73-Year-Old Woman Gets 3 Years, 4 Months For Electrocuting Thief

Lite Beer

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The court ruled that Thongdee Jaemsri was guilty in having 41 kilograms of kratom in possession with intent to sell.

It's a heavy-handed excessive charge.

What's to say it wasn't grandma's personal use stash?

Well, with the Governments new drive on drug dealers, she is lucky Chavalit isn't pushing for an execution in 2 weeks.

The court ruled that Thongdee Jaemsri was guilty in having 41 kilograms of kratom in possession with intent to sell.

Well, with the Governments new drive on drug dealers, she is lucky Chavalit isn't pushing for an execution in 2 weeks.

ah yes, that's true... * although Chalerm, not Chavalit, is the Drug Czar *

ah yes, that's true... * although Chalerm, not Chavalit, is the Drug Czar *

Bugger! You're right! I am getting all my Chavs mixed up :) Chalerm it is.

• Like 1

We can't say for sure that the guy was a Thief as he never got to court to plead guilty or have a fair trial.

Also, he was leaving at the time he was electrocuted so he was no threat !

So what was he then? The meter man? And how did the electric fence distinguish the fact that the guy was leaving (as you say) and therefore no threat, or was the old dear sat with a huge master switch in her hand waiting for him to grab hold of the fence?

In any country I know this would be a crime.

This was a thief, but what if it there was a fire and a fireman broke into the house to rescue any inhabitants. He would have been killed the same way as this burgular.

He would have rubber boots on. giggle.gif

and the power supply would have been cut beforehand...

We can't say for sure that the guy was a Thief as he never got to court to plead guilty or have a fair trial.

So what was he then? The meter man? And how did the electric fence distinguish the fact that the guy was leaving (as you say) and therefore no threat, or was the old dear sat with a huge master switch in her hand waiting for him to grab hold of the fence?

The article said he was leaving, not me! Also, now he's dead it's impossible for anyone to say he was a thief, he could be a guy that she didnt like and she invited him over then electrocuted him.

To all those people who say it was a harsh sentence, did you not read the article, she was convicted of pre-meditated MURDER

This is outrages.

So we are not allowed to protect our houses, are we?

And what if a child tried to climb over the fence to retrive a football accidentually kicked onto the woman`s property

can't believe it took 24 posts for someone to point this out

actually, yes i can... what was i thinking?! lol

Edited by nurofiend

Well In Thailand you can use lethal Force if you have Burglars in your House. But she grew Kratom whitch is a Class 5 Drug in Thailand as it is Marihuana , so actually she can be lucky to get just 3. Years for killing a Man and producing (growing) Drugs for intent to sale, i m suprised she actually did not get a bigger Jail Term . If there would be just a break in and she would have shot him nothing would have happened to her.

Since maybe some Posters don t know Kratom , what would you say if she would have grown Marihuana (class 5 Drug too) in her Garden and killed the Guy just to protect her Stash in my Country whitch has much less harsh Drug laws she would have got a min of 10. Years in Prison for that.

Give the old biddy a break! She missed him on the way IN!

I know a farang in Thailand who had many things stolen over a protracted period of time. The property was rural, with no caretaker (Thais won't live in a secluded house for free because they're afraid of ghosts and they think only drunkards and scum live in places for free). Because the thief always stole electric related items (wire, electric tools, batteries) a trap was set up, with an old battery, plus live 220 v. electric hidden around it. After a few days, the farang worried about getting jail time (if the thief died), so he disconnected the wiring. But the rest of the trap is still in place, last time he spoke to me about it.

I was worried when I saw the title of this story - I thought some poor old granny was being sent to prison because some thief got a little shock from her faulty wiring - I feel much better having read the article - sounds like justice (or karma) was served for all concerned

This was a thief, but what if it there was a fire and a fireman broke into the house to rescue any inhabitants. He would have been killed the same way as this burgular.

And of course, the thief didn't have robber boots on,right?rolleyes.gif

Still, a rather shocking thing to happen, maybe she should have had a flock of pitbulls?

Flock? Interesting, are you from the USA by chance?

And of course, the thief didn't have robber boots on,right?rolleyes.gif

Still, a rather shocking thing to happen, maybe she should have had a flock of pitbulls?

Flock? Interesting, are you from the USA by chance?

he must mean these guys.. they're very rare.

3373571175_943e41e067_z.jpg

This is outrages.

So we are not allowed to protect our houses, are we?

In Australia it is called mantraps and totally illegal also. She probably got the same sentence as she would have got in Australia another civilised country. You can't set rabbit or foxtraps and you definately can't set mantraps or use firearms. Try getting a gaurd dog and security alarm.

If I put up a electric grid on my yard, well within the boundaries of the land so no-one innocent could touch it, had a nice sign warning for it - why would I feel guilt if a burglar got fried from touching it?

I didn't force him to commit a crime and I didn't force him to touch the defense-grid.

So no one is innocent who is on your land? A child kicks a football into your garden, climbs over the fence to get it and.......Meanwhile you are safely tucked up with your paranoia and proud of the fact that you will defend your plot to the death, as long as it is someone elses.

laugh.pnglaugh.png , So your one of those religious green blokes that forgives the killers of your family eh. The criminals who have no scruples at all laugh at you folk. coffee1.gif

Well, no actually, you couldn't be further from the truth (though I do turn lights off). I just have a brain that works and a conscience I rely on. It's worked so far. My family are quite capable.

In USA it is allowed to shoot down any bypasser on the street if you think he/she look suspicious,

there is currently such a case on television

Precisely. Be interesting to see what they make of this

tumblr_m1cib27M661r1767o.jpg

It'll be a tossup which group gets the most support on here - the ones arguing for neighbour hood watch style vigilantism or those arguing about how many hoodies actually turned up.......................

Edited by phiphidon

Your home is your castle and you should be allowed to protect it. I can't see what she done wrong. What if she had a gun and shot him, would that be premeditated murder as well?

Karma's a bitch. He done wrong and got punished. I hate people that steel. Get a bloody job like the rest of us.

Sorry, having a bad day.

Job? What are you blowing about here?

I have very little respect for those that doesn't know the difference between 'mine' and 'yours'.

Imaginary scenarios with kids and footballs are the escapes of the lazy.

Edited by TAWP

Thailand does indeed have laws that stipulate appropriate force. If a robber comes in to your house and threatens you and your family you can shoot him. But as the police said to me, for Gods sake shoot to kill! If you shoot him running out your garden you are in big big trouble (so drag him back in said the police!!

It is unlikely a 73 year old woman knew of the lethality of the fence. I would think she was talking to one of her 'regulars' about protecting the drug and he said, I know someone that can put up electric fences....bingo. So something that done properly will set you back 80-100K for a 30m by 20m garden gets done for her for 3000 baht! It could be a tough old time in the clink for a 73 year old.

No you can’t. It`s not that simple.

If someone intrudes onto your land, either making threats or not and is unarmed and he is seriously hurt or killed from a weapon or devices set up on the land used by the landowner or anyone else on the property, than those responsible will be charged with GBH, attempted man slaughter or manslaughter if the intruder dies.

If an unarmed intruder invades a property, the resident is permitted to use reasonable force to restrain the intruder and can make a citizens arrest. If the intruder receives minor injuries during this procedure, than that too is not a criminal offence, providing the actions of the resident can be justified to the police and perhaps the court.

If an intruder is armed and breaks into a property then suffers injury or death from the person or people living there, that can be claimed as self-defence but the residents had better be able to prove it was self-defence.

It`s not so cut and dry as many of you may believe and also must take into consideration that those who hold firearms must be approved and licensed to use them, otherwise the user could still find themselves in serious trouble resulting with serious consequences.

Another point is that ignorance of a fact is no defence under the law, which means the old hag cannot make excuses for frying the alleged thief. Yes, surprise, surprise, these laws even pertain in Thailand.

Edited by Beetlejuice

The law in many jurisdictions only allows for appropriate force to be used. Killing someone in respect to a small property crime is not usually considered appropriate, particularly when there is no imminent threat of bodily harm.

It is this attitude of willful killing that created the recent case where an innocent unarmed young afro american kid was shot on the sidewalk in Sanford, Florida, USA by a gun toting self appointed neighbourhood watch person, despite being told by the police dispatcher not to pursue the kid.

100% correct, I'm not going to comment on the USA case from a legal point of view but personally I find it hard to believe that a gun toting member of the public can just gun down anyone they think doesn't fit the neigourhood which unless I have missed something seems to be best fit for this senario....shocking.............................remind me not to get lost in the suberbs of USA someone is going to shoot me dead for trespassing on a public place.................I hope there is a federal investigation into this

and sorry if I ave missed some detail on this thread....I didn't read it

Edited by smedly

If I put up a electric grid on my yard, well within the boundaries of the land so no-one innocent could touch it, had a nice sign warning for it - why would I feel guilt if a burglar got fried from touching it?

I didn't force him to commit a crime and I didn't force him to touch the defense-grid.

So no one is innocent who is on your land? A child kicks a football into your garden, climbs over the fence to get it and.......Meanwhile you are safely tucked up with your paranoia and proud of the fact that you will defend your plot to the death, as long as it is someone elses.

Yet you are happy to defend your illegal protest with military weapons and random grenade attacks?

Thailand does indeed have laws that stipulate appropriate force. If a robber comes in to your house and threatens you and your family you can shoot him. But as the police said to me, for Gods sake shoot to kill! If you shoot him running out your garden you are in big big trouble (so drag him back in said the police!!

It is unlikely a 73 year old woman knew of the lethality of the fence. I would think she was talking to one of her 'regulars' about protecting the drug and he said, I know someone that can put up electric fences....bingo. So something that done properly will set you back 80-100K for a 30m by 20m garden gets done for her for 3000 baht! It could be a tough old time in the clink for a 73 year old.

No you can’t. It`s not that simple.

If someone intrudes onto your land, either making threats or not and is unarmed and he is seriously hurt or killed from a weapon or devices set up on the land used by the landowner or anyone else on the property, than those responsible will be charged with GBH, attempted man slaughter or manslaughter if the intruder dies.

If an unarmed intruder invades a property, the resident is permitted to use reasonable force to restrain the intruder and can make a citizens arrest. If the intruder receives minor injuries during this procedure, than that too is not a criminal offence, providing the actions of the resident can be justified to the police and perhaps the court.

If an intruder is armed and breaks into a property then suffers injury or death from the person or people living there, that can be claimed as self-defence but the residents had better be able to prove it was self-defence.

It`s not so cut and dry as many of you may believe and also must take into consideration that those who hold firearms must be approved and licensed to use them, otherwise the user could still find themselves in serious trouble resulting with serious consequences.

Another point is that ignorance of a fact is no defence under the law, which means the old hag cannot make excuses for frying the alleged thief. Yes, surprise, surprise, these laws even pertain in Thailand.

Remember TIT. all of the above only come into play IF a case is presented to court. Rules to remember:

1/ shoot him in the front

2/ make sure he is dead

3/ using a cloth to remove and avoid your fingerprints, place a carving knife in his hand. For added credibility, a small cut on your non-gun forearm will do wonders.

4/ place several 1000 baht notes in the deceased's other hand to be confiscated as evidence

5/ call BIB. Be sure to express deep remorse, and indicate gratitude to officers for "handling" case.

In a related case, my Thai wife attacked me with a meat cleaver, causing a fair amount of spilled blood, and the BIB refused to act calling it a domestic issue. I informed the desk sergeant that the next time she came to my house, I would break her neck and use the knife with her fingerprints in my blood, along with a few credibility cuts, as evidence of self defence. He assured me that he would pass the message and I havn't seen her since.