Khao Sok National Park And Si Phangnga National Park

petercallen

Has anyone visited these National Parks, are they worth a visit, can

you do it in a day trip or is it best to stay overnight and what accommodation

is available there if you stop overnight

We did a day trip to Phangnga a while back but looking at the map the

national park we visited was neither of these

1) Khao Sok You could go there on a daytrip from Phuket. There are two walking trails you can negotiate without a guide, one starting at the national park headquarters just following the river upstream, and the other one going north starting at the same point. It is all very well signposted. Also, you could drive directly to the Rajaprapha dam 30 KM or so further east, turn left at the sign in the village of Tha Khun, and take a tour by longtailboat on the Cheow Lan lake. Close to the headquarters there are many accomodation possibilities, there really is an overabundancy of accomodation providers. You can also stay at the lake, be it in a floating bungalow, be it in a bungalow built on a concrete footing but in the lake. Prices for accomodation at the lake will include food, because you can go nowhere else to eat.

2) Si Phangnga. Some well maintained nature trails, one of which goes to a spectacular waterfall (Tam Nang), but only a campsite as far as accomodation is concerned. There is a restaurant next to the national park headquarters though. Also doable on a daytrip from Phuket

Both of the parks consist of tropical rainforest on a hilly terrain, quite scenic and definitely worth a visit.

Edited by keestha

khao sok is nice but i went for a little swim in a stream and came out covered in leaches! still have nightmares about that one!

the roads around khao sok are spectacular

Yes there are a lot of leaches...they don't hurt though.

Here is the walking map...some are quite strenuous and i wouldn't recommend trying to do them on a day trip.

Khao%20Sok%20Map.jpg

Apart from closed shoes, there is one thing you can do to prevent leech bites: empty a cigarette into a water bottle, shake till the water gets brown, and then apply it to your feet and your ankles. Never pull a leech off, parts of its beak might get stuck in the wound. Apply a burning cigarette or lemon juice. Immediately desinfect the wound with iodine or alcohol. Leeches are a problem mainly when it just has been raining.

All good info as i have been several times they are worth a look for sure, I stay at the tree top bungalows at Khao sok it is on the left just before the entrance to the park prices 700 to 1200 baht and then go to the dam the next day if you drive back on route 415 from the dam there is temple you can stop at that has 100's of monkeys that is also worth a look u have to do a u turn on the to get the entrance good footware is a must if you want to walk

All good info as i have been several times they are worth a look for sure, I stay at the tree top bungalows at Khao sok it is on the left just before the entrance to the park prices 700 to 1200 baht and then go to the dam the next day if you drive back on route 415 from the dam there is temple you can stop at that has 100's of monkeys that is also worth a look u have to do a u turn on the to get the entrance good footware is a must if you want to walk

PS .

It is 180 Kms from the dam back to Patong.

yes well worth the drive for a day trip to khao sok ...been many times on the bike ..head for ranong instead of turning left to ranong go straight ...then come home from khao sok via phang nga .... quite a bit cooler up there ..

Thanks for the replies, It was Khao Sok by the descriptions that

we visited last time, we just left Phuket early in the morning

with no set destination,Looking at the road atlas there is a huge dam

Which we did not see, will go there again for another look at the area

We've stayed at Khao Sok quite a few times, but I admit we just go to be lazy - no hiking or rafting! Have stayed several times at the Cliff and River resort which is outside the park, about 10km past the park entrance, closer to Surat Thani. Makes a very nice relaxing break from Phuket. The restaurant in the hotel does good food too. Have been out on the lake before, great place, and we're planning to stay at one of thefloating bungalows end of next month.

Sri Phang Nga national park is north of Takua Pa on ther way to Kuraburi, we went one time last year and walked a couple of km to Tamnang waterfall which was impressive, you can swim there and there are fish all around as you swim. We saw they have some simple and very cheap bungalows there, I think it was 400B per night, we might just stop there next month too.

We've stayed at Khao Sok quite a few times, but I admit we just go to be lazy - no hiking or rafting! Have stayed several times at the Cliff and River resort which is outside the park, about 10km past the park entrance, closer to Surat Thani. Makes a very nice relaxing break from Phuket. The restaurant in the hotel does good food too. Have been out on the lake before, great place, and we're planning to stay at one of thefloating bungalows end of next month.

Sri Phang Nga national park is north of Takua Pa on ther way to Kuraburi, we went one time last year and walked a couple of km to Tamnang waterfall which was impressive, you can swim there and there are fish all around as you swim. We saw they have some simple and very cheap bungalows there, I think it was 400B per night, we might just stop there next month too.

I'd endorse "The Cliff and River", too. Google it - nice website. May be a bit pricey, but, hey, my days of slumming it in national parks in this climate with only a fan are over. C&R has air-con, fridge, TV, access to canoe and elephant rides, good restaurant, swimming pool, etc etc. Lovely place.

If your other half is Thai, then one of the part-owners is a guy from the 'more serious' Thai soaps. He's usually away filming, but his Mrs runs the coffee shop at C&R.

A day on a long boat at the dam is spectacular - well recommended. Have to say, though, I didn't like the look of the raft houses - exepct them to be pretty hot and uncomfortable, I'd suggest.

C&R is only 1/2 hour from dam, so just drive over there for the day. Lots of Thais stay at C&R, so do book up well in advance.