Blocking Mainstream News Sites = W3.Mict.Go.Th

bangkokburning

Huffpo blocked first try, then loaded. Talkingpointsmemo blocked, can not access. Both come up fine through VPN.

This looks like someone who doesn't know what they are doing messing with the Squid settings. If it's deliberate, it's ominous.

Amazing Thailand.

They also blocked t.co . These are mostly being redirected to the w3.mict site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.co

As every link on Twitter is wrapped with t.co, almost all links are broken.

From CAT internet, I am seeing about a 80-90% failure rate clicking links in twitter (t.co). Some do occasionally work as expected. I do not currently have the same problems on AIS 3G.

-Mestizo

I'm on a True cable/DOCSIS plan here in Bangkok....I'm not having any of these blocked site issues.

Maybe folks having problems should also mention their location and Internet Service Provider (ISP) as that might help identify whether it's an ISP and/or location-specific problem.

They also blocked t.co . These are mostly being redirected to the w3.mict site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.co

As every link on Twitter is wrapped with t.co, almost all links are broken.

From CAT internet, I am seeing about a 80-90% failure rate clicking links in twitter (t.co). Some do occasionally work as expected. I do not currently have the same problems on AIS 3G.

-Mestizo

Above link came up fine for me. I'm on True in Bangkok.

Different providers block different sites.

A few days ago I couldn't book an air ticket from the airline site. Blocked!

The reason for all this is misconfiguration of the blocking/filter software.

Thai IT engineering must be one of the worst in the world, just see their website "designs".

I cant access Newsnow and some other sites, also when I do image search I only get 1 page of images or sometimes only half a page. at the bottom it says w3 MICT so I assome they are blocking it, as I have already cleared my cache and cookies. I am in Pattaya on Sophom net

Using CAT CDMA in Chiang Rai,with google.co.th or google.com for searches they appear to "stall" at w3.mict.go.th. Same searches on Yahoo and Bing go straight through. Looks like another botched attempt at censorship. No matter what the search is for , it seems to 'divert' to check mict then stall. This is not always the case, disconnecting and getting a new IP address sometimes resolves, but not consistent. Example below :

Edited by osmond

i have been on to true about this and they seem to think that it is specific ip addresses that are being blocked on certain sites.

If you are on true and get this coming up on an obviously non contentious stite you should check your ip on whatismyip dot com .

True uses dynamic ips which means it can change every time you log on the net.

take a screenshot of the re-direct and send a mail to languagecentre at truecorp dot co dot th with the screenshot and your ip address and a short explanation of what is happening.

hope this helps.

Personally i think it is bull but I will play their game for a while longer before i dump them!

Edited by PaulBax

• 1 month later...

Now they are blocking Huffington Post on Pattaya Sophon Internet, I keep getting redirected to http://w3.mict.go.th/ and a blank screen, I don't get the it, why would they start blocking news sites and other innocuous sites like Yahoo sports fantasy football, the longer i live here the more confused i am about Thai logic...

also note talkingpointsmemo.com is blocked too... so much cow droppings.

HP just start loading

update....now blocking 123greetings.com trying to send mothers day ecard,

Edited by Rainmon

CAT CMDA. dealextreme.com first page opens, but using the search results to the w3 (en of the internet I suppose).

Huffington post seems not to load as well.

W3.Mict.Go.Th = Oooonooooes I accidentally your entire internets!!1111!!!11

My a%%$#@ with ICT, I cannot access any links posted on twitter anymore, for 2 days now. Every time I try to access a link posted on twitter it shows that bull crap m3.mict.go.th .... What the hell happened??? Are they serious about blocking the twitter devices on accessing "vital news" ???

Very hard to go to Russian segment of internet. Same shit. some times page 404 and address w3.mict.go.th , some times pass by...

And try to say after that about hard censorship in Russia ^_^ I can say that there is no any of it))

True, Suanluang, Bangkok

www.cnn.com/video gets redirected also and sometimes loads after refreshing a bunch of times.

Very frustrating and I am noticing it a lot more today across the entire internet (Facebook/Twitter links also).