Wedding Ring Options - Must It Be Gold?

johnlk

Hi all,

we are hoping to have platinum rings for our up-coming marriage, but do any of the gold shops sell anything other than gold?

We don't like the colour of gold, silver is not really an option, and my brother has talked us out of white gold, so platinum is now our preferred choice.

If I can find out for sure in advance, it could give me the chance to purchase here in the UK before my return to Thailand.

Thanks.

try the upmarket places in Paragon, Gaysorn.

There is a shopping area down from Erawan, name eludes me at the moment, got my rings done there, head from the shrine towards the next BTS station before Sala Daeng and it is on your left.

Found the name of the shopping area

Peninsula Plaza

Edited by beano2274

Thanks beano, but when you say you got your rings done there, does that mean they were made to measure, or pre-ordered?

I'll be returning on the 9th April, and we are due to marry on the 26th, in her village near Ubon so time is against us..

I was hoping we could buy local to her, as I will only be in Bangkok on my arrival doing my affirmation (thanks for your reply on that thread too) and I was planning to do that alone then head straight to her after.

It's sounding like it isn't widely available.

I had them measured and done, but there was a time difference between the measurement and picking them up. You could get them pre-ordered if you know the Thai sizes, but I preferred to try them on to make 100% sure they were okay.

The shop I got them from begins with a B, cannot remember it's name though, got discount as done through a family contact.

Edited by beano2274

I asked my fiancee if she would prefer yellow or white gold, and she immediately responded white gold, which surprised me. I really thought her answer would be yellow gold. I am currently having the ring made here in the states. Her finger size is so small that having a ring made was really my only option. Her US equivalant size is 2 1/2, her Thai measurements were .535 inches or 13.5mm. I had her check it at two different jewelers. I looked at platinum rings because I really liked the weight of platinum, but because of the cost difference between platinum and 18k gold, I decided to put the extra money into a better grade and larger diamond.

Edited by landslide

I ordered my platinum wedding ring for my fiance online on a site called gemvara. She wanted platinum not white gold because you have to maintain whitegold all the time. If your on a budget get a palladium ring. In the end she got platinum and I got paladium. We added our thai lucky gems in the wedding band. Just don't send the rings direct to thailand customs will charge you a fortune. I sent my rings to a packaging forwarding company and put them as silver so there was no customs duty. I was able to get size 3 1/2 us even though it is smaller than all selectable sizes and even got it inscribed on the inside with "love you always in thai". I think getting a custom ring has much more meaning that buying a generic ring at a jewelry shop.

I think younger generation thai seem to be interested in more western styles and we had a hard time explain this. Her parents were happy when they found out that the value is worth much more and that because I made it custom it showed I cared alot for their daughter.

Wedding rings is not a Thai custom.

The only value is in Thai gold, as they can sell that in a pinch.

But if you want to give her some gold might as well get the right type.

I didn't buy my wife a ring, I wear a silver ring from a previous relationship.

We didn't have a village wedding either, just the Amphur office.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Correct, most Thais do not wear a wedding ring except for a few "westernized" women.

Just to say that I've bought a "his and hers" pair of 950 Platinum "D"-shaped wedding bands here in the UK, which have been ordered and delivered to my home already.

Time was running out and settling for gold just because it is plentiful there wasn't an option.

I sent her some photos of rings I had seen online, and fortunately she liked a plain and simple wedding band, with no stone or intricate design.

This was because she "didn't want to lose it when I take it off to do my chores".

Ok, so it isn't custom made, or fancy or gold, but it ticks all of the other boxes.

Now we wait to hear the comments and gossip in the village when they see she has only "silver"........

• 3 weeks later...

When my girlfriend saw my white gold ring she asked why I liked cheap silver :)

The dam_n thing was worth over a grand.

I have learned that most Thais only like yellow gold and even if they like white or platinum they wont wear it as they think others will see them as cheap.

Correct, most Thais do not wear a wedding ring except for a few "westernized" women.

Not in my experience. I know many Thais, men and women, that wear wedding rings.

If you go to the news section right now you can see a picture of Democrat MP Nutt Bantadtan wearing his wedding band, and I'm certain he's not a "westernized" woman. Abhisit also wears a wedding ring, pretty sure he's not a westernised woman either.

Recent pictures in The Nation of Apirak Kosayodhin, Wasant Meewongse, etc. all show them wearing wedding rings. Also, none of them appear to be wearing gold wedding rings...

If you go to the news section right now you can see a picture of Democrat MP Nutt Bantadtan wearing his wedding band, and I'm certain he's not a "westernized" woman. Abhisit also wears a wedding ring, pretty sure he's not a westernised woman either.

All attended schools in the west, it's what the rich do, hence westernized.

All attended schools in the west, it's what the rich do, hence westernized.

So, first the assumption was that only Westernised Thai women wear wedding bands, and now the assumption is only Thais that studied abroad wear wedding bands?

Jermmas Chuenglertsiri (Democrat MP) is not Western educated (BA in Thailand; MA in Thailand) and wears a weddding band.

And does getting a post-graduate degree aborad automactically make you Westernised? I would say no, not all the time.

Nutt Bantadtan = BA in Thailand; Postgraduate Diploma in England

Apirak Kosayodhin = BSc in Thailand; MBA in Thailand; Certificate in USA

I guess the assumption now would be that only educated Thais wear wedding bands? Or maybe only Thai Democrat MPs? rolleyes.gif

..... were they wearing the rings to satisfy westernized partners?

Well, I could come up with numerous assumptions about an entire race of people like most people on TV do, but I am not one for hasty generalisations.

MY GF wants platinum - she likes silver and white jewellery. Moreover, she has big concern that yellow gold will be ripped off her person.

Rings are western convention sure. If given in Thailand usually by Chinese but more Thai women are sporting rings (what woman doesn't like jewellery). My THAI GF really wants a ring - and it is about a ring and a symbol, not about money and stones.

We will get her a Platinum ring at Costco - simple band. That is all she wants. Me, maybe titanium.

• 3 weeks later...

Screw the diamondMoissanite is where it is at. The money not wasted on a clever marketing campaign by the diamond industry is money you can invest in your wives future. Mine loves her stone and the ring makers could not even tell. They got super pissed when I told them they were wrong it was not a high quality diamond <More fire than a diamond and 9.5H M clarity>. Now my future wife has a decent sum to buy herself a small shop No Sinsot No gold No diamond. I gain 5 Rai that I can't use but it beats the 100,000's of baht one can waste of stupid crap like diamonds and paying someones family for you to take care of their daughter. That is when you know you got a keeper is when they are practical about finance.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so as my wife to be will be coming to my country soon can someone help with a problem.

I know Thais only like 23ct gold but it's too soft for a good engagement ring and I want her to have a traditional diamond style to show when she is here. Do I bother getting a 9 or 18 ct ring with diamond or will her mates just think cheap Charlie. Ultimately it's as expensive for the lower carat gold with a nice diamond as it is for Thai gold on its in so I don't know what to do.

i think you will find Thais like 23 carat gold for the resale value. 9/18 carat gold holds minimal resale value in Thailand. Why not ask her if she would prefer 18 carat with a diamond. Just a personal opinion but I believe 9 carat gold has a poor visual presentation.

i think you will find Thais like 23 carat gold for the resale value. 9/18 carat gold holds minimal resale value in Thailand. Why not ask her if she would prefer 18 carat with a diamond. Just a personal opinion but I believe 9 carat gold has a poor visual presentation.

Resale value is not an issue because if she ever tries to resell it I will have her back on a plane to Thailand without it or a suitcase :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When my girlfriend saw my white gold ring she asked why I liked cheap silver smile.png

The dam_n thing was worth over a grand.

I have learned that most Thais only like yellow gold and even if they like white or platinum they wont wear it as they think others will see them as cheap.

Not at all if you put a half carat diamond on it.

Latest update

I just got engaged and it turned out that my risk on getting her an 18k gold ring with diamond was a good risk.

She was delighted and in tears. I told her I was stressing about surprising her and about my concerns that 23k gold was too soft to hold a diamond and would wear away quickly.

She laughed and said she agreed and it seems all her friends and family love it too.

She is the talk of the villiage.