Rescue Charity Collectors

Dellboy218

Just been in Hangdong Road Big C. A couple of lads turn up on a motor bike wearing shirts with a round 'rescue' type logo on the shoulder. They come with ready made plasticised signs in English collecting donations for, at the top was orphans and thats as far as I read on their very long list, no sign of a 'collecting tin', this by the way was in the car park. I seem to remember a scam some years ago of something similar. Whether genuine or a scam it is a shame for those they purport to collect for as I cannot see them collecting very much.

Edited by Dellboy218

I wish these teams of collectors were my customers,...as i get maybe on average 3 a week then maybe i could afford to donate...as such i kindly tell them sorry no thank you.

But despite what seem like harrassment, i think most are genuine, all dressed in their charity colours.

I too am very sceptical about charitycollections and where the donations actually go; so i like to give direct and see the smiles on the recipients faces in outlying hill tribe villages or old persons homes...but i never give money!

Fundraising companies typically take a fairly big slice but are usually only authorised to collect payment by some kind of recurring charge via a Debit or Credit Card. I've seldom seen them asking for cash. Ask them if they'll pose for a photo - you'll soon get an indication of whether they are genuine or not.

better methinks to dump a garbage bag of your old clothes shoes or whatever next to a garbage can ( if you can find one) in your local village shopping area...pretty likely that the contents will end up where needed..atleast that is what the wife does/says and she is always right...coffee1.gif

better methinks to dump a garbage bag of your old clothes shoes or whatever next to a garbage can ( if you can find one) in your local village shopping area...pretty likely that the contents will end up where needed..atleast that is what the wife does/says and she is always right...coffee1.gif

While that's true, I would probably counter-argue that it's a little bit degrading for people to be going through the trash for anything. We get most of out kids clothes free from a friend who has a kid just a year or so older, all great and brand name stuff, and we appreciate it highly and try to do nice things in return; but I wouldn't go through the trash for them. ;)

Not sure where else to leave them though; ideally with someone you know, it's always nice to do something nice, and chances are you get a little gesture in return some time even if it's just a bunch of bananas or something.

Yes, thats what we did, once a year we collected a lot of 2nd hand clothes from people (including the LUFC footy shirt), ; A few kilograms of paracetamols, blankets and mattresses, sweets, noodles,"ladies stuff" and went to a karen hill tribe out from Mae Jaem.

To have the whole village come out to greet you in their sunday best colourful robes and head dresses, smiling at you with their blackened or missing teeth, cupping their hands for a plie of "parras" was a thoudsand times better than putting your 100bt into a silver bowl.