Where To Buy A Big Bike

englishoak

Just wondering if there are any good big bike dealers there.

I know having lived in bkk that the only bikes worth having IMHO are customs. Going faster just increases the chance of dying.

In the absence of a triumph dealer in Thailand and the lack of servicing experience my favorite choice is out. I expect it will be a big jap custom or even a Harley.

Other than siam superbike I can't find any other shops on the net. Any ideas?

I love harleys but I have owned a couple in the uk and they do not like the rain, mabe it's the cold here too. I also found constant maintenance was necessary on harleys when ridden hard. I use a bike all the time so it's going to be my main transport not just an occasional thing. One other thing about harleys in thailand. There are bloody expensive and I find it hard to justify paying the same as the uk for a 10 year old model.

c'mon guys change my mind :o

Well, there is Big Twin in RCA, Powerstation somehwere next to the Lao embassy, Siam speedway on New petchaburi...Two of these have websites with pics and prices. Yeah the new Harleys are pricier here then in Europe but there are some great deals to be had on second hand models and they do not need to be 10 yrs old!

For Bangkok, I really do not see the practicality of having a Harley though! You are not allowed on the freeways/motorways, can not get in between traffic so easily, unless you have apehangers. All the stop and go flow of traffic seriously damages the bikes and is a pain in the @rse, its so hot being in a congested road , surrounded by heat reflecting glass buildings in a haze of carbon monoxide....

I don't see what you mean by.."constant maintenance was necessary", I don't find that to be the case...Most of the bikes you see in Harley shops are in for regular servicing or because the owner wants to customize/accessorize it...

Whatever you may get, you will find that riding in Thailand can be enjoyable, with great weather, a large network of paved roads, great environment and lots of places to go to.....if you get out of Bangkok. However, do be very careful of others on the road....can not emphasize that point enough!

I know having lived in bkk that the only bikes worth having IMHO are customs. Going faster just increases the chance of dying.

In the absence of a triumph dealer in Thailand and the lack of servicing experience my favorite choice is out. I expect it will be a big jap custom or even a Harley.

I love harleys but I have owned a couple in the uk and they do not like the rain, mabe it's the cold here too. I also found constant maintenance was necessary on harleys when ridden hard. I use a bike all the time so it's going to be my main transport not just an occasional thing. One other thing about harleys in thailand. There are bloody expensive and I find it hard to justify paying the same as the uk for a 10 year old model.

c'mon guys change my mind  :o

If you dont mind travelling there is a great BSA and Triumph dealer in Chiangmai near the Chiangmai gate hotel, no modern crap but plenty of 60,s bikes Super Rockets, Rocket Goldstars , even ex WD 500 single dispatch bikes in original condition, as for triumphs tiger 100,s and 110,s even had a couple of bonnies, nearly fainted when his thai wife rocked up on a 1960 Norton Dominator 99 it was in immaculate condition, there are plenty of Enfields to be had arond Bangkok. Dont see the point of a harley in thailand, might as by a goldwing or an Aspincade and become a Drag queen :D Nignoy

Mate you don't need to visit shops

try www.mocyc.com Thai website but it has good selection of private sale bikes.

If you have a better idea of what you are looking for PM me and I will ask my friends that I ride with if they know of anything around - they have a nack of securing nice bikes.

Although there is a triumph factory in Chonburi there are bugger all triumphs in Thailand.

I would recomend that a CB1300 or XJR 1300 would be a nice choice of comfort and power but still managable in city traffic.

If you ask PeaceBlondie he will tell you to buy a CBR150 - but you really don't want one of them.

EnglishOaky, 6 years ago I weighed up my options on getting either a new Triumph from a dealer on Lad Prao (I beleive now closed down), a Jap cruiser or, a used Harley.

Like you, the bike that I wanted would be getting used everyday. So for me, the availability of getting wear-n-tear parts over the counter was a major factor. I didn't like the idea of having a bike off the road while waiting for parts to arrive from overseas as I'm like a duck out of water when I'm without a bike. :D

I was left with only Harley on my contemplation list. I settled for a 98 Heritage from Siam Speedway. (I've now had two Harleys from here). This is probably the best shop for buying used Harleys as they have a good turn-around often.

For any maintenance though, I use Jammer on Lad Prao. Just ride in, tell them what I want done, and they do it right away. They also have everything imaginable available over the counter for a big twin (not sure about Sportsters though) including piddly little things like a saddle bag screw. And if I'm replacing worn parts, quite often they don't even throw in any labour charge which would only be a few hundred baht anyway.

Other factors for me getting a Heritage were; it suited me for what I wanted to do, namely touring.

Also, being able to build up a network of HD riding friends, contacts and shops all around Thailand should I have a breakdown or accident (125k on the clock and has never let me down yet)

And, even though I like riding mostly by myself, I have the option of riding with groups of other bikers whenever I feel like company.

A big drawback is the price of parts. Not so bad if you only go on the ocassional run now and then, but using it daily, like I did for about 4 years, I found that I was in Jammer almost every month replacing a tyre or bearings, pads, oil changes, batteries or whatever.

Maintenance as Pluto Manibo says, is no problem. A rear belt that never needs any adjustment, self-adjusting tappets, maintenance free battery, etc., does me just fine. Even though I used to like doing my own work on Triumphs and Harleys back in England, here it's either too hot and I can't be bothered or I just get Jammer to do any work when I'm there for whatever. Labour costs is so cheap anyway if they do charge me.

Something else for you to consider. Getting two bikes.

I would say that probably everyone who has a Harley in Thailand will have another form of transport too, either a 4-wheeler and/or a 'nifty 150'. :D

2 years ago I got a Honda 400 Transalp off roader as a second bike for 50k, from an ad on motorcy.com, a great little all-rounder that has saved me a fair bit of money by not having to pay out all the time for Harley parts.

The Transalp is good for the rare times that I go to inner BKK as I can nip through most of the traffic, I don't feel big potholes too much either that would normally have my fillings popping out my teeth on a street bike, I can see over car-roofs,

sometimes used it on 4-6 days tours around Thailand instead of the HD, and the high saddle height stops my kids from taking it out without my knowledge just to pop out to the local 7-11 or wherever.

The only drawback for the Transalp for me, is again the parts. Not so much the price, but having to wait months for ordered parts to arrive and, on one occassion, the frustration of finding that the wrong part had been ordered.

The only thing that I regret about buying the Transalp or some other offroader for that matter, is that I'm sorry I didn't get one much sooner. :D

All in all, I like both my bikes and use them daily alternately.

But at the end of the day, you just have to weigh up how much riding you think you'll be doing every day, what exactly you want the bike for (touring, commuting etc.) and where you plan to ride it in Thailand.

Best of luck with whatever you decide on. :o

ps. Check out the thread 'Your Rides'. Some nice bikes on there.

EnglishOaky, 6 years ago I weighed up my options on getting either a new Triumph from a dealer on Lad Prao (I beleive now closed down), a Jap cruiser or, a used Harley.

Like you, the bike that I wanted would be getting used everyday. So for me, the availability of getting wear-n-tear parts over the counter was a major factor. I didn't like the idea of having a bike off the road while waiting for parts to arrive from overseas as I'm like a duck out of water when I'm without a bike. :D

I was left with only Harley on my contemplation list. I settled for a 98 Heritage from Siam Speedway. (I've now had two Harleys from here). This is probably the best shop for buying used Harleys as they have a good turn-around often.

For any maintenance though, I use Jammer on Lad Prao. Just ride in, tell them what I want done, and they do it right away. They also have everything imaginable available over the counter for a big twin (not sure about Sportsters though) including piddly little things like a saddle bag screw. And if I'm replacing worn parts, quite often they don't even throw in any labour charge which would only be a few hundred baht anyway.

Other factors for me getting a Heritage were; it suited me for what I wanted to do, namely touring.

Also, being able to build up a network of HD riding friends, contacts and shops all around Thailand should I have a breakdown or accident (125k on the clock and has never let me down yet)

And, even though I like riding mostly by myself, I have the option of riding with groups of other bikers whenever I feel like company.

A big drawback is the price of parts. Not so bad if you only go on the ocassional run now and then, but using it daily, like I did for about 4 years, I found that I was in Jammer almost every month replacing a tyre or bearings, pads, oil changes, batteries or whatever.

Maintenance as Pluto Manibo says, is no problem. A rear belt that never needs any adjustment, self-adjusting tappets, maintenance free battery, etc., does me just fine. Even though I used to like doing my own work on Triumphs and Harleys back in England, here it's either too hot and I can't be bothered or I just get Jammer to do any work when I'm there for whatever. Labour costs is so cheap anyway if they do charge me.

I would say that probably everyone who has a Harley in Thailand will have another form of transport too, either a 4-wheeler and/or a 'nifty 150'. :D

2 years ago I got a Honda 400 Transalp off roader as a second bike for 50k, from an ad on motorcy.com, a great little all-rounder that has saved me a fair bit of money by not having to pay out all the time for Harley parts.

The Transalp is good for the rare times that I go to inner BKK as I can nip through most of the traffic, I don't feel big potholes too much either that would normally have my fillings popping out my teeth on a street bike, I can see over car-roofs,

sometimes used it on 4-6 days tours around Thailand instead of the HD, and the high saddle height stops my kids from taking it out without my knowledge just to pop out to the local 7-11 or wherever.

The only drawback for the Transalp for me, is again the parts. Not so much the price, but having to wait months for ordered parts to arrive and, on one occassion, the frustration of finding that the wrong part had been ordered.

The only thing that I regret about buying the Transalp or some other offroader for that matter, is that I'm sorry I didn't get one much sooner. :D

But at the end of the day, you just have to weigh up how much riding you think you'll be doing every day, what exactly you want the bike for (touring, commuting etc.) and where you plan to ride it in Thailand.

Best of luck with whatever you decide on.      :o

Gazza, great advice for any biker wanting to buy for the long haul.

My best luck has always been with Kawaski and Honda here in Thailand because of the spares and service available.

Happy biking! :D

Nah; since the OP in this thread wants a big bike, let's not suggest anything under...what, 650 cc? Of course, there are no new big bikes sold in Thailand with a factory warranty, are there? And most of the bikes are used; who knows where they've been serviced, since day one?

Harleys built after about 1981 are dependable partly because they have a lot of original parts not made in America (especially electrics from Japan, shocks from Japan, Mahle pistons from Germany, alloy wheels from Australia, etc.).

Customs are not slow; most of them are just slower than sportbikes with over 400cc. The new V-Rod is very fast.

Can Harleys (that are designed in Milwaukee) endure 118 degree gridlock traffic? I think not. Even my water-cooled Yamaha 550 Vision V-twin used to burn out its alternator in the Texas heat.

You've got a lot of good advice here. Not arguing with any of it.

Best of luck with whatever you decide on.      :o

While not a big fan of HD, very sound and sensible advice, Nignoy

c'mon guys change my mind  :o

Remember the "R's". If you love to Ride, buy a metric bike (Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha). If you love to Repair, buy a Harley!

cracking replies guys :D

All pretty much what I found to be true when there. I already have a phantom in bangers just to get through the traffic. Much bigger is not practical IMHO.

However after doing a lot of runs including mai sai, Aran, and sankra ( kanachanaburi ) I just gotta get a big bike for the touring. The phantoms cute & easy but Iv'e nearly killed it on long runs keeping up with others.

The comments normally range in the Falang me key motorcyce lek maak. :D

Do falang pai kai me key motorcyc lek tum alai Bar! :o

I mostly ride with the wife so comfort for 2 is essential. That means trogs ( trials) are out although I love em.

I'm tall 6"2 so steeds,intruders & most medium japs are out. I also should mention although Iv'e owned most types of bikes over the years customs are my fave. Choppers especially. Having owned a few of the jap harley copies they do most everything better except they lack that soul, which counts for an awful lot in grin factor/satisfaction.

If I had a choice i'd fly the flag and go brit triple or twin. I'd heard there was a triumph factory in Chonburi so I'll be first on the list if they ever sell there but until then !!

Think I'll bite the bullet and probably do same as gazza and go back to Harley. It's the only make that has country wide networks.

Apart from honda and they don't sell bigguns. Or i'd consider CB 1300

By the way do any of you ride with the clubs? I must have been on about 20 or so runs and apart from Pattaya, Chang Mai & Phuket I was normally the only farang present. Great fun and camorardarie, and they know how to party :D

Reminds me of the Uk in the 70s/80's before yuppies & crotch rockets took over the biking scene.

Ride safe and remember "loud pipes save lives" :D

Are you talking about my muffler? If so, its not imported! Mr. Tsukigi (himself) has opened a small factory producing the mufflers here in Bkk to re-export them back to Japan. He also produces in Japan! I paid only 4,500 baht with that Rainbow color, its cheaper if it comes in the standard stainles steel color. Are you looking for something particular? For what bike?

Much bigger is not practical IMHO.

This what I found after getting the Transalp. 400 is more than enough for me personally. Mostly I'm commuting around BKK/Phatum Thani with the occasional visa run every month or two, to Mae Sot, Ranong or the Cambo border. And I don't really want to get out a big cruiser just to pop to the 7-11 or the next soi for noodles. :D

So, while it may not be 'big'....it's big enough for what I need and how I ride

I mostly ride with the wife so comfort for 2 is essential. That means trogs ( trials) are out although I love em.

My GF's think the Tranny gives a more comfortable ride than the Harley, apart from the wind factor. For me, as the rider, the Harley just has the edge for comfort.

I'm tall 6"2 so steeds,intruders & most medium japs are out. I also should mention although Iv'e owned most types of bikes over the years customs are my fave. Choppers especially. Having owned a few of the jap harley copies they do most everything better except they lack that soul, which counts for an awful lot in grin factor/satisfaction.

I've always liked high or wide bars on my bikes, even the 3 Bonnies that I owned had to be US spec because of the high bars, and that is something that offroaders also provide.(A 'chopperesque' riding position.)

And, the 400 engine is in the 650 frame which makes it stand out even more in traffic, a group or a carpark full of smaller bikes.

But the bike really shines when I can hop up onto a pavement to get around a block in the traffic or when riding along flooded roads.

Best of all. 10 mins to wash it down, whereas it ticks me off getting the Harley gleaming only to get it shited up the next day in the rain. :D

Think I'll bite the bullet and probably do same as gazza  and go back to Harley. 

Are you absolutely sure? :D I went for Harley because at the time I wanted it only for touring. Since then though, I've found a whole new Thailand by venturing along the dirt back roads. Riding along the main routes became boring after awhile, all the towns and large villages soon started looking one and the same.

In fact, I'm even toying with the idea of getting rid of the Harley and trading it in for a bigger offroader. :D

By the way do any of you ride with the clubs? I must have been on about 20 or so runs and apart from Pattaya, Chang Mai & Phuket I was normally the only farang present. Great fun and camorardarie, and they know how to party :D

There's quite a few Harley groups around now as well as groups for choppers of any size or make. Usually you can ride with them without having to be a member.

Some are only Thai, some only Farang, some have both. I like the Thai groups best. :D

Just find out from the grapevine who is going where and then tag along.

hmmm...I wonder if there'll ever be a 'Thai Visa M/C Club'. :D

Ride safe and remember "loud pipes save lives"

They also set off car alarms too. :o

Edited by Gazza