Magnets On The Engine ?

Maigo6

When I was home, a man came round trying to sell me a system that would increase my fuel economy on my pick up, it involved about half a dozen magnetic objects that where placed at certain points in the engine, fuel pipes etc.

He showed me a book that had many names and it was a record of the people who had bought from him. ( So he said ), he said it would increase economy by a signifigant ammount.

I told him i would check it out on the internet first, then decide.

Anyone heard of this, and how would it work ?

:o

When I was home, a man came round trying to sell me a system that would increase my fuel economy on my pick up, it involved about half a dozen magnetic objects that where placed at certain points in the engine, fuel pipes etc.

He showed me a book that had many names and it was a record of the people who had bought from him.  ( So he said ), he said it would increase economy by a signifigant ammount.

I told him i would check it out on the internet first, then decide.

Anyone heard of this, and how would it work ?

A total rip-off.

The Federal Trade Commission reports that EPA has tested 3 fuel line/magnet devices to date that are available in USA for use in cars. None of them work as claimed and there was no fuel savings.

The FTC has a very informative web site that includes reports on latest results of tests by EPA of "gas saving devices". There are about 100 devices and additives covered. Of the few that actually worked at all, the improved gas mileages were barely measureable.

Go to Federal Trade Commission for complete story on this segment of the auto snake oil industry.

Other links

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/cars/gas-save/gas.htm

http://www.eureka.findlay.co.uk/archive_fe...ets/Magnets.htm

As corkscrew states "rip-off"

Edited by tywais

Agreed, it is a load of <deleted>.

I keep on seeing those Turbinator devices being sold here that fit on the induction manifold.

They are also a load of <deleted>.

There are several ways to improve your mileage on a diesel.

Fuel additives

Fuel heating

Drive slowly (80kph)

I can confirm that fitting magnets to your car does give you more miles per litre.

First you must buy one of those huge scrapyard magnets and strap it to the front of your car/pick up.

Wait for another vehicle to pass and switch on the magnet, hey presto you get a free ride.

Totally buggers your brake pads though. :o

Mike.

I've always thought of those fuel additives as bit of a con.

Diluting a capful of fuel additive would surely therefor give you essentially a capful of extra fuel which would get you maybe an extra 'nth' of a kilometre from a full tank.

Yes, it improves mileage I suppose....but is it worth paying out for an additive to get that extra 'nth'?

Re magnets. I've stuck magnets (extracted from fridge magnets) to oil drain plugs on some of my bikes in the past. It's surprising the amount of black metallic gunge that gets picked up that the filter hasn't caught, and the supposedly manufacturers magnetic drain plug itself.

Not sure what they're supposed to pick up on fuel lines though, crap from a flaking fuel tank, impurities from gas station storage tanks? An in-line fuel filter would surely be as effective.

All those add on devices are gimmicks to separate you from your money. How much do you suppose the SUV makers would give to make those guzzlers more efficient? For that matter any car maker would give a fortune to get an edge on their competition. If it sounds too good to be true you can bet it's not true. LOL!

All those add on devices are gimmicks to separate you from your money. How much do you suppose the SUV makers would give to make those guzzlers more efficient? For that matter any car maker would give a fortune to get an edge on their competition. If it sounds too good to be true you can bet it's not true. LOL!

He reckoned he had some Police at Nong Hin on his books also.

A friend of mine used to sell those. One night, at the bar, he had them out for all to see. The bar owner bought them all... and threw them in the bin! :o

Another device I saw at the airport in Hong Kong is those electric belts that zap your belly to apparently make it smaller... The Canadian government had a company reimburse every single customer who bought one as they were proven 100% ineffective.

A girl I knew refused to get her money back and kept the zap belt. I told her that in the long run (scuse the pun), the only thing that belt will do is screw up her bowels and make her soil her pants like clockwork when she reaches the age of 45. :D

• 1 year later...
I can confirm that fitting magnets to your car does give you more miles per litre.

First you must buy one of those huge scrapyard magnets and strap it to the front of your car/pick up.

Wait for another vehicle to pass and switch on the magnet, hey presto you get a free ride.

Mike.

Don't think that his will 'catch on' Mike!

Does anyone remember The Aussie touring car legend Peter Brock?

This is an excerpt from an article on drive.com about magnets and Peter Brock.

The arrangement between Brock and Holden had been very successful, with Brock - a racing driver - winning on the track in Holden products while Holden won in the showroom with the HDT cars.

But now a problem loomed. Peter Brock had come to believe that a device called the Energy Polarizer was beneficial to automotive performance as it "...caused all molecules in its sphere of influence to be aligned...". He wished to fit the small box (which apparently contained items like magnets and resin) to the firewall of all HDT cars. All previous HDT road cars had been covered by a Holden warranty and had come with Holden's stamp of approval - and now Holden engineers "could see no technical merit" in this new device. Holden wanted no part of it. As a result, some HDT-modified Group A cars were fitted with the polarizer (along with some other changes including Peter Brock signature decals!) and others were not. The outcome of this - and other conflicts - was that the relationship between Holden and Brock ended.

Totally buggers your brake pads though. :D

Mike.

Sounds like fun though :o

Mike.

You peasant, it's an absolutely awesome idea. May have to invest in some muay thai lessons first though, for when Somchai sees the damage to his new pick up