Bt4M Stolen In Sing Buri Bank Heist

webfact

Bt4m stolen in bank heist

Jeeraman Khamcha

Watcharaphon Muangman

The Nation

Sing Buri

30178792-01_big.jpg

SING BURI:-- Four men in a pickup snatched a moneybag with Bt4.1 million in it from a cash transport truck in Sing Buri after shooting a guard, then chased an armoured van at high-speed in an attempt to steal three other bags.

Police are looking for the silver Isuzu D-Max used by the four robbers. Witnesses reported the number on the Bangkok licence plate, but it turned out to belong to a sedan reported stolen recently.

Two guards employed by Progress Gunpai Co were picking up cash from a Kasikornbank branch in In Buri district when two hooded men got out their vehicle and one of them fired at the truck and the two guards with an AK-47 assault rifle.

They picked up one bag containing Bt4 million in Bt1,000 banknotes and Bt100,000 in Bt100 notes.

Thanes Worrayano took one bullet in his right leg and is now receiving hospital treatment, while other guard, Uthen Ou-khongkha, was not shot. He ran from the scene.

Pheerachet Panmaung, the driver of the armoured truck, said he took off and went north on Route 32 towards Nakhon Sawan with the robbers in hot pursuit.

Pheerachet told police that five or six shots were fired at him but the truck's armour protected him. After being chased for six kilometres, he pulled over at a police box and called out for help, and the robbers fled.

Pol Maj General Khamronwit Thoopkrajang said there could be accomplices, as security camera footage showed another pickup waiting near the bank and following the robbers' vehicle when it began chasing the money truck.

The robbers and possibly their helpers, with likely knowledge about the time of cash delivery and collection, plus the transport truck's route, could have tailed the truck, and may have sought to steal all four bags of cash, each containing Bt4.1 million, at the In Buri branch.

The initial investigation found five spent cartridges at the scene and two bullet holes in the transport truck.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-27

After being chased for six kilometres, he pulled over at a police box and called out for help, and the robbers fled.

I'm surprised the police were there and not in the vehicle chasing it.

Or perhaps the local army base was short 4 soldiers for the day.

• Like 2

4 million baht,............. that is bugga all. The police looking for the criminals spirit away that amount before breakfast each morning.

Perhaps they wont even bother in case it is someone they know.

was yesterday on tv. Very daring in a broad lite in the city centre

Not really, I doubt if the truck had a radio connected to base and hell there are no police cars to speak of who could get to the scene and who will argue with a shooting gun ?

Thailand has entered the big time...LOL

Except for the poor planning and one guard running away, this sounds like a bank holdup in the US, circa 1930s...LOL

Americans dislike cowardice, so a guard might hide, but not run away...

Thai's, however, hate confrontation - something Americans love...LOL

Except for the poor planning and one guard running away, this sounds like a bank holdup in the US, circa 1930s...LOL

I dont understand what you try to say coffee1.gif

I dont understand what you try to say coffee1.gif

Make that two of us!

it amazes me this doesnt happen as much also.. i've seen banks in downtown bangkok with over 5-10mn in cash BRICKS OUT IN THE OPEN right behind the counter and not 1 armed security guard (6-8 unarmed security guards unless they're packing behind the security booth) in sight on a regular basis at branch i will not name.. unbelievable!

They need to watch a few American movies, ie: Public Enemy, etc., to see how bank robbing is really done. No self respecting real bank robber would let those three other bags get away. :-)

You didn't read of the story a few years ago where they stole such an armoured vehicle with over 50 million inside,took a few million and left the rest untouched?

The dumbers even got caught a few weeks later.If I recall correctly that was Buriram district.

it amazes me this doesnt happen as much also.. i've seen banks in downtown bangkok with over 5-10mn in cash BRICKS OUT IN THE OPEN right behind the counter and not 1 armed security guard (6-8 unarmed security guards unless they're packing behind the security booth) in sight on a regular basis at branch i will not name.. unbelievable!

But I think you would be surprised how many guns would be be pulled out,without any security in sight.

actually aim VERY surprised that this kind of things are happens so rarely .. since there is basically zero security for staff and the money.

Agree the so called armoured vans are only really modified fibreglass utes. If they had actual armoured vans there would be no reason to flea the scene, the gaurds could sit in the van and pull faces at the crooks and there is no way that they are going to get in before the police arrive. Strapping an old bakedbean can to the buffalo does not make it an armoured vehicle.

These things happen when the economic situation is going down, fuel prices sky high and unemployment rate goes up up up!

If thats the case these events should be happening in the USA at a fast pace with real unemployment above 20%. I think bank robbery is a fact of life in all countries and has very little to do with the economy in any country.

They need to watch a few American movies, ie: Public Enemy, etc., to see how bank robbing is really done. No self respecting real bank robber would let those three other bags get away. :-)

A Thai taking advice from a foreigner? Surely you jest!

If thats the case these events should be happening in the USA at a fast pace with real unemployment above 20%. I think bank robbery is a fact of life in all countries and has very little to do with the economy in any country.

bank robberies were happening in the usa on a large scale during the great crisis. Now banks are so well protected, that an average heist is only $1800, so instead cybercrime against banks do exist and brings much better money (on average tens of $k) and less risk of being jailed or injured/killed. Check how many cash machines are broken into or how many corner grocery shops are raided on a regular basis - not done by the organised mafia but by the impoverished unemployed.

if those in sing buri were not caught already, within a day or two, the chances catching them are now small. They might be now in a foreign country with new opened bank accounts

Edited by londonthai