Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard - Police Launch Investigation

webfact

Leaving aside Muay Thai, how he came to have a damaged eye (erm... self-inflicted?), or insinuations about English teachers, may I make it clear that I have no special desire to defend the guy, other than the fact that WE DON'T HAVE ALL THE EVIDENCE YET and PEOPLE SEEM TO WANT TO FIND HIM GUILTY OF BEING A THUG BASED ON HIS REACTIONS IN A VIDEO TO APPARENTLY BEING HIT IN THE HEAD.

Sorry for the caps, I know it's bad form, but is it possible to delay the lynching until there is an outcome, or more information? If he caused the whole thing and the guards acted reasonably, I will gladly be one of the lynching party!

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why is his filing a complaint proof of anything in itself? Maybe, just maybe, he wanted to let it go or just forget about it, until he found BTS had filed. What would you have done (yeah yeah it would have never happened to you).

If he was after money, wouldn't he have filed immediately? I don't know, but neither do you, so stop insinuating.

Sorry for the caps, I know it's bad form, but is it possible to delay the lynching until there is an outcome, or more information? If he caused the whole thing and the guards acted reasonably, I will gladly be one of the lynching party!

Agreed. We do not have all the facts yet, but the things we know for certain are (1) He's an English teacher at a Thai school (2) he has a Thai wife and (3) he has a Thai/Falang daughter.

Claiming that he was acting as a thug will have serious repurcussions on the man's job as a teacher, potentially his ability to remain in the country, and his ability to keep his family together. Let's not jump to conclusions without knowing a bit more of the facts.

• Like 1

Finally, when I said "would this even be reported if it were the case", the it would be his exoneration of any charges, or mitigation thereof. I have no doubt that many people would be interested in this case as it stands now (farang v thai! rules v breaking rules!); it is just that from previous form, follow up on many cases in the news is minimal or nothing (too many teen hiso incidents/minivan crashes to mention), and I doubt if the guy was found to be blameless it would be reported or anyone would care. Just thinking how this irreversible damage would impact his life in Thailand.

I only got into it because some jerks were defaming a man's character without knowing much about what happened or caring to get any solid information, and they seemed to be doing this for a variety of unpalatable reasons (general ignorance, nationalism of a type [no guesses as to which poster did a lot of that], reliance on insufficient evidence, insinuation, and some sort of desire to put themselves above someone else and sneer from on high, whether deserved or not).

I don't think I have anything else to say, in the absence of solid info (I'm sure my intended silence pleases some); this puts me where many of the posters in this super-long thread were about 12 hours ago, but it didn't stop them from yammering on and spreading innuendo.

I only got into it because some jerks were defaming a man's character without knowing much about what happened or caring to get any solid information, and they seemed to be doing this for a variety of unpalatable reasons (general ignorance, nationalism of a type [no guesses as to which poster did a lot of that], reliance on insufficient evidence, insinuation, and some sort of desire to put themselves above someone else and sneer from on high, whether deserved or not).

i completely agree with your sentiments

sometimes it is better to just look and sigh, for your own sanity ;)

• Like 1

People seem to miss the point that this video is after the initial confrontation. Everyone is flushed with adrenaline.

Many of us have only flexed our cyber muscles. But any of us who have been in such conflict can attest to an "altered" state of being.

Man if you undergo an 'altered state of being' over something like this issue, you have serious problems in your life, and they can only become more serious if you don't alter your behaviour.

Per the March 23, 2012 Nation News article:

"If a balloon explodes in a train compartment, other passengers may think a bomb has gone off and panic. A stampede could follow, and many people can be injured in such scenario."

I guess that would make sense why balloons are not allowed on BTS.

You're onto it, a particularly good reason why they wouldn't be permitted.

Many years ago, pre 9/11, when I flew aircraft for a living, the co-pilot brought three balloons on board, left overs from his birthday party in a layover port the previous evening. They were small/ish so had plenty of room to expand, and I never suspected for a moment that they could ever expand enough to burst, but climbing through 40,000 feet they went off in succession, and chaos reigned for quite a few seconds on the flight deck, both of us thinking that we'd had an on board bomb go off. That's a good enough reason. If it had been in the cabin, panic may well have occurred.

related:

Bangkok BTS apologises for guard's clash with Irish passenger

30178547-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Mass Transit System (BTS), the operator of the Skytrain, yesterday apologised to a foreign passenger who claimed he was attacked by a security guard for breaching a rule banning gas-filled balloons on the rail system.

Full story:

Channel 3 just had extensive coverage again this morning, including an interview with the Irish guy who is the subject of the controversy. He stated that he admits he should have acted differently, but that the actions of smacking him by the guard were not an appropriate response.

He also said he was greatly dismayed by all the nonstop gossip about him on the online forums. coffee1.gif

If you look at the video, he was already bleeding while he was on the other side of the gates, where no security guard is present.

On top of that, he does seem like an aggressive a-hole.

Seeing how the guy seemed to want to punch the security guard, if I were the BTS guy, I would have clubbed him in the head as well.

But, as always, the farang apologetist/"thais hate farangs" brigade will soon swarm this topic.

What, just like you have !WPFflags.gif

For those who speak a foreign language but cannot read and understand pictures?

no-signs.jpg

IMG_1542%2B-%2BVersion%2B2.jpg

But you know how some signs are so badly translated here that you might start to ignore the English translation.

He might have thought it meant no skinny ties.

+2 for originality.

As for Nisa, judging by the level of your posting, I'd gladly send you ten balloons today for your graduation from Grade 1. wink.png

I made a concerted effort to find this type of sign at Phrom Phong station this morning and it's not there. Oh, maybe it's posted INSIDE the turnstiles with the no food and no drink signs.

Have to agree with you about Nisa; it's arguments border on being more childish than immature.

For those who speak a foreign language but cannot read and understand pictures?

no-signs.jpg

IMG_1542%2B-%2BVersion%2B2.jpg

But you know how some signs are so badly translated here that you might start to ignore the English translation.

He might have thought it meant no skinny ties.

lol, i missed this gem of a post among this shitheap of a thread..

great observation.

Typical, I have seen the same type of thugery from Transit inspectors in Australia. This type of violence should under no circumstances be condoned. The man is clearly non hostile and is trying to understand why he has become a victim of such unforgiviable agression.

So much for a happy day out on the train with girl and kids. -sack them immediately.

Typical, I have seen the same type of thugery from Transit inspectors in Australia. This type of violence should under no circumstances be condoned. The man is clearly non hostile and is trying to understand why he has become a victim of such unforgiviable agression.

So much for a happy day out on the train with girl and kids. -sack them immediately.

I guess they edited out the part where they beat him about the face!

Will the public get to see the CCTV film of the incident...persuming if it hasn't already mysteriously vanished?...Only then can an educated opinion be seen for what it is, instead of some of the constant kangaroo court mentallity drivel being shown on here for what it is over the last day!

What I see on the video is a man being stopped at one entrance before entering and then proceeding to another entrance only to try and force his way by the guards. Another case of a Farang thinking he is better than anyone else.

You can also clearly see that this was a setup. At the end of the video, the second Farang looks at the camera and gives a thumbs up.

I don´t really see why he shouldn´t be allowed to carry the balloons on the train, when it´s no crime to bring a dirty bicycle.

Balloons aren't always harmless. Don't always assume they are filled with Helium. Hydrogen is much cheaper, gives more profit & let me tell you from experience it really goes "boom" if there's a spark.

For pure safety reasons you don't let balloons on the train. Dirty bikes don't explode on impact. You don't want to be on the train when a, "Oh the humanity" situation arises.

Sad case which has done nothing to bring either the "Farangs who hate Thais" and the "Thais who hate Farangs" closer.

Sad case which has done nothing to bring either the "Farangs who hate Thais" and the "Thais who hate Farangs" closer.

Don't forget the "Farangs who hate Farangs who hate Thais" camp.

or the farangs who hate thais who hate farangs who hate other farangs who like thais that hate farangs