Drinking In Public

ivan96822

I was wondering what are the risks of drinking in public in Bangkok?

I'm not talking about plopping a keg down on the corner of a busy soi and getting piss drunk, but what about discreetly concealing

a bottle of Chang in a brown bag and hanging around say, a park, or outside of a 7-11, or ________________?

I am curious to know your thoughts and opinions. As a young man, I lived off getting away with this type of activity in California, Mexico, and Hawaii.

Any advice/warnings on this topic? What are the penalties if caught?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have a drink problem ? drunk.gif

If the OP is skint he should consider going home. Next on his list should be giving up alcohol and any other unneccessary substances.

Then he can buy a coke at 7/11 and enjoy a stroll through the park.

I bought 2 beers on Sukhumvit Soi 11 from the 7/eleven, it was about midnight and I was walking back to my hotel I saw many cops and they didn't bat an eyelid. Not sure about parks though.

I bought 2 beers on Sukhumvit Soi 11 from the 7/eleven, it was about midnight and I was walking back to my hotel I saw many cops and they didn't bat an eyelid. Not sure about parks though.

Jambco, thanks for an honest response. I did the same thing from Sukhumvit and Soi 11 to Soi 3, then right on down to the Bamboo Bar. Hung out and saw no major repercussions....And I was with a woman, had been at the Bar Cart (behind Club Climax), and the sun was rising. Ten cars nearly hit me, but that's not the point.

Edited by ivan96822

As far as I know no repercussions... I don't do it because not my think normally, but I;ve seen farang strolling with a bottle in each hand around Khaosan and I have Thai friends who sit outside the 7-11 having a couple of Chang... I think they would think the paper bag was strange... Thailand is much freer than most countries (my view)....

are there any general restrictions on drinking in public in LoS?

as far as I remember a year or two ago some new legislation came into force

outlawing drinking (and I think also smoking) in parks

there was also some talk about outlawing drinking and sale of alcohol in nature parks/reserves

As far as I know no repercussions... I don't do it because not my think normally, but I;ve seen farang strolling with a bottle in each hand around Khaosan and I have Thai friends who sit outside the 7-11 having a couple of Chang... I think they would think the paper bag was strange... Thailand is much freer than most countries (my view)....

The brown paper bag is the farang/American in me....;p In UKKKA, you have to be on guard.

The brown paper bag is the farang/American in me....;p In UKKKA, you have to be on guard.

Don't you mean.....the bum in you. I can understand if you wanted to have a bar-b-que in the park with alcohol but to just wonder around like a loser. rolleyes.gif

Jambco, thanks for an honest response. I did the same thing from Sukhumvit and Soi 11 to Soi 3, then right on down to the Bamboo Bar. Hung out and saw no major repercussions....And I was with a woman, had been at the Bar Cart (behind Club Climax), and the sun was rising. Ten cars nearly hit me, but that's not the point.

You sound like a real danger to yourself and others. I think you need to go home to mummy and daddys where you will be safe.

• Like 2

You sound like a real danger to yourself and others. I think you need to go home to mummy and daddys where you will be safe.

Dean, if thats your lady in the avatar, l am really envious. cowboy.gif

As long as he keeps his shirt on while wandering there’s no harm done really.rolleyes.gif

You see sometimes Thais sitting outside, playing checkers and having a beer but walking around while drinking seems to be reserved for a certain type of Falang that’s completely clueless.

Yeah, Dean, a real danger. Never a criminal conviction in my life, haven't been in a physical altercation since my early 20s, and have spent time in shady corners of third world nations with zero problems. I guess I should have expected such a response from somebody who must wait for the light to turn green before he steps off the curb, turns on the turning signal one-hundred yards exactly before the turn, and probably goes to bed when the street lights come on.

Don't you mean.....the bum in you. I can understand if you wanted to have a bar-b-que in the park with alcohol but to just wonder around like a loser. rolleyes.gif

As for you implying I'm a loser, I am far from being one. I think a loser is a crusty has-been who puts an attractive woman in his avatar in order to "be cool."

As for you implying I'm a loser, I am far from being one. I think a loser is a crusty has-been who puts an attractive woman in his avatar in order to "be cool."

To be a has-been, i would need to be older than 31. My avatar pic person is probably older or very near my age. Are you gay and don't like to look at my avatar. There are plenty of people on here who like my pic. Are they crusty has-beens too?

jerk.gif

• Like 1

Yeah, Dean, a real danger. Never a criminal conviction in my life, haven't been in a physical altercation since my early 20s, and have spent time in shady corners of third world nations with zero problems. I guess I should have expected such a response from somebody who must wait for the light to turn green before he steps off the curb, turns on the turning signal one-hundred yards exactly before the turn, and probably goes to bed when the street lights come on.

What i said was a joke but i think what you said is funny. How do you know me so well?

?????? I thought everybody did this ..obviously no Aussies on here today? lol

Never sucked back a brew after getting off an Air Asia flight before ya get in your truck? Come on guys remove the broom stick...TIT!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, l think l am a crusty has been but like my dad thought the female form was one of the wonders of the world, afraid l follow in his footsteps and the avatar in question is a work of art in my crusty eyes.

"As for you implying I'm a loser, I am far from being one. I think a loser is a crusty has-been who puts an attractive woman in his avatar in order to "be cool." -----------------------Ivan

"To be a has-been, i would need to be older than 31. My avatar pic person is probably older or very near my age. Are you gay and don't like to look at my avatar. There are plenty of people on here who like my pic. Are they crusty has-beens too?" ------------------------------------Dean

Correction: to be a has-been, you must live by the rules and with caution, as you have implied. Also, obviously you can't read. I said that the woman in your avatar is "an attractive woman," so I'm obviously not gay. The fact that you need to put such a beautiful woman in your avatar is testament as to what a loser you indeed are. You obviously are insecure about yourself and need to put up some type of front in order to gain the approval of others.

I'm not talking about plopping a keg down on the corner of a busy soi and getting piss drunk, but what about discreetly concealing

a bottle of Chang in a brown bag and hanging around say, a park, or outside of a 7-11, or ________________?

You don't need to conceal alcohol to drink in public. Nothing like back in the US, just walk down the street drinking openly drinking your beer if you want. If it's the middle of the day people may look at your like you're an alcoholic, but that's all.

A park is a different story, you're not allowed to drink in them. The police will fine you if they catch you drinking in a park.

Be careful pal!

You'll get the "All Farangs must wear full evening dress and only drink alcohol at the local Chamber of Commerce" set angry...

The bottom line is that drinking on public is fine on the whole (bar the locales mentioned) however public intoxication is not big, nor is it clever, and will only besmirch your good name.

Be careful pal!

You'll get the "All Farangs must wear full evening dress and only drink alcohol at the local Chamber of Commerce" set angry...

The bottom line is that drinking on public is fine on the whole (bar the locales mentioned) however public intoxication is not big, nor is it clever, and will only besmirch your good name.

Good mates...These are the blunt answers I was looking for. Thanks for the terse replies and the honest answers. See you mates on the soi and we'll flip a coin for who gets the next round?

I think the OP is referring to the "Open Container Law" which says something like the existence of open containers of alcohol in public areas (the street, parks etc) is not allowed. No alcohol drinking on the streets etc, hence the brown paper bag. Back in the States I was out drinking orange juice out of a brown paper bag and a surly cop barked at me thinking I was boozin' it up on the street.

In Thailand, I don't think anyone really cares, but don't be a drunken idiot causing problems.

"As for you implying I'm a loser, I am far from being one. I think a loser is a crusty has-been who puts an attractive woman in his avatar in order to "be cool." -----------------------Ivan

"To be a has-been, i would need to be older than 31. My avatar pic person is probably older or very near my age. Are you gay and don't like to look at my avatar. There are plenty of people on here who like my pic. Are they crusty has-beens too?" ------------------------------------Dean

Correction: to be a has-been, you must live by the rules and with caution, as you have implied. Also, obviously you can't read. I said that the woman in your avatar is "an attractive woman," so I'm obviously not gay. The fact that you need to put such a beautiful woman in your avatar is testament as to what a loser you indeed are. You obviously are insecure about yourself and need to put up some type of front in order to gain the approval of others.

Encase you haven't noticed, this is an anonymous forum. Far as i know you could all be complete weirdos. Why would i need to put up a front for that.

If i put a picture of a beautiful car, does that mean i want people to think i have money or something. I might just like the car. Or maybe a pic of a jet. Will people think i'm a pilot? jerk.gif

I think you're an alcoholic and thats why your getting so angry. I also think you're wondering around Thailand from Soi to Soi looking for you're next cheap drink or mug to sponge off. I can see you know, sat there in the park with your hobbo look, swigging from your brown paper bag. Go back to the US of A and get clean and sobber.

An acquaintance of mine buys the Smirnoff ICE/bacardi type drinks from 7/11 and drinks 5-10 of those as he walks about the street on a night out. He is more than happy to stand outside the front of a bar drinking them as he chats to the bargirls.

This is done with the dual purpose.....save money, get drunk.

Encase you haven't noticed, this is an anonymous forum. Far as i know you could all be complete weirdos. Why would i need to put up a front for that.

If i put a picture of a beautiful car, does that mean i want people to think i have money or something. I might just like the car. Or maybe a pic of a jet. Will people think i'm a pilot? jerk.gif

I think you're an alcoholic and thats why your getting so angry. I also think you're wondering around Thailand from Soi to Soi looking for you're next cheap drink or mug to sponge off. I can see you know, sat there in the park with your hobbo look, swigging from your brown paper bag. Go back to the US of A and get clean and sobber.

Is that the best you can do, getting so upset as to compare me to a degenerate in a park? First of all, the only one who is getting angry is you. I rather enjoy getting the public's opinion on social issues.

Second of all, since you put up a picture of a beautiful girl, which you have done, I guess that means that you want people to think that you are involved somehow with that caliber of woman.

When I saw your avatar, I pictured some 19 year old dude who has trouble getting girls....When I learned that you were 31 years old using an avatar that high school students must really go for, I realized that you must be some 31 year old dude who really has trouble getting women. Oh, well. I guess you can start saving up for your next trip to the brothel. Until then, go back to Belgium.

Edited by ivan96822
  • Like 1

Is that the best you can do, getting so upset as to compare me to a degenerate in a park? First of all, the only one who is getting angry is you. I rather enjoy getting the public's opinion on social issues.

Second of all, since you put up a picture of a beautiful girl, which you have done, I guess that means that you want people to think that you are involved somehow with that caliber of woman.

When I saw your avatar, I pictured some 19 year old dude who has trouble getting girls....When I learned that you were 31 years old using an avatar that high school students must really go for, I realized that you must be some 31 year old dude who really has trouble getting women. Oh, well. I guess you can start saving up for your next trip to the brothel. Until then, go back to Belgium.

Good return of fire. I like it.

Just so you know, i would put a pic of my wife but i don't want people perving over her. So i picked a good likeness. But hay, i don't need to justify myself to you.

See you, i'm off to the brothel. licklips.gif

ye gots to be careful with the brown paper bag in public as de cops they can easily turn a blind eye or get nasty...

I lived in the Mission district in SF in 1972 and in those times it was a Bowery type place with lotsa bums and a beer or a cheap bottle of wine in a paper bag was OK...then 10 years later I returned with a tall bud in a bag just sittin' around in the street minding me own business but the place had become 'gentrified' and someone complained and here came the cops with: 'whatcha got in the bag, pardner?' and I said: 'why a beer of course...' then they said: 'yer drunk an' comin' with us...' and I said: 'wait a minute, this is the inner Mission and everyone drinks in the street...'...

then they man handled me into a squad car and booked me for drunk and disorderly down the Mission cop shop...I said: ' you guys are nuts, no one is drunk here, just a can of bud in a bag in a run down area of town...' turned out that Mayor Feinstein wanted to clean up the 'beat' image of SF and I was collateral damage...they let me out about 4 hours later and dropped the charges...never went back after that...not even to get one of the famous taqueria burritos...

Edited by tutsiwarrior