Which One Is Safer ? Chiang Mai Or Bangkok

duiter

Statistics are for losers?

Do you have any mathmatical equations to back up such a claim?

It's a quote from baseball that Ian really should have put in quotes otherwise some people tend to get excited at remarks like that.

Yes, it's a quote from sports, and you can pick your sport... it applies to all of them. If you've got one foot in boiling water and the other in a bucket of Ice then the statistical average would show that you should be comfortable. I've been around a long time and heard all sorts of predictions based on statistics that have proven entirely false. Yes, statistics are useful up to a point, but they are just part of the equation.

Hmm, averages and statistics are not quite the same thing, the former being a subset of the latter. Using your example, the average of the two tempretures would produce a third and middle number which statistically would be meangingless!

OP.. what element of safety do you refer to

If it attack from hordes of locusts in biblical proportions then I think they will be about equal.

If its from trolls // goblins they stay away from bridges in both cities as they both have them.( Bridges I mean)

Razor cuts from shaving, spotted owl attacks, herpes, Lou Gehrigs disease when your name is not Lou Gehrig, being knocked out by an ice puck that breaks the safety glass,having your teepee collapse on you, attacked by marauding aztec indians, pygmies with blow darts, runway som tam carts, isotopes of hydrogen, nuclear fall out from japan, cigeratura poisoning , fires in high story hotels, fire in low hotels, return of Thaksin, a overthrow of the government by San Suu Kyi, having Justin Beiber try and barfine you, go go bar girls in short skirts, go go bar girls in long skirts, go go bar with no skirts, malaria, dysentery, ebola fever, Darth Vader, he who we cannot name, he who we cannot name's snake, mystical reappearance of Bing Crosby, finding out that the girls in Abba were really ladyboys, nude hippo races .... these are only on Thursdays in bangkok by the way.. finding out that you really do need to pay attention to the seat belt demonstration on a flight, finding yourself conscripted to building barns for the Amish, being mugged by Quakers...finding out that sex is dirty if your doing it right.

Please give us a term or reference so you might get some serious answers...otherwise some of us might just not take you too seriously and try and make fun.

Metropolitan CM is around 1 mill. people whereas greater Bangkok is around 7 mill. (plus another 5 mill. transient workers) so statistically it is far safer.

Seems like a bit of a non-sequitor to me. There's one person on my pogo stick, forty peoople on the bus, and they're a lot safer than I am. I imagine the OP is concerned about the risk to himself, and he'll be one person whether he goes to Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

I think the answer is that no-one here knows, but they believe CM to be safer because it is more of a sleepy backwater, and the news coverage is probably not so good. Like me, they are not sufficiently interested to do the research and give you an objective answer.

SC

Street cowboy on a pogo stick.. now theres an oxymoron

If it attack from hordes of locusts in biblical proportions then I think they will be about equal.

If its from trolls // goblins they stay away from bridges in both cities as they both have them.( Bridges I mean)

Razor cuts from shaving, spotted owl attacks, herpes, Lou Gehrigs disease when your name is not Lou Gehrig, being knocked out by an ice puck that breaks the safety glass,having your teepee collapse on you, attacked by marauding aztec indians, pygmies with blow darts, runway som tam carts, isotopes of hydrogen, nuclear fall out from japan, cigeratura poisoning , fires in high story hotels, fire in low hotels, return of Thaksin, a overthrow of the government by San Suu Kyi, having Justin Beiber try and barfine you, go go bar girls in short skirts, go go bar girls in long skirts, go go bar with no skirts, malaria, dysentery, ebola fever, Darth Vader, he who we cannot name, he who we cannot name's snake, mystical reappearance of Bing Crosby, finding out that the girls in Abba were really ladyboys, nude hippo races .... these are only on Thursdays in bangkok by the way.. finding out that you really do need to pay attention to the seat belt demonstration on a flight, finding yourself conscripted to building barns for the Amish, being mugged by Quakers...finding out that sex is dirty if your doing it right.

Please give us a term or reference so you might get some serious answers...otherwise some of us might just not take you too seriously and try and make fun.

Surely people are quite serious, in General...

A fella was walking across a field. He shouts over to the farmer in the next field "Is this bull safe"

"He's a lot safer than you are right now, mate..."

SC

• Like 1

Metropolitan CM is around 1 mill. people whereas greater Bangkok is around 7 mill. (plus another 5 mill. transient workers) so statistically it is far safer.

Seems like a bit of a non-sequitor to me. There's one person on my pogo stick, forty peoople on the bus, and they're a lot safer than I am. I imagine the OP is concerned about the risk to himself, and he'll be one person whether he goes to Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

I think the answer is that no-one here knows, but they believe CM to be safer because it is more of a sleepy backwater, and the news coverage is probably not so good. Like me, they are not sufficiently interested to do the research and give you an objective answer.

SC

I'm frightened to take my spacehopper on the BTS, after last week's shenannigans.

SC

Crime and accidents are typically rated on a per thousand or per hundred thousand basis, therefore, because there are twelve times more people in Bangkok than in Chiang Mai there are more crimes/accidents in Bangkok, ergo Chiang Mai is STATISTICALLY safer!

its ONLY statistically safer if you divide the accdients by the population and CM is still lower

although ,more planes fly into bkk than CMX ,so theres a greater risk of a plane landing on your house smile.png

How so Wana ? If there are more houses in Bkk then wouldn't this mitigate the risk such that your house is less unlikely to receive Thai airways maiden landing of the Airbus A300 ?

Lets say 5million house in Bangkok and 300 landings per day

Lets say 500,00 houses in CM and 50 landings per day

Not considering flight paths ( which by the way renders this exercise somewhat theoretical) then in BKK you have landings to house ratio of 0.00006 while in CM you have a ratio of 0.0001 ergo you have more chance in CM of receiving a plane landing on your house...

see what happens when someone posts a non specific query we all go off in tangents.. actually im supposed to be working but just deadly bored at present.

back to Motorbike section of the forum for me.. must be someone there I can annoy

A fella was walking across a field. He shouts over to the farmer in the next field "Is this bull safe"

SC

Street Cowboy, get back on your pogo stick.. we should not be making humour on such a serious thread.. LOL.. like the joke by the way..

was that safer in CM or in BKK though.. just curious

Crime and accidents are typically rated on a per thousand or per hundred thousand basis, therefore, because there are twelve times more people in Bangkok than in Chiang Mai there are more crimes/accidents in Bangkok, ergo Chiang Mai is STATISTICALLY safer!

its ONLY statistically safer if you divide the accdients by the population and CM is still lower

although ,more planes fly into bkk than CMX ,so theres a greater risk of a plane landing on your house smile.png

How so Wana ? If there are more houses in Bkk then wouldn't this mitigate the risk such that your house is less unlikely to receive Thai airways maiden landing of the Airbus A300 ?

Lets say 5million house in Bangkok and 300 landings per day

Lets say 500,00 houses in CM and 50 landings per day

Not considering flight paths ( which by the way renders this exercise somewhat theoretical) then in BKK you have landings to house ratio of 0.00006 while in CM you have a ratio of 0.0001 ergo you have more chance in CM of receiving a plane landing on your house...

see what happens when someone posts a non specific query we all go off in tangents.. actually im supposed to be working but just deadly bored at present.

back to Motorbike section of the forum for me.. must be someone there I can annoy

ahhh but those amongst you who are astute will notice the error... currently there are no Thai A300's flying into Chiang mai so i stand corrected for my mistake wana if it was indeed A300's that you meant then sir i but doth my cap for thou art correct.... I will go and atone for my errors by selecting a particularly whiplike birch branch and render myslef a thorough beating .

Im still bored...

SC

Street Cowboy, get back on your pogo stick.. we should not be making humour on such a serious thread.. LOL.. like the joke by the way..

I reckon Chaing Mai is safer, as I think Bangkok is at risk of nationalism, and could go the way of Saigon, with just little Bangkok Noi left on the Thonburi side, opposite the metropolis of Krungthep Mahanakhon

SC

Irrelevant and Off-topic Aside

I have a terrible penchant for confusing Thonburi and Chonburi, and once spent ages waiting for a train to Bangkok, letting at least two Thonburi trains go, thinking that they were of little use to me... I ended up spending six or seven hours on a 40 Bht 3rd class only, and eventually bailed out at Bang Sue to get the MRT.

SC

I'm frightened to take my spacehopper on the BTS, after last week's shenannigans.

SC

I can well understand, could you not disguise it a bit by tieing say a few balloons to it..might draw attention away from it.

just an idea.. no thanks or expressions of extreme gratitude needed

SC

I reckon Chaing Mai is safer, as I think Bangkok is at risk of nationalism, and could go the way of Saigon, with just little Bangkok Noi left on the Thonburi side, opposite the metropolis of Krungthep Mahanakhon

SC

Irrelevant and Off-topic Aside

I have a terrible penchant for confusing Thonburi and Chonburi, and once spent ages waiting for a train to Bangkok, letting at least two Thonburi trains go, thinking that they were of little use to me... I ended up spending six or seven hours on a 40 Bht 3rd class only, and eventually bailed out at Bang Sue to get the MRT.

you mean you don't have the latest pogo stick with the sat nav consol.. such an admission... upgrade time for you street cowboy

Mods.. are pogo sticks worthy of a separate forum ???

A post has been removed as the quoted posts had been altered to change different members saying something they didn't say. Do not alter quoted posts:

30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

Im still consulting the Funk and Wagner about poltroonery..... yes the imagery of a pogo stick attack is a good one of course with a closing view of you hoping away through the crowds.. balloons merrily streaming behind you and young wanton maidens looking on with lustful, lavicisous looks in their eyes... one of the girls turns to camera and says.. I just love a man with a bouncy pogo.

In fact i think we are onto something here.. you know that guy in Sweden.. what was his name.. knight rider or hell rider... Street Cowboy how does "PogoBoy" sound . Dressed in leathers with a cap on with wording on jacket and emblem... I think we have just created a new superhero... able to leap school bags in a single boing.... god surely Hollywood must be missing me.

Leave it with me Street Cowboy I mean PogoBoy, after I figure out poltroonery Im working on your brand image...

Im still consulting the Funk and Wagner about poltroonery..... yes the imagery of a pogo stick attack is a good one of course with a closing view of you hoping away through the crowds.. balloons merrily streaming behind you and young wanton maidens looking on with lustful, lavicisous looks in their eyes... one of the girls turns to camera and says.. I just love a man with a bouncy pogo.

In fact i think we are onto something here.. you know that guy in Sweden.. what was his name.. knight rider or hell rider... Street Cowboy how does "PogoBoy" sound . Dressed in leathers with a cap on with wording on jacket and emblem... I think we have just created a new superhero... able to leap school bags in a single boing.... god surely Hollywood must be missing me.

Leave it with me Street Cowboy I mean PogoBoy, after I figure out poltroonery Im working on your brand image...

After your last little gem of advice nearly got me killed, I'm not sure I'm entirely happy that you, Funk&Wagner are looking after my image. Glad to see you envisage me wearing a cap, though; I would not like the wording on the jacket to be "Itchy Member".

I suppose I should have used the dictionary before I used the word rather than after. It turns out poltroonery is not a synonym for buffoonery. Still, we learn something new every day, though we may seldom remember it past lunchtime

SC

I've just consulted my marketing and PR consultants " Allcock and Botty" and they feel Pogo Boy doesn't have enough oomph

Their suggestions are

1) Hopper

2) The Night Bouncer and

3) Thai Kangaroo

first one grabs me.. further they recommend a thai style series of episodes with a sort of harry potty lean to them as well as taking some advantage of well known movie themes

Hopper and the Secret somtam cart

Hopper and the Tuk Tuk of Sedition

Hopper and the Temple of he who cannot be pronounced as it has a boatload of 'r's" in it

Hopper and the ghost of pad thai's past

Welcome Back Mr Hopper

Hopper loses his bounce

Hopper finds his bounce

Hopper bounces in centre lane and pays 200B to BIB

Hopper in heat.

OP, you never knew what you started with a simple which is safer question but when hopper formerly known as pogo boy becomes a super star I think it fair to say that you can look back with pride and say " I started all this".

Im feeling a bit tired now.. might go take a nanna nap.....

Mods.. is it time yet ???????

I've just consulted my marketing and PR consultants " Allcock and Botty" and they feel Pogo Boy doesn't have enough oomph

Their suggestions are

1) Hopper

2) The Night Bouncer and

3) Thai Kangaroo

first one grabs me.. further they recommend a thai style series of episodes with a sort of harry potty lean to them as well as taking some advantage of well known movie themes

Hopper and the Temple of he who cannot be pronounced as it has a boatload of 'r's" in it

Welcome Back Mr Hopper

Hopper loses his bounce

Hopper finds his bounce

Hopper in heat.

OP, you never knew what you started with a simple which is safer question but when hopper formerly known as pogo boy becomes a super star I think it fair to say that you can look back with pride and say " I started all this".

I can't help feeling I'd be safer moving to Chiang Mai, or Beirut or somewhere like that. Which do you reckon is safer, Nonthaburi or Nantwich?

SC

Their suggestions are

1) Hopper

2) The Night Bouncer and

3) Thai Kangaroo

Welcome Back Mr Hopper

Hopper loses his bounce

Hopper finds his bounce

Hopper in heat.

I can't help feeling I'd be safer moving to Chiang Mai, or Beirut or somewhere like that. Which do you reckon is safer, Nonthaburi or Nantwich?

SC

I hear the incidence of tuk tuk ripoffs and jet ski scams is low in Kabul ...

Their suggestions are

1) Hopper

2) The Night Bouncer and

3) Thai Kangaroo

Welcome Back Mr Hopper

Hopper loses his bounce

Hopper finds his bounce

Hopper in heat.

SC

Apologies I didnt read the question correctly.. Nonthaburi or nantwhich.. answer is it depends if your Welsh... still believe ye olde Cheshire town laws are in place whereby if you find a welshman inside the city walls after dark you may shoot him with your bow and arrow. Im note sure if there is city wall ordinance decree like that in Nonthaburi but im sure 200B would get around it.. so I will go for Nonthaburi with added caveat " if you are welsh".

Their suggestions are

1) Hopper

2) The Night Bouncer and

3) Thai Kangaroo

Welcome Back Mr Hopper

Hopper loses his bounce

Hopper finds his bounce

Hopper in heat.

SC

Apologies I didnt read the question correctly.. Nonthaburi or nantwhich.. answer is it depends if your Welsh... still believe ye olde Cheshire town laws are in place whereby if you find a welshman inside the city walls after dark you may shoot him with your bow and arrow. Im note sure if there is city wall ordinance decree like that in Nonthaburi but im sure 200B would get around it.. so I will go for Nonthaburi with added caveat " if you are welsh".

It might be worth pointing out to our fellow posters that they do not need to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and go all the way West of the Pennines - the Warrington - St Helens game is on Eurosport in the small hours of Saturday morning.

SC

Edit: Live from the Halliwell Jones, by the way

Edited by StreetCowboy

I would bet pounds to peanuts that by far the biggest determinant when it comes to accidents is your own behaviour.

If you are a risk taker, who drinks too much, pays for sex, smokes, eats the wrong foods, does not wear a seatbelt, and so on, it does not matter much whether you live in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, or on the moon.

On the other hand, if you are a sensible person, get plenty of exercise, live a moderate and temperate life you would probably have a far longer life expectancy than 99% of the posters on Thai Visa, no matter where you live.

I would bet pounds to peanuts that by far the biggest determinant when it comes to accidents is your own behaviour.

If you are a risk taker, who drinks too much, pays for sex, smokes, eats the wrong foods, does not wear a seatbelt, and so on, it does not matter much whether you live in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, or on the moon.

On the other hand, if you are a sensible person, get plenty of exercise, live a moderate and temperate life you would probably have a far longer life expectancy than 99% of the posters on Thai Visa, no matter where you live.

So you reckon 1% or less of our fellow posters live moderate and temperate lives, and get plenty of exercise?

We should find these wierdos and cast them out from our fellowship, lest they spoil our reputation and affect our annuity rates

SC

Let's start a witch-hunt.......who do you think these scoundrels are annoyed.gif

I'll go get a stake and a box of matches................ph34r.png

I'm one, come and get me, I'm ready! tongue.png

Unfortunately for you Chiang Mai........I'm flying into Chiang Mai next week..........There may be trouble ahead!!

Cool, I'll be Fred and you, since you're from the northern clans, can be Rita :)

• Like 1