Uk Plugs

nellyp

I brought a lot of electrical equipment with me from the uk. i thought i would be Ok using adapters or, as i have done, buying multi plug adapters, for my TV etc and one for the kitchen appliances (not fridge or washing machine). I am currently ( ignore the pun) researcing about some shocks I am getting from my TV etc. I thought it may be an earthing issue, and while researching came across an article saying that Thai plugs are wired differently to Uk plugs and because of this my plugs have the wires the wrong way around. Surely the adapters take this into account though. Otherwise what would be the point of them. Could somebody please clear this up for me? I will be posting more about the earthing problem but I need to take some photos first.

Cheers

Using a simple adaptor with a UK plug does reverse L and N but that is highly unlikely to be the source of your shocks.

More likely that there is a unit with a switching power supply which requires an earth and doesn't have one.

Watch out for equipment that requires a ground, many adaptors are only 2-pin and many 3-pin outlets don't actually have the ground connected.

Using a simple adaptor with a UK plug does reverse L and N but that is highly unlikely to be the source of your shocks.

More likely that there is a unit with a switching power supply which requires an earth and doesn't have one.

Watch out for equipment that requires a ground, many adaptors are only 2-pin and many 3-pin outlets don't actually have the ground connected.

Thanks, do you think I should replace the plugs on my equipment with Thai 3 pin plugs? o do you think that would be a waste of time?

I am just about to put another thread on here with the nightmare that is my electrics. Once I can get my phone to connect to my computer that is.

Cheers

Thanks, do you think I should replace the plugs on my equipment with Thai 3 pin plugs? o do you think that would be a waste of time?

I am just about to put another thread on here with the nightmare that is my electrics. Once I can get my phone to connect to my computer that is.

Cheers

If you are going to stay here long term I would replace the plugs with local ones. Obviously if you have any of the wall-wart power blocks you will have to use adaptors.

I am just about to put another thread on here with the nightmare that is my electrics.

please add that i am experiencing nightmares whenever i travel to a country, formerly colonised by the British Empire, and see/use the archaic, anachronistic, bullshittistic and nightmarish plugs and sockets designed by mentally handycapped blacksmiths during the Napoleonic Wars.

Crossy will be back on I'm sure but I don't see the need to change to Thai three pin plugs sounds like you need wall socket that take three pin plugs that are earthed to your consumer unit or a ground rod.

Your fridge and washing machine should be earthed even if they don't have three pin plugs you can earth them directly with 4mm wire to a rear metal casing part of the appliance, then to the ground rod or if possible to the consumer unit.

Most TV's / CD players / satellite units do not need earthing unless they have metal outer casing parts, so then again three pin wall sockets etc etc etc.smile.png

Your PC may need and earth wall socket or a surge protector adapter.

You have probably gather our alien friend " Naam " is not from the UK. laugh.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Not suggesting it's the best solution but living in a rented house in BKK afew years ago I used to get a minor zap from the PC everytime I touched it. Anger one day drove me to fixing a wire to one of the casing screws and screwing it into the wall behind the desk. I sprayed it with insect spray to wet the connection on the wall screw and it actually worked.

I was not prepared to pay for an earth system in a short term rented house.

@Kwasaki. UK 3 pin sockets that fit Thai back boxes are not available. The 'universal' outlets that do fit the boxes and accept UK plugs are OK for low current devices but because the contacts have to be shaped to mate with a multitude of different plugs the contact area is small, high power devices (like your hairdryer) may well cause overheating. Change the plugs if you are remaining in Thailand.

@Naam. Yes the UK plug is large and robust, it's also recognised as being one of the safest domestic connectors in the world, it's certainly good for a great deal more than the poxy 13A rating. Its single biggest flaw is that when one is laying on the floor having been unplugged it invariably rests with the pins pointing up. It lies in wait for one to be feeling the way to the bathroom in the dark before jumping under ones bare feet, it hurts a lot sad.png

@Kwasaki. UK 3 pin sockets that fit Thai back boxes are not available. The 'universal' outlets that do fit the boxes and accept UK plugs are OK for low current devices but because the contacts have to be shaped to mate with a multitude of different plugs the contact area is small, high power devices (like your hairdryer) may well cause overheating. Change the plugs if you are remaining in Thailand.

@Naam. Yes the UK plug is large and robust, it's also recognised as being one of the safest domestic connectors in the world, it's certainly good for a great deal more than the poxy 13A rating. Its single biggest flaw is that when one is laying on the floor having been unplugged it invariably rests with the pins pointing up. It lies in wait for one to be feeling the way to the bathroom in the dark before jumping under ones bare feet, it hurts a lot sad.png

I'm obviously biased but I think Oz plugs are the best.

Your minor shocks ( a mild tingling sensation) are caused by normal leakage current from equipment and lack of earthing.

Adaptor 3 pin plugs are generally rated at 10A, BS to TIS 3 pin socket outlet, you will probally get the 3 pin outlet NEMA (US) type.

ie 3 pin BS converts to a 3 pin NEMA type.

2 pin pug tops and socket outlets are the norm in Thailand.

Yes, one would agree Australian plugs and sockets to AS3112 are excellent, available in 10A/15/20A. Travel adaptors available only in 10A ratings.

Edited by electau