Foreigner Assaulted At Bangkok BTS Station By Security Guard - Police Launch Investigation

webfact

On BTS own website they say that there is no rule against balloons. It is up to the judgement of each station, depending on the person and their balloons entering.

Link please. This goes against every sign I see at the BTS as well as the statements in the OP from the BTS President.

But even if what you say is accurate this station obviously had a rule in place that was too much for this guy to handle without a violent outburst ... according to the initial BTS investigation and the video.

http://www.bts.co.th....aspx?id=194187

I have seen against balloons at the MRT, not remember seeing it for the BTS.

Thanks but that is actually a link to a web board where anyone can post questions and replies. Not even sure if the person replying here is affiliated with the BTS but even if this is the case and the it still is a moot issue as it applies to this incident since clearly he wasn't allowed balloons at this station and/or situation and this clearly would indicate being within the rules even on this web board.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If he was hit without doing anything wrong, he is not an asshol_e.

If he was hit having been confused about the rules, due too language/communication/no clear warnin signs etc. problems, he is not an asshol_e.

If he understood the rules but didn't obey them immediately when challenged, on the grounds that they are ridiculous, or unreliably implemented, then he is a little assholish, but I would still take his side.

If he was aggressive, boorish, or drunk from the start, he is an asshol_e, yes; however, the guard is still at fault for smacking him over the head, he is unprofessionally trained, and maybe if Thailand wants to be seen as a safe tourist destination, this isn't the best demonstration.

The guy- innocent until proven guilty, or he confesses to his state of mind.

The guard- almost certainly at fault and potentially up on attempted murder in other countries (don't start with that Florida thing, just because a developed country can be wrong doesn't mean it's okay for a developing country to be wrong as well).

If you are told you cannot enter the BTS by security then in my opinion you are an a@@hole if you don't comply regardless if you understand the reason why or you are with your Thai wife and kid who for some reason also don't understand English or simple words like a "no" while pointing at the balloons. In my opinion anyone on a foriegn country who doesn't seek help in communications or simply obey authority figures (who clearly are telling you not to enter) is an a@@hole. However, simply being an a@@hole doesn't mean you should be assaulted but if you start destroying other people's property and try to force your way onto other people's property you have been told you cannot enter then it would seem you are asking for a violent confrontation.

• Like 1

There is no proof, and not in the video either, that the man started destroying any BTS property.

I am concerned when some posters disregard anything that is posted from an, Thai, eyewitness that isn't related to be people involved - but happily repeats allegations posted by a reporter writing up a piece of a statement made by one of the parties, BTS, in this confrontation.

One is clearly less likely to be overly biased. And it isn't the one you put your trust in.

Has no one here ever been hit? I am proud to stay away from all of that pathetic hard man type of world, I don't want to fight, I probably couldn't fight if I wanted to, and even so, I have been hit before (I committed the crime of walking through someone's territory, before you ask). Being hit made me, for a while, lose all sense; I made a pathetic attempt to defend myself, I tried to run away, I started to get my nerves back and started getting aggressive. I am sure a doctor can explain this in terms of adrenaline / fight and flight etc.

I really don't think this guy was acting one tenth as badly as he could have done in the video. If you think that is a truly shocking whirlwind of devastation, for God's sake don't ever watch an action movie, you might wet yourself...

Seriously, though, the guy was just beaned unexpectedly. This will impair your better judgment. The scene afterwards is not a cataclysm of violence. Do you have any capacity for empathy?

This thread proves that people take sides and assume things based on experience from their past.

All I can say is I'm glad that wasn't me.

If he got caught up in something that was innocently blown out of proportion, then that is bad luck.

If his actions and words caused this problem, then better him than me.

In all reality, this is a very minor incident. Everybody involved can still go home. As pointed out in previous posts, some situations like this can become out of control.

I still think BTS should have denied service to this man because of his demeanor. Nobody on the public transportation system should be put in an unsafe condition from a person not acting in a civil manner. I expect BTS security will become tougher based on this incident. If the BTS denies you service, just walk away and try another means to get home that day. Don't go on a balloon manifesto.

Making little comments to the effect that someone is an idiot because they don't share your viewpoint is also not helpful.

Where in the world did I indicate somebody was an idiot? If I did, I certainly didn't mean to and apologize. Sometimes emotions and or tone don't always come across properly in posts. But if I point out what seems to be facts against non-facts and it makes you believe the person is an idiot then I can't help that. I don't have enough emotional investment in this topic to want to make anyone seem like an idiot but I do like to defend myself when somebody misstates what I have posted. If I have posted the same thing it is simply because I am responding to somebody else claiming I said something I didn't.

Edited by Nisa

There is no proof, and not in the video either, that the man started destroying any BTS property.

I am concerned when some posters disregard anything that is posted from an, Thai, eyewitness that isn't related to be people involved - but happily repeats allegations posted by a reporter writing up a piece of a statement made by one of the parties, BTS, in this confrontation.

One is clearly less likely to be overly biased. And it isn't the one you put your trust in.

Where are the eye witness statements? I haven't seen anything yet. Did I miss them in these 20 plus pages or are they on some news site that isn't being posted here yet?

Over 500 posts about this incident, well done everyone!

Nearly put the world to rights over a, lets face it, a minor incident that has been brought to the attention of the masses by a U-Tube video. The only near disturbing thing about it all is that the child had to endure what has happened.

What I cannot understand regardless of who was in the right or in the wrong throughout, is the body language of the Irish guy and his mate. Typically, when as has been suggested, someone has been ordered to do something (that is what security is there for) and then hit in the face by an object for not complying, they are going to be pretty upset. When the adreneline starts pumping it is a natural reaction to retaliate if only to defend yourself from further injury, especially against a smaller opposition.

Granted the video doesn't show what happened previously, but from the start of the video the Irish guy is acting rather submissively with the exception of the incident when he lashed out when surrounded. Yet the security guard stayed close throughout, not looking threatening at all. This is a personal opinion, but to me these actions/body language would suggest that the alleged victim had something to be ashamed of.

Irregardless of my observations above, the most dam-ning thing throughout the video was the fact that he never once reassured the child or got her out of the way. Full credit for the Thai lady for trying to help the kid.

Reality will probably show that there were wrongs on both sides, but I would love to see the CCTV footage for 10 minutes before this video was shot.

• Like 1

I don't know how the guy was told about the balloons; for all I know the guard speaks the exact same language as the farang, even putting on a similar accent to make him feel connected. Maybe it was a case of the guard pointing at the balloons and saying "no", even though if this action was performed at me, unexpectedly, I might be momentarily confused and seek clarification.

The point is, at the moment, no one knows how he was told, or if he was told, aside from gossip. Maybe the guard immediately started hitting him after a bad day at work. That probably isn't true, but at this time, until further evidence is presented, it's as true as anything you can say.

Where in the world did I indicate somebody was an idiot? If I did, I certainly didn't mean to and apologize.

Some of your posts could be construed as making an attack on the intelligence of others, even if you did not intend that.

With that being said, I am sure you (and most everyone else here) are in agreement that we are all adults here and are fully capable of having a rational intelligent discussion in a civilized manner.

Watching the video it really does make me sickened to have this little girl be a part of this especially given she walked over to the security guard and handed him her balloons as if to be the adult in the situation only to then see her dad (at least as was reported in Thai news) throw a kick at the security guard.

But given the statements from the BTS of compensating the victim regardless of police outcome and suspending the guard, I tend to believe the statements the guy went nutty & violent after being told he couldn't bring the balloons on the train. Also tend to believe this is the case because they report he was mad in part because he said he rode earlier in the day with them. I really don't think it has anything to do with communication problems at least in terms of his not understanding he was being told he couldn't bring the balloons onto the train.

But again, a very sad for the girl that one way or another will have a lasting effect on her and almost surely a very regretful day for others involved.

Here's more info to the mix. The nation just ran another story with BTS apologizing ( http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/BTS-apologises-for-guards-clash-with-Irish-passeng-30178547.html ) but I am sure TV will update it shortly (the thing just came out a few minutes ago.

See some of the quotes from the article:

"We have already removed the guard who were involved from the BTS system," BTS executive Anat Arbhabhirama said yesterday.

He added that negligent officials - who he said were the source of the passenger's dissatisfaction - would also face a disciplinary probe and harsh disciplinary action.

See also:

Anat said he believed there might have been a problem with communication, as station staff were not fluent in English.

According to the lastest news article the Irishman just walked through the gate with the balloons. Did it occur to anyone that maybe, just maybe, he didn't hear or understand that the Thai guard was telling him that he couldn't take balloons? If the Thai wasn't good at English, and the Irishman didn't speak Thai....

We just got more information. Maybe we should postpone judgment until we know more facts...just my opinion.

500 posts. Is this a new record? I do not posses the psychic powers of other posters who seem to be able to determine why the balloon baboon showed up with what looks like the receiving end of a pretty righteous over hand right....before the filming began.

I looked at the film. Folks...if you just watch the film from beginning to end and forget the editorial, you have an aggressive passenger running through the gate, attacking two uniformed guards, and being restrained by his friend.

Frankly, this could be used as a training film for police and guards on how to correctly contain a violent suspect without escalating the situation, endangering others and not hurting a person who is waaaaay out of control.

Note to self, when in a country whose national sport is kick boxing, do not...I repeat...NOT...kick a guy in uniform. How that guard restrained himself from round housing that idiot...I will never know. Well done BTS...very well done indeed.

Great non-biased post. I did want to mention too that the guy looks like he got punched in the eye and not a club to the head. No doubt the video is shaky and my eyes not that good but certainly looks like a punch to the eye and I don't see any security with a baton. I can't recall but assume some of the security on the MRT has batons but just couldn't make out any in the video.

What is funny (sad) is that if security is issued a baton then I am almost certain they are not supposed to use it. Regardless of the situation, I believe they can expect serious problems from their employer for being aggressive with anybody, even if they are being assaulted. It is often just the Thai way. As we see in this video the guy makes a number of attempts (possibly connecting) to assault the officers including knocking ones hat off and throwing a kick the stomach/chest of another and none of these guards responded in a way that I think would be appropriate (physically forcing this guy into submission and handcuffs) as would be the case in most, if not all, western countries.

• Like 1

Again, the video does not show the hitting, which might have prompted any or all of the behaviour shown by the guy in the video.

However, the admission that the guy was restrained by his friend means that, as far as I can see, the guards did almost nothing. If not for the friend, who knows what might have happed? (As I have said, I think the guy was restraining himself quite well given what he could have done).

If anything, the friend should be the recipient of any congratulations. The idea that the guards should be commended for what looks like doing very little and allowing the mate to stop the guy is ridiculous (admittedly, maybe they were saying something really soothing or defusing- I don't know).

Especially considering one of them is presumably the one who lamped the guy in the first place, I assume in breach of most concepts of public security (at least in other countries which get actual training).

Here's more info to the mix. The nation just ran another story with BTS apologizing ( http://www.nationmul...g-30178547.html ) but I am sure TV will update it shortly (the thing just came out a few minutes ago.

According to the lastest news article the Irishman just walked through the gate with the balloons. Did it occur to anyone that maybe, just maybe, he didn't hear or understand that the Thai guard was telling him that he couldn't take balloons? If the Thai wasn't good at English, and the Irishman didn't speak Thai....

I personally believe they are just trying to save the guy face (as you know is the Thai way when trying to resolve an issue) by talking about communication problems because it also states he became irate after learning he couldn't take the balloons onboard because he had taken them earlier in the day. Not to mention the wife's comments are centered around why the balloons meant so much to him. Certainly there could have been communications problems in his understanding why he got away with it earlier but it seems clear he was told he couldn't board the train with the balloons this time and in my opinion he should have just accepted this and grabbed a cab if the balloons were that important to him.

Irish teacher John Behan did not stop when security guards at Prompong Station told him he could not take balloons onto the train, saying he had boarded the Skytrain several times that day with the balloons,

"The balloons are gifts from her teachers and other parents on her graduation day. They have much sentimental value to her," Patcharamas said in the message. "My husband, his coworkers, our daughter and my mom took the Sktrain with the balloons before they ended up having problems at the Prompong station."

and from the OP

BTS officials told the foreigner he had to abandon the balloons if he wants to go on the train but he refused, saying that he was let on the BTS with the balloons earlier in the day.

Arnat claimed the foreigner then started to get aggressive, kicking at trash cans, resulting in security guards being called in to subdue him.
Edited by Nisa

500 posts. Is this a new record? I do not posses the psychic powers of other posters who seem to be able to determine why the balloon baboon showed up with what looks like the receiving end of a pretty righteous over hand right....before the filming began.

I looked at the film. Folks...if you just watch the film from beginning to end and forget the editorial, you have an aggressive passenger running through the gate, attacking two uniformed guards, and being restrained by his friend.

Frankly, this could be used as a training film for police and guards on how to correctly contain a violent suspect without escalating the situation, endangering others and not hurting a person who is waaaaay out of control.

Note to self, when in a country whose national sport is kick boxing, do not...I repeat...NOT...kick a guy in uniform. How that guard restrained himself from round housing that idiot...I will never know. Well done BTS...very well done indeed.

Great non-biased post. I did want to mention too that the guy looks like he got punched in the eye and not a club to the head. No doubt the video is shaky and my eyes not that good but certainly looks like a punch to the eye and I don't see any security with a baton. I can't recall but assume some of the security on the MRT has batons but just couldn't make out any in the video.

What is funny (sad) is that if security is issued a baton then I am almost certain they are not supposed to use it. Regardless of the situation, I believe they can expect serious problems from their employer for being aggressive with anybody, even if they are being assaulted. It is often just the Thai way. As we see in this video the guy makes a number of attempts (possibly connecting) to assault the officers including knocking ones hat off and throwing a kick the stomach/chest of another and none of these guards responded in a way that I think would be appropriate (physically forcing this guy into submission and handcuffs) as would be the case in most, if not all, western countries.

Thank you for your kind words. I find the reaction to this incident a facinating study in reality being subjective. I am impressed by the way this was handled, and for those that think there is a better way, you are cordially invited to visit Boston, push a guard and kick another. You will flat on your face with a knee on your neck and in cuffs faster than you can say "I have balloons." Oh, and when you get to a spot where there are no cameras, you will receive a severe beating, and a citation for resisting arrest. Yep, attack a Boston Cop...and then...have a nice stay at Mass General Hospital.

Again...well done BTS...no blood...no foul.

• Like 1

I personally believe they are just trying to save the guy face (as you know is the Thai way when trying to resolve an issue) by talking about communication problems because it also states he became irate after learning he couldn't take the balloons onboard because he had taken them earlier in the day. Not to mention the wife's comments are centered around why the balloons meant so much to him. Certainly there could have been communications problems in his understanding why he got away with it earlier but it seems clear he was told he couldn't board the train with the balloons this time and in my opinion he should have just accepted this and grabbed a cab if the balloons were that important to him.

Irish teacher John Behan did not stop when security guards at Prompong Station told him he could not take balloons onto the train, saying he had boarded the Skytrain several times that day with the balloons,

"The balloons are gifts from her teachers and other parents on her graduation day. They have much sentimental value to her," Patcharamas said in the message. "My husband, his coworkers, our daughter and my mom took the Sktrain with the balloons before they ended up having problems at the Prompong station."

That may be true...or it may not... I really want to see the CCTV video.

Edited by submaniac

"Great non-biased post?" Yes, all Thai people are expert kickboxers. Just because you like it, doesn't mean it's unbiased.

Yes, I am biased in the sense that I believe he was hit before the video started. It is pretty difficult sometimes to work out the truth of what happened from what part of a story. For example, in North By Northwest, Cary Grant is seen holding a murder weapon next to a dead guy. This must mean Cary Grant killed the guy, obviously... Wait, more to the story than just that? Impossible!

It is, in fact, biased to look at one piece of information at the expense of all others, especially if it is confirming your own bias (whether a subconcious one or not). Could we wait to see if there is any video from before the incident before we assume the guy is a dirty violent thuggish bully? How about we get all the evidence before we hang the guy, or, more realistically, ruin his career?

Reality will probably show that there were wrongs on both sides, but I would love to see the CCTV footage for 10 minutes before this video was shot.

This is a key point......without it all we are doing is guessing.

The two things I wonder about are

1) First & foremost why did the guy not just give up the dang balloons

2) if it was important enough to bang the guy in the head over the balloons why does he still

have them afterwards in this later shot video where he is already bloodied?

Something does not add up.....Then again while speculating that is not exactly unheard of eh?

Edited by flying

That may be true...or it may not... I really want to see the CCTV video.

Without a doubt, I think we all do. And again, this is just an opinion from what I have been reading in the reports but it does seem like the BTS and officials are acting very properly (and in an what would be considered an extremely respectable Thai fashion) in the aftermath of this and I presently have almost zero doubt they are being upfront about what happened given they have seen the video and don't seem to be all that concerned with looking bad (apology, suspension, compensation, further discipline for others..)

Edited by Nisa

"Great non-biased post?" Yes, all Thai people are expert kickboxers. Just because you like it, doesn't mean it's unbiased.

Do you really believe the below quote about kick boxing states all Thai people are experts in kick boxing or even that it was not meant as a humorous (but truthful) comment?

Note to self, when in a country whose national sport is kick boxing, do not...I repeat...NOT...kick a guy in uniform.
Edited by Nisa

Again, the video does not show the hitting, which might have prompted any or all of the behaviour shown by the guy in the video.

However, the admission that the guy was restrained by his friend means that, as far as I can see, the guards did almost nothing. If not for the friend, who knows what might have happed? (As I have said, I think the guy was restraining himself quite well given what he could have done).

If anything, the friend should be the recipient of any congratulations. The idea that the guards should be commended for what looks like doing very little and allowing the mate to stop the guy is ridiculous (admittedly, maybe they were saying something really soothing or defusing- I don't know).

Especially considering one of them is presumably the one who lamped the guy in the first place, I assume in breach of most concepts of public security (at least in other countries which get actual training).

I believe the operative word in your posting is "presumably" Actually, not kicking the crap out of someone when you are well within your rights to do so, IS doing something.

I hope you never suffer from the false belief that a solid Muay Thai boxer can't lay low those without skills. Should you doubt this, one of my best friends has a 14 year old daughter ranked in the top 5 in the World. Unless you are also trained in the art, let us know if you would like to put 100,000 baht on the table, she would be happy to hand it to Dad after she "shows you how."

My point is, if you mix it up with a Thai in uniform, there is a pretty strong chance he can put it to you quickly.

The proposition that the guy was "...restraining himself quite well given what he could have done" overlooks this point.

I do agree, the hero here is his good friend who made sure he did not get several swift kicks.

I remember an incident long ago, when a Swiss dude over 2+ meters tall got into it with a rather small Thai gentleman. I think they flew his ashes back to be spread in the Alps.

"No blood, no foul"? I think there was some blood- it's in the <deleted> video! The reasons for this blood were administered before the video took place, so it is NOT as a result of what we see in the video.

And AGAIN, at this time, there is no reason to believe it was warranted in the first place, UNTIL there is some more evidence.

My wife was just watching this on Thai Tv and said he shouldn't have been aggressive. I had to explain to her that the video was taken after he was hit (this wasn't made very clear), that we need to see evidence of what happened before we judge, we are being shown a reaction not an action etc. Do you think everyone else will just forget if it is proven that he wasn't at fault, or minimally at fault? Would this even be reported if it were the case? You think his career will be in good shape, let alone his Visa?

Some people on this forum really don't have much of an idea of justice other than the type which comes after the jerk of a knee.

Do you really believe the below quote about kick boxing states all Thai people are experts in kick boxing or even that it was not meant as a humorous (but truthful) comment?

Note to self, when in a country whose national sport is kick boxing, do not...I repeat...NOT...kick a guy in uniform.

(1) Not all Thais are expert kick boxers. (2) All i said was, watch the film without a crystal ball, and you will see some expert security tactics,...since...in a case like this...nothing is actually something. (3) Although not ALL Thais are expert fighters, i will bet that on a per capita bases, they are better equipped to defend themselves with force that most people in western countries. And, if you understand some basic Muay Thai, it is actually true that the bigger they are, the harder they fall. I personally would hate to have my knee broken, and receive a knee to the face...in 3 seconds. (4) I recognize that you will not agree with any of this, and that is OK. So, please, ignore my advice ...and if you ever are face to face with a uniformed Thai authority figure, feel free share your genuine feelings about King Rama 5. THAT should get interesting quickly! :-)

According to Anat, Behan argued heatedly with the security guards, pushing one in the chest and kicking the chief of the station. In self-defence, a security guard hit the passenger with a scanner.

"The chief of the station then tried to provide first aid, but the passenger refused and tried to walk up the platform. Then, the scene turned chaotic again," Anat said.

He said BTS would take additional measures to ensure that such an incident never happened again.

Anat said BTS would cooperate with the investigation into a complaint filed by Behan. In his complaint, Behan said he was attacked while his young daughter was watching.......

In a message posted on the Internet, Behan's wife Patcharamas Phusri said the incident took place on March 16, the day her daughter celebrated her graduation from a kindergarten.

"The balloons are gifts from her teachers and other parents on her graduation day. They have much sentimental value to her," Patcharamas said in the message. "My husband, his coworkers, our daughter and my mom took the Sktrain with the balloons before they ended up having problems at the Prompong station." An informed source yesterday disclosed that many security guards at Siam Station were transferred for their failure to prevent Behan from carrying the floating balloons into a train.

In her post, Patcharamas said she was not present during the confrontation, but rushed to the scene as soon as she was notified that her husband was involved in an altercation.

"When I arrived, I found my husband was bleeding," she said. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/BTS-apologises-for-guards-clash-with-Irish-passeng-30178547.html

"No blood, no foul"? I think there was some blood- it's in the <deleted> video! The reasons for this blood were administered before the video took place, so it is NOT as a result of what we see in the video.

And AGAIN, at this time, there is no reason to believe it was warranted in the first place, UNTIL there is some more evidence.

My wife was just watching this on Thai Tv and said he shouldn't have been aggressive. I had to explain to her that the video was taken after he was hit (this wasn't made very clear), that we need to see evidence of what happened before we judge, we are being shown a reaction not an action etc. Do you think everyone else will just forget if it is proven that he wasn't at fault, or minimally at fault? Would this even be reported if it were the case? You think his career will be in good shape, let alone his Visa?

Some people on this forum really don't have much of an idea of justice other than the type which comes after the jerk of a knee.

Please enlighten us with evidence that his damaged eye is a result of BTS. Even if it was, (because he failed to obey the law,) I am saying the portion we DO see, is good security work, since they do not escalate the action, endanger others or hurt him.

But of course, he is an honored English teacher...so he is not capable of being a complete A Hole.

Would this even be reported if it were the case? You think his career will be in good shape, let alone his Visa?

It would seem he may have reported the incident only after BTS officials filed a complaint against him ... http://www.nationmul...g-30178547.html

The apology followed the filing of police complaints by both sides in the March 16 altercation at Prompong Station.

Anat said BTS would cooperate with the investigation into a complaint filed by Behan. In his complaint, Behan said he was attacked while his young daughter was watching.

Earlier in the day, Anat said BTS had lodged a complaint against Behan over damage to its property and attempts to assault its staff.
Edited by Nisa

Per the March 23, 2012 Nation News article:

"If a balloon explodes in a train compartment, other passengers may think a bomb has gone off and panic. A stampede could follow, and many people can be injured in such scenario."

I guess that would make sense why balloons are not allowed on BTS.

Yes, I do understand that the thing aboout Muay Thai was meant to be tongue in cheek (though it wasn't very funny).

Yes, I'm sure that a higher proportion of Thais in uniform may well be trained in Muay Thai to some degree (though I'm not sure if this includes security guards, who generally attract derision from many, not necessarily me).

It may surprise you that I agree, the guards do seem to do well by not escalating the situation in the video. I'm not sure what they would have done if the friend hadn't been there, though. Nor do I think hitting the guy in the face was correct procedure.

I'm not sure that not kicking his ass is to be commended, though. Would it be that hard to stop themselves? If they can't restrain themselves from going to town on someone, maybe they shouldn't be secuity guards. Evidently, at least one needs a lesson in proportionate response, though, again, CAN WE SEE THE EVIDENCE FIRST?

I didn't say anything about muay thai being ineffective. I know it is effective, though maybe not in terms of security, as it seems too potentially lethal to me. I actually did some training in it myself (only a year, not much), before I decided that my lifestyle didn't really demand it and I switched to a softer martial art.

Credit to your friend's daughter for this achivement; I don't know what that has to do with anything. Just hope it doesn't affect her schoolwork, like a Tae Kwon Do ace student I had, who devoted most of her potential to this and not her studies.

I wouldn't want my child to learn it at a young age; not least because I feel there are other, maybe intellectually stimulating things he could be doing with his time, and because I don't want him to hurt others for no reason (which I see some of my students doing sometimes- unless you think 7 year olds , none of whom have much developed empathy yet, should be learning elbow strikes). This is my personal feeling, and I don't want to press it on others.

I'm not sure how you know the foreigner doesn't know muay thai himself, or if he doesn't know another martial art, or if he's isn't just a really tough guy.

I'm not sure why muay thai got mentioned at all, unless you like perpetuating stereotypes of Asian people (actually, no adult Thais I know practice muay thai dilligently, or at all, though I admit this might be a small sample).

I am unsure why I would want to spout of about Rama V to anyone, least of all a Thai person in uniform. Your apparent desire for someone trained in muay thai to kick the ass of someone who disagrees with you on something speaks something to your character, though.

However, the refusal of some people here to consider anything that doesn't fit in with their points of view, on this and many other subjects I read here, says something too.