Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard - Police Launch Investigation

webfact

Yes, I do understand that the thing aboout Muay Thai was meant to be tongue in cheek (though it wasn't very funny).

Yes, I'm sure that a higher proportion of Thais in uniform may well be trained in Muay Thai to some degree (though I'm not sure if this includes security guards, who generally attract derision from many, not necessarily me).

It may surprise you that I agree, the guards do seem to do well by not escalating the situation in the video. I'm not sure what they would have done if the friend hadn't been there, though. Nor do I think hitting the guy in the face was correct procedure.

I'm not sure that not kicking his ass is to be commended, though. Would it be that hard to stop themselves? If they can't restrain themselves from going to town on someone, maybe they shouldn't be secuity guards. Evidently, at least one needs a lesson in proportionate response, though, again, CAN WE SEE THE EVIDENCE FIRST?

I didn't say anything about muay thai being ineffective. I know it is effective, though maybe not in terms of security, as it seems too potentially lethal to me. I actually did some training in it myself (only a year, not much), before I decided that my lifestyle didn't really demand it and I switched to a softer martial art.

Credit to your friend's daughter for this achivement; I don't know what that has to do with anything. Just hope it doesn't affect her schoolwork, like a Tae Kwon Do ace student I had, who devoted most of her potential to this and not her studies.

I wouldn't want my child to learn it at a young age; not least because I feel there are other, maybe intellectually stimulating things he could be doing with his time, and because I don't want him to hurt others for no reason (which I see some of my students doing sometimes- unless you think 7 year olds , none of whom have much developed empathy yet, should be learning elbow strikes). This is my personal feeling, and I don't want to press it on others.

I'm not sure how you know the foreigner doesn't know muay thai himself, or if he doesn't know another martial art, or if he's isn't just a really tough guy.

I'm not sure why muay thai got mentioned at all, unless you like perpetuating stereotypes of Asian people (actually, no adult Thais I know practice muay thai dilligently, or at all, though I admit this might be a small sample).

I am unsure why I would want to spout of about Rama V to anyone, least of all a Thai person in uniform. Your apparent desire for someone trained in muay thai to kick the ass of someone who disagrees with you on something speaks something to your character, though.

However, the refusal of some people here to consider anything that doesn't fit in with their points of view, on this and many other subjects I read here, says something too.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply, really. I was reacting to what I believed you were saying...which was something along the lines of "lucky for those guards that guy was restrained since it is obvious he would have done some damage to the security guards. My point was, it is not obvious, since we have no idea who he was screwing around with, since they maintained such a professional and measured response to his behavior. The stereotype I was responding to was that all big bad Farang can simply kick anyone's ass, whenever they fell so inclined. To that I say..."best of luck."

i did find your reply interesting and well measured.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess it is fairly misleading to have the video at the start of this thread which shows only the aftermath of the assault. Obviously most of the hang em high mob here is convinced the video shows the event from begining to end

This is a man coming back from his daughters graduation and the balloons were given to her on that day. She is 7 and she obviously felt the ballons were special. They already been on other bts trains that day with the balloons and they were on their way home. A guard tried to stop the father from entering the turnstiles with the balloons even though his daughter had already gone through.

What happened next is unclear but we know the father was hit on the head with a metal detector. When the video starts he already has blood running down his face.

Ok now judge the man based on the video posted here and the missing information we do not have.

Worth mentioning that he still was trying to take the ballons through the turnstile and up onto the BTS. It is an important point and shows he had no intention of ever following the rule. Just because he had done so earlier is not a reason to ingnore the rule now.

TH

This thread is madness! Opinion of many appears to be....The guard upon seeing balloons went ballistic and tried to kill the placid, polite Irish fellah!

Maybe the guard had flashbacks to his childhood when mummy wouldnt buy him a balloon and this sparked his psychotic behaviour

He he!rolleyes.gif

Worth mentioning that he still was trying to take the ballons through the turnstile and up onto the BTS. It is an important point and shows he had no intention of ever following the rule. Just because he had done so earlier is not a reason to ingnore the rule now.

TH

When the law is flaunted at every turn by everyone else, it becomes the norm and the local culture. When in Rome.... or Bangkok. And NOW you want people to obey the law ? It's not just because he was a white-skinned Irishman, perchance?

I agree that the incident likely happened because he is a "white-skinned Irishman" but it had more do with the "white-skinned Irishman's" behavior which is likely due to his own cultural instincts. His statements that he should have behaved differently show even he realizes that now.

TH

I imagine if this farang was not White, many of the "outraged" posters here would say he got what he deserved and should have dumped the balloons as ordered by the guard.

It is clear from the video the guy should have dumped the balloons or asked to speak to the guard's supervisor. Instead, he did what I see many do: think just because he is a bit bigger and foreign, the rules are optional for him. He should have also considered his child and wife could be harmed or distressed if things were to escalate and (again) ask to speak to a supervisor instead of bullying his way into the station.

Som non na.

I feel bad for the trauma inflicted on the little girl. He should have thought about that. The balloons were NOT worth that!!!

Also, it is not difficult to imagine the brawny father likely was shouting obscenities or worse as guys like him often do, and THAT was why he got banged up. According to Thai TV, he is a teacher which likely means he knows some choice words in Thai.

Ouch!

This thread is madness! Opinion of many appears to be....The guard upon seeing balloons went ballistic and tried to kill the placid, polite Irish fellah!

Maybe the guard had flashbacks to his childhood when mummy wouldnt buy him a balloon and this sparked his psychotic behaviour

You mean he's all grown-up now? rolleyes.gif

Edited by Payboy

Imageaspx-2.jpg

Assaulted Foreign Teacher Claims BTS Guard Overdid His Duty

An Irish English teacher who was assaulted by a security guard at a BTS skytrain station claimed no wrongdoing.

The aggressive guard has been fired and the company is considering disciplinary action against negligent staff.

An English teacher from Ireland, John Behan, and his wife Patcharamas Phoosri, gave further testimony at the Thong Lor Police Station last night about the alleged assault last Friday by a security guard hired by the Bangkok Mass Transit System, or BTS.

They also provided the investigator with screen shots of security camera footage captured during the incident.

Behan insisted that he was not engaged in wrongdoing and did not violate the security protocol. He felt that the guard overdid it on his duty.

The Irishman added not only did he sustain an injury and have to miss days of work, the incident also hurt his daughter's feeling who was at the scene.

He said the fact that BTS has sent flowers to apologize for the scandal could not make up for it.

Anat Arbhabhirama, the director and chairman of BTS's management committee, said the guard, whom it hired from an outside company, has been removed from his job, while an investigation is being conducted into negligence by employees who failed to act appropriately to control the situation.

He said Behan was angry that he was barred from carrying a balloon with him on to the train at Phromphong Station although he had been allowed so during his travel from Surasak Station.

Anat clarified that according the company's regulations and safety protocol, a balloon is not allowed into the transit system because it contains an inflammable gas.

The BTS executive, however, said the company is willing to give full cooperation to police investigation.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-03-23

footer_n.gif

Also, it is not difficult to imagine the brawny father likely was shouting obscenities or worse as guys like him often do, and THAT was why he got banged up. According to Thai TV, he is a teacher which likely means he knows some choice words in Thai.

Ouch!

Equally it's not difficult to imagine that there's a world wide terror plot revolving around the use of balloons as offensive weapons and currently terrorist sects the world over are taking over fun fares and amusement parks with the sole purpose of destroying civilization as we know it with explosive balloons... doesn't mean that it isn't a complete load of BS I just dreamed up does it?

Imageaspx-2.jpg

An Irish English teacher who was assaulted by a security guard at a BTS skytrain station claimed no wrongdoing.

The aggressive guard has been fired and the company is considering disciplinary action against negligent staff.

An English teacher from Ireland, John Behan, and his wife Patcharamas Phoosri, gave further testimony at the Thong Lor Police Station last night about the alleged assault last Friday by a security guard hired by the Bangkok Mass Transit System, or BTS.

They also provided the investigator with screen shots of security camera footage captured during the incident.

Behan insisted that he was not engaged in wrongdoing and did not violate the security protocol. He felt that the guard overdid it on his duty.

The Irishman added not only did he sustain an injury and have to miss days of work, the incident also hurt his daughter's feeling who was at the scene.

He said the fact that BTS has sent flowers to apologize for the scandal could not make up for it.

Anat Arbhabhirama, the director and chairman of BTS's management committee, said the guard, whom it hired from an outside company, has been removed from his job, while an investigation is being conducted into negligence by employees who failed to act appropriately to control the situation.

He said Behan was angry that he was barred from carrying a balloon with him on to the train at Phromphong Station although he had been allowed so during his travel from Surasak Station.

Anat clarified that according the company's regulations and safety protocol, a balloon is not allowed into the transit system because it contains an inflammable gas.

The BTS executive, however, said the company is willing to give full cooperation to police investigation.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

<deleted>? So he doesn't think his reaction might have hurt his daughters feelings?!!!!!! I give up. Cya.

Excessive force. Jesus, he's with his family carrying balloons. I don't care if he was an a-hole and kicking trash cans. They should have called the police and let them handle it, not bludgeon him. Maybe we all should wear helmets when taking our families on the BTS.

• Like 2

Ouch!

It is not difficult to imagine anything, if you have no evidence or proof. Sheer speculation.

Excessive force. Jesus, he's with his family carrying balloons. I don't care if he was an a-hole and kicking trash cans. They should have called the police and let them handle it, not bludgeon him. Maybe we all should wear helmets when taking our families on the BTS.

A sane post at last! Can we just all leave it at that, clearly excessive force which is not excusable for any of the (mainly fantasized) reasons being posted on here.

Nationality is irrelevant.

Color of skin is irrelevant.

Number of balloons is irrelevant.

Aggressiveness of Irishman is totally irrelevant.

Gas used to fill the balloons is irrelevant.

The balloons are totally irrelevant.

This guy has been clubbed in the head in front of his wife and daughter for Christ's sake. The fact this happened in Thailand is also totally irrelevant; had a rail guard in the UK assaulted a customer in this fashion he'd not only be fired but would be facing a minimum of 2 years inside for GBH. Had this been a policeman totally different story, they are trained to uphold the law, rail guards are not, nor is it their duty to...

Ouch!

It is not difficult to imagine anything, if you have no evidence or proof. Sheer speculation.

I personally imagine a land free from balloon induced hysteria, where a family can walk together in harmony not fearing assault over whatever children's toy they might have on their person.

A land of common sense, where one can clearly distinguish between reasonable and excessive force.

A land where every single item of news isn't twisted to serve the purpose of deluded individuals with petty axes to grind.

A land where nationality and race don't dictate right or wrong.

Then I woke up, read the turgid procession of BS posted on TV and came crashing back to earth.... the end.

Security guards in Thailand ?what a joke.When I go to Makro supermarket they like to be officious.telling me to put my small backpack with my phone.netbook etc at the customer service coumter.when I refuse pointing out the females with their large handbags are free to take in,the usual thai blank look.I have yet to give over my backpack and not been refused entry or physically challenged

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Imageaspx-2.jpg

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

Bloody hell! Even the media can't get their facts right, even after he's been interviewed. Now, please listen carefully, especially those that need more time to process simple/non-threatening vocabulary.

Ok, ready? ..............He is NOT an English Teacher!

There a so many things in life that are so easy to figure out. This is one, as far as i'm concerned. The farang was 100% wrong. Then people say the use of force was excessive. #1, this isn't even your country (unless you are Thai), who are you to even decide if that is excessive in tha situation or not? #2 What if the balloons were loaded with a chemical agent? These guys are COMPELLED to put a stop to it for the safety of us all (thank god for that).... they can't just let the guy on and call the cops. Case closed as far as i'm concerned. I'm sure all the guards will be wrongfully fired etc.... i'm sick of farangs and I am one of them. When you go to another country you just don't act like this.

Ah..another 'I'm more important than you' farang'. Any takers for him being a Brit?

Turns out he was one of those "nice" Irish people, you know the ones that refer to us as Brits in a derogatory way. Typical a load of people liked your post because it had a pop at British peolple, probably still wearing their Gunness hats after celebrating the plastic paddies day.

Security guards in Thailand ?what a joke.When I go to Makro supermarket they like to be officious.telling me to put my small backpack with my phone.netbook etc at the customer service coumter.when I refuse pointing out the females with their large handbags are free to take in,the usual thai blank look.I have yet to give over my backpack and not been refused entry or physically challenged

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Ah but bet your not carrying balloons as well, if you were expect a crack round the head by a ninja security guard wielding a metal detector

Edited by Soutpeel

Would anyone else think that they should shake hands and get on with their lives?

Drop the T from BTS and let it stand as-is?

Balloons of mass destruction, ninja security guards.................... Wakey Wakey, time to go to bed.

• Like 1

This is a typical example of bad journalism. The plain facts are this: a normal working farang with his daughter is trying to get through BTS gates with balloons in his hand. The man is already bloodied when the video starts, so how can anyone assume he was hit with a baton ? A security guard is trying to do his job preventing him to get through (is it because of the balloons or because he seems to skip the ticket control system ?). If we have to establish who assaulted who, the video shows the farang assaulting the security guard and not the opposite (hence bad journalism). How did he get bloodied ? The video does not show. If we have to consider reasonable common sense, not the farang nor the security guard have shown some: the former for hitting and the latter for strictly forbidding such an innocuous act.

I was struck by the fact that whoever shot this video seemed to have an inkling or foreknowledge that trouble was going to brew. He/she was ready with camera rolling at the turnstile even before the trouble started. Anyway, the video makes it clear that the white man was arrogant and was seeking trouble with his violent behaviour. Let him get violent in his own country and get his ass kicked and more. Thais should simply ignore this incident and throw such violent foreigners into the clanger where they can regain their composure.

• Like 1

All I can see on this Video is, that the Farang assault the security Guard, hit him in the face, so his hat fell off, and when the second security guards appears, he get kicked by the other Farang.

imo, the Farang had not the correct ticket and didn't wanted to accept the punishment for that !

Why is it twisted against the Thai here ? it's clear visible, who assaulted who: Farang assaulted Thai !

this kind of news and comments sucks.

But want happened before Mr camera phone started recording things???? Maybe the little Thai guard assaulted the farang first? No one knows exactly what happened.

If Thai guard struck first it was probably a sneaky, sucker blow from behind. Delivered by someone safe in the knowledge that should he subsequently start getting his arse kicked by farang, he'll be baled out by half a dozen Thais, all eager to have a cheap shot at said farang.

My take on things, probably a narrow minded one, but I've lost count of how many unfair fights I've seen in Thailand, and that includes Thai on Thai. Fight fair, lads, then maybe we wont always jump to conclusions.

I was struck by the fact that whoever shot this video seemed to have an inkling or foreknowledge that trouble was going to brew. He/she was ready with camera rolling at the turnstile even before the trouble started. Anyway, the video makes it clear that the white man was arrogant and was seeking trouble with his violent behaviour. Let him get violent in his own country and get his ass kicked and more. Thais should simply ignore this incident and throw such violent foreigners into the clanger where they can regain their composure.

Maybe just maybe the farang had a bloody head because the incident had already happened and that just maybe is what caused the person to start filming. If only someone had pointed this out somewhere in the thread.

• Like 2