German Man Found Dead In Chiang Mai Old City Guesthouse

webfact

How many people pay to come on holiday to commit suicide? Virtually zero would be my guess.

Suicide or misadventure should certainly not be the first default position or expectation, as it usually is here with the standard quote given of no mess, some alcohol and tablets found.

A 43 year old is unlikely to die in normal circumstances anywhere else in the world and I object to the clear preference seen in Thailand to label and go for the easy route with no tourism ramifications and best all round for the Police and Thailand irrespective of doing some proper police work bearing in mind the young age. Statistically this guy should have a miniscule expectation of dying in his room even with some wine and sleeping pills unless it was suicide which is also unlikely as usually you don't fly on holiday to do it.

It could be suicide. It could be natural causes. It could be overdose or mix of alcohol and pills etc

My beef is that EVERY time the police FIRST look for the same easy options and I believe Thailand to be a much more dangerous place than is thought because so much is hushed up or simply not treated as a crime in the first place or properly looked into.

It is a modern scandal that few foreigners are sufficiently aware of and runs very deep beneath the smiles.

Rubbish. The police didn't make statement as to the cause of death in fact the forensic guys took the body for investigation so what isn't being properly looked into? Don't see any scandal so far except perhaps all the jumping to conclusions by posters on this thread. Doesn't it make sense to FiRST look at easy options ? What is it that you really think think foreigners should be aware of? Facts only please if you have any!

How many people pay to come on holiday to commit suicide? Virtually zero would be my guess.

Suicide or misadventure should certainly not be the first default position or expectation, as it usually is here with the standard quote given of no mess, some alcohol and tablets found.

A 43 year old is unlikely to die in normal circumstances anywhere else in the world and I object to the clear preference seen in Thailand to label and go for the easy route with no tourism ramifications and best all round for the Police and Thailand irrespective of doing some proper police work bearing in mind the young age. Statistically this guy should have a miniscule expectation of dying in his room even with some wine and sleeping pills unless it was suicide which is also unlikely as usually you don't fly on holiday to do it.

It could be suicide. It could be natural causes. It could be overdose or mix of alcohol and pills etc

My beef is that EVERY time the police FIRST look for the same easy options and I believe Thailand to be a much more dangerous place than is thought because so much is hushed up or simply not treated as a crime in the first place or properly looked into.

It is a modern scandal that few foreigners are sufficiently aware of and runs very deep beneath the smiles.

Twix, it actually quite a common phenomena amongst suicidal to take a holiday , enjoy what is to be had ( girls/ beach/ whatever) and top yourself. Sort of thinking along lines that I will spend my money have a last bit of fun and then do the deed. Also depending on reason why it can also be away of striking back at ones at home .. quite often suicide victims don't tell anyone they are going to Thailand or Vietnam and surprise surprise... the relatives find out he has died overseas....

But for a last trip it would be rather the Shangri La than a creepy guesthouse (without 5 days of room service).

Looks same a very, very clean guesthouse. How much times they clean in a month? Or changes the towels? One time the week?

Unbelievable!!!

good point ...the vermin and insects would turn up within hours my mate was in a guest house near soi post office his next door neighbour died ...he realised he hadnt seen him for a few days but saw rats in the corridor .and there was an odour ... the thai owner was called and straightaway sent for the police before opening the door ...she later told my mate she had been thru this before ... when the door was opened not a pretty sight and the smell sickening he booked out ...no refind ...only 3 days so he wasnt worried ..a couple of days later in a bar he overheard two guys talking about the stink in their room .and he realised they were staying at the guesthouse he had been in ....he was going to say something ..but decided to just let it go ..the owner had apparently rented it out almost immediately after the police had finished their enquiries