Thaksin's Italy Detention Just A 'Rumour': Thai FM Surapong

webfact

Thaksin's Italy detention just a 'rumour'

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul said yesterday that he was not aware of Thaksin Shinawatra being detained in Italy as reported by the Democrat Party, adding that the opposition party was only spreading rumours to discredit the former prime minister.

Democrat MP Sirichoke Sopha said earlier that Italian immigration officers had briefly detained Thaksin upon arrival on Wednesday. The Democrat also said that a friend of his who works for the Interpol had told him that Thaksin used his new Thai passport, instead of his Montenegro one, to enter Italy. Thaksin was supposedly detained because immigration officials saw his Thai passport and wondered about his legal status in Thailand, Sirichoke said. However, officials let him go once Thai authorities called on their Italian counterparts to cooperate, Sirichoke said.

"The government might be violating our criminal laws by providing false information about Thaksin's status," he said.

Thaksin is not a free man but a convicted fugitive who is on the run to escape criminal charges and conviction, Sirichoke said.

However, Surapong said Sirichoke's information was questionable because Thaksin's name had never been on the Interpol list.

Meanwhile, Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadon Pattama said the former PM was enjoying his vacation in Italy and had never been detained by immigration officials as claimed by the Democrats.

In addition, he said, all foreign governments know that the current Thai administration has strong connections with Thaksin, so they usually welcome and facilitate his visit.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-24

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not forget that Sirichoke Sopha, a close aide to Abhisit, visited Viktor Bout in prison to ask whether he had any information linking Thaksin and a cargo plane carrying weapons from North Korea that was seized by the Thai authorities in Bangkok in December 2009.The general conclusion was that Sirichoke was a profoundly foolish man living in a fantasy world, and there was at least a question to be asked on the monkey's relation with his organ grinder.

It's possible Thaksin had a discussion with Italian immigration officers.I have no idea but its plausible.What I simply don't believe however is that Sirichoke had a "friend" in Interpol (who never had an interest in Thaksin anyway) who leaked this information

Edited by jayboy
  • Like 1

The leader of the drunken flying monkies that shoot out peoples rectums runs your party and yet you call this man names. Interesting. He's a wanted fugitive from justice and your party tells Interpol he's all hunky dory. Nice.

The leader of the drunken flying monkies that shoot out peoples rectums runs your party and yet you call this man names. Interesting. He's a wanted fugitive from justice and your party tells Interpol he's all hunky dory. Nice.

Interpol never had an interest in Thaksin because the charges against him, whatever validity they had, were clearly politically motivated.(Wikileaks subsequently confirmed this beyond any doubt).The laughably incompetent former Foreign Minister Kasit and apprentice terrorist was economical with the truth in this matter.It is possible that Abhisit, who in contrast has a cool intelligence, seems to have been aware it was pointless to ask for Interpol's help to detain Thaksin.

I'm not sure what to make of your drunken flying monkies analogy.

• Like 1

...What I simply don't believe however is that Sirichoke had a "friend" in Interpol (who never had an interest in Thaksin anyway) who leaked this information

Then where did it come from?

I think there are two possible sources - someone form Interpol/Italian immigration or someone at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

It might be (actually is, at the moment) only a rumor but it must have a source. How many news of goings on at Florence Immigration counters reach Thailand in general?

...What I simply don't believe however is that Sirichoke had a "friend" in Interpol (who never had an interest in Thaksin anyway) who leaked this information

Then where did it come from?

I think there are two possible sources - someone form Interpol/Italian immigration or someone at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

It might be (actually is, at the moment) only a rumor but it must have a source. How many news of goings on at Florence Immigration counters reach Thailand in general?

It may as you say not have even have been true.However if he was detained briefly your suggestion that MOF provided the info is very plausible.

Interpol isn't credible - just a profoundly deluded man's fantasy.

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul said yesterday that he was not aware of Thaksin Shinawatra being detained

Not surprising from the laughably incompetent cousin of Thaksin.

Is this a repeat of his obfuscation and deceptions regarding his efforts to obtain his relative a Japanese visa?

At first indicating it was all at Japan's initiative before the truth emerged that Thaksin himself had directed his younger cousin to obtain it.... followed by the incredulous aspect of Surapong being the gopher that delivered it to him in Dubai.

Edited by Buchholz

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul said yesterday that he was not aware of Thaksin Shinawatra being detained

Is this a repeat of his obfuscation and deceptions regarding his efforts to obtain his relative a Japanese visa?

At first indicating it was all at Japan's initiative before the truth emerged that Thaksin himself had directed his younger cousin to obtain it.... followed by the incredulous aspect of Surapong being the gopher that delivered it to him in Dubai.

Nice try to change the subject, ie deflect the lies by the previous administration about Interpol and Thaksin

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1046931

As to Surapong's comment he may well have been unaware of Thaksin's immigration issues in Italy - hardly of earth shattering importance (even if they happened).

I think Interpol is not the only source of red flags on Immigration monitors, Thaksin's name could have triggered alert if he used his Thai name, not the Montenegrin one (Tacky Shinawat or something).

Zooming in on Interpol is just a diversion, the real problem is Thai ministry officials involvement, they can be sued for dereliction of duty and they must have had a permission from higher ups. If Democrats manage to obtain that information Surapong will add another egg to his face.

Nice try to change the subject

whereas Sirichoke meeting Bout is on topic

:cheesy:

It seems that the Democrat is a liar or a criminal. here's why;

1. There is no Interpol arrest assistance request.

2. If the information was obtained from " a friend of his who works for the Interpol", then the Democrat has participated in the breach of multiple regulations in respect to Interpol information and the privacy laws of italy. Obtaining the information would have necessitated the entry into the Interpol database and the sharing of information with unauthorized parties.

Hopefully, Mr. Abhisit has the good sense to distance himself from this man as it is a flagrant breach of the Interpol agreement, a violation of Italian privacy laws and downright unethical. Appreciably, ethics isn't a strong suit for the Democrat part, going from its past multiple corruption scandals and not to mention the MP accuse of premeditated murder remaining in caucus, but surely Mr. Abhisit can see that what his colleague has done is a major error.

Sirichoke isn't the source and trying to discredit him doesn't answer the question of what has happened and what was the involvement of MoFA - the only thing that really matters as they are legally liable for their actions.

When Sirichoke investigated Thaicom (Shin Sat at that time) one of the tax accountants going to testify against Thaksin's company was murdered, so it's not all blanks for this young Democrat, and it's not all polite and civil for his targets, the man really puts his life in danger by going after Thaksin and Co.

I don't quite understand the people who defend Thaksin's reputation here, that closet if full of skeletons.

Quite a few countries' visa applications ask if you have a criminal record, though I'm not sure about Italy. If asked, can anybody imagine thaksin truthfully stating his current status?

An astute immigration official may well know that Thaksin lied on his visa application and this would be grounds for him to be detained, at least until somebody from the embassy explained it was "just a mistake" (similar to his asset declaration).

Sirichoke may well have fabricated the Interpol bit to deflect heat from his MoFA source.

The question still stands - "Do SOME criminals have a "Get Out of Jail Free" card?"

Interpol never had an interest in Thaksin because the charges against him, whatever validity they had, were clearly politically motivated.(Wikileaks subsequently confirmed this beyond any doubt).The laughably incompetent former Foreign Minister Kasit and apprentice terrorist was economical with the truth in this matter.It is possible that Abhisit, who in contrast has a cool intelligence, seems to have been aware it was pointless to ask for Interpol's help to detain Thaksin.

I am not doubting your information here, but merely wanting to get myself better informed. Could you please refer me to the Wikileaks information that you make reference to here?

Thanks.

Interpol never had an interest in Thaksin because the charges against him, whatever validity they had, were clearly politically motivated.(Wikileaks subsequently confirmed this beyond any doubt).

Interpol was never interested because the Thai goverment at the time never requested Interpol to act, it has nothing to do with "policial motivation" at all.

Interpol will only act if requested to do so, and they were never requested. For the record Thaksin has not been charged with anything...in fact he had been convicted of the charges by a Thai court of law and subsequently fled the country and is currently a fugitive from a prision sentence.

If somebody in the Thai goverment requested Interpol to detain/arrest our man in Dubai, Interpol would carry out this request...

Edited by Soutpeel

Interpol never had an interest in Thaksin because the charges against him, whatever validity they had, were clearly politically motivated.

Whilst there clearly were reasons why Interpol did not feel compelled to take action, i think if consideration was given to the fact that it was Thaksin's own party in power at the time of the trial, and it was Thaksin's own lawyer who attempted to bribe the court, and that there was no attempt from Thaksin to deny the charges, and that the evidence in the case was not in question, i personally think it unlikely that their conclusion was a politically motivated or unfair trial.

• Like 1

Interpol never had an interest in Thaksin because the charges against him, whatever validity they had, were clearly politically motivated.(Wikileaks subsequently confirmed this beyond any doubt).The laughably incompetent former Foreign Minister Kasit and apprentice terrorist was economical with the truth in this matter.It is possible that Abhisit, who in contrast has a cool intelligence, seems to have been aware it was pointless to ask for Interpol's help to detain Thaksin. I'm not sure what to make of your drunken flying monkies analogy.
I am not doubting your information here, but merely wanting to get myself better informed. Could you please refer me to the Wikileaks information that you make reference to here? Thanks.

Most polite :)

I am doubting Jayboys information. Where exactly is the wikileaks reference?

So please provide a llnk to the wiki stuff you mention. Sounds like interesting reading, (.....were clearly politically motivated.(Wikileaks subsequently confirmed this beyond any doubt......) maybe it will change my world.

So please provide a llnk to the wiki stuff you mention. Sounds like interesting reading, (.....were clearly politically motivated.(Wikileaks subsequently confirmed this beyond any doubt......) maybe it will change my world.

In any case it's a red herring, even if the accusation emanated from his political opponents doesn't make the evidence, trial and subsequent conviction a political ploy.

Or are we to dismiss any charges of malfeasance if they happen to come from a political foe?

Again you give totally dishonest and very misleading comment. The paymasters conviction was for abuse of power, an old and very serious law, which is there for good reason to protect the common wealth of all Thais from unscrupulous immoral politicians, nothing whatever to do with politics.

And further the case was heard, he was found guilt and a two year jial sentence imposed during the tenure of a paymaster puppet government.

Before accusing members of dishonesty it's best to be clear about the context.Although your post is rather hard to follow and very poorly expressed, I'm assuming you are making the point that Thaksin had serious charges against him that needed dealing with.I agree.However the point is, and one you seem slow to grasp, is that the pursuit against Thaksin was politically motivated but this is not inconsistent with Thaksin having legitimate charges to explain (though arguably less serious than those which hang over Abhiszit's head).I have already posted a link in this thread demonstrating that Interpol rebuffed the previous government on this matter.As to those who want me to reference Wikileaks please check this out for yourselves.I'm certainly not prepared to cut and paste and probably breach forum rules (for there is much sensitive material) but start with the American Ambassador of the time and take things from there...

Interpol was never interested because the Thai goverment at the time never requested Interpol to act, it has nothing to do with "policial motivation" at all.

Er, yes it did and was told to get lost.See the link I have posted on this thread.