Retirement In Malaysia - Report By Live And Invest Overseas Publishing Group

Sing_Sling

Americans rate M’sia among best 18 places to retire

NEW YORK: Malaysia has been listed as one of the 18 best places for Americans to retire overseas, based on the criteria of affordability and quality of life, for senior citizens.

The list of 18 countries was compiled by Kathleen Peddicord, the founder of the Live and Invest Overseas publishing group.

Peddicord, who has been covering the subject for more than 25 years, reports on current opportunities for living, retiring and investing overseas in her newsletter which is available in a digital format.

Her book 'How To Retire Overseas - Everything You Need to Know To Live Well Abroad for Less' was recently released by Penguin Books.

Besides Malaysia, two other Asean countries were also listed as retirement destinations, namely Thailand (16th) and Vietnam (17th) in Peddicord's list.

According to Peddicord, Malaysia is the "easiest country to navigate in this part of the world (Southeast Asia)" after Thailand and also described Kuala Lumpur as a city of contrasts.

The shining stainless steel Petronas Towers, two of the tallest skyscrapers in the world, anchor a startlingly beautiful skyline that is truly unique to the city, and the references to modern, air-conditioned malls that sell everything from beautifully handcrafted batik clothing to genuine Rolex watches and Tiffany jewellery.

"In the shadows of these ultra-modern buildings, the ancient Malay village of Kampung Baru still thrives, with free-roaming roosters and a slow pace of life generally found in rural villages," she said.

"Less than a 20-minute walk from the city centre, you can find yourself conversing with monkeys in the city-jungle surrounding one of the highest telecommunications towers in the world.

"A walk of less than 30 minutes leads you to Chinatown and Little India, where merchants offer their wares, foods and culture in a happy neighbourhood that showcases the amazing diversity of the city," said the author. But Kuala Lumpur's charm is also fleshed out in semi-anecdotal references.

"Unlike some places in Asia, foreigners are genuinely welcomed in Kuala Lumpur. Language isn't a problem, as almost everyone speaks adequate English. Immigration is easy, and it is possible to stay for an extended period with a simple tourist visa," she said.

Peddicord said Malaysia could do well to highlight its "Malaysia My Second Home" programme which is specifically addressed to senior citizens abroad.

As the cost of living in their own country explode, more and more North Americans are looking at retiring abroad where, to borrow a local saying, "the buck can be stretched further".

Even though Kuala Lumpur is more expensive than rural Malaysia, it is still inexpensive by Western standards.

"You can realistically expect to cut your living expenses by a third and still enjoy a lifestyle comparable to what you are accustomed to now," she said. - Bernama

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2012/3/27/nation/20120327151014&sec=nation

For those looking at an alternative - and in response to several queries on this subject, here is a report I saw in the paper today citing Malaysia as a viable spot for Americans to retire.

I guess only those who are in the situation to retire here will find it of interest as the MM2H (Malaysia My Second Home) scheme has been discussed in quite a bit of detail.

Some people can afford it, others can not.

Some people can afford Thailand, others can not

Some people can afford Monaco, others can not

Before we get the usual 'threadus interruptus' about gay sex with Muslims holy men, beer being outlawed by ravaging hordes of fundamentalist-bearded Islamists and pork not being able to be found in your neighbourhood Mamak (Muslim) take-away . . . Oh, and the tried and trusted 'you will be crucified for being Christian/Buddhist/Jewish/Hindu etc . . . = Rubbish.

Though I'm not a retiree here, I would certainly prefer Malaysia over Thailand for many reasons despite being born in Bangkok (to western parents on a posting to Thailand), having had a business in Thailand and having spent quite a few vacations there.

Horses for courses . . . a matter of preference, just don't let the idiotic ramblings of some regarding the Muslim side of things stop you from making enquiries if you wish to . . . I'm not a Muslim - some would say quite the opposite - and I have NEVER felt threatened by individuals nor the state . . . and no-one in power is going to be stupid enough to try to ignite ethnic tensions between two sides who make up about 50% of the population each . . . and whose economic power provides the vast majority of income for the government.

Do annoyances exist between the various ethnic groups? Of course.

The federal government has had in place 'special rights' for Bumiputera (sons of the earth), meaning Malays, Sabahans, Sarawakians, Thais (in the north) and the Orang Asli (Malaysian Aborigines). Some of these are a percentage of university spots reserved for this group to stop the harder working (generally) Chinese and Indians overpowering the others academically. Another is getting housing for 7% less etc... Lower entry requirements for the public service, which is ok because most Chinese or Indians don't want to be public servants.

The country itself is like Thailand . . . only cleaner, safer, more developed, English-speaking, with better and more varied food, etc....

Lots to like, little to dislike except the driving . . . for educated people edging into the first world they drive worse than anynwhere else I have ever encountered

• Like 1

The discrimination against the Chinese and Indian ethnic groups is palpable and stifling. make no mistake, malaysia is a muslim state and the religion holds precedence over everything. If you can deal with that, fine. If not, fine again. I happen to be rather fond of Malaysia and have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the country. However, that was before Penang deteriorated into a craphole. I like Lankgawi, but I stayed in the resort area and was isolated from the locals. Kuantan was nice but lonely as I had no Malaysian friends. Malaysia works if you have money and can afford to live in a farang ghetto. And have no delusions, the potential for unrest is just as strong in Malaysia as it is in Thailand. Corruption is just as strong there too, although not in your face as it is here. he difference though is that Malaysians are better educated and have higher per capita incomes than Thais and it shows. And Malaysian food is as good as Thai food, particularly mee goreng, which is what I eat whenever I am depressed. Malaysians do have better noodle dishes.

The discrimination against the Chinese and Indian ethnic groups is palpable and stifling. make no mistake, malaysia is a muslim state and the religion holds precedence over everything. If you can deal with that, fine. If not, fine again. I happen to be rather fond of Malaysia and have thoroughly enjoyed my time in the country. However, that was before Penang deteriorated into a craphole. I like Lankgawi, but I stayed in the resort area and was isolated from the locals. Kuantan was nice but lonely as I had no Malaysian friends. Malaysia works if you have money and can afford to live in a farang ghetto. And have no delusions, the potential for unrest is just as strong in Malaysia as it is in Thailand. Corruption is just as strong there too, although not in your face as it is here. he difference though is that Malaysians are better educated and have higher per capita incomes than Thais and it shows. And Malaysian food is as good as Thai food, particularly mee goreng, which is what I eat whenever I am depressed. Malaysians do have better noodle dishes.

Allow me to reply - I haven't found the discrimination to be neither stifling nor palpable . . . it is more a case of positive discrimination towards the Malays/Bumiputeras. So, instead of taking things (rights) away from the Indians and Chinese they just give more to the Bumis - as I gave some examples above.

My wife is of Chinese Malaysian descent and isn't bothered by it at all as everyone is the same under the law, that doesn't change - well, the Muslims have two sets of laws to adhere to, 'western' and sharia, so they are at a disadvantage.

Penang is overcrowded and the traffic is is quite bad - have you been there since the opposition has been in power? It is a lot better now, you should go back for a look

As for the farang ghetto - I really don't know of any. Don't forget that the expats living in places like KL are working/professional expats whose income places them in the higher echelons of society, therefore they will live in certain areas - quite logical really. We live in an area with expats, but because there are five or six large areas/suburbs which attract 'us' it isn't overwhelming.

Proximity to the city/work, a better suburb, proximity to international schools - those are the factors that decide where one lives here.

I would disagree, however, that potential unrest is just as possible as in Thailand . . . just look at the two countries, they couldn't be further apart.

How many changes of government in Thailand and Malaysia? Malaysia has never had a military take-over/putsch. The military is completely out of politics, this is enshrined in the constitution.

How many people have been killed in the south of Thailand by insurgents and the military? Thousands and thousands . . . Malaysia? There is no insurgency, there is no military governance anywhere.

You are right, however, Malaysia is not a place for everyone . . . and it is in second place behind Thailand in the number of foreigners living there

• Like 1