Warrant Sought For Driver In LPG Truck Blast

Lite Beer

Warrant sought for driver in LPG truck blast

The Nation on Sunday March 25, 2012 1:00 am

30178682-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK:-- Police will soon obtain an arrest warrant for the driver of a 4,000-litre LPG tank truck suspected of dozing off behind the wheel or drunk driving, leading to the accident and explosion on a bridge on Pattanakan Road in Bangkok's Suan Luang district on Friday.

Injured bystander Buapan Suwansaen, 66, who sustained burns to 70 per cent of his body, was stable and would remain in Petcharavej Hospital's ICU for a month to guard against infection and pulmonary edema, officials said.

After the truck crashed into the bridge's concrete guard-rail, causing a gas leak and explosion and injuring Buapan, Khlong Ton police superintendent Colonel Sitthiparp Baiprasert said police sought an arrest warrant for driver Anan Kaewma, 35, as witnesses said the truck was weaving left and right before it crashed. Police yesterday continued to interview some 10 witnesses, while waiting for the results of forensic officials' check of the wrecked truck for safety flaws, which could lead to charges against the trucking company.

The company yesterday gave Bt3,000 in assistance money to Buapan's wife and said they would pay for his medical bills

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-25

Okay, so let me get this straight:

The truck driver perhaps dozed off behind the wheel or was drunk - as usual;

The truck driver fled the scene of the accident - as usual;

The truck itself possibly had flaws that made it unfit for transporting dangerous cargo - as usual;

The transport company generously shelled out the astonishing amount of 3,000 Baht to a gravely injured bystander - as usual.

I must have become insensitive by living here for too long, because none of the above raises even an eyebrow.

• Like 2

The truck itself possibly had flaws that made it unfit for transporting dangerous cargo - as usual;

The transport company generously shelled out the astonishing amount of 3,000 Baht to a gravely injured bystander - as usual.

I must have become insensitive by living here for too long, because none of the above raises even an eyebrow.

+1

Edited by mijan24

You missed another bit...after all you have listed

Police will soon obtain an arrest warrant

!!! <deleted>!

This happened Friday.

Seems like the poor man who was burned needs some sound legal advice and they need to sue the company out of existance. People (Hiso) receive vast amounts for damages in this country ie they have hurt feelings. This man gets 70% burns and is offered 3000 baht and medical treatment!!

Not a newbie but this question springs to mind:

Do these drivers have special licenses to drive trucks like this? (Thinking hazmat).

Not a newbie but this question springs to mind:

Do these drivers have special licenses to drive trucks like this? (Thinking hazmat).

Good question. Of course the over-riding feeling is no. Or if there even was such a thing, the standard would be so poor (have you seen what you need to achieve to get a normal driving licence?)

It is so common for drivers to leave the scene. Until the authorities start issuing a deterrent such as a minimum 1 year in jail for leaving the scene, people will continue to do so.

The company yesterday gave Bt3,000 in assistance money to Buapan's wife and said they would pay for his medical bills

Generous?

Let's see...the 3000 baht is probably about a week's pay and I expect the country's 30 baht/gold program which provides free medical services will pay the great bulk of the medical bills. Yea, sure sounds like this company should get the "Mr Generous Award for 2012."

A man with 70% burns is going to be in hospital a lot longer than a month, try a year or two, and that is even if he survives. I have a feeling the 'burns' were not quite as bad as they first appear.

Doing a "runner" seems to be the logical course of action for Thais when they are involved in motor vehicle accidents. Obviously the penalties for this must be a slap on the wrist. Leaving the scene of an accident is treated as a very serious offence in most western countries. Even the petrol pump attendant did a runner when he accidentally filled my brother's brand new Isuzu with gasoline instead of diesel, I guess he thought they would ask him to pay for a tank full of petrol, or the cost of draining the tank. Or both.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

Maybe a driving ban, thus giving them no chance of earning any salary, for at least a year.

Driving Ban???, pray tell me ,just how do you intend to enforce it? ,I know 3 Thai's who ain't had a driving licence since I came to live here in Nov 03 ,all have been stopped by the police on numerous occasions ,a quick "backhander" of 200 baht and you are free to go on your merry way . Edited by Colin Yai

Doing a "runner" seems to be the logical course of action for Thais when they are involved in motor vehicle accidents. Obviously the penalties for this must be a slap on the wrist. Leaving the scene of an accident is treated as a very serious offence in most western countries. Even the petrol pump attendant did a runner when he accidentally filled my brother's brand new Isuzu with gasoline instead of diesel, I guess he thought they would ask him to pay for a tank full of petrol, or the cost of draining the tank. Or both.

Its called diminished responsibility or admitting that you are wrong which of course means Immediate "loss of face" possibly for some Thai's a fate worse than death.

Maybe a driving ban, thus giving them no chance of earning any salary, for at least a year.

Driving Ban???, pray tell me ,just how do you intend to enforce it? ,I know 3 Thai's who ain't had a driving licence since I came to live here in Nov 03 ,all have been stopped by the police on numerous occasions ,a quick "backhander" of 200 baht and you are free to go on your merry way .

Oh C'mon Colin we cannot believe that ! spamsign.gif

they do thats why he bolted

Have just asked Thai Wifey,and she says thats exactly what would happen,as in the said pump attendent(and for accidents) would run off fearing to pay the bill(and face consequences and look bad). And the next morning would check in to work as if nothing has happened at all-that is the Thai way.

Btw am told even if have insurance it rarely covers the costs hence still must run away!

thats what usually happend in a third world country ...and sorry to say but this is a third world country .

doing a runner after a accident instead of helping seems to be a standard protocol over here. one of the more mind blowing and disgusting things over here. it seems like many people simply doesn't have the basic social responsibilities

I arrived at the scene of an accident recently to find the standard....old woman has been knocked off bike, the young guy involved driving a car had pulled on to the verge well away and was stood talking to his girlfriend on the phone. He was doing nothing to help the woman who was in great pain. I got out the car to help her, she had laundry in the basket in her bike, so I put that under her head etc to make her comfortable until an ambulance arrived. A guy from our Soi saw me and by the time I got home the whole road thought I had hit the woman as I was helping her. Have you noticed how everyone just stands and watches, and does nothing. I wonder how many people die just needing simple common sense first aid?

Generous?

Sure, it almost paid for one day in the hospital room. Not including the doctors work, treatment, operations etc etc.

doing a runner after a accident instead of helping seems to be a standard protocol over here. one of the more mind blowing and disgusting things over here. it seems like many people simply doesn't have the basic social responsibilities

I arrived at the scene of an accident recently to find the standard....old woman has been knocked off bike, the young guy involved driving a car had pulled on to the verge well away and was stood talking to his girlfriend on the phone. He was doing nothing to help the woman who was in great pain. I got out the car to help her, she had laundry in the basket in her bike, so I put that under her head etc to make her comfortable until an ambulance arrived. A guy from our Soi saw me and by the time I got home the whole road thought I had hit the woman as I was helping her. Have you noticed how everyone just stands and watches, and does nothing. I wonder how many people die just needing simple common sense first aid?

That is just it. There is no common sense here.