Does Anyone Know......

KIWIBATCH

I have read all the posts here now, up until page 8 ...........boy do I regret that.

That time will never come back..............sad.png

Some posters really have too much time on their hands....and nothing much else going on, it seems.

Here for my opinion then (based on the so-called witness accounts posted here, be they true/correct or not, I don't know):

- the farang should have listened/reasoned more with the security guard, not turn around and head for the turnstyles after agruing

he wasn't stopped twice before, so don't try it now. He seems to live here, so he should know better: staying calm and smile will get

you further with a Thai than starting to shout; that's the Thai way (and this is an incident in Bangkok, Thailand)

Also, you don't see a Thai arguing with a police officer that he wasn't stopped the last 5 days in a row when he was not wearing

a helmet while driving a motor cycle past that same officer, "so why are you stopping me today?".

- the security guard should not have used the metal detector, period. That would have only be justifiable if the farang had gotten

physical with him, which doesn't appear to have happened.

Assuming the farang did actually get hit twice (the vid is low quality, but you can clearly see blood, so he did get hit good),

he stayed relatively cool. I'm sure plenty of others would have been on the floor with the security guard already.

To conclude: the security guard was most out of line.

But the farang could have avoided it all by taking a taxi, ditching half of the ballons, or letting the air out of the ballons and taking them all with him.

(It's my opinion, not a directive)

I've just read your reply and I wish I can get the 43 seconds of my life back. saai.gif

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit more from some Thai sources:

The injured gent's name is John Behan, an Irish teacher at an international school in BKK. The other farang in the video is a colleague. His Thai wife wasn't there, but rushed to the station on being informed by phone of what happened. She apparently gives her account on the BTS website message board under the name 'Zvezdy' in a thread entitled 'What Happened at the Phrom Phong BTS station at 20:30?'.

She went down to see the CCTV footage at the BTS headquarters with her family and says her husband was assaulted by security and staff at the station after he was told he could only take one balloon with him, so he threw some away in a bin and kicked it over. The security and staff then rushed in and assaulted him.

However, there's another female Thai witness on the thread who posts he was hit by the guards when he pushed a female Thai security guard and made as if to assault her further. She said he was wild and out of control.

He was taken to hospital and his 7 year-old daughter, her shirt stained with his blood, was very upset as you might imagine having been a witness to it all.

There was also someone posting up under the name nooduan, presumably working for BTS, and claiming he didn't have a valid ticket as well, but his wife denies this.

http://www.bts.co.th....aspx?id=503881

Also more here:

http://news.mthai.co...ews/158492.html

And at Pantip where 'Zvezdy' again posts up asking for any one with pics who filmed the incident to submit them as evidence.

http://www.pantip.co.../F11858694.html

Edited by katana
  • Like 1

I have read all the posts here now, up until page 8 ...........boy do I regret that.

Some posters really have too much time on their hands....and nothing much else going on, it seems.

Here for my opinion then (based on the so-called witness accounts posted here, be they true/correct or not, I don't know):

- the farang should have listened/reasoned more with the security guard, not turn around and head for the turnstyles after agruing

he wasn't stopped twice before, so don't try it now. He seems to live here, so he should know better: staying calm and smile will get

you further with a Thai than starting to shout; that's the Thai way (and this is an incident in Bangkok, Thailand)

Also, you don't see a Thai arguing with a police officer that he wasn't stopped the last 5 days in a row when he was not wearing

a helmet while driving a motor cycle past that same officer, "so why are you stopping me today?".

- the security guard should not have used the metal detector, period. That would have only be justifiable if the farang had gotten

Assuming the farang did actually get hit twice (the vid is low quality, but you can clearly see blood, so he did get hit good),

he stayed relatively cool. I'm sure plenty of others would have been on the floor with the security guard already.

But the farang could have avoided it all by taking a taxi, ditching half of the ballons, or letting the air out of the ballons and taking them all with him.

I've just read your reply and I wish I can get the 43 seconds of my life back. saai.gif

I was just waiting for that one clap2.gif

You set yourself up for it...........it takes a special kind of person to dis the entire membership of Thaivisa that took the time to post on this topic.

Anyway @katana ........thanks very much, excellent input for us all.

You set yourself up for it...........it takes a special kind of person to dis the entire membership of Thaivisa that took the time to post on this topic.

Anyway @katana ........thanks very much, excellent input for us all.

I said "some posters".....that hardly implies "the entire membership of Thaivisa......."

But thanks for reading my post coffee1.gif

Very balanced post ( including the 1 liners )partytime2.gif

• Like 1

so now it looks like the irish guy went into a temper of rage at having to put some balloons in the bin ,kicked over the bin and pushed a female security and motioned to assault her again BEFORE someone cracked him on the head

i knew there was more to this story ,ive never seen them take out their batons and crack someone for nothing before

so now it looks like the irish guy went into a temper of rage at having to put some balloons in the bin ,kicked over the bin and pushed a female security and motioned to assault her again BEFORE someone cracked him on the head

i knew there was more to this story ,ive never seen them take out their batons and crack someone for nothing before

Source ? Another witness ?

here is several conflicting reports :

here is several conflicting reports :

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__5153793

Thanks Mr. wana, my bad i missed katana's post.

The injured gent's name is John Behan, an Irish teacher at an international school in BKK. The other farang in the video is a colleague. His Thai wife wasn't there, but rushed to the station on being informed by phone of what happened. She apparently gives her account on the BTS website message board under the name 'Zvezdy' in a thread entitled 'What Happened at the Phrom Phong BTS station at 20:30?'.

She went down to see the CCTV footage at the BTS headquarters with her family and says her husband was assaulted by security and staff at the station after he was told he could only take one balloon with him, so he threw some away in a bin and kicked it over. The security and staff then rushed in and assaulted him.

However, there's another female Thai witness on the thread who posts he was hit by the guards when he pushed a female Thai security guard and made as if to assault her further. She said he was wild and out of control.

He was taken to hospital and his 7 year-old daughter, her shirt stained with his blood, was very upset as you might imagine having been a witness to it all.

There was also someone posting up under the name nooduan, presumably working for BTS, and claiming he didn't have a valid ticket as well, but his wife denies this.

Also more here:

And at Pantip where 'Zvezdy' again posts up asking for any one with pics who filmed the incident to submit them as evidence.

Well, there ya go than.

Our katana`s research has just about summed this all up.

Firstly, I wouldn’t give the wife’s statement any credibility; as of course she is going to defend her husband.

It appears the guard was willing to let the farang take one or only some of the balloons as a compromise, but the farang acted like a baby, he was not having any of that, for him it was winner takes all, <deleted> or bust and he lost.

So what more does anyone expect out of this? As far as I’m concerned there is no argument, case confirmed.

I would like to say that I`ve really enjoyed being here, you have all been a wonderful audiance and god bless everyone.

Edited by Beetlejuice

It appears the guard was willing to let the farang take one or only some of the balloons as a compromise, but the farang acted like a baby, he was not having any of that, for him it was winner takes all, <deleted> or bust and he lost.

It doesn't matter if he acted like a 'baby'. He was viciously assaulted because he walked in to the BTS ticket area, not even past the gate or on a train, not with balloons, but with too many balloons. The Irish guy may be a jackass, but the guard is a criminal.

I have little hope that the guard will be prosecuted, but he at least needs to be fired. He has no place in that position if his response to too many balloons in the ticketing area is to savagely beat a passenger in the head. People should organize a one day boycott of the BTS if they refuse.

Also more here:

Well, there ya go than.

Firstly, I wouldn’t give the wife’s statement any credibility; as of course she is going to defend her husband.

So what more does anyone expect out of this? As far as I’m concerned there is no argument, case confirmed.

I would like to say that I`ve really enjoyed being here, you have all been a wonderful audiance and god bless everyone.

By the looks of that post, that will be the last ever post by Beetlejuice on Thaivisa.

Good........let's have a party partytime2.gifintheclub.gifdrunk.gif

It doesn't matter if he acted like a 'baby'. He was viciously assaulted because he walked in to the BTS ticket area, not even past the gate or on a train, not with balloons, but with too many balloons. The Irish guy may be a jackass, but the guard is a criminal.

I have little hope that the guard will be prosecuted, but he at least needs to be fired. He has no place in that position if his response to too many balloons in the ticketing area is to savagely beat a passenger in the head. People should organize a one day boycott of the BTS if they refuse.

Sorry DP , pls. read katana's post again : if, and i say IF, he was really pushing away a FEMALE STAFF , the guard had the right and probably the moral duty to stop him. Too harsh ? OK !

Now, it's the many Thai witnesses word against his word.. Let's guess who win..

IMHO. if i was commuting in a foreign country's metropolis with my 6 years old daughter, i would do my best to avoid to get in trouble ...for some stupid ballons...

...it takes a special kind of person to dis the entire membership of Thaivisa....

You're not really a member of Thaivisa until you've insulted the entire membership of Thaivisa. I usually do it a couple times a day.

That's a fair point, I do it quite often too but I can blame one of my alter egos. No you can't. Yes I can. You can't. Can. crazy.gif

Also more here:

Well, there ya go than.

By the looks of that post, that will be the last ever post by Beetlejuice on Thaivisa.

Just watch it, OK.

I wouldn`t like my brother in law er, that security guard to have to bash you on the head.

Balloons here are normally filled with HYDROGEN, a real explosive gas if someone happened to light a lighter and pop one.

Good on the guard.

Mac

No they are filled with Helium, none explosive, get your gases right this is the one that makes your voice sound like Donald Duckcoffee1.gif

Also more here:

Well, there ya go than.

Just watch it, OK.

I wouldn`t like my brother in law er, that security guard to have to bash you on the head.

You know I love you Beetlejuice wub.png

I just couldn't resist your goodbye biggrin.png

Just read this whole thread and have to say there are some complete cocks on TV .

From Bendix who thinks he is so clever posting about some archaic law that says it's our duty to hit Irishmen, to the delusional newly minted thai who just posts utter nonsense!

No! Really? I mean . . . . really?

Good grief . . . How embarrassing.

Edited by bendix

Unfortunately the Thais aren't the best at explaining rules and regulations. in a country that is a "don't do as we do, do as we say". Also saying "You can't take Balloons" doesn't cut it. If they don't want people to carry certain items they there needs to be signs at entrances. Just to add, I go to a Thai Language School twice a week with a backpack and never get asked for a bag inspection, yet all Thais I see get checked, just to show you the 'flip side of the coin'.

Edited by LindsayBKK

I think a call for solidarity is required.......all farang travelling on the BTs and MRT on March 26...National Balloon day....should tie a non inflated balloon to their shirt sleeve.

id rather wear a metal detector symbol on my shirt to show support for the guard ;)

Balloons here are normally filled with HYDROGEN, a real explosive gas if someone happened to light a lighter and pop one.

Good on the guard.

Mac

No ballons are NEVER "normally filed with hydrogen",

but always filled with Helium, which is none explosive.

But there have been a few incidents of hydrogen un balloons. Madness of course.

Which is why it is always used, and also gives you a squeeky voice if inhaled before you speak.

But noting that these Balloon Animals did NOT float, but hung from hands, there was nothing more than air inside. Of course security was obviously too stupid to know the difference between gas inflated floating balloons and those blown up by mouth... which give absolutely NO DANGER to anyone, but maybe the person blowing them up.

But because of the hydrogen incidents, balloons generic are banned. But the 'why and what for' is not clearly stated to the security dweebs, and so they don't give a valid reason to the poor man. From the moment he was hit in the head and bleeding he can't be held accountable for his rage... because he was provoked for no understandable reason. And particularly because he had been on another train with the balloons earlier. If he had been told why then he might have taken a taxis, but security was heavy handed idiots.

Edited by animatic

Ok, for all you cyber judges and (Wana)be hard men, this is what ACTUALLY happened (this from someone who witnessed the whole thing):

The guy was told by a guard that balloons were not allowed on. He countered that they (him and his daugther) had arrived via BTS just earlier with the same balloons and it hadn't been a problem. Guard tells him he can take half but not all. Guy decides that's BS and proceeds through turnstile (NOT barging past any guards!). Guard chases and smashes him in the face with a METAL DETECTOR (NOT the baton!)

He was also hit later on the back of the head by another guard! All of this in front of his horrified and terrified 4 yr old daughter. Oh, and the woman was NOT his wife/gf but a Thai bystander who was communicating her disgust at what she had just witnessed.

Now, for those that think this was some form of divine justice, then that's your perogative. I just hope you don't have to experience something as horrific whilst in the company of a small child also.

Some on here really do need to exercise some self-control themselves and refrain from jumping to stupid conclusion about others, based on nothing more than your own arrogance and prejudice!

Oh, and when the Police arrived they told them they wouldn't be arresting any Thais and that if he didn't just leave then HE would be arrested! Didn't even interview the guard.

I'm sure plenty of you will think that's also acceptable practice and procedure too huh?!

I have been told by some friends who were present and witnessed the whole thing that this is a totally accurate account. Keep in mind that the video doesn't show the beginning of the saga when the guard attacked him. Those who want to slag them, note that these are obviously not low class unemployed bums like some of those who sit in their broken-down armchairs piping crap into these forums. Clearly the guy was distressed after being slugged over the head by TWO security guards (the second one from behind his back). Also, I happen to know that the CCTV camera has been viewed and there is a good case for charging the attackers.

Now tell me could this whole episode be avoided if the guy had taken a taxi or left the balloons there ?

Does not excuse the guards but you just cant change the rules or go up against the people who enforce it and expect to get of without any trouble.

at last some common sense ! why fight with armed guards over a f##king balloon ??

its clearly not permitted ,and thais dont back down because that would lose their face

i think he will think twice the next time a man in uniform with a baton tells him hes not allowed to do something :D

No. The guard lost all credibility when he offered to let half the number of balloons cross the threshold. Either balloons are banned or they are not.