Russian Tourists In Pattaya

stailmanki

Apart from some criticism of their antisocial behaviour you often hear of Russians/East Europeans being accused of being cheapskates.It is proabaly unfair. I have noticed that the Russian currency has the same value as the Thai & was wondering about their cost of living so I did a little reasearch.

It seems to me that for the average Russian family/couple prices in Thailand are the same as in their home country , also their income is similar.Their spending patterns here are much the same as at home & indeed the same as the Thais.Have a look at the figures below, converted in to Thai Baht ,the second set of figures are an average range. I think it is an interesting reference to bear in mind next time you see them drinking at the 7 and haggling with the beach vendors.

Restaurants Avg. Range

Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant 350.22 THB 193.97

Meal for 2, Mid-range Restaurant, Three-course 1,472.42 THB 700.37

Combo Meal at McDonalds or Similar 228.10 THB 150.08

Domestic Beer (0.5 liter draught) 60.19 THB 34.36

Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle) 99.59 THB 53.92

Cappuccino (regular) 105.06 THB 53.04

Coke/Pepsi (0.33 liter bottle) 37.21 THB 26.96

Water (0.33 liter bottle) 27.92 THB 16.18

Markets Avg.

Milk (regular), 1 liter 38.28 THB 28.99

Loaf of Fresh White Bread (500g) 22.31 THB 16.57

Eggs (12) 48.89 THB 39.90

Fresh Cheese (1kg) 287.48 THB 215.69

Chicken Breasts (Boneless, Skinless), (1kg) 187.08 THB 125.40

Apples (1kg) 59.69 THB 48.72

Oranges (1kg) 55.67 THB 42.07

Potato (1kg) 26.34 THB 14.49

Lettuce (1 head) 32.26 THB 19.58

Water (1.5 liter bottle) 29.87 THB 20.10

Bottle of Wine (Mid-Range) 280.02 THB 193.97

Domestic Beer (0.5 liter bottle) 38.23 THB 29.67

Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle) 68.69 THB 46.14

Pack of Cigarettes (Marlboro) 52.15 THB 42.87

Transportation Avg.

One-way Ticket (local transport) 19.18 THB 11.64

Monthly Pass 1,095.96 THB 674.78

Taxi Start (Normal Tariff) 128.52 THB 70.35

Taxi 1km (Normal Tariff) 15.88 THB 10.05

Taxi 1hour Waiting (Normal Tariff) 397.90 THB 180.10

Gasoline (1 liter) 28.12 THB 25.20

Volkswagen Golf 1.4 90 KW Trendline (Or Equivalent New Car) 636,775.90 THB 484,531.09

Utilities (Monthly) Avg.

Basic (Electricity, Gas, Water, Garbage) for 85m2 Apartment 3,280.76 THB 1,617.65

1 min. of Prepaid Mobile Tariff Local (No Discounts or Plans) 1.78 THB 1.08

Internet (6 Mbps, Flat Rate, Cable/ADSL) 513.85 THB 355.88

Sports And Leisure Avg.

Fitness Club, Monthly Fee for 1 Adult 1,957.07 THB 1,071.85

Tennis Court Rent (1 Hour on Weekend) 509.02 THB 215.69

Cinema, International Release, 1 Seat 259.44 THB 161.77

Clothing And Shoes Avg.

1 Pair of Levis 501 (Or Equivalent) 3,330.41 THB 1,939.71

1 Summer Dress in a Chain Store (Zara, H&M, ...) 2,073.64 THB 1,078.43

1 Pair of Nike Shoes 3,406.59 THB 2,619.20

1 Pair of Men Leather Shoes 3,717.85 THB 2,679.63

Rent Per Month Avg.

Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre 20,019.82 THB 10,784.35

Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre 15,044.29 THB 7,711.82

Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre 36,601.12 THB 19,293.33

Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre 25,327.17 THB 14,391.86

Buy Apartment Price Avg.

Price per Square Meter to Buy Apartment in City Centre 82,604.09 THB 44,502.51

Price per Square Meter to Buy Apartment Outside of Centre 60,512.58 THB 34,359.13

Salaries And Financing Avg.

Median Monthly Disposable Salary (After Tax) 25,612.02 THB 15,700.78

Mortgage Interest Rate in Percentages (%), Yearly 13.14 11.00

These data are based on 3747 entries in the past 18 months from 230 different contributors.

Last update : March, 2012

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/country_result.jsp?country=Russia&displayCurrency=THB

Edited by stailmanki

I'm a bit confused, which might be on my part...Could you explain the figures a little more?

You have 3 figures for each category. Which is Thai? which is Russian? The last figure is an average range of something?

I'm a bit confused, which might be on my part...Could you explain the figures a little more?

You have 3 figures for each category. Which is Thai? which is Russian? The last figure is an average range of something?

Sorry it was a little hard to format.

All prices are in Thai Baht.ie what things cost in Russia in Baht

The first figure is an average the second set of figures are a range.

Sorry it was a little hard to format.

All prices are in Thai Baht.ie what things cost in Russia in Baht

The first figure is an average the second set of figures are a range.

Cheers, i understand now. :thumbsup:

In a complete swerve.....

There were a lot of russian students where I was teaching in china (near Russia).

They often seemed aloof.

But, when I was brave and pushed into their groups, they were really nice.

I think a lot of what we see is cultural. Because they are white, we can unconsciously think they are like us and similar culturally, but, at least where I was in China, they behave a lot more like the Chinese.

Of course Russia is a big place. The sth east Russians are Asian, the nth west russians are European, maybe.

Mind you, it always makes me raise my eyebrows when I see someone haggle with the bus driver over 20baht....

I like to think it's ignorance (not aware of the conventions) rather than penny pinching.

• Like 1

Please replace the 'cheap charlie' with 'rude and disrespectful'.

As noted Russians are critisised for their manners & sure some of these people are rude & disrespecful but this was not what I wanted to highlight.

If you saved & came here on holiday with your family you may be more polite but would you spend more money than them if things cost the same or were more expensive than in your home country ? My guess is that Pattaya/Thailand is a fairly cheap destination to travel to for the Russians , I read somewhere here of $650:00 package deals but no bargins for these guys shopping or eating out here.

Footnote: Recently had the pleasure of watching a group of Russian couples at Koh Sak , there was one black sheep amongst them ; an obviously single guy frollicking in the water with the rest, But with a bar girl ( my Thai girl asertained as much) he looked to be the happiest of the lot , may the PfP Is a good deal for them?

I still don't get why so many people get so pissed off at the Russification of Pattaya. I live my life and they live theirs. If I can help them (or any nationality for that matter) I will.

If they want to be cheap, up to them. It doesnt bother me at all. I have also seen Americans etc. haggling over 10 baht. When I first came to Thailand I also haggled probably beyond a fair price but the longer I lived here the more I started to know what a fair haggle was.

They don't bother me so I don't bother them. The older Russians cannot speak English but I have spoke with some of their younger generation and they were quite polite.

• Like 1

think they just have the dont money to spend that needs to be spent here. Westerners have the money to pay for the beers at high prices the Russians here dont. hence 7/11 beer chang and hot dogs, same as the Indians just dont have the cash. but ignorant yes very

Edited by marstons

think they just have the dont money to spend that needs to be spent here. Westerners have the money to pay for the beers at high prices the Russians here dont. hence 7/11 beer chang and hot dogs, same as the Indians just dont have the cash. but ignorant yes very

<deleted>....Royal Cliff, Sheraton, Ambassador are full of Russians and that is far from "budget",or "cheap" "accommodation" many very "in the know people" are spending big bucks on the south side of the city to cater for the influx of eastern bloc tourists, whilst not to everyone's taste..... it still goes on!!

stailmanki, sorry but what's the point of your research?

yes, obviously russia and thailand are pretty close in terms of average costs of living. But as you might guess countries like Russia and Thailand, as well as rest of the emerging world - have a huge distinct between poor and rich, so basically your figures does not reflect anything simply for the fact that a half of those russians who are visiting thailand are way above those standard figures. And obviously others might be way below those standards as well.

I can actually say without exaggeration that quite a lot of those russian drunks who seem like rood and impolite folks who use to argue way loud all over the street with the bus driver about 20 bath change, and wasting thousand of baths same evening at a bar, restaurant and gift-shop, are actually earning no less the average Czechs, Poles, Greeks, Spanish and Portuguese at their homeland.

And off course it goes without saying that most of us no matter of nationality prefer to spend money while on a vocation even though prices might be higher than at your homeland.

So what's your point?

stailmanki, sorry but what's the point of your research?

yes, obviously russia and thailand are pretty close in terms of average costs of living. But as you might guess countries like Russia and Thailand, as well as rest of the emerging world - have a huge distinct between poor and rich, so basically your figures does not reflect anything simply for the fact that a half of those russians who are visiting thailand are way above those standard figures. And obviously others might be way below those standards as well.

I can actually say without exaggeration that quite a lot of those russian drunks who seem like rood and impolite folks who use to argue way loud all over the street with the bus driver about 20 bath change, and wasting thousand of baths same evening at a bar, restaurant and gift-shop, are actually earning no less the average Czechs, Poles, Greeks, Spanish and Portuguese at their homeland.

And off course it goes without saying that most of us no matter of nationality prefer to spend money while on a vocation even though prices might be higher than at your homeland.

So what's your point?

As mentioned earlier I would assert that if consumer goods were the same price In Thailand as in your home country you would not be spending as much , ie a Russian family would spend less than a Canadian family , but Russians are often accused of being tight fisted.

Sure the very wealthy Russians would spend more than the middle income Canadians , but that's rather irrelavant.

Even if, as you think half ? of the Russians that come here have a high income ( I don't think so) they would still spend less Thai Baht than, for example Canadians & Australians who are enjoying a favourable exchange rate.

The Australian family's would be spending a similar proportion of their disposable income as the Russians on their vacation but are not called cheap charlies,,,,,,,,,,,,,, OK ?

If prices are the same in Russia as here in Thailand ,why is Tesco always packed with Russians buying cheap clothes and eating cheaply in the food court ? there are rich Russians here but the vast majority are on all inclusive package tours ,as to are they rude ,well do bears shit in the woods?

How many poster on this Topic have actually take the time to talk to a Russian tourist or Expat???? I have always found then to be just as polite as any other nationality.

Do not confuse the harshness of the Russian /east block language with arrogance it is just a tonal issue and if you take the time to get to know the average 'Joe' Russian he is not much different to you or I ...

They like you/I are just here to enjoy themselves just because they don't not frequent the same bars as you does not make them any less of a person ...Get to know a person first don't just listen and re-quote to bar stool Bigotry

• Like 1

If prices are the same in Russia as here in Thailand ,why is Tesco always packed with Russians buying cheap clothes and eating cheaply in the food court ? there are rich Russians here but the vast majority are on all inclusive package tours ,as to are they rude ,well do bears shit in the woods?

It would seem that there are indeed a few things here that are cheaper than in Russia , I have seen hoards of these guys in Tesco & Outlet too , so the sweat shops in Thailand must be able to produce clothes cheaper than the equivalent in Russia.

Their rudness won't get them any discounts that's for sure so discussion of the same is off topic.

Clothing And Shoes Avg.

1 Pair of Levis 501 (Or Equivalent) 3,330.41, Average – ( Range THB 1,939.71 - 4,702.45)

1 Summer Dress in a Chain Store (Zara, H&M, ...) 2,073.64 Average – ( Range THB 1,078.43 – 3024.32)

1 Pair of Nike Shoes 3,406.59, (Average THB 2,619.20 - 4,313.74)

1 Pair of Men Leather Shoes 3,717.85 THB – Average( 2,679.63 - 5,079.09)

I have had quite a few up close incidents with Russians. Some involve police reports. While I dislike generalisms, it does seem that many Russians just have never been exposed to what we might consider good manners where we might come from and what is acceptable social behaviour here. Language misunderstanding is one problem but petty theft from 7 Eleven, fights over baht bus fares, purposely offering 1000 baht notes for a 10 baht bus ride and other experienced incidents tends to colour my opinion of them negatively. This may have nothing to do with being "cheap" but rather with some of them trying to beat the system in some way.

I have had quite a few up close incidents with Russians. Some involve police reports. While I dislike generalisms, it does seem that many Russians just have never been exposed to what we might consider good manners where we might come from and what is acceptable social behaviour here. Language misunderstanding is one problem but petty theft from 7 Eleven, fights over baht bus fares, purposely offering 1000 baht notes for a 10 baht bus ride and other experienced incidents tends to colour my opinion of them negatively. This may have nothing to do with being "cheap" but rather with some of them trying to beat the system in some way.

If you don't mind answering.What are the police reports generally about ?

Are you in soi 9 or up on the hill mate ?

Edited by Markland

I am in Soi 9 and Banglamung. Offences range from petty theft (lipsticks, make up, bottled drinks etc) from 7 Eleven and/or Central, running off without paying for a meal, domestic fights, traffic accidents, You name it.

I should add that some are victims and none to easy to deal with in terms of attitude.

Edited by petercool

I am in Soi 9 and Banglamung. Offences range from petty theft (lipsticks, make up, bottled drinks etc) from 7 Eleven and/or Central, running off without paying for a meal, domestic fights, traffic accidents, You name it.

I should add that some are victims and none to easy to deal with in terms of attitude.

Thanks for the reply.It must be difficult.Remember one time when a bunch of women(russian ubekistan)somewhere from eastern europe got arrested of r prostitution i think and when they were brought to the station they started going wild signing and all sorts.The video was posted on the net.A few years ago i think

Last time we stayed at the Siam Bayview there were a couple of major groups of Russians & it was NOT a Cheap stay & when we met some people at the Marriott there were many Russians there as well.

If they are considered 'cheap charlies' they must get a heck of a discount

• 8 months later...

Hi All. its a good few years since I was last in Pattaya, although I live in udon thani and my thai wife and I have a small internet shop here,i ve not once come across any russians here, however I do have a thai friend from udon who owns a beer bar in Pattaya and he says the place is heaving with them, from his view he does not like them either and says their currency is worth nothing, so if his view is shared by other thai s alike, then thai s also don t like them. Lets look at this positively, or the heading russians in pattaya. For me its hard to take in as russian people are extremely poor, for example a russian army colonel earns up from 4 dollars per month, so how on earth can so many afford to get to Pattaya,? normaly I would say through criminal activities back in Russia, but with so many, it kinda throws that one outta da window. As mentioned in a post above, air fares are subsidised for russians to get to thailand and so lots cheaper than we would buy a ticket for, but even with cut price below cost air travel, its still too much for most russians, so I remain totaly mystified. I do know with the European situation and thus with fewer and fewer Europeans visiting Thailand, the Thai authorities set about encouraging Russians here and as another post suggested these cut price below cost air tickets cannot last forever and so they may not be coming a few years down the line. I for one am not a lover of russia or russians but for the time anyway you are stuck with them, ignorant as they seem it could be the language barrier that makes them seem arrogent and as above upbringing, Thai s also jump ques you know and if a russian pushes in front of you just push in front of him as I do with thais, it works and causes them embarrasment. If you let them do it then its your own faults, no use moaning after you allowed them to push in front of you is it. I was considering returning to pattaya and buying a condo, however now not as I would hate to end up next to russian youths partying until 4 in the morning and I would just end up in prison for shooting the lot of the disrespectful jerks, and I do mean that sincerely. Thai s however, well blame them as its the authorities who got them all here and in typical thai fashion, they could not care less either as long as tourists were coming with money. NOW MONEY mystifies me greatly as russians just don t have this stuff, take a look on the net if you don t believe me, How on Gods grey earth they could afford it I doubt I will ever know but there is some kind of a RAT here, just dunno what.