Bangkok Bound

mattwhim

:golf clap:

I've been here several times before on extended vacations and recently moved permanently about six months ago. I've found that Thai people treat me as I treat them. In fact most Thais I've met treat me much better than I ever expected to be treated as a foreigner. We're nowhere near as nice to foreigners in the USA.

Of course every society has its jerks, but Thailand seems to have less than its fair share, per capita. If I ever end up in a situation with a Thai who is nasty or just plain rude to me, I'll probably just turn my back and walk away. If it ever, I say if it ever happens, that is.

• Like 1

Welcome to Thailand Matt, I think if you approach things with a smile and a good attitude that is generally what you will find in return, Thailand can be frustrating for sure and I admire your willingness to live in such a big city, its certainly not my style, but good look to you and remember the good attitude - it takes you very very far.

Moving to Bangkok forum for those Bangkok residents

Congrats on a successful move. I think you will love it here. The Thai people are wonderful folks and you hit it on the head. Treat them well and you will get it back in spades. Don't get caught up in all the negatives you hear. Every country and every big city has its issues, but on whole Thailand and Bangkok have far less than most, and the positives far outweigh the negatives IMHO. Make sure you get out and see the rest of the country because it is beautiful. Good luck to you and your girlfriend.

:golf clap:

I've been here several times before on extended vacations and recently moved permanently about six months ago. I've found that Thai people treat me as I treat them. In fact most Thais I've met treat me much better than I ever expected to be treated as a foreigner. We're nowhere near as nice to foreigners in the USA.

Of course every society has its jerks, but Thailand seems to have less than its fair share, per capita. If I ever end up in a situation with a Thai who is nasty or just plain rude to me, I'll probably just turn my back and walk away. If it ever, I say if it ever happens, that is.

I could not agree more!

From your post it sounds like you're aged somewhere mid fifties to sixty.

You have a genuine girlfriend in Thailand ? Thats unusual to say the least.

How old is she

Where did you first meet

Does she have a tax file number.

Have you been sending her money.

<snip>

Edited by soundman
Removed inflammatory comment.

From your post it sounds like you're aged somewhere mid fifties to sixty.

You have a genuine girlfriend in Thailand ? Thats unusual to say the least.

How old is she

Where did you first meet

Does she have a tax file number.

Have you been sending her money.

<snip>

Sorry Elmer, not everyone shares your experiences. Some find girls who are not hanging on chrome poles.

OP, you will find that one of the sour tastes comes to you compliments of some TV posters.

The adjustment from the UK to Thailand will be easier as long as you keep reminding yourself daily, hourly and every minute, that this is Thailand, not UK. Don't compare ANYTHING in Thailand with the UK. Road courtesy for eg, is pretty much totally absent. However, other than Thai restaurants, where would you be greeted with a smile and a wai in any other restaurant in the UK?

Learn as much Thai as you can, as quickly as you can. There are a few good podcasts available for downloads on the Apple iTunes store that will really help you get along, if you're not intending on taking paid lessons.

I have a genuine Thai girlfriend and I am 51. Why is this unusual? If you think it is so becasue they are so difficult to land OR becasue all these hansum men simply do not have time for one woman? Curious.

It is not difficult to find a girlfriend if that is what you are after. In 2012, 25-50 yo Thai women are more open than ever to a foreign mate.

Go after a woman no more than 15 years your junior if you still look fairly decent and are sporty. Reduce that by whatever for your shortcomings. Be honest with yourself. Sure when I am walking in the mall and thinking, oh man, I'd love to hit that! Well, that is not possible so best be thankful for the lovely woman you have (and I am).

Get some hobbies, travel a lot to places Thai's (or any Asians!) frequent, dress well, smell good, be helpful, speak some Thai, eat rice, be friendly and outgoing and do what any guy would do back home - approach the women you ar einterested in and just go for it. I have had lots of attrctive women friend me via fb as well. Some times they are friends of friends but often they are women who like my profile I presume or enjoy traveling and all my photos.

If your plan is to sit in your flat and cruise Internet sites for the girl of your dreams - forget it!

Not only do I have a Thai gf but can honestly say that after two years - she is utter gold. I love her, my family loves her and everyone who meets her loves her.

Must say though, if I did not have her I would have my sights on Malay Chinese women. WOW. Pretty, educated, jobs, often self employed, English, friendly and in Malaysia no stigma being seen w/ orang asing.

Edited by bangkokburning