grief from the local plod.

He can just 'practice' his woodworking skills, whilst unknowingly being spied upon by the Thai workers.

Really if hes helping them better themselves, and as long as hes not churning pieces out himself, I cant see a problem.

And neither can I. But it would be his arse in a sling, not mine, if he did get caught. And that is why he wants to do it by the book :o

Carpentry is on the banned list of occupations..so he won't get a work permit to do it. :o

Yeah he will be fine untill someone takes a disliking to him, then there will be trouble. :D

Work even unpaid work needs work permit...remember the Tsunami volunteers ??

Hey maybe I'm just paraniod :D

Carpentry is on the banned list of occupations..so he won't get a work permit to do it.   :o

Yeah he will be fine untill someone takes a disliking to him, then there will be trouble. :D

Work even unpaid work needs work permit...remember the Tsunami volunteers ??

Hey maybe I'm just paraniod :D

He wouldnt apply for a work permit to preform carpentry. It would be worded along the lines of....."providing tutelage to Thais employed by my wife in the art of traditional English......." But thanks for the comments :D

Although, carpentry is on the banned list of occupations, the teaching edge might work out - but I wouldn't know. Lets assume that part were OK, then I wouldn't beforehand consider it impossible to legalize matters --- provided there's proper capital avaiable to form a Thai Limited Company between him and his wife to run the wood-shop.

Although, carpentry is on the banned list of occupations, the teaching edge might work out - but I wouldn't know. Lets assume that part were OK, then I wouldn't beforehand consider it impossible to legalize matters --- provided there's proper capital avaiable to form a Thai Limited Company between him and his wife to run the wood-shop.

Thanks Rishi. So far so good. But what I need now is someone to explain the procedue of obtaining a WP. I have No idea what available capital / Thai ltd co. have to do with it, so I really need someone to spell it all out for me. :o

so I really need someone to spell it all out for me. :o

I thought you were enquiring on behalf of a third party.

The procedures for setting up a company are well documented in this website but frankly you would need to employ a law firm. Your chance of obtaining a WP is NIL.

Your chance of being detected of working without a WP, or if you were of anyone giving two hoots is NIL. You are giving Thais employment. You are not doing anyone out of a job.

so I really need someone to spell it all out for me. :D

I thought you were enquiring on behalf of a third party.

Englishman (not me) 58 yo. here on a non-imm o extension.

The procedures for setting up a company are well documented in this website but frankly you would need to employ a law firm.

Why? I am sure many people have done it on their own

Your chance of obtaining a WP is NIL.

What is your rational reasoning behind that? Why would he have NO chance if he was going to educate HIS wifes Thai workers?

Your chance of being detected of working without a WP, or if you were of anyone giving two hoots is NIL.

Try telling that to anyone who HAS been caught out and no longer has the pleasure of living in, or returning to, Thailand. And as a friend, I commend him for trying to do the right thing in both, trying to do it by the book and trying to help these guys.

You are giving Thais employment. You are not doing anyone out of a job.

He is NOT giving Thais employment, he is passing on a fast fading art that may enable these guys to better their job prospects in the future.

Constructive comments appreciated. Crap I can do without. :o

You'd make things easier for lopburi by answering this essential question (so he doesn't have to do it): does your friend have a 'non-o retirement extension-of-stay' or a 'non-o spouse support extension-of-stay'?

The reason is that - regardless of everything else - your friend can't get a WP on basis of a retirement extension-of-stay. If his non-o if of any other category, then that part is OK.

The question of capital, company etc. enters into the picture because, one can only get a WP on behalf of some employer, that needs to fulfill a set of rules. If one can't find a such existing employer, one has to "create" one. The details about how to do this is a long story, but essentially - lack of money is the only unsurmountable hindrance.

If the extension-of-stay part is OK and the employer part is OK, what remains is to figure out a WP-description that satisfies the officials evaluating the WP-application. That, I wouldn't even try to guess about.

"You'd make things easier for lopburi by answering this essential question (so he doesn't have to do it): does your friend have a 'non-o retirement extension-of-stay' or a 'non-o spouse support extension-of-stay'?"

Rushi. Frim my Original Post "here on a non-imm o extension. Married to Thai National. " :o

And for your further information, thank you :D

The sponsors are your best bet for good information as it will be in the gray area and a work permit would have to be worded right. I am not sure if the expert type method will fly without documented (higher education type) evidence but Sunbelt or Indo-Siam would be able to provide better advise. I have never been involved in work permits so can only echo what those with more experience say.

The sponsors are your best bet for good information as it will be in the gray area and a work permit would have to be worded right.  I am not sure if the expert type method will fly without documented (higher education type) evidence but Sunbelt or Indo-Siam would be able to provide better advise.  I have never been involved in work permits so can only echo what those with more experience say.

Thanks Lop. I await with bated breath :o