National Service

chonabot

I realise we have covered this topic before , but I would like some fresh opinions and as this didn't previously affect me I thought I would open a new page.

My wife and I have 2 sons , one is Thai 100% and 15 years old today , the other is Anglo-Thai and 7 years old.

1.If we remain in the UK ( unlikely ) and the Thai son does the same , will he be required to do national service in Thailand? Will the government contact his grandparents ( his last address in Los ) at the appropriate time?

Is there a process where he can be removed from whatever register he is on etc?

He intends to go to UNi in the Uk and will decide later on if he will live in the UK or elsewhere ( Los included ).

2. If we move to Los and the Anglo-Thai son gets Thai nationality, will he be required to join the Thai Army at the appropriate age?

3. If we remain in the UK but at some point gain Thai nationality for our Anglo-Thai son , will he be required to do National service at the appropriate age?

Thanks in advance , interestingly enough the 100% Thai son is in the British Army Cadets and has shown an interest in following a career in the British Armed forces, myself and my father both spent time in the military.

The younger son wants to be an astronaut :o

:D

I realise we have covered this topic before , but I would like some fresh opinions and as this didn't previously affect me I thought I would open a new page.

My wife and I have 2 sons , one is Thai 100% and 15 years old today , the other is Anglo-Thai and 7 years old.

1.If we remain in the UK ( unlikely )  and the Thai son does the same , will he be required to do national service in Thailand?  Will the government contact his grandparents ( his last address in Los ) at the appropriate time?

Is there a process where he can be removed from whatever register he is on etc?

He intends to go to UNi in the Uk and will decide later on if he will live in the UK or elsewhere ( Los included ).

2. If we move to Los and the Anglo-Thai son gets Thai nationality, will he be required to join the Thai Army at the appropriate age?

3. If we remain in the UK but at some point gain Thai nationality for our Anglo-Thai son , will he be required to do National service at the appropriate age?

Thanks in advance , interestingly enough the 100% Thai son is in the British Army Cadets and has shown an interest in following a career in the British Armed forces, myself and my father both spent time in the military.

The younger son wants to be an astronaut :o

:D

Thais have to register at 18 years for future service. So if he doesn't register I see little likelihood of them contacting anybody. Besides an exemption certificate is easilly achieved as there is little shortage of men wanting to join, compared to those eligible. The youngest son would presumably be a naturalised citizen and therefore not eligible for military service.

Both sons will have to register. They will get a call up letter wich they can later defer if they are in higher education.

If you get back to Thailand, the 15 year old should enrol in the Thai version of cadets run through his high school. Three years of this will exempt him from the draft.

As for the younger son, he will be a Thai national by birth, not naturalisation, and thus be eligible for the same requirements as other Thai males.

If the younger son however does enter the British army, this may exempt him from Thai military service, as the draft rules state that one does not have to do military training/service if they have done the equivalent elsewhere. How you prove this equivalency - I don't know.

Interesting post.

My son is 13 years old , was born in London but has both thai and british passport.  Will he be eligible ?

As long as he is living in Thailand and not in any form of higher education, then the answer is yes. Higher education, is sufficent reason to defering/ not attending the draft until you are finished.

If you have managed to defer conscription for long enough, once you hit 30, for all intents and purposes, you are exempted.

Interesting post.

My son is 13 years old , was born in London but has both thai and british passport.  Will he be eligible ?

As long as he is living in Thailand and not in any form of higher education, then the answer is yes. Higher education, is sufficent reason to defering/ not attending the draft until you are finished.

If you have managed to defer conscription for long enough, once you hit 30, for all intents and purposes, you are exempted.

Confirmed. 100% Thai and the draft folks never sent a letter to our house here. NOTE: I wasn't added to the tabien baan until I was 21 (when I was moving here semi-permanently) and wanted to get an ID card, so that's likely the reason why. If your kids are already on the tabien baan, having lived here, then they would get a letter (I assume) at age 18.

:o