Family Of Man In Skytrain Scuffle Threatened

Lite Beer

BTW,...

I found an elusive "No Balloon" sign. I contacted the person who's image I posted and he told me it was taken at "SIAM". Went down there, and low and behold, there is a sign, taped to the inside of the cashier's kiosk! One would think that they could tape them at the other stations too.

The MRT seems to have a better act, although I'm not quite sure what the bottom left icon prohibits: http://bquot.com/btl

You clearly have a fixation about the "No Balloons" sign - as (I think) Nisa said - get over it!

Did you hit the link I supplied?

If the BTS had such a sign, at all the stations, this wouldn't have happened. There probably would be been a few chuckles, an "I'll be damned", and the balloons would have been dealt with appropriately - because the situation was dealt with appropriately.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW,...

I found an elusive "No Balloon" sign. I contacted the person who's image I posted and he told me it was taken at "SIAM". Went down there, and low and behold, there is a sign, taped to the inside of the cashier's kiosk! One would think that they could tape them at the other stations too.

The MRT seems to have a better act, although I'm not quite sure what the bottom left icon prohibits: http://bquot.com/btl

You clearly have a fixation about the "No Balloons" sign - as (I think) Nisa said - get over it!

If the BTS had such a sign, at all the stations, this wouldn't have happened. There probably would be been a few chuckles, an "I'll be damned", and the balloons would have been dealt with appropriately - because the situation was dealt with appropriately.

Please do not selectively Quote from my Posts and thus distort the import;

I also said :

There is a sign "No Animals" with a rather generic image of a dog - there is no sign specifying, for example, no Alligators (or, since this is Thailand "No Elephants") but you apparently expect one?

Patrick

BTW,...

Please do not selectively Quote from my Posts and thus distort the import;

I also said :

There is a sign "No Animals" with a rather generic image of a dog - there is no sign specifying, for example, no Alligators (or, since this is Thailand "No Elephants") but you apparently expect one?

Patrick

That doesn't say no animals - it is specifically stating no small dogs. Just look at the picture. It is clearly one of those miniature dogs. If any guard every stops me bringing my pitbull onboard while I smoke a cigar (sign only says no cigarettes) then I am going to go ballistic on them and expect all my fellow expats to stick up for me because there is also no sign about not going ballistic on security at the BTS.

Edit: but now that I think about it, I haven't seen a sign that says a guard can't assault me either.

Edited by Nisa
  • Like 1

I'm still expecting Mr. Behan to come on the site and state he's been given a large settlement

LOL.....that would really upset the apologists wouldnt it ?

Why would that upset the people apologizing and excusing his behavior? I think that is what they believe he is entitled. whistling.gifwink.png

Edited by Nisa

I'm still expecting Mr. Behan to come on the site and state he's been given a large settlement

LOL.....that would really upset the apologists wouldnt it ?

Why would that upset the people apologizing and excusing his behavior? I think that is what they believe he is entitled. whistling.gifwink.png

What was the far more excessive behavior was the security guards and company all through the process.

But saying that it doesn't excuse his conduct, but certainly vilifies theirs, as well it should.

Once again,

Here is the danger of losing your temper in Thailand.

Now this family is being intimidated. All because this man created a confrontation. It's stupidity on his part. Who, with any knowledge of Thailand, would seriously consider causing a confrontation over a bunch of balloons?

Yes the assault was over the top, but let it be a lesson to everybody.

Don't fight in Thailand, don't be aggressive in Thailand, don't look for confrontation.

You will pay a price like you cannot believe, just as this guy has done.

I can agree with you on your take but it's always not the foreigners fault, it can go both ways.

Take the threat seriously. VERY seriously.

Better to go to another country and learn from that lesson by some relocation inconvenience, than stay out of a false hope this will be 'forgotten', and then regret it in the future.

The dude has a family to consider.

It's often not the foreigners fault. But there are many violent, simple-minded people with little education and no role model other than Thai TV and the stupid concept of face.

Some of these people have no sense of reality, no responsibility and have no ethics/moral compass.

As discussed they have been copping it from every rung of the ladder above them, and have bottled it up, stewing and waiing everybody that mistreats them for years.If they get challenged, whether right or wrong, it can be a loss of face which is stewed over for days, weeks, months while sober. Then one night on booze, yaba or whatever makes them 10 feet tall and bulletproof, they go to exact their revenge.

Whether right or wrong, an affront is an affront and can (and often is) dealt with violently.

Not in a direct fight or an angry confrontation.

He won't have his assailant front up for a fistfight, one on one.

More likely that he will be sneaked up on and hit/shot/stabbed while sleeping, or attacked in the dark from behind by 2-3 guys, or attacked and severely beaten by large groups when alone. Or a bullet in the head or stomach from a motocy rider with no numberplate and a dark black visor.

This isn't fantasy. It's what happens more often than not.

He is so easily recognised now, and there is sure to be some farang hater or friend/agent of the guard, or some unrelated local who is driven over the edge by this who decides that time is ripe for a 'lesson' to be taught.

I could be totally wrong in this case, (and I really hope I am) but any long term Thai expat knows that this isn't a wild exaggeration. It's something that happens daily. Many times daily. Thai on Thai AND Thai on farang.

You don't have to be a foreigner to end up dead over something childish and stupid that most people around the globe settle over a beer, apology or a handshake.

Just read local newspapers for the ultraviolence that occurs around Thailand as standard.

The Phuket Gazette is a frightening read. Murder Central.

Then LIVE somewhere in Thailand and discover all the bashings, shootings, stabbings, rapes etc that happen that DON'T hit the newspaper. (Too much crime & violence = Loss of face)

The facts are irrelevant. Face has been lost. It doesn't matter who's right or wrong. Someone now has an axe to grind, and half of Thailand could recognise the guy off the street in a heartbeat following the incident becoming national news.

I appeal to the Irish guy - please leave.

Not because it's right. It's not. It's unfair. It would be nice to put it behind you.

But consider leaving because you are now a target in a country where you are no longer safe.

Best wishes for a good outcome.

T.I.T.

Sent off a photo to the guy that took the original photo.

According to him, the sign has been moved from where he first saw it. He was surprised it was taped inside the office.

A bit curious? CYA, perhaps?

With "rights", come responsibility. But, with authority, there is also responsibility.

The BTS has every right to enforce its regulations. But, as a public company, serving the public, they need to have those regulations defined and applied universally.

It appears that wasn't the case here. A single sign, taped in a window of one, of about thirty stations, doesn't qualify.

Besides, to use antagonist's argument, it prohibits evil black balloons. Behan's were pink and purple!

Remember back in this thread when everyone was arguing that balloons came under the "flammable goods" category, because they contained hydrgen? Well, Anat came out and stated that the ban was based on the fact that one might burst, setting off panic. Well, I doubt many people won't be able to distinguish a pop from an explosion! I think the only "panic" was his trying to rationalize the situation.

In any case, everyone's initial "common sense", "what is obvious", "what we believe" explanation was wrong, just as other conclusions could be in error.

Some people question authority. This is often how society changes.

Other blindly capitulate. Unfortunately, the future is theirs!

Get in line ...

Get in line ...

Doesn't sound like your argument has anything to do with questioning authority but simply that you will step right in line with authority if they have a sign but otherwise you will have comprehension issues. There may be a termfor this but it isn't questioning authority.

And as for "get in line" ... show us the sign.

Edited by Nisa

Once again,

Here is the danger of losing your temper in Thailand.

Now this family is being intimidated. All because this man created a confrontation. It's stupidity on his part. Who, with any knowledge of Thailand, would seriously consider causing a confrontation over a bunch of balloons?

Yes the assault was over the top, but let it be a lesson to everybody.

Don't fight in Thailand, don't be aggressive in Thailand, don't look for confrontation.

You will pay a price like you cannot believe, just as this guy has done.

I can agree with you on your take but it's always not the foreigners fault, it can go both ways.

Take the threat seriously. VERY seriously.

Better to go to another country and learn from that lesson by some relocation inconvenience, than stay out of a false hope this will be 'forgotten', and then regret it in the future.

The dude has a family to consider.

It's often not the foreigners fault. But there are many violent, simple-minded people with little education and no role model other than Thai TV and the stupid concept of face.

Some of these people have no sense of reality, no responsibility and have no ethics/moral compass.

As discussed they have been copping it from every rung of the ladder above them, and have bottled it up, stewing and waiing everybody that mistreats them for years.If they get challenged, whether right or wrong, it can be a loss of face which is stewed over for days, weeks, months while sober. Then one night on booze, yaba or whatever makes them 10 feet tall and bulletproof, they go to exact their revenge.

Whether right or wrong, an affront is an affront and can (and often is) dealt with violently.

Not in a direct fight or an angry confrontation.

He won't have his assailant front up for a fistfight, one on one.

More likely that he will be sneaked up on and hit/shot/stabbed while sleeping, or attacked in the dark from behind by 2-3 guys, or attacked and severely beaten by large groups when alone. Or a bullet in the head or stomach from a motocy rider with no numberplate and a dark black visor.

This isn't fantasy. It's what happens more often than not.

He is so easily recognised now, and there is sure to be some farang hater or friend/agent of the guard, or some unrelated local who is driven over the edge by this who decides that time is ripe for a 'lesson' to be taught.

I could be totally wrong in this case, (and I really hope I am) but any long term Thai expat knows that this isn't a wild exaggeration. It's something that happens daily. Many times daily. Thai on Thai AND Thai on farang.

You don't have to be a foreigner to end up dead over something childish and stupid that most people around the globe settle over a beer, apology or a handshake.

Just read local newspapers for the ultraviolence that occurs around Thailand as standard.

The Phuket Gazette is a frightening read. Murder Central.

Then LIVE somewhere in Thailand and discover all the bashings, shootings, stabbings, rapes etc that happen that DON'T hit the newspaper. (Too much crime & violence = Loss of face)

The facts are irrelevant. Face has been lost. It doesn't matter who's right or wrong. Someone now has an axe to grind, and half of Thailand could recognise the guy off the street in a heartbeat following the incident becoming national news.

I appeal to the Irish guy - please leave.

Not because it's right. It's not. It's unfair. It would be nice to put it behind you.

But consider leaving because you are now a target in a country where you are no longer safe.

Best wishes for a good outcome.

T.I.T.

I had to read this twaddle twice to make sure it wasn't a wind-up.

Telling the man to leave the country because he will be whacked - Jesus Christ, where do you people get your ideas from?

Amongst the rest of the rubbish you state that half of Thailand would recognise this man; well I wouldn't and I doubt whether anyone outside of this forum, that continues to debate a subject that has probably been forgotten by almost all the population, would either. And they also wouldn't care a toss what the outcome of the minor affair was.

• Like 2

I think he's probably out of danger by now. . .

Get in line ...

Not our job to try to change their society, just banging our head against a wall. Some people don't even stop when it hurts, others learn not to start.

Take your meds both you guys. Or if you have been, stop. . .

what is the guys name on here out of curiousity?

Irish teacher John Behan, 37 ? http://www.thaivisa....fle-threatened/

I think farang was wondering about his TV nic.

ahhhh -- that makes sense. Though I highly doubt he will speak up and would agree he shouldn't unless TV can allow him to create a temp user ID just to answer questions and fill in all the things we've only been able to speculate about or pick which version sounds the most right.

what is the guys name on here out of curiousity?

Irish teacher John Behan, 37 ? http://www.thaivisa....fle-threatened/

I think farang was wondering about his TV nic.

ahhhh -- that makes sense. Though I highly doubt he will speak up and would agree he shouldn't unless TV can allow him to create a temp user ID just to answer questions and fill in all the things we've only been able to speculate about or pick which version sounds the most right.

if I were him, I wouldn't bother.

BTS have never (in the articles I have read anyway) admitted blame for what happened. They have however apologised to the passenger

The BTS have not apologised to the Irishman - this is confirmed by his wife when she went to report the alleged telephone threat to the police. A BTS Representative did send flowers to the family but this was only in recognition of the distress the incident caused to the family - they did not admit or accept responsibility in any way.

Patrick

Why should anybody else than the Irish language school teacher apologize? He's the guy who made something wrong. Without his aggression there'd never had been such a problem...wai.gif

Edited by sirchai

BTS have never (in the articles I have read anyway) admitted blame for what happened. They have however apologised to the passenger

The BTS have not apologised to the Irishman - this is confirmed by his wife when she went to report the alleged telephone threat to the police. A BTS Representative did send flowers to the family but this was only in recognition of the distress the incident caused to the family - they did not admit or accept responsibility in any way.

Patrick

Why should anybody else than the Irish language school teacher apologize? He's the guy who made something wrong. Without his aggression there'd never had been such a problem...wai.gif

@Patrick

After the interview with the wife, the BTS did, indeed apologize, and sent flowers.

@sirchai

Once again, again,...

All we have seen is after the mysterious first encounter. According to Behan, and some witnesses, Behan was jumped by the guards. Anat, the BTS spokesman, said Behan started it, descibing the Youtube video footage.

Now, in this atmosphere of "Us versus Them", "Thai versus" Farang", many will argue that such violence is a Western attribute. Therefore, the Irishman had to have started it.

Well, if you read about some of the incidents occurring over Songkran, and think back to incidents like the guy who was shot, dead, over a baht's worth of petrol, one might have to admit that Thais can, actually, react way over the top.

The BTS has apologized. Behan has said he over reacted. Since they have, to some degree, kissed and made up, it is doubtful that the CCTV footage will ever be made public. Mostly likely, we will never know what initiated the mess.

-----------

What is really sick is the basis of this thread, life threats on the Irishman. There is a minor scuffle at a BTS station, and people fire off a Jihad! This has nothing to do with questioning authority, following rules. We're back to us versus them. wai.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with you.

In this society, english teachers are at the same level as Burmese maids.

Or Indonesian maids in Singapore. They keep on falling from high rise but nobody care.

Actually I would hazard a guess and say the vast majority of Burmese maids actually have work permits....so would suggest they are not on the same level..rolleyes.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

What is really sick is the basis of this thread

I think you're just letting yourself get baited. Let it go dude I'd be surprised if even 1% of Thais would even remember this "news" story anymore.

that's a hell of a lot of thai's to worry about ;)

What is really sick is the basis of this thread, life threats on the Irishman. There is a minor scuffle at a BTS station, and people fire off a Jihad! This has nothing to do with questioning authority, following rules.

Well if there was no sign on the phone saying it couldn't be used to make death threats ....

wink.png