Does It Bother You To Be Called A Farang?

connda

Are you offended when someone calls you...  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bananarama had it nailed years ago.

I fully concur. Robert Di Nero is certainly waiting.

I had a guy have a go at me a few years ago for saying " This Jap bloke" as he considered it offensive. Where i come from Jap is just a shortened version of Japanese. Nothing more.

I get really offended when the term Farang is directed towards me..... especially if the word 'Price' is appended.

over the years i have used countless times "this is a Farang price. now quote me a real price!"

cool.png I voted no as to being offended by being called a Farang. It is a mixed bag for me because after spending 7 years in Thailand and learning the language to a fair degree, There is sometimes , depending on the context where "Farang" can be offensive.

I was very disturbed by my wifes brother who repeatedly refered to me as Farang to others. I called him on it one New Years and he told me that he didn't know what to say to me. Ultimately I believe he is a bit jealous of me and that is why he had the attitude. There are instances where Farang can be used in the Thai language in a Fun and Joking manner and others where it can be downright offensive. Unless you have a pretty good grasp of the Thai language it is nearly impossible to tell the difference. For the most part it is generally it is not used i a mean spirited manner, That is why I voted No. All of wifes family refer tome by my name. especially the children who have known me since they were born, or very young. They just see me as that funny looking guy in the family who doesn't look like them and are very respectful towards me.

LL

You are trying to compare a racial term with terms denoting nationalities. Not the same thing.

Ask any Thai, a farang is a farang no matter what country they are in anywhere in the world. Racial term plain and simple, has nothing to do with your passport, where you were born or where you live. It is determined by skin color.

The average Thai would be better off getting a copy of Photoshop and digitally altering their skin. Heck, that's what the TV commercials do right in front of you eyes! LOL

Lovely Isaan girl puts this cream on and --- ***Poof*** --- she's a Swede!!! (oh heck, hope I didn't offend any Swedish folk)

Thai girls like smiling and laughing...........there's no way they would be confused with a Swede. whistling.gif

You can't really smile and laugh with a mouthful of snus. :(

Bananarama had it nailed years ago.

OH, Thaddeus, you make me laugh, what on earth are you referring to?

Maybe this topic has been done to death, but I'll support the OP and play.

As the first Aussie here, slang is almost an integral part of our vocabulary.

Plus we have a predisposition to shorten anything or anyone’s name.

As regards the 'Farang' question ... ABSOLOUTLY NO PROBLEMS TO BE REFERRED TO AS A FARANG.

I asked the Thai gf and from their perspective, it is not used as a derogatory term at all.

Sort like saying connda, do you see that Ford over there.

The implication being that Ford is a group of individual cars (Mustang, Mondeo, Falcons), recognizable by their common feature ... that of being made by Ford.

Extrapolate that into the current argument.

The Thai speaker doesn't know if you are a Mustang, Mondeo or a Falcon - American, English or an Aussie, but he/she can see that you are a Ford - have white skin.

It's simply a descriptor to be called a Farang with no negative connotations whatsoever.

We get hung up to many times trying to interpret what the Thai actually mean, hypothesising and pontificating ... but we never actually go and ask them.

The Thai gf went on to say that there is a subtle hint of endearment in the term Farang ... so don't worry and stop thinking to much.

Relax, and you will enjoy the ride sooooooo much more.

theblether ... you were posting while I was editing

Yes, and I'm sure your girlfriend wouldn't think of sugar coating the truth or tell you what you want to hear. Although what she says may be true in some circumstances, it is not used as an endearing term most of the time. Not that it is always used aggressively, many times just in a ignorant or even stupid way.

And, your psuedo intellectual comparison to a car is ridiculous. A car can be referred to a car and the make or model does not need to be pointed out again and again.

Same thing here, if a thai doesn't know where a person is from, to say "well, that person is 'falang', but I'm not sure where they are from," granted, the first time they meet said person or customer etc. it is not offensive.

What is offensive is to continually be reffered by your skin colour, not your name, title, or even person.

How hard is it to say he or she or that person....ie. "kao" or "kun nan" etc.

When someone I see every day sees me in the morning and says "falang ma lao," with a smile on their face to another Thai, well, that is offensive, full stop. There is no reason for it other than to simply single out a person by their skin color simply for the reason to single them out and make perfectly clear to their friends/co-workers that this person (or thing in many cases, "falang nee, man aow aligh?" etc) is not one of us.

I'd prefer to be called farang rather than the common "Hey You, You". The you, you grates on my nerves even if I know they mean nothing by it.

Agree completely. I HATE that even though I know they're not trying to be rude. Farang is not nearly as bad

cool.png I voted no as to being offended by being called a Farang. It is a mixed bag for me because after spending 7 years in Thailand and learning the language to a fair degree, There is sometimes , depending on the context where "Farang" can be offensive.

I was very disturbed by my wifes brother who repeatedly refered to me as Farang to others. I called him on it one New Years and he told me that he didn't know what to say to me. Ultimately I believe he is a bit jealous of me and that is why he had the attitude. There are instances where Farang can be used in the Thai language in a Fun and Joking manner and others where it can be downright offensive. Unless you have a pretty good grasp of the Thai language it is nearly impossible to tell the difference. For the most part it is generally it is not used i a mean spirited manner, That is why I voted No. All of wifes family refer tome by my name. especially the children who have known me since they were born, or very young. They just see me as that funny looking guy in the family who doesn't look like them and are very respectful towards me.

LL

I think you pretty well summed it up. It really does depend on the context that the word is being used in. It can be derogatory, but most of the time it isn't. It's just a generalize way of saying foreigner. I don't take offense because I know I can't change the culture -- I can only change my response to the culture. So it's totally up to me to be upset of not, and I choose to not be upset.

Edited by connda

I'd prefer to be called farang rather than the common "Hey You, You". The you, you grates on my nerves even if I know they mean nothing by it.

Agree completely. I HATE that even though I know they're not trying to be rude. Farang is not nearly as bad

So instead of being called "you, you" which I agree is quite annoying, you prefer "hey white boy?"ermm.gif

Interesting how they have the word "borang" in Khmer (means exactly the same as "farang") but you are not often called that the ways the Thais do, and people there are much more likely to shout "sir, sir, motorbike?" than you you. Interesting in that I would say the majority of Khmers are much less educated than their Thai counterparts.

Because your culture, my culture is a mixed race culture, though, most likely predominately white, we are taught that we should not identify someone by their skin colour. It's racist. It's racist in our country.

In Thailand which is essentially a mono culture with a strong Chinese influence, the thing that stands out about us is our skin colour.

At home we are never allowed to say, hey, look at that person ... which one ... the black man.

”No little Johnny, it's impolite to say something like that, please describe the colour of his shirt next time.”

But if in England you were to say, hey, look at that white person ... I don't know who would be offended?

If you didn't identify with the car make analogy ... up to you.

Some will, some won't ... you didn't.

The premise of your thinking comes because you are not thinking the same as the Thai's ... they really don't care. They are not meaning to offend you.

The Thai word or name for foreigner is "Chaaw Taang Chaat" but most time they will simply say "Farang" because it's easier.

If they wanted to insult you the word would be " I rang" Strong and short sound "I"

I don't know if you are in a relationship in Thailand where you have close contact on a daily basis with a family of Thais.

Have a read of what llso wrote above your post ... he is and doesn't take offence. As he revealed when his brother-in-law was asked why he called llso a Farang ... it was because he didn't have another name for him.

Connda, who also lives here with a Thai wife has a similiar statement.

p.s. I would have quoted you with the opening statement but it was difficult to identify anything worthy of a quote, and I tried really hard.

We could have had a civil debate and in the end, agreed to disagree ... unfortunately the tone of your post didn't indicate that a beer was in the offering.

Oh, happy if you flame away, call me a Farang, because, same as the Thais, I really don't care.

I see what you are saying, and that may be well and good if they were in some magic bubble where only Thai people exixsted. But they are not, they are in the real world, and in addition to welcoming foreigners they actually go out and pitch the idea for people to come live and work here or retire.

Like the example with Cambodia, you just don't get that same attitude from them, or Lao for that matter, although my experiences there are limited.

Saying it is what it is, isn't an excuse, the way Thai culture is used as and end all for any differences that arise is a cop out, IMHO:)

And sorry if my tone offended you, didn't mean to be rude or aggresivecowboy.gif

Edited by Kilgore Trout

I see what you are saying, and that may be well and good if they were in some magic bubble where only Thai people exixsted. But they are not, they are in the real world, and in addition to welcoming foreigners they actually go out and pitch the idea for people to come live and work here or retire.

Like the example with Cambodia, you just don't get that same attitude from them, or Lao for that matter, although my experiences there are limited.

Saying it is what it is, isn't an excuse, the way Thai culture is used as and end all for any differences that arise is a cop out, IMHO:)

And sorry if my tone offended you, didn't mean to be rude or aggresivecowboy.gif

Likewise I can appreciate your viewpoint and we certainly contribute to both their economy and their foreign reserves.

My experiences into Cambodia were 2 Visa runs (great food, same as thai style but because of the French influence the use of western vegetables)

And sadly haven't been to Lao (yet)

With limited experience in those two neighbouring countries hard for me to compare.

No offence taken ... you seem like a reasonable chap well it's off to the Pub for us then ... my first shout ... drunk.gif

Edit: Note to self ... must read some of Kurt Vonnegut works.

Edited by David48

I agree with the earlier ports, I hate that 'hey you, you, you'....it gets my hackles up.

If being called farang is the worst thing that happens to you in Thailand then happy days, who cares.

People insinuating it is racist to the same extent as to the white v black racism we saw ( still see ) in the West have got it all wrong. That was all about demeaning people with horrific racial stereotyping and animalistic comparisons, I won't lower myself to repeating them. On the other hand when we are called farang in Thailand it could be read as.....

'Hey you rich boy with skin I am jealous of, and all the pretty girls want to marry'....

Insults like that I can handle any day.

now some of you guys will get offended...

the term farang comes from the fact that the first white skinned foreigner that came in siam were french.

Francais became farangset as the word did not exist in the language before their arrival.

Subsequently, every white skinned foreigner became a farang.

There is no offence intended when using this word until it is associated whith the adjective kii nok, which means bird sh!t.

usually used only when the referred farang strated to offense the thai couterpart big time